• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Witcher 3 or The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild?

• The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Votes: 303 50.5%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 297 49.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These are the two open world fantasy game behemoths of our era. Both of these titles received rave acclaim, went on to influence subsequent open world games, have a legion of fans, and are generally considered as pinnacles of the open world 'genre'. Both games widely top the 'best of the generation' lists worldwide. Both games have 'Wild' in their title.

Okay, that last one was a joke.

What I am getting at here is, even though The Witcher 3 and Breath of the Wild are both superlative games, and both set out to do very different things (and do them exceptionally well), comparing them isn't exactly out of the question. So I figured that what I'll do. ResetEra- which of the two do you like more, and why? Please make sure to specify why you like the one you do like more.

I'll start off with my pick- it's Breath of the Wild. There are multiple reasons as to why I prefer Breath of the Wild:

• The level of interactivity is far beyond that in The Witcher 3
  • The scope for emergent gameplay situations is fantastic and far beyond The Witcher 3
  • The open world is an integral component of the game's actual core design; contrasted with The Witcher 3, where the world exists as the backdrop for the story, but rarely features into the actual gameplay
  • Breath of the Wild encourages and rewards exploration far more. You're left to your own devices to follow what you think is interesting, as opposed to being given breadcrumb trails and map markers
  • Combat in Breath of the Wild is far better and more interesting
  • Movement, agility, game feel, and controls are all far better in Breath of the Wild
  • Breath of the Wild's various gameplay systems and mechanics actually come together with purpose- take weapon durability. In BotW, it is central to game progression and balance, and the game as it is simply cannot exist without it. In the Witcher 3, the durability is there for... what reason? It doesn't actually do anything. Your weapons can and do break in combat (though not as easily as in BotW), but there's no mechanical purpose for that happening, especially since fixing them requires you to just have a repair kit on hand. It's needless busywork. Similarly, inventory constraints (encumbrance in TW3, slots in BotW) are far more meaningful and better integrated into the larger gameplay and systems in BotW (where they tie into the survival and scavenging systems) than in The Witcher 3, where they are just... there?
  • Controversial, but the actual gameplay design of The Witcher 3's quests is banal and too often can be reduced to 'Follow breadcrumb/use Witcher sense/Follow Witcher sense trail/trigger cutscene/repeat. It is important to note that I am not talking about the quality of the writing and the contextualization for these quests (which is second to none and goes a long way in making these quests seem varied in spite of a repetitive gameplay loop)- I am talking about the actual gameplay and structure itself, which is really rather simplistic and repetitive.
None of this is necessarily to put down The Witcher 3, incidentally- I adore The Witcher 3, it's one of my favorite games of the generation. As far as the actual level of writing and world building goes, I don't think anything comes close to The Witcher 3 (and it runs circles around BotW in those regards). The quality of contextualization and side quests is far beyond BotW as well. TW3 does what it does really well. It's just, for me, I place, ultimately, more of a focus and emphasis on gameplay and mechanics than context and storytelling in games (though the latter are important to me to some degree, but not as much as gameplay), and in those regards, BotW is simply unmatched.

But I am eager to see which one you like more, and why. :)

Realeza

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are both trying to do incredibly different things, lmao. One has a strong focus on story and basically everything revolves around it. The other has a strong focus on gameplay and systems, and everything revolves around them.

Breath of the Wild is the game of the generation. Witcher 3 is incredibly close tho.

Oct 26, 2017
I cant compare two different games only because "they are open world".
One is an action/adventure and the other is a western RPG, with different targets and game design.

Oct 28, 2017
These games are trying to do two completely different things. They're not comparable.

Now let's get down to the real question. Forza Motorsport 7 vs. Mario Kart 8. What's better?

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
While both are open world, they represet completely different ideas of what an open world game should look like and how the world itself should work.

With that said, The Witcher 3 is my personal favorite (but then again, The Witcher is my favorite franchise) but both are amazing games and represent some of finest work made by devs in the past few years.

shepcommandr

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Apples vs Pizza.

Zelda was an open world game based around play agency and exploration.
Witcher was a narrative driven open world RPG.

