• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
Gwent is sick at this point i feel like i'm only advancing the main quest so i can play aganist new people lol.

Oct 28, 2019
This Dragon Quest XI game on Switch is sick

maSb5xQ.jpg

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Um guys... I suck at Gwent. Don't tell me some quests are dependent on it.

Ah crap, I failed one quest so far.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
you will love the single player Gwent game than
Yeah i got my eye on it now, i wish it was on the Switch tho but it doesn't matter i'll probably buy it on PC later on seems very good.

Um guys... I suck at Gwent. Don't tell me some quests are dependent on it.

Ah crap, I failed one quest so far.
I don't think it's necessary for quests, apart from the specific Gwent quests to get cards, i've never had to win a Gwent game to progress a quest although there are some where you can do it but i think it's optional.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
man, I'm completely overwhelmed in fights by the shear amount of button commands for attacks, magic attacks, escapes etc etc.
When I fight against 3 enemies at once it can get a "bit" frantic. The commands feel more like from a turn-based RPG atm.
I hope it gets better over time. urgh

I'm normally more a simple man when it comes to real-time fighting.

I played gwent 2-3 times, got rekt, and decided that my Geralt just wouldn't be a gambler. I don't get the system.

I'm all for minigames in games but card games are a instant turn-off for me.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't sleep on Gwent, you scrubs. There's a reason it became it's own game on several platforms: players fucking loved it and spent hours playing it in-game. They made actual physical decks you could buy, too (I own them).

I hate cards games, too, especially in games. Gwent is a special little thing, though.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Hated Gwent and I really tried getting into it on PS4. But it has to have some kind of thing I'm not getting, else there wouldn't be a standalone Gwent game. Whatever, I don't like spending time on side activities in games like these anyways (except for good side quests), so I guess Gwent isn't even for me in the first place, really.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't sleep on Gwent, you scrubs. There's a reason it became it's own game on several platforms: players fucking loved it and spent hours playing it in-game. They made actual physical decks you could buy, too (I own them).

I hate cards games, too, especially in games. Gwent is a special little thing, though.

I've tried multiple times to play Gwent and I just can't get it. I just don't understand the system. I'm a reasonably intelligent guy but Gwent makes me feel as dumb as rocks. I guess I need to buy more cards to improve my deck (or make one of the other decks?) but every time I try a game something happens that baffles me.

Also, Silver sword update; level 9, still no new silver sword, still on the original Witcher silver sword. Where the fuck are they?! I'm sure on my PS4 version I had multiple different silver swords by now.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I spent like...80% of the main quest completely ignoring Gwent, because fuck some dumb card minigame. And yeah. It fucking rules.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
I couldn't get into the Final Fantasy mini games (Tetra Master felt completely random), so was skeptical about Gwent - but it is actually well made, has a certain strategical depth and becomes addictive.

I do the following atm: Buy all cards from traders and do Gwent missions as this gives you high-level hero cards, build a northern kingdoms deck with only high-level cards, few weather cards but clear weather as leader ability, and special cards - especially low-level spies (drawing extra cards feels like cheating), the horn, the healer for secondary rounds, the decoy (reuse healer multiple times). Then make sure to have sufficient attack cards in any individual round, and make sure your opponent ends up with none in later rounds (sometimes this means strategically losing a round). Play the same rows as your opponent if possible to avoid weather and don't use your best cards right away, start low.

Last edited:

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, people are hating on Gwent in this thread?

The hell is wrong with you.
I don't hate it. I just don't understand it. I often get trounced by other players who suddenly pull a special card up their ass and I'm like..."Wuuuh?"

I also do not know where all the "low level Gwent players" are.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished the Bloody Baron quest and now i'm looking forward to Novigrad.
This game is still just the best and i absolutely love the Switch version.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I don't hate it. I just don't understand it. I often get trounced by other players who suddenly pull a special card up their ass and I'm like..."Wuuuh?"

It's part of the charm, you don't double your units values or pull out a powerful yet destructible unit until you are sure the opponent most likely doesn't have a destruct-best-unit special card...
low level players are smiths in the first locations and the like, the more you reach new shores, the better they are at the game in these new places. With topcream being the special players (those with a gold "round of gwent ?" texts).

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for money? I wanna buy those Temerian Armor but I only have 100 pennies
Get into the habit of buying stuff you need from merchants and selling back your crap. Pick up everything and find saddle bags to hold more stuff. The swords sell for more as time goes on. You'll be finding swords that sell for a few hundred.

