• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
For all the "hope it's not just RT shadows" comments done prior to this reveal, I do find the fact that the game won't have them a little disappointing. I think the equal softness shadow maps are now a visual flaw that kinda sticks out, especially at the oblique sun angles the game likes to use.

bildschirmfoto2022-11hects.png

This would look much better if the shadow had a proper sharpness fallover across the length of it.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
So are you saying there's a good chance the lighting has been improved even with RT off?
I am very confident they have actually worked on the actual lighting + more, and that the differences will be apparent whether any raytracing effects are on or not. It does not appear that they simply extended the fog distance and then threw RT GI + AO on top of things.

I don't think it's been so apparent yet simply due to the fact that they chose to respect the overall look of the original rather than creating a brand new look, but as more direct comparisons come out it will be noticeable.

Feb 16, 2022
I am very confident they have actually worked on the actual lighting + more, and that the differences will be apparent whether any raytracing effects are on or not. It does not appear that they simply extended the fog distance and then threw RT GI + AO on top of things.

I don't think it's been so apparent yet simply due to the fact that they chose to respect the overall look of the original rather than creating a brand new look, but as more direct comparisons come out it will be noticeable.
Thanks, that gives me some hope. I'd rather play at 60fps, but I also think the original's lighting really needs some upgrades.

Oct 26, 2017
Disappointed in this one so far. Sure they can add RT Global Illumination, but without a revamp of the in-game materials, it still looks last-gen in many respects.Still going to have another go at this one, but at least based on the little they've shown, I expected more.
They changed most materials. The HD Reworked mod already changes thousands of materials and meshes, and they built on top of that for this patch.
The art style obviously stays the same.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Being able to hide and bring up the mini-map is pretty much the only update I needed. Hopefully the map and menus are smoother on consoles, too.

And turning off map markers by default will mean newbies don't have an awful initial experience and play the game like Assassin's Creed.

So I'm happy even before the ray tracing and graphical tweaks.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I m going to pause every game for this patch game. Always wanted to play this game again since watching the netflix show.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks, that gives me some hope. I'd rather play at 60fps, but I also think the original's lighting really needs some upgrades.
Yeah, I doubt they fully got rid of all of the faked lighting techniques simply because that would require completely rebalancing all of the lighting throughout the entire game, but it does seem more balanced.

Of course, they could have just cherry picked great looking scenes to show off the update lol.

edit: one of the worst things about the original is there was a invisible light source attached to Geralt during gameplay that made him "glow" to stand out more in any lighting condition, which of course is not good especially in darker scenes. There were mods that removed it as well as other fake lights, but I hope these changes are simply built right into the next gen update so mods are not required.

2414-0-1496099742.jpg

2414-1-1496099742.jpg

Last edited:

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
For all the "hope it's not just RT shadows" comments done prior to this reveal, I do find the fact that the game won't have them a little disappointing. I think the equal softness shadow maps are now a visual flaw that kinda sticks out, especially at the oblique sun angles the game likes to use.

bildschirmfoto2022-11hects.png

This would look much better if the shadow had a proper sharpness fallover across the length of it.

Maybe it's different for the sun light source, but I'm pretty sure there are RT shadows at least indoors.
Look at this Radovid scene how there are shadows in places where there wasn't before.

image.png

image.png

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
For all the "hope it's not just RT shadows" comments done prior to this reveal, I do find the fact that the game won't have them a little disappointing.
They have really only talked about the console versions - they are not gonna show off PC in its full as they do not want the console players to feel left out. Mark my words, the PC version has more RT effects than RTXGI/DDGI and RTAO.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
I think it may actually have ray traced shadows. Looking at this scene, the shadows from the bushes nearby are very sharp, but the shadows just ahead from the taller trees in the distance are very soft. As the player gets closer it looks as if they begin to blend together rather than the soft shadows becoming just as sharp. Hard to tell and could just be the way the shadows work, but the scene is at about 16:37.

F1YJl5r.png

TheNerdyOne

Oct 28, 2017
Link? I don't see that price

Buy The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – Complete Edition | Xbox

You are Geralt of Rivia, mercenary monster slayer. Before you stands a war-torn, monster-infested continent you can explore at will. Your current contract? Tracking down Ciri — the Child of Prophecy, a living weapon that can alter the shape of the world.

sorry for the late reply. its $10 for the game of the year edition which includes all the DLC, at least in the US.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I watched the stream and wrote up a complete summary.