Just because "open world" is shared as a check box in the game design doesn't make the games comparable.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I give shit to the combat in the Witcher 3 I prefer it to Breath of the Wild. I just started running past most enemies after a while in that game because they weren't fun to fight at all even with all the creative systems working together.

The Futurist

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay aside, the world of the Witcher feels real.

Real characters going about their business with Geralt running around doing whatever.

The world in BOTW is pretty much a wasteland. While it looks amazing at times and is varied in terms of environments, it doesn't really feel like a real place.

Give me a Zelda game with the interactivity of Zelda and the world of the Witcher.

Oct 25, 2017
This is like comparing Mario Kart to Gran Turismo. Yeah, they're both racing games but they're trying to accomplish very different things.

Oct 25, 2017
Witcher 3 excels in narrative while Zelda excels in gameplay and exploration.

While I liked Zelda's characters and charm, Witcher is on a whole nother level.
On the other hand, Witcher feels rather poor to play. Clunky movement and boring combat.

I like them both quite a bit, but I think BOTW achieves the best balance of open world games this generation.

Anjin M

Oct 27, 2017
The Inland Empire
The takes are super hot on ResetEra today.

The Witcher 3 is aiming for a different target than Breath of the Wild. Of course it's going to come off poorly if you're judging it against metrics it wasn't trying to achieve.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These games are trying to do two completely different things. They're not comparable.

Now let's get down to the real question. Forza Motorsport 7 vs. Mario Kart 8. What's better?

This is like comparing Mario Kart to Gran Turismo. Yeah, they're both racing games but they're trying to accomplish very different things.

As I acknowledge myself, both games are trying to achieve different things and are different interpretations of the open world- but they are really not as far apart as Mario Kart and Forza or Gran Turismo. As an example, this comparison, I argue, makes more sense than BotW vs Horizon, and that's one that I've seen made plenty of times.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For me Breath of the wild is game of the year, but Witcher 3 ended up turning into my #1 rpg of all time.

Biggest issue with Breath of the wild is that really there was no reason for the story and characters to be so weak. You were playing the game for everything but the writing, main story and characters. But I care too much about the writing and characters in a game to just let that fly.

Witcher 3 gave me two of the best expansions in gaming history as well, one which caused massive debate among communities when it won rpg of the year even if it's not technically stand alone.

Where Witcher 3s combat was a weakness it still never became a stressful aspect for me. On Breath of the wild I was constantly stressing about breaking my stronger weapons so I never used them. The mechanic of weapon duration hindered my experience.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
These games are trying to do two completely different things.

I hate to drive by post but:
I wish the Witcher III tried to do gameplay.

The most engaging things in the Witcher III are its story, its world, and Gwent.

The least engaging things are its floaty controls and loose feeling combat. Zelda BOTW definitely is the better game... From a gameplay standpoint in my opinion.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Witcher 3 has more interesting sidequests and more variation in content. Both battle systems are average.

Link feels more fluid because he can climb mountains while Geralt is walking like he has a tree on his back. It is a toss up as both overworlds are amazing.

Sylmaron

Oct 28, 2017
Witcher 3 is my favourite game of all time so there's that. But I agree that both games try to accomplish different things. Still...

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_mkws36UgVu1ry10fwo1_400.gif

Two generation defining games for very different reasons.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The takes are super hot on ResetEra today.

What is the hot take here? I've posted a pretty long, well backed up argument where I've also taken care to note what Witcher 3 does well, and even concluded with me admitting my preference for one over the other comes down to what I like in my games. That is the exact opposite of a hot take.

For me Breath of the wild is game of the year, but Witcher 3 ended up turning into my #1 rpg of all time.

Biggest issue with Breath of the wild is that really there was no reason for the story and characters to be so weak. You were playing the game for everything but the writing, main story and characters. But I care too much about the writing and characters in a game to just let that fly.

Witcher 3 gave me two of the best expansions in gaming history as well, one which caused massive debate among communities when it won rpg of the year even if it's not technically stand alone.
I do agree the narrative of BotW is rather poor (though I feel it compensates for some of it via environmental storytelling), but at the same time, I struggle to think of how they could have a stronger narrative with the extent and degree of openness they were going for.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Hmm, my initial reaction is that they're two very different types of games that happen to both have an open world. The Witcher is all about the story, NPC interaction and combat. Zelda (well, BOTW) seems a bit more of a sandbox.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Witcher 3. More interesting story, dialogue and choices. More interesting characters. I like the combat more. I think, aside from horseback riding, the game plays great. The level design is beautiful in W3, along with the graphical fidelity.