That also means I'll sell off some of my alchemy supplies just to wittle down a merchant to zero. I'm up to 20k in coin.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
Any tips for money? I wanna buy those Temerian Armor but I only have 100 pennies

You are a Witcher, you are supposed to be broke lol.

Everyone starts poor and you will get more money as the games goes by , in the meantime;
1. Loot everything!
2. Save up to buy the bigger saddle bag asap.
3. Sell swords and armor and low level runes to blacksmith, and useless crap to merchant. They sell for more that way. Those lesser runes worth quite a bit at the start of the game. Sell them for money, dont bother upgrading them, you will get better ones later if you even plan on using them.
4. Once you hit Novigrad, sell all the useless books and notes to the book store.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing is, I usually kill the bandits. I have no love for them. They steal, rob and kill.

Then I realized that guards don't like when I 'loot'.

YCyrEbA.gif

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Get into the habit of buying stuff you need from merchants and selling back your crap. Pick up everything and find saddle bags to hold more stuff. The swords sell for more as time goes on. You'll be finding swords that sell for a few hundred.

That also means I'll sell off some of my alchemy supplies just to wittle down a merchant to zero. I'm up to 20k in coin.

You are a Witcher, you are supposed to be broke lol.

Everyone starts poor and you will get more money as the games goes by , in the meantime;
1. Loot everything!
2. Save up to buy the bigger saddle bag asap.
3. Sell swords and armor and low level runes to blacksmith, and useless crap to merchant. They sell for more that way. Those lesser runes worth quite a bit at the start of the game. Sell them for money, dont bother upgrading them, you will get better ones later if you even plan on using them.
4. Once you hit Novigrad, sell all the useless books and notes to the book store.

Thank you!

Another question. How am I suppose to loot when there's a guard?

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Start by playing at taverns and merchants and winning or just buying all the cards you can from them. These matches are easier than the special missions for Gwen, typically, and a good way to practice and build up a quantity of cards.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Really enjoying the game so far 40 hours in, the characters are so expressive and interesting. I think it looks fine on the big screen, 90% of my time is on the TV. Still only in Novigrad, I did a ton of side quests/contracts so far, each one has had an interesting story even if the tracking can get a bit repetitive. The pig one was funny, sounds like that was DLC.

Also glad to hear Gwent is not a requirement to beat the game, after playing the tutorial I hope to never ever play a hand again.

There's a lot of strategy. I haven't moved on from the first set. I have a couple of good cards. 3 of the horns that double my power, a few decoy cards that let's me switch out the card and a few cards that let me pick from my already used cards. My leader card let's me clear any weather.

So I slow play my first round. A couple of things: you only start with 10 cards. Unless you have cards that will pick from your pile, that's it. If you use all your cards in the first round, you don't get any more. Except. Like the blue faction gives you a card when you win.

So my strategy is to make the opposing team use up a bunch of cards. If I have a great hand, them I can try and win the round but after 5 cards, I know I need an exit strategy.

If I have a bad hand, my exit strategy is a few ways. If I have a decoy card, I can set out 5 cards and reclaim a good card at the end. It's sort of like getting you to commit to playing 5 cards and then you are left with 5 cards for 2 more rounds, then I'll have 6 cards.

If I have a card that let's me pick more cards, that's to my advantage. The spy card let's me put a card on your side, you get the points but I'll get two more cards. Again, you have played 5, I have played 5 but I'll then have 7. I have you extra points but I was already giving up on the hand. I did set the difficulty on gwent to easy and it shows. The computer is up 10 points but it keeps playing cards, even tho I am giving it points and getting cards.

Some other cards make it tougher. I have a horn card that will double the points of a row. I've had the computer pass on a round, which means they are deciding they have a good enough hand to win that round, then I play a 2 cards, including my horn and beat them, feeling ready to win the next round.

My advice: buy cards at merchants, beat a few on the missions that require you to play gwent and you'll have a good deck quickly.

It's actually fun but it requires you to play a few times. It sucks in the beginning.

I thought I would never play but now I find myself playing it, instead of going to Skellige. As far as card games in video games, gwent is top 5 all time.

It don't play because you may actually like it and get pulled into a black hole of gwent.