Gameplay and Features
- Photo mode
- New optional camera, closer and to the side (can be toggled and set for different states, eg exploring, combat, riding, etc)
- Quick casting of signs by holding shoulder button and pressing assigned buttons, to prevent having to go through radial menu
- Map filters to remove clutter, such as points of interest and Skellige caches, for cleaner presentation
- New control options, such as enabling Geralt's spring via control stick tilt, not a button
- Hybrid/dynamic hud and minimap options, such as hiding quest markers in general gameplay, viewed when tapping focus mode
- Subtitle scaling
- Quest fixes
- Cutscene pausing
- Chinese (simplified) dubbing, fully voiced
- Improvements to other languages
- New short quest with returning actors (eg: Geralt) for Netflix content, to unlock Geralt's armour and swords from Season 1 and Season 2
- New optional outfits for Dandelion and Nilfgaard armour, togglable via menu
- Cross saves between platforms (eg: take old save from PC, buy game on PS5, import and continue save from there)
- Additional 'surprises', quality of life features, mod integration, etc

It looks amazing, hopefulyl i can get my gf that loves the show to play it on the ps5 (have it on pc and on switch, but she doesnt want to play it there)

The only thing im really sad about, and that would have made me do another playthrough as soon as it released is finally having a spanish dub (maybe even with the voices of geralt, yeneffer, jaskier and ciri from the show. I love 99% of the thronebreaker spanish dub, but geralt sticks like a sore thumb of mediocrity becuase he was chosen first by capcom for monster hunter). Seeing them adding a chinese dub but not a spanish one hurts, not gonna lie. All their games have been dubbed to spanish after the witcher 3, even thronebreaker, so I was waiting for them to actually dub this one. Alas, they didnt and seeing another country get it but not us makes me incredibly sad.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I think it may actually have ray traced shadows. Looking at this scene, the shadows from the bushes nearby are very sharp, but the shadows just ahead from the taller trees in the distance are very soft. As the player gets closer it looks as if they begin to blend together rather than the soft shadows becoming just as sharp. Hard to tell and could just be the way the shadows work, but the scene is at about 16:37.

F1YJl5r.png
Good catch! I focussed mainly on character shadows on the environment but that looks like something that could be RT shadows. I guess we will see when the update comes out. It would certainly be a welcome addition.

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
"CD Projekt Red has also announced that cross-progression is coming to The Witcher 3 next-gen version, meaning players will be able to share their save between PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, and PC."

From IGNs article! Huge for steam deck users like myself.
This is what I was scouring the thread for, did they mention if the new version replaces the old one on Steam? I have it running exactly how I want on the Deck as is.

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
Realistically speaking I knew that we'll never get 2013/14 era look but man I wish they added "forward lit soft particles" to at least the PC version. It was the number one headline of all that downgrade talk. The fact that it was present in an official Nvidia presentation shows that those files are somewhere in the office hidden deep.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SpPqXdzl7g

tBDtIWtW-qSYIFgfZijaWKXi6k1NvGIDKMVOuSLm51g.jpg

Whitebison

Mar 28, 2018
Barcelona
I wish there's a way with the new cross-save option to transfer my PS4 40 hour save file to xbox !!

The thing is that on ps4 I have the vanilla version + dlc bought separately and the save file it's not the same as the GOTY version....crossing fingers...

I guess I could look for a PC save over internet roughly where I was on ps4 and then transfer it to Xbox....I was in Skellige with a lot of secondary missions done :( Dont' want to start over again...

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Isn't that potentially a bad thing if the new version doesn't run as well as the old version on the Deck
yes hence why some people raised concerns in another thread which resulted in a bunch of people responding like dumbasses and refusing even the option to use the older version on Steam

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I've been extremely disappointed in graphical improvements in this new generation.
Graphics are about workforce and tools / engine more than anything, this days.
And most tools / engine aren't ready yet.
Yeah, I doubt they fully got rid of all of the faked lighting techniques simply because that would require completely rebalancing all of the lighting throughout the entire game, but it does seem more balanced.

Of course, they could have just cherry picked great looking scenes to show off the update lol.

edit: one of the worst things about the original is there was a invisible light source attached to Geralt during gameplay that made him "glow" to stand out more in any lighting condition, which of course is not good especially in darker scenes. There were mods that removed it as well as other fake lights, but I hope these changes are simply built right into the next gen update so mods are not required.

2414-0-1496099742.jpg

2414-1-1496099742.jpg
I hate hero lighting and wished I could have it turn off in Horizon Forbidden West.

Awesom-O_4000

Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone said anything about loading speeds ? That was the main thing that prevented me from completing the DLC's , it took so damn long. Hope they have trimmed it down to an acceptable degree.

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
The potential is there, sure, but all of the changes seem to be optional, just settings above current Ultra.

That's good to know at least, was worried that the textures etc would not be optional.

yes hence why some people raised concerns in another thread which resulted in a bunch of people responding like dumbasses and refusing even the option to use the older version on Steam

Not familiar with the other thread but it seems keeping the option of the older one is the sensible thing to do, even though maybe it is messy. Does Steam allow for 2 versions of the same game? My only real experience of Steam is with the Deck.

