• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
I just got to Novigrad so there's that. No offense to other games but this game simply absorbed my gaming time and I cannot fathom why. I mean I mostly know every twist and turn of the story and the world and have already played it with much better graphics on a pretty big TV but still, the intimacy I get with this universe in handheld mode, in bed is unique and engrossing.
Since I breezed through most of Velen/White Orchard, I find I'm lacking ingredients and coin. If I want more coin, the contracts are made exactly for that, but I need bombs -> ingredients... long story short, what is the easiest way to make a quick coin without going through every little side quest again?

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
I just got to Novigrad so there's that. No offense to other games but this game simply absorbed my gaming time and I cannot fathom why. I mean I mostly know every twist and turn of the story and the world and have already played it with much better graphics on a pretty big TV but still, the intimacy I get with this universe in handheld mode, in bed is unique and engrossing.
Since I breezed through most of Velen/White Orchard, I find I'm lacking ingredients and coin. If I want more coin, the contracts are made exactly for that, but I need bombs -> ingredients... long story short, what is the easiest way to make a quick coin without going through every little side quest again?
To me, it was sell all the loot.

In the beginning, I had to walk some places to get more ingredients. Also, if the merchant runs out of money, buy things you need and sell the rest. Also, you can probably sell some alchemy supplies that build up quicker. Only a few alchemy supplies are extremely rare so with enough killing, you'll replenish a bit.

vicarino

Aug 31, 2019
Any idea if some features like language pack downloads, AA disabling option or cross saves are getting patched in at some point?

I finished the base game on my switch after 65 hours and I wish I could share my save withbother platforms, but mostly, I want to be able to play Blood and Wine in French lol.

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
So long story short I've started Witcher and got pretty far in it like 3 times but never finished it. It's getting about time for me to give it another go - which version is running better these days, PS4 Pro or One X?

CoachKevin

Oct 25, 2017
I am watching the Netflix show and LOVE IT. Now I really want more Witcher. I am thinking of trying to get back into the Switch version of 3.

What protips do you guys have for casual RPG fans that like me, felt extremely overwhelmed with the systems of The Witcher 3 when I tried it out on Xbox a while back? I am worried I am going to get so confused with all of the different things you need to do in the systems to enjoy the game?

Thanks!

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
I would love cross save for this. Having the game on the go is amazing, but as I also have it on PC I don't really want to lock a 100+ hour playthrough to this version. Going back and forth would be incredible.

Also really hope its success gets us Witcher 2 and Thronebreaker, they would be perfect

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'm at the "Ugliest Man" quest... I understand I'm pretty close to the end of the main quest?

I'll slow down for a bit. Despite never completing it and having a huge backlog, not ready for the game to be over yet.

How long do Hearts of Stone/Blood and Wine take to finish?

Fiocca

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
Blood and Wine obviously isn't anywhere near as long as the main game, but it is easily long enough to be considered a game in its own right in my opinion!

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
I'm at the "Ugliest Man" quest... I understand I'm pretty close to the end of the main quest?

I'll slow down for a bit. Despite never completing it and having a huge backlog, not ready for the game to be over yet.

About 30 hours. less if you just do the main story

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia

Blood and Wine obviously isn't anywhere near as long as the main game, but it is easily long enough to be considered a game in its own right in my opinion!
About 30 hours. less if you just do the main story

In my case it took around 15 hours to finish Hearts of Stone, but it can definitely took longer when someone tries to find all the loot and unlock more new gameplay mechanics - Enchantings for example
Blood & Wine is massive : finishing first time took me around 55 hours - all main and side quests but not all side activities.. just the main story is around 28 - 30 hours long + many new side quests + many new side activities
And mainly Blood & Wine has big replayability because of 3 or 4 different epiloques/endings and many quests in the expansion having choices and consenquences that in some cases make huge difference

Mar 22, 2019
i'd completely forgotton that i own this on both ps4 and pc - actually beat the pc version way back but barely scratched the surface of the side quests and contracts. the main game is done, and i had left the two dlc's to finish "later".

well now its later and after watching the tv show all i want to do is wander around the CONTINENT and complete all the side quests, contracts, treasure hunts etc i missed before THEN do the two dlc.
fun times!

it looks amazing on my 2080ti and 21:9 screen aswell...way better than i remember.

