• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope we get a patch that gives us more graphic options and fixes some stuttering.. playing on the Switch Lite and Novigrad is ~20fps..

I've been pottering around Novigrad on my Lite and while it's perhaps not quite as smooth as elsewhere, I don't think it's quite 20fps bad.

This far performance seems to mirror my experience on the PS4 version, fine everywhere, minor drops in Crookback and Novigrad; not really noticeable enough to me to be an issue.

I'm still loving the fact that this is full fat Witcher 3 in my hands. The only thing I hope is added is an option to remove the AA, it legit looks better in those areas where it doesn't appear to be present (Crookback Bog for example). I'll take crisper and some jaggies over everything being a bit blurry.

Fiocca

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
Man, I love the music in toussaint. I just sit with it on pause in the background.

I think this is my favourite though.

Soulnado

Alt account
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
Sometimes I just can't believe how good this looks in handheld mode. Those sunsets are a beauty to behold.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Fuck the "music"
Jesus bloody christ, i get that the game plays in a dark and violent age and that they (probably) wanted it to be minimal blablabla but , come on, these are some of the worst depressive tunes I have ever heard in a VG.
Most of the times it sounds like they only hired the violinist from My dying Bride, gave him 10 beers and told him to play 'something'.
God awful

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck the "music"
Jesus bloody christ, i get that the game plays in a dark and violent age and that they (probably) wanted it to be minimal blablabla but , come on, these are some of the worst depressive tunes I have ever heard in a VG.
Most of the times it sounds like they only hired the violinist from My dying Bride, gave him 10 beers and told him to play 'something'.
God awful

Ugh, how can someone's opinion be so wrong. The music is one of the best thing in this game and it fits perfectly to what is happening on screen. Have you been in Skellige yet? It has the most beautiful music in the game, I mean, just listen to this:

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
The music makes you feel some type of way but it's amazing.

Sad, lonely, disturbed, etc. But it's not bad.

Velen and novigrad are going for some feels.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of how this game tries to pull out feelings:

Just got to the mission where the other Witcher
slaughters a village cuz they stiffed him and stabbed him in the back. I was all ready to kill him then he talked about how they spit in your face. Man, I was like, 'say no more, fam'.

Damn, if I don't want kill everyone who spits at me. I run back and get in their face, bump into them. It's hilarious cuz the devs really got it right. You are running to go save someone and you hear it and want to stop the world, like 'Hold up, this nigga trippin.'

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Decoction is OP

I'm level 13 and was trying to kill those 2 wyvern with 2 monster nest, was so happy I could beat them until I destroyed the 2nd nest

and out of the blue royal wyvern showed up LMAO. I almost had a heartattack cuz I didn't know.

I had ekkimara, troll, and water hag decoctions and apllied enhanced draconid oil at that time.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Is wham wham always overpowered? Or should I wait until I get closer in level? Will he just bump up to a higher level?

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
After 60 hours I made it to Skellige. It's beautiful. The music is better too.
Now is the busiest moment of the year for me with 6-7 intercontinental flights per month, so Witcher 3 being on switch is nothing short of amazing.

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After 60 hours I made it to Skellige. It's beautiful. The music is better too.
Now is the busiest moment of the year for me with 6-7 intercontinental flights per month, so Witcher 3 being on switch is nothing short of amazing.

How are you liking it? Still kinda down on it or are you liking it more now?
Just curious.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
How are you liking it? Still kinda down on it or are you liking it more now?
Just curious.

I like it more. I think I was getting burnt out from too much Novigrad.
Also the music is better in Skellige, which helps a lot.

I still believe that Skyrim is more a game for me than The Witcher 3, but not by much.

Having Zelda, Skyrim and the Witcher 3 on the same console is quite something I must say.

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I still believe that Skyrim is more a game for me than The Witcher 3, but not by much.

Having Zelda, Skyrim and the Witcher 3 on the same console is quite something I must say.

That's good, I think a few people don't like Novigrad at least it seems so from some era threads I've seen.
But yeah although they are RPGs I guess Skyrim is more about discovering the world and witcher is more about story and characters.

Fiocca

Banned
Feb 1, 2019

Just wait until you get to toussaint... I completed witcher on pc but didn't get the expansions so never experienced it first time round but playing through toussaint this time for the first time, it blows the other regions out of the water.