Nov 25, 2017
Finland
They have really only talked about the console versions - they are not gonna show off PC in its full as they do not want the console players to feel left out. Mark my words, the PC version has more RT effects than RTXGI/DDGI and RTAO.
Makes sense but with their track record I can't shake the feeling of setting myself up to another disappointment - though I don't think nothing official about some uber PC version has been said.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
That's good to know at least, was worried that the textures etc would not be optional.
Not familiar with the other thread but it seems keeping the option of the older one is the sensible thing to do, even though maybe it is messy. Does Steam allow for 2 versions of the same game? My only real experience of Steam is with the Deck.
Iirc you have to go into the game settings on steam and opt into the older version like you'd opt into a beta version. a recent example is some the resident evil games (which raised the minimum required specs with a new version supporting raytracing) :
www.eurogamer.net

Capcom reactivates previous versions of Resident Evil PC games after "overwhelming community response"

Capcom has reactivated the previous versions of Resident Evil 2, 3, and 7 on PC, following player feedback. After the C…

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I imagine the RT implementation differences between PC and consoles should be the same as in Cyberpunk, no?

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Wonder if they improve the combat a bit.
You no longer have to go into the radial menu to use signs. Not sure about other combat improvements - check out the videos.

I imagine the RT implementation differences between PC and consoles should be the same as in Cyberpunk, no?
Cyberpunk only has RT shadows on console, which is barely worth the halving of frame rate according to many (myself included).

Considering TW3 is a significantly older game and lighter on PC hardware, I would hope we get the full suite of RT features on console this time around, albeit with some reduced quality settings.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I actually don't own this though I played the base game and was thinking of purchasing for a console. Should I read into the fact that they showed WAY more Series X footage vs. PS5, and the PS5 one looked worse (fighting the dead green woman in the churchyard). I have both platforms and want to grab it before these sales are over, because I would assume price will go back up a slight bit as they launch all the new stuff.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
You no longer have to go into the radial menu to use signs. Not sure about other combat improvements - check out the videos.

Cyberpunk only has RT shadows on console, which is barely worth the halving of frame rate according to many (myself included).

Considering TW3 is a significantly older game and lighter on PC hardware, I would hope we get the full suite of RT features on console this time around, albeit with some reduced quality settings.
Ah, makes sense. I thought Cyberpunk had RTGI too.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My thoughts:
  • Who the hell is going to use the ballsack armor, lol, the game version looks so much better it's embarrassing.
  • The Netflix Geralt armors are okay I guess, but the new Chinese-inspired(?) armor looks sick and I'm totally going to use that.
  • Shame they didn't add transmog.
  • Quick-casting signs is amazing and I'm surprised it wasn't there from the get-go. This will make playing with a controller so much more comfortable.
  • The new auto-hide minimap during exploration and hiding question marks from the default map view features are amazing, I'm gonna try playing the game Elden Ring-style, with no minimap whatsoever this time and not having the question marks on the big map will finally make that possible.
  • I don't think they've mentioned it, but it would be a shame if they didn't include the mod that shows all quest objectives on the map, and not only the one that is currently being tracked
  • Can't wait for the mod which gives Jaskier the new face and his old clothes, I never liked his moustached look and the Netflix-inspired outfit makes him look terrible. He looks the best in Witcher 2.
  • Shame to hear there's not going to be RTGI on consoles in the performance mode, guess I'm staying on PC. Hope the DualSense features work on PC too (doubt it though).
  • Touting fixing completely broken quests as a feature of a next-gen patch is laughable.
  • Cross-saves are nice I guess
  • It looks like they changed something with Hairworks, either made it more realistic or disabled it on the loose hair on Geralt. Either way, it looks much better.
All in all this is pretty much exactly what I expected. Definitely enough for me to finish the game for the 7th time or so.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
I am happy for the console folks for them it looks like a major upgrade. As I feared though on PC it won't come close to looking as good as a fully suite of graphics mods.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
I still haven't played any Witcher game but got this for 10€ after the PS5 upgrade was announced, I hope I enjoy it but I'm glad I'll be able to experience it in such great conditions!

Xalbur

Mar 30, 2019
I am happy for the console folks for them it looks like a major upgrade. As I feared though on PC it won't come close to looking as good as a fully suite of graphics mods.
Look at it this way: this adds a lot of features that mods could not implement (like RTGI) and mods can now build on top of that to make it look even better.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't match the lighting up exactly but there's still a clear visual upgrade:

2022-11-24_1521_2dyetm.png

vlcsnap-2022-11-24-88mtdth.png

thewitcher3screenshotrke1h.png

vlcsnap-2022-11-24-1668ie1.png

https://imgsli.com/MTM1Nzk3

https://imgsli.com/MTM1Nzk4

(PC running at max settings 4K)

Ooh, nice. In the top example, that's a perfect example of where RTGI can make a big difference. You're in a darkened area from the forest, and you have the bright area outside. It's just so much more dramatic and realistic than in the base game.

In the second example, it's not a huge difference, but the RTAO is definitely helping make that foliage look more realistic.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
The individual fingers in that comparsion having their own defined shadows speaks for RT shadows as well. No way they have shadow maps that high res that they capture the individual fingers there.