I like W3 combat. I don't see how it's boring. In Zelda, the constant switching between broken weapons feels than being able to find and craft a better sword.

Plus I just prefer Witcher 3's adult oriented story telling.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Emergent gameplay, interactivity and exploration are key aspects of Breath of the Wild because it is a sandbox game. The Witcher 3 on the other hand clearly is not. I have not played Breath of the Wild so I cannot judge on which game I like most though.

Oct 26, 2017
Personally I played about 200 hours in Witcher 3.

Zelda, I made it up to the water beast, and haven't played it since. Just not my cup of tea I guess.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
What is the hot take here? I've posted a pretty long, well backed up argument where I've also taken care to note what Witcher 3 does well, and even concluded with me admitting my preference for one over the other comes down to what I like in my games. That is the exact opposite of a hot take.

I do agree the narrative of BotW is rather poor (though I feel it compensates for some of it via environmental storytelling), but at the same time, I struggle to think of how they could have a stronger narrative with the extent and degree of openness they were going for.

This is quite literally the 'problem' Witcher 3 solves. It is an open world game with tons of meaningful and story rich sidequests.

Nothing about BOTW's design stops Nintendo from doing this. They simply chose not to.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay-wise, Zelda by a country mile. TW3 just feels very clunky to play, especially the combat, but when it comes down to presentation and narrative, TW3 kicks BotW's ass.

Personally though, I preferred Zelda.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer Witcher 3. I played through a lot of Breath of the Wild on Wii U early this year and then started a fresh playthrough on Switch this weekend, and one of the things I've noticed is that there's just very little reason to do anything aside from "you can". The rewards for your effort almost always pale in comparison to the effort you put in, and almost every combat scenario is a net loss for the player.

Meanwhile, almost everything you can do in the Witcher, even smaller quests, has a meaningful reward, be it character development, dialogue, or gear. The open world might not be as vast, but it feels like more thought was put into populating it with content that's actually worth doing.

While I certainly liked the game, I think Zelda just has too much breadth and not enough depth, and the loot system needs a severe overhaul. It'll never win at story, but a smaller number of shrines, more full dungeons and better weapon mechanics would make Zelda almost peerless in the gameplay department.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Well I do enjoy the combat more in BoTW, but that was about it. Outside of combat I thought Witcher 3 was one of the best games ever made. BoTW was overall one of my largest disappointments, I just did not like the game.

Gozert

Oct 28, 2017
Rotterdam, Netherlands
I love them both about equally, but for very different reasons. I put in more than 150 hours in both games, and I want to revisit both at some point. Thankfully, I don't have too choose. :)

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
This is gonna come down to preference. Why do you play your games? For story, characters and shiny graphics. Then it's the Witcher.

You dislike intrusive cutscenes, like freedom of exploration and charming simplicity? Then it's Zelda.

Anyway, TW3 since I'm part of the first crowd.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is quite literally the 'problem' Witcher 3 solves. It is an open world game with tons of meaningful and story rich sidequests.

Nothing about BOTW's design stops Nintendo from doing this. They simply chose not to.
  • Set up Mouseover Popup Image Viewer
This would be incorrect, given the level of openness in BotW is far beyond the level of openness in TW3.

I do think Nintendo could still have achieved better storytelling in BotW even using their chosen format (if all four beasts had been like Zora/Gerudo as an example). But TW3's style of storytelling would categorically not work for BotW.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
This would be incorrect, given the level of openness in BotW is far beyond the level of openness in TW3.

I do think Nintendo could still have achieved better storytelling in BotW even using their chosen format (if all four beasts had been like Zora/Gerudo as an example). But TW3's style of storytelling would categorically not work for BotW.

This statement says nothing.

Nothing about how 'open' Zelda is prevented it from having zone-spanning sidequests. The only thing Nintendo needed to do was to put some meat on the VERY skeletal and trite sidequests. THAT is what Witcher 3 does that seperates it from most open world games.

