• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Now... I finally put my hands on the game.

I was surprised I didn't really like how the game looked on TV. the reduced visual fidelity doesn't bother me that much, but it is how the game looks really washed out and... how do i express it? maybe muddy and foggy... there are other 720p games on Switch but they look sharper than this game. having the sharpening filter in a future update will be great even if there is a performance penalty, because this looks almost unplayable to me. I need it to look sharper than that. but performance is perfect, better than how it was on PS4 when it was released, and loading times are faster, and those elements overall do make this version very fun to play, there is no input lag at all.

On the other hand, the game portable on the Switch screen is magic, and it makes you really wonder... how did they manage to do that? it is still a bit muddy and foggy, but the smaller screen helps hiding some of the problems, and the impressive world and details can become much more apparent. this is insanely impressive for a handheld game.

If you think about playing on TV, don't buy this version (even if you don't have other systems), if you want to play portable, go ahead and enjoy one of the best open world games.

Dec 11, 2017
Just started. Love that this is a thing, and like others, I stopped playing early on other consoles but find myself hooked here. Switch delivers again.

Last edited:

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
If you think about playing on TV, don't buy this version (even if you don't have other systems), if you want to play portable, go ahead and enjoy one of the best open world games.
I play the Switch version on TV even if I do have the PC version already. I bought it solely because it was on Switch, and could now tackle quests uninterrupted. So I say get it on Switch regardless.

...Which now leads me to a "problem" I'm currently having: I think I'm having...Witcher 3 burnout. I've been doing so much sidequesting up the wazoo, all entertaining, and yet, I kinda feel like I need to take a break from this game. I must be going crazy when the soundtrack keeps popping up in my head all the time (especially "Silver for Monsters"). I think I'll be taking a break from it for a short while.

LELELELELELELELE-LELELELE...LELELELELELELELE-LELELELE

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Now... I finally put my hands on the game.

I was surprised I didn't really like how the game looked on TV. the reduced visual fidelity doesn't bother me that much, but it is how the game looks really washed out and... how do i express it? maybe muddy and foggy... there are other 720p games on Switch but they look sharper than this game. having the sharpening filter in a future update will be great even if there is a performance penalty, because this looks almost unplayable to me. I need it to look sharper than that. but performance is perfect, better than how it was on PS4 when it was released, and loading times are faster, and those elements overall do make this version very fun to play, there is no input lag at all.

On the other hand, the game portable on the Switch screen is magic, and it makes you really wonder... how did they manage to do that? it is still a bit muddy and foggy, but the smaller screen helps hiding some of the problems, and the impressive world and details can become much more apparent. this is insanely impressive for a handheld game.

I'm totally fine how the game looks on the big screen, for me it's 80% TV and 20% portable.

The game looks better once you leave White Orchard.

Oct 27, 2017
Still loving this. Being able to play for a bit, then stick it in sleep mode and then grab another bit of time between other things is so good.

I'm finding it harder than the PS4 version though, not sure why! I've died a lot. Also can't find a new silver sword, I'm level 7 and still using the original Witcher silver sword. Steel swords all over the place but buggered if I'm finding any silver ones in any chests or on any missions. It's all diagrams and formulas.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
When the arguments are easily refutable, it's not my fault.
You want folks who are easily confused and don't care about facts, then go talk to Trump's supporters.
Again, what is it with this game and people getting completely bent out of shape when others don't enjoy it. Now we're on to Trump supporters?

I'm enjoying this version but have bounced off the game each time I've bought it before, and I own it on every platform. It's good to know what people are finding frustrating because having had trouble getting into it before, so seeing any of those commonalities is interesting. It's one of, if not the most heralded game of this generation so don't think there's a need to be throwing Trump supporter lines around when people don't take to it.

Last edited:

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying not to get too burned out from all the questing. Just right about now, though, would be a nice time to introduce a new ability to Geraldt.
I already reclaimed the "Eye...something" and Xenovox from Kiera to help reveal locations, but I kinda wish the lamp had more uses than just talking to ghost in Fyke Isle.
I also got new horse reigns from the Tousant merchant after beating him to a race. Overall, there really is a lot of content...too much content for just one playthrough to cover. But my OCD is incessant that I must complete the major Novigrad subquest plotlines.

Kinda wish there were other minigames outside of Gwent. I suck at Gwent.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying not to get too burned out from all the questing. Just right about now, though, would be a nice time to introduce a new ability to Geraldt.
I already reclaimed the "Eye...something" and Xenovox from Kiera to help reveal locations, but I kinda wish the lamp had more uses than just talking to ghost in Fyke Isle.
I also got new horse reigns from the Tousant merchant after beating him to a race. Overall, there really is a lot of content...too much content for just one playthrough to cover. But my OCD is incessant that I must complete the major Novigrad subquest plotlines.

Kinda wish there were other minigames outside of Gwent. I suck at Gwent.
Regarding your spoiler:
both the eye of Nehaleni and the Magic Lamp have further uses throughout the adventure

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Lol, got that one too. I've beaten the game 4 times on consoles so my first experience on PC I've just been going nuts with mods.

www.resetera.com

Essential mods for The Witcher 3?