Nov 3, 2017
It's incredible that after all this time, I'm still discovering brand new areas and quests. I'm currently on a tyromancy quest (lol!) that I completely missed on my first playthrough on Xbox

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody have trouble with the palio (The horse racing quest for cleaver)?
Doesn't matter what I do the other racers don't start on the finish line and I always lose

DarkJedi78

Oct 25, 2017
OH
Need some help here. I've purchased The Witcher 3, 3 times now and I currently own it on PS4. My issue is I don't get much time to play on PS4 but I do with my switch. Is it worth a 4th purchase? I am a bit concerned about how it looks and plays on Switch. Anyone played it on both care yo weigh in.

Fiocca

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
Need some help here. I've purchased The Witcher 3, 3 times now and I currently own it on PS4. My issue is I don't get much time to play on PS4 but I do with my switch. Is it worth a 4th purchase? I am a bit concerned about how it looks and plays on Switch. Anyone played it on both care yo weigh in.

I've completed it on pc and so had all the bells and whistles and I have enjoyed it on the switch just as much. Yes, it is blurry but I personally got used to it and the quality of the game overrides any issues. But it is a personal thing so it's hard to say you will also see past it.

One thing that improves it to me is putting on motion smoothing on my TV. It makes it feel like it's running at 60fps and although it introduces lag, the game is so janky it feels almost hidden as long as you play with it on from starting the game, but again that is a personal thing that you may not like. One thing is for sure though, I've played tons of hours more on my switch version than the pc as it is great to just pick up and play.

DarkJedi78

Oct 25, 2017
OH
I've completed it on pc and so had all the bells and whistles and I have enjoyed it on the switch just as much. Yes, it is blurry but I personally got used to it and the quality of the game overrides any issues. But it is a personal thing so it's hard to say you will also see past it.

One thing that improves it to me is putting on motion smoothing on my TV. It makes it feel like it's running at 60fps and although it introduces lag, the game is so janky it feels almost hidden as long as you play with it on from starting the game, but again that is a personal thing that you may not like. One thing is for sure though, I've played tons of hours more on my switch version than the pc as it is great to just pick up and play.
Thank you. I would be playing 100% undocked. From what I've read it's better that way. Like you said I think the ability to pick up and play is what I want.

Fiocca

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
Thank you. I would be playing 100% undocked. From what I've read it's better that way. Like you said I think the ability to pick up and play is what I want.

Well in that case, put on some headphones and enjoy! It's perfectly fine handheld because of the smaller screen. It is still a bit blurry but you get used to it pretty quickly. Make sure you go in the settings and turn motion blur off as that also helps. Handheld is also great for playing a quick game of gwent.

Have fun.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Got the game this weekend. I originally played it on the PS4 and goddamn this port is a crazy accomplishment. Yeah the game is blurry but not game breaking and it runs smooth as butter.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Just about to finish the main story, then the dlc.

People said you can get burned out by trying to do everything but I'm not. Even did a bunch of sailing. Then I'll jump back in to do a ng+.

DreTheSage

Oct 27, 2017
Pensacola, FL
Bought it a couple days ago for Nintendo Switch, digitally..... The intro was a long comic... I got lost. Not sure what's going on. Should I just read the novels first before playing? Never played the Witcher before.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Bought it a couple days ago for Nintendo Switch, digitally..... The intro was a long comic... I got lost. Not sure what's going on. Should I just read the novels first before playing? Never played the Witcher before.
Nope. I think someone posted a video to catch you up on the story in the op. Either way, I was still lost but inferred a bunch and I don't think it makes a whole bunch of difference.

None of the key points seemed to require background.

Edit: I know you can change her outfit but the final few missions with Ciri's blouse open, as always, just really highlights how ridiculous it is. Like, it's a good look and the open part is just gratuitous. Some artists just want to make their own waifu.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
So someone please educate me on the WIII's 'graphic stresstest' Novigrad. Apparently all the NPCs etc make it the most demanding area. Thats at least what I read all the time on forums.

Now I played ACIII on my WiiU this weekend and IMO Boston not only has a similar amount of NPCs (or more); it's also bigger and more detailed.
The lightning in ACIII is way worse,ok, but overall I cannot understand what makes Novigrad sooo special.

I'm sure that I'm totally wrong with my opinion but I am not exactly sure why.
Can someone with a better graphic engine understanding fill me in.