StrapOnFetus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TX
I remember my girlfriend showing me The Witcher 3 and she was following a linear path and I asked her if she could climb up the walls and she said no as opposed to something you could do in Zelda breath of the Wild. I found that interesting.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Witcher 3 just because botw has too many problems (inventory, dungeons, bosses, story, ect...) for me...

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Ultimately it comes down to this. If you can't fathom how a design of Zeldas nature could come with a stronger narrative, it doesn't really seem like you are putting much thought into it. Because we've had plenty of open world games with strong narratives that are about going out and exploring, learning about backstory. Hell, horizon zero dawn did a decent job at this even if I never returned to it. Skyrims whole point is to do everything but the main quest because the writing is horrible, but structurally outside of a few questionable choices of locking mechanics behind the main story you can have a main story that progresses when you visit certain places.

Breath of the wilds story structure was to tell you to visit a location and see a cutscene of a past event. But that was for the backstory. The main driving force for you was to once again do puzzles, save princess. Nothing stopped from having Zelda be more than what she has been for ages.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This statement says nothing.

Nothing about how 'open' Zelda is prevented it from having zone-spanning sidequests. The only thing Nintendo needed to do was to put some meat on the VERY skeletal and trite sidequests. THAT is what Witcher 3 does that seperates it from most open world games.
That I absolutely agree with. While BotW definitely has some good side quests (Tarry Town, Seven Sisters, and the Kakariko arc are the standouts), on the whole, I felt this was one area they could have beefed up the game more in.

I was speaking in terms of larger narrative movement.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
The biggest failing of Zelda's open world is that it doesn't feel lived in. At all. It felt like a fantastic - but sterile - playground. Moving around was great and i liked finding stuff, but i didn't connect to that world at all. Other titles in the series, like Majoras Mask did a much better job with world building imo.

What makes me love the witcher 3 is that i find story, and lore everywhere i go and up to a point, how things are placed, what people live there, their problem ect. are believable.

I don't really feel the need to "pick" either of them though.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
I like both games, but I'll give the vote to Zelda because I liked the combat system more. I didn't really like combat in the Witcher 3 and I turned the difficulty down to easiest mode. The game is very long and I didn't want to lengthen it more than necessary by having to repeatedly go through difficult areas of the game. However, I loved everything else about the Witcher 3 (graphics, story, etc). There's a lot of game for $60 plus the expansions were done really well.

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think Witcher 3's open world is anything to write home about. Witcher 3's strength imo comes from its good writing and world building. It's a good game that just so happens to also have an open world.

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Incredibly different games. I love them both, Witcher for its characters, world and stories, and Zelda for the incredible sense of adventure, freedom, exploration. Witcher was my GOTY that year, and Zelda will be my GOTY this year.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Both are great, obviously, but I enjoyed very different things about them:
  • The Witcher 3 was like Skyrim but with the level of storytelling that you would only expect to find in an extremely linear, authored experience like The Last of Us
  • Breath of the Wild was like Skyrim but with the level of experimentation and mechanical depth that you would only expect to find in an Immersive Sim like Dishonored

Assassin's Creed Origins is actually a really great blend of both games. More people should give it a try. Alongside Prey, it's the best game this year that most people aren't paying attention to.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Witcher 3.

Look. Zelda is a great game. But the open world overall, it's barren. It's made to explore, but the towns, NPCs, the world overall, it's so bland and boring compared to the Witcher.

Witcher's world lets you feel like your actually living in it. It wasn't made for you, it isn't a playground for you. It's living and breathing, NPCs are alive, and your experiencing it.

Quests are also better in Witcher. I don't think anyone will disagree here so I won't explain my decision.

Combat is better in Zelda, but overall I felt both were lacking, but adequate enough for the overall game if that makes sense. Honestly, this is my own fault. I want devil may cry from these games but I know that won't happen lol.

Graphics, art design, and sound I'd give the edge to Witcher, but both of these games are amazing in each category.

Oh, I also prefer the horse controls and mechanics in Witcher over BotW.

Edit: oh and the DLC in Witcher is fucking amazing. Hopefully with Champions Ballad we get something similar to Witcher's dlc quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.