I've restarted this game about three times and always ended up burning out on it eventually, which is a shame because I quite like it. Anyway, I'm in the mood to continue it right now so I wondered which mods you guys recommend. I'm about 35h into the game and looking for Dandelion in the...

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Got my copy, visually it's better than I expected on handheld mode. But somehow this game gave me my first motion sickness.

Oct 27, 2017
Am I right in thinking the antialiasing isn't always applied? I'm in Crookback Bog and everything seems very sharp and crisp, definite aliasing on edges. If I leave the bog, AA seems to be applied and it all goes a little blurry again. Go bag into the bog and it sharpens up again.

If so an option to disable AA would be nice to have.

Also where the fuck do I get a better silver sword from? Level 8 and still got the standard Witcher one. I can't find one anywhere in the world.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Weird...

EIj_5T2UwAA0EVh

EIj_5TnVUAEJxp4

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Am I right in thinking the antialiasing isn't always applied? I'm in Crookback Bog and everything seems very sharp and crisp, definite aliasing on edges. If I leave the bog, AA seems to be applied and it all goes a little blurry again. Go bag into the bog and it sharpens up again.

If so an option to disable AA would be nice to have.

Also where the fuck do I get a better silver sword from? Level 8 and still got the standard Witcher one. I can't find one anywhere in the world.
Yeah, the game drops AA in intensive sections before dropping resolution. I'm pretty sure they are going to add an AA option soon.

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
I really want to play this game, I have it since release day but I'm waiting for a patch to fix the language problem ):

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
I spent more than hour exploring, and I haven't even saw the griffin LOL. But my eyes can't stand it, this game makes me feel dizzy

Fiocca

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
I spent more than hour exploring, and I haven't even saw the griffin LOL. But my eyes can't stand it, this game makes me feel dizzy

Seriously, give turning motion interpolation on. If you can stand the lag and the few bits of artifacting it makes the game look really smooth. I'm using it and it makes a big difference if you can get tolerate the trade off.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I only have one gripe and I don't know if this is exclusive to handheld mode or not but some characters have bright green, red and yellow polygons covering them in cut scenes, but also in one village I visited the houses did the same.

Does this happen on PC too?

Oct 26, 2017
I only have one gripe and I don't know if this is exclusive to handheld mode or not but some characters have bright green, red and yellow polygons covering them in cut scenes, but also in one village I visited the houses did the same.

In 380 hours in PC and over 75 on Switch I have never seen this. I've seen misaligned body props, missing body parts, missing animations missing textures and enemies walking on air or falling from the sky, but never coloured polygons. Can you show us a screenshot?

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

The innkeep at White Orchard had polygons with a weird flower like texture flickering through her shirt, but that's the only such bug I've seen.

I agree with the calls for an option to remove antialiasing, it's not a high quality TAA implementation, so it basically ends up being both jaggy and blurry, and looking worse than the real resolutions it's running at would make me expect.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I guess it depends a lot on the size of the screen. Mine is 32" and it looks really good. But some people have those crazy 65" screens so probably that the resolution is more of a problem to them...

My TV is not that big, it is a 40 inch screen. still, the game looks really muddy to me on TV. i hope for a future patch to make it sharper even if performance took a small hit.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
LMAO I think I need to watch Gwent tutorial, I keep losing and I'm tired of restarting
There's a lot of strategy. I haven't moved on from the first set. I have a couple of good cards. 3 of the horns that double my power, a few decoy cards that let's me switch out the card and a few cards that let me pick from my already used cards. My leader card let's me clear any weather.

So I slow play my first round. A couple of things: you only start with 10 cards. Unless you have cards that will pick from your pile, that's it. If you use all your cards in the first round, you don't get any more. Except. Like the blue faction gives you a card when you win.

So my strategy is to make the opposing team use up a bunch of cards. If I have a great hand, them I can try and win the round but after 5 cards, I know I need an exit strategy.

If I have a bad hand, my exit strategy is a few ways. If I have a decoy card, I can set out 5 cards and reclaim a good card at the end. It's sort of like getting you to commit to playing 5 cards and then you are left with 5 cards for 2 more rounds, then I'll have 6 cards.

If I have a card that let's me pick more cards, that's to my advantage. The spy card let's me put a card on your side, you get the points but I'll get two more cards. Again, you have played 5, I have played 5 but I'll then have 7. I have you extra points but I was already giving up on the hand. I did set the difficulty on gwent to easy and it shows. The computer is up 10 points but it keeps playing cards, even tho I am giving it points and getting cards.

Some other cards make it tougher. I have a horn card that will double the points of a row. I've had the computer pass on a round, which means they are deciding they have a good enough hand to win that round, then I play a 2 cards, including my horn and beat them, feeling ready to win the next round.

My advice: buy cards at merchants, beat a few on the missions that require you to play gwent and you'll have a good deck quickly.

It's actually fun but it requires you to play a few times. It sucks in the beginning.

I thought I would never play but now I find myself playing it, instead of going to Skellige. As far as card games in video games, gwent is top 5 all time.

It don't play because you may actually like it and get pulled into a black hole of gwent.

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My deck is the northern realms with foltest who can clear any weather effects.
Then I take all weather cards out of my deck, just have 22 normal cards of your best and some dummies for spies and the cards that double your attack.
I think that's a good place to start at least, you can win most Gwent battles in the game with it.