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
So I got the GOTY edition on PC yesterday after already playing through the base game on PS4 Pro. Are there any mods that you guys recommend and what's the easiest way to install them? I had used the nexus mod manager for a few, but half of them don't seem to work :(

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
The story makes more sense the 2nd time around. But damn if I can keep Temeria, Redania and Nilfgard straight. I've literally tried to study the wiki and can't keep it straight.

I was so upset at the ending of my first play thru when I realized who is in power. That's the good ending? Fuck those guys.

Good job CD projekt.

What's funny is I get to the same quests, thinking I would try a different choice. Nope.

I'm like: 'I can't kill her, we just fucked. With her cute accent.

Although, she did leave me to get eaten by drowners.'

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody experience this? Happened out of the blue. (Didn't want to embed my Twitter but it's much easier to post screenshots this way on mobile)

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I haven't had a crash or a bug in the last 50-ish hours of the game. I finished heart of stone which was awesome (I would say, better than the main quest; I just don't care about Ciri...). I just started Blood and Wine, but I'm tempted to wait for a patch before commiting to it.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I was so upset at the ending of my first play thru when I realized who is in power. That's the good ending? Fuck those guys.

Just to add to this, while there's obviously favourable/unfavourable endings, CDPR's design of quests generally moves away from the arbitrary notion of good/bad outcomes and instead complicates resolutions to prevent perfection. It's always been this way, and what has differed their writing from BioWare, where in the latter quests are treated almost like puzzles to be solved to get the "perfect" ending. It doesn't always work with CDPR, but they try to form more organic quest arcs wherein there often isn't a perfect ending, as life just doesn't work like that. Instead you're left to balance outcomes until one nudges another out at some expense, or results for your decisions are unexpected. This is particularly true of the politics, where getting what you want and a perfect, ideal world just aren't realistic.

It's a hard thing to decondition from if you're used to other, more straightforward and morally binary RPGs. But yeah. It's almost never clear or clean with The Witcher, which is largely part of its charm.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I picked this up on PC during the Steam sale. I feel like an idiot but how the heck are you supposed to mod this game? The other thread on GAF said to use the Mod Manager but I feel like it's unintuitive and can't find a reliable guide on doing it. Can anyone help with a step by step tutorial or anything?

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh god, I'm addicted all over again.

Whyyy could they not do cloud save support so I could carry my progress over to the Switch port? I'd buy a copy for the Switch in a New York minute.

I'm too attached to playing the game on my PS4 Pro when I'm on the TV and can't justify the visual downgrade of playing on the Switch unless it's to continue my progress in handheld mode on the go.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game has taken over my soul.

I'm thinking about it all the time and the quests I want to do, areas I want to explore.

aCid

Aug 18, 2018
Canada
So I've been wanting to get back into this game, and daunting as that idea in general may seem, there just one thing that has been making this process more difficult than I expected.

a few things out of the way first:

-I'm playing complete edition on PS4 Pro playing on a Sony x800D. Any suggestions as to best HDR setting for this would be greatly appreciated!

- I am level 13 and my most recent milestone side quest would be the completion of the Bloody Baron Quest, I think.

So I think I know the answer to this already but, when you're in the menu from the top of the list, there's no way to know if you've read a book already since the little indicator for new books disappears as soon as you scroll down to the next item. THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS! Any suggestions as to what I can do or is that just something I need to deal with?

that's it. Appreciate the help!

TLDR; best HDR settings for Sony x800D and how do you know which books you've already read when scrolling down in the Books.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Right, so I purchased the complete edition for the DLC, but I can't remember anything.

I finished the main game a few years ago, and I don't want to replay that. I want to stick to the DLC, but like I said -- I can't remember the controls or anything.

Are the DLCs begginer friendly?