Wow, uh, case in point. This sounds like an absolute nightmare, I'm going to stay far away from that.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, nithing is just horrible all the way around.
Dude was a dick and he deserves to die. But not his son. You'll save the son just so he can be poor. But if I let the herbalist die, it kind of justifies his terrible actions.

I need a patch to kill them both

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
I played on docked last night and it isn't as good as handheld. I want to craft a lot of stuff. but I'm poor AF

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips on how to spend Ability Points?
I worry about this too but I've learned that I love the actual sword play so I focused on the red ones and some signs. It's so slow upgrading that it's hard to notice big changes.

See which abilities you are naturally using and put points into that. For instance, I don't use devotions, just oils and signs and maybe bombs. So I haven't put much into the toxicity abilities.

I think there's a way to change it down the line if you feel like it's not a good build. So don't sweat it too much.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just getting into the game and it's amazing! However I need some help.

I've just done a quest to get a serpentine steel sword diagram but I can't find it anywhere in my inventory now? It says 'recent glossary entries crafting diagram :serpentine steel sword' but when I go into crafting via the glossary the sword isn't showing? I've checked my filters too. Where is it? It's driving me mad.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Just getting into the game and it's amazing! However I need some help.

I've just done a quest to get a serpentine steel sword diagram but I can't find it anywhere in my inventory now? It says 'recent glossary entries crafting diagram :serpentine steel sword' but when I go into crafting via the glossary the sword isn't showing? I've checked my filters too. Where is it? It's driving me mad.

It should be in crafting menu, maybe try to see it at blacksmith.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It doesn't take too long to get the hang of it, and witcher 3 Gwent (unlike 'actual' stand alone gwent) is HILARIOUSLY unbalanced, once you get like halfway through the gwent heirarchy you'll never lose again if you just stick with Northern Realms.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Where in the crafting menu? I can't see any diagrams at all? Do they actually show up as physical items you can sell etc? It's very confusing and actually pretty annoying.

Is there even a blacksmith in the first area? I can't find one.

When you get a diagram, the recipe is automatically added to your crafting. You can see it at the crafting menu at a blacksmith.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When you get a diagram, the recipe is automatically added to your crafting. You can see it at the crafting menu at a blacksmith.
Thanks but why can't I see the sword listed in the crafting menu of the glossary? I can see other swords listed but not this one? How do I even know what mats I need?

Edit for example the viper sword shows up but not the serpentine one. Oh hang on, are they the same thing?

Last edited:

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't take too long to get the hang of it, and witcher 3 Gwent (unlike 'actual' stand alone gwent) is HILARIOUSLY unbalanced, once you get like halfway through the gwent heirarchy you'll never lose again if you just stick with Northern Realms.
Err, that's easy for you to say. But who the hell should I play with first/where the hell should I start? Am I too far down the road to "git gud" and get the good cards?

Oct 27, 2017
I got all giddy and crafted a lovely new silver sword then realised I can't use it until I'm level 37. 37! I'm only level 10.

Still surprised by how good this game looks on Lite, it's a hell of an achievement.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Just reached level 6, and busy doing sidequest. I got lucky with Gwent. I already got Yennefer, Philippa and Villentretwnmerth

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I spontaniously turned off almost all HUD elements (like I did on PS4 back when I played on there) except for the Healthbar and such, and I got to say - this is way more immersive to me. That's what I loved about Skyrim & BotW, minimalistic infos and just wandering around.

Same problem I encountered on PS4, though, that some quests become totally obscure due to the lack of directional orientation. I'm still early on in Velen and encountered
a priest asking you to burn piles of corpses on the battlefield
With not directional clue, I have been wandering around the area until I got to where I had to by looking at the worldmap in the menu.
I mean, this is pretty obvious, but still gets me every time.

Facing this issue this early on in the game again made clear to me that, even with me changing the UI to the style I find more enjoyable, the game just isn't made to be played like that and thus it is more of a self enforced obstacle rather than a completely valid alternative.
That said, I obviously knew what I was getting into with W3, so this isn't meant to be to the game's detriment. I just found it interesting - I guess - in terms of the game's design.

Though I got to admit, I'd like W3 to be as intuitively playable without the HUD as with it turned on.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Err, that's easy for you to say. But who the hell should I play with first/where the hell should I start? Am I too far down the road to "git gud" and get the good cards?
The bets are small so you won't lose much but inn keepers and merchants have cards to buy. You can use that to build up your deck.