Thanks

Ugh, how can someone's opinion be so wrong. The music is one of the best thing in this game and it fits perfectly to what is happening on screen. Have you been in Skellige yet? It has the most beautiful music in the game, I mean, just listen to this:

No, I havent been to skellige yet. i have to admit that this does sound nice.
Its at least better than a badly tuned solo violin randomly kicking in.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I just finished the game tonight. I had a great time, some well spent 100 hours. The world is quite amazing, yet felt somehow underused if not a tad shallow. Especially Oxenfurt.
I'm looking forward to starting the dlcs, but I'll wait for early 2020. For now I need a break.
I think I played more docked than handheld and I found the game beautiful. It didn't feel like a lesser experience than what I could have playing on PC since I own the game.
I hope that more ports like this will come to switch.

Fiocca

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
I just finished the game tonight. I had a great time, some well spent 100 hours. The world is quite amazing, yet felt somehow underused if not a tad shallow. Especially Oxenfurt.
I'm looking forward to starting the dlcs, but I'll wait for early 2020. For now I need a break.
I think I played more docked than handheld and I found the game beautiful. It didn't feel like a lesser experience than what I could have playing on PC since I own the game.
I hope that more ports like this will come to switch.

Do heart of stone first and save the best for last,blood and wine. Toussaint is beautiful to wonder through and the story is decent.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
What is wrong with me? Instead of getting Nsw exclusives like Link's awakening or Tropical Freeze, I am buying Skyrim, Dragons Dogma and am really considering getting this one also; all which I've finished already on ps4. I have a really nice Tv but I haven't been gaming on that for a few months since the Switch is getting all my attention in the limited time I have.
Sell me on this game Era, considering I already own it on Ps4.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Oof. I just corrupted my save data and it's not even letting me start the game. Fucking hell. I tried to load a really previous one but it's corrupted. Now I'll have to go to the oldest one. Wish me luck

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, just deleted my save data and it still isn't loading. I've checked for corrupted data twice and it doesn't find any. I'll redownload the game. I'll be broken if I've sunk 200 hours and it's all gone.

I should have known. Yesterday, I got a weird bug where every loading screen took much longer. Looking at my gear gave a weird green screen.

Well, I have a second switch and I'm trying to download the update now. See if the have works in that switch. I don't think I've ever used that one for Witcher.

Edit: it works on my second switch. There is a corrupted save on it. But after removing all save data on the switch that's not loading the game, it still hangs. Archived the game and checked the data and I think the large update, that's 3 gigs, was also corrupted. So I'm downloading the entire game, then just use the cloud to get back to business. Luckily, I have the other switch, so I can still play on my week off. I've been eyeing this week to plow thru, then start a new game plus.

Either way, it's estimating I'll need a whole day to download this game.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I'm done with the game since a week, but I'm saving the dlcs for later as I'll be in a long business trip before the holidays.

Overall, it was really a special experience now that I've had more time to think about it. The game is definitely flawed and didn't give the strong impression that Skyrim gave (and still gives) me. But it's easily one of the best open world which I've played, and the visuals are really something else. My girlfriend watched me playing while in skellige and even her, who usually doesn't mention this kind of things, made a remark about how gorgeous the game was.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Picked this up on sale, but paid way more for it than I did on PS4... still, I'm just way more likely to finish a 100+ hour RPG if I can play it on the couch, and I'm already appreciating stuff I didn't before.

It doesn't look the best, and there's no way I'm playing it on the TV, but damn if it isn't impressive they fit this on the Switch. Consistently impressed by that sort of thing, and it's exactly the same reason I bought Doom.

Punxsutawney

Apr 18, 2018
Just popping in this thread to give some love to the game and wish everybody playing it for the first time the best of experience! I wish I could go through and play W3 again for the first time.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'm so impressed by how the visuals have been retained. The lighting in particular is still gorgeous. Sometimes fastforwarding to sunset because it's beautiful.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Beat this game again (first time was on PC back in 2016), except this time was on Switch.

The world, plot, and characters are fantastic, but the game is absolutely awful to play. The latter half was so damn tedious with the constant backtracking, the combat is very mediocre (floaty, clunky, not fun), the excessive amount of loot, sections on horse that are clunky and tedious, repetitive dungeon design, etc.. It's such a shame that the game is so unenjoyable to play, because the plot and characters are so well done. Oh well.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The combat is far and away my least favourite part of the game, but I can make peace with it.

Still impressed by how they managed to cram this on Switch with so much of the visual detail retained. The game isn't just functional, it's still legitimately beautiful if you can make peace with the draw distance and compromises. Some might be more sensitive to it than others, but I'm just downright impressed.