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Real tempted to play through this year (finally) on Switch. I've opted for 2020 to be a bunch of beefy backlog games. So far I've played Assassin's Creed IV and Rogue. Switcher 3 is on the list alongside AC Unity and Syndicate, and Pokemon Ultra Moon, Soul Silver, Platinum, Black 2, and Sword. Pokemon Home has helped push the older games up on the list as I want to transfer more DS/3DS Pokemon after I finish those games.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I have a PC save file. There is no way to transfer right? (official or unofficial)
Any idea if some features like language pack downloads, AA disabling option or cross saves are getting patched in at some point?

I finished the base game on my switch after 65 hours and I wish I could share my save withbother platforms, but mostly, I want to be able to play Blood and Wine in French lol.
I would love cross save for this. Having the game on the go is amazing, but as I also have it on PC I don't really want to lock a 100+ hour playthrough to this version. Going back and forth would be incredible.

Also really hope its success gets us Witcher 2 and Thronebreaker, they would be perfect

Looks like you're all in luck if your save was on PC:
It seems the patch may have been released in Korea:

www.reddit.com

r/NintendoSwitch - Patch 3.6 for Witcher 3 (KOREAN VER.) has been released

369 votes and 177 comments so far on Reddit

From the OP of the thread:
FYI, graphics are improved (minor) and you can share the save data with STEAM/GOG (I don't know what GOG is though) version.

Some guy posted the difference of the graphics so please kindly go to the following link for the reference.

https://bbs.ruliweb.com/nin/board/300051/read/30646084

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Started playing this again with 3.6 patch and it's a clear difference with AA off and Sharp on High. I've also removed all blur effects and some of the vistas look pretty great. 0 issues with the Switch version, whereas before, there was a layer of blurriness covering it all up.

Also, I must say, these huge open-world games are best suited for a portable system like Switch since I can finish up quests in small chunks and they don't seem that intimidating in this context. Yeah, I have less and less free time.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
Soo I have had this game for a long time but haven't played it because I want to make sure I have the time to get into it. It looks like I have a lot of free time for now. I am looking for a new game to play. Would you folks recommend this? Is it one of the best games ever and a must play? Just looking for some general impressions as I'm reading some reviews on games I'm interested in. Really appreciate it. Thanks

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
Soo I have had this game for a long time but haven't played it because I want to make sure I have the time to get into it. It looks like I have a lot of free time for now. I am looking for a new game to play. Would you folks recommend this? Is it one of the best games ever and a must play? Just looking for some general impressions as I'm reading some reviews on games I'm interested in. Really appreciate it. Thanks

For me it is absolutely a must play.
The story and characters are probably the best in any game I have ever played, the quality of the side quests is just so far above any other game as well.
So if you had the time I would at least give it a shot

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
Hi all. Sorry, one more noob question. Really really early spoilers in my question.

Is there a penalty for looting items in villages? I thought it mentioned something like that on the main villages. But I continued and like on the first quests to kill the Griffin, I meet a Captain and he tells me to see a herbalist and find a hunter. When I see him in his tower and the herbalists, there are things in boxes and stuff I can take. Do I get a penalty for taking any of the stuff like this? Thanks!

Julab

Oct 27, 2017
Hi all. Sorry, one more noob question. Really really early spoilers in my question.

Is there a penalty for looting items in villages? I thought it mentioned something like that on the main villages. But I continued and like on the first quests to kill the Griffin, I meet a Captain and he tells me to see a herbalist and find a hunter. When I see him in his tower and the herbalists, there are things in boxes and stuff I can take. Do I get a penalty for taking any of the stuff like this? Thanks!

Your good to go with stealing just don't do it in front of guards in towns. They don't take to kindly to it.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017

you won't find such an immersive mature fantasy open world rpg,with as great writing and characters as the Witcher 3. This is the best time to delve into this game,once you start it,you'll wish the quarantine will last a long time :D

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
So I am level 16 and have 10 ability points. I been hogging them. What are some good abilities to invest in? Thanks

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Now that the patch is out on switch, and that I have free time (against my will), i finally started Blood and Wine seriously.
Not only is the setting absolutely gorgeous, but it's also better then the base game. I'm playing docked 100% now and it looks great on my monitor.