• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Witcher 3 or The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild?

• The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Votes: 303 50.5%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 297 49.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm gonna need to see some receipts here, because as far as I remember TW3 has plenty of memorable female characters with their own agencies.
Wasn't part of the appeal of the witcher trying to sleep with all the female characters? I know in the first two games he slept with a ton of women. You even got weird pictures of naked women as trophies. I've only played a couple hours of tw3 so not sure if it continues this crap

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Wasn't part of the appeal of the witcher trying to sleep with all the female characters? I know in the first two games he slept with a ton of women. You even got weird pictures of naked women as trophies. I've only played a couple hours of tw3 so not sure if it continues this crap

What's wrong with that? sex is perfectly normal where i come from, and it's not like he objectifies his sexual partners or anything, most are strong women.

Last edited:

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have to say, coming from some one who prefers Bethesda games cause they are more the style game I like (and I've gotten the impression I'd love Zelda cause the same but I have no Nintendo to play it), how come we dont have more people realize is with the constant comparison of Skyrim/Bethesda games and Witcher? People love talking about how Witcher > Bethesda games but I find if you are trying to find a game that fixed what you don't like about Bethesda games but you like the type game Witcher really wouldn't scratch that itch (New Vegas would though).

I haven't played BOTW but I get the impression skyrim would be a better game to compare who did better with BOTW. And I can say skyrim and Witcher are really not the same type game having played both.
have you seen comparisons between BB v W3? Lol. I would say Skyrim v W3 comparisons is more acceptable than BB vs W3, but even then, some portion of people just fail to see what particular game is actually trying to achieve and that's applicable to both sides.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but The Witcher 3 takes this one easily. The game actually had a story, for one. And it's not like I dislike BoTW, either. I still play it to this day. But the atmosphere and world building of The Witcher universe is on another level. Maybe Nintendo will get there in the next game.

Gingerbeer

Oct 31, 2017
I'm going to have to sit on the fence too. Both amazing games with some similarities, but as many people have said, they are doing different things so for me it's very hard to compare. If I had to give it to one, it would probably be BotW. Main reasons for me are:
  • Shortly after playing through it once they released the expert mode - I went straight back in and was totally addicted a second time. I've only played through Wild Hunt once.
  • Admittedly not an attribute of the game, but for shared playing experience, both my wife and I were playing BotW at the same time - learning off one another etc. That was great. She wasn't interested in Wild Hunt, although did hang around quite a bit while I played it on the TV.

Random scary fact that I discovered while pondering this question - total across both games is basically 3 whole weeks of my life. What an amazing 3 weeks though - both were so hyped, but for me both delivered.

swimming

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What should I play first out of the two? I don't want one to feel like a regression after the other so I'm assuming play BOTW first so the graphical leap won't be as drastic? Have these two and HZD practically only played for an hour but just want to focus on one.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What should I play first out of the two? I don't want one to feel like a regression after the other so I'm assuming play BOTW first so the graphical leap won't be as drastic? Have these two and HZD practically only played for an hour but just want to focus on one.
Uhhh, depends, if you're more story oriented, BotW is a regression from TW3. If you're more gameplay oriented, TW3 is a regression from BotW. Play them in the order that aligns with your priorities more.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
I'm gonna need to see some receipts here, because as far as I remember TW3 has plenty of memorable female characters with their own agencies.

You mean in the game with multiple empowered women characters who consistently kick ass and take names? Vs the game where the main female character is a disembodied voice begging for your help?
I didn't say Zelda was any better with female characters simply that it was less overt.

The main female characters even Ciri are overly sexualized. The witches look the they do due to magic and wanting power and even if you ignore that geralt can romance a whole bunch them with little effort. I guess that's the issue with the books but it's still a problem I have with the games.

MagnesG

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is thoroughly only my own opnion.

About W3 story, you guys are aware that the tear-jerking/amazing ones were always a rehash or a continuation of the story related to original source? I mean they just study the books and create dramatic approach after the story matchmaking process, while also adding bit of bloat which from my experience, ruins the story. My take go read the novels, see how the author does it better.

Their original story from DLC, not so much, because they also heavily refers to other lore, such as draculas, fairy-tales, immortal person, and even Gaunter O' Dimm is referenced from polish lore. The plot performs at standard average, because filling a half-filled cup turns down the excitement and makes you question more of their plot execution, which IMO is so savage to finish through the end when combined with their mediocre combat.

At some aspect, I would rather appreciate an Uncharted-esque Witcher story, or point-and-click maybe, with incredibly detailed world-building slideshow (the only strong point, although that had already been improved through generations, nothing can excite me anymore).

And all the hope to kindly digest the story is burned by the gameplay, wth when you're so engrossed at opening thinking for the plot you're stuck with fences, jump button and walking stairs. Eventually I resorted to just watching the full walkthrough from youtube, really sad that's how much I hate the combat.

My point is, bad gameplay will severely disable you to enjoy the story. I mean, it's a GAME so let the gameplay be good. If not, better save the story for making visual novels, still can make multiple choice lol.

Btw, all intended gameplay mechanics from BOTW is quite fun. You just play with the mindset of a real survival adventure.

Last edited:

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Witcher 3. Loved every minute, put like 80 hours into it. Not even a fan of RPGs but the game hooked it.

Meanwhile I hated BotW. Boring game, didn't look good graphically, performance was meh, main quests were all the same repetitive crap bla bla bla.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think were witcher 3 suceeds, BOTW fails. But the oposite is also true.
Witcher have fantastic quests and BOTW have the best world ever created. Just imagine a mash-up of both

JChung55

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say Zelda was any better with female characters simply that it was less overt.

The main female characters even Ciri are overly sexualized. The witches look the they do due to magic and wanting power and even if you ignore that geralt can romance a whole bunch them with little effort. I guess that's the issue with the books but it's still a problem I have with the games.

I don't think the main female characters are overly sexualized at all. Their outfits (specifically Yen, Triss, and Ciri) are not overly sexualized and also period appropriate. None of them are treated as just sexual objects and they are all powerful and important in their own right and in the context of the story. You can criticize this game about many things but I don't think sexualization of the female characters is one.

Keep in mind this game is set in a fantasy European setting. This certainly isn't a MGSV Quiet situation.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
150 dollar controller? What?
I don't understand what you mean about characters cause some of them are quite fun. The story isn't obviously going to win awards but it's Zelda, thats not really the draw.

I've played both games for over 200 hours and I can safely say that for all the interesting things side quests do in W3, it's not the best written game in the world. Biggest issue I have with the game is boring the main quest, I also don't really like how poorly female characters are handled. Zelda story while nothing special has a really fun and diverse cast of characters that all feel pretty interesting.

Could you elaborate on 'how poorly female characters are handled'? The Witcher 3 is one of few AAA blockbusters with a large cast of excellently written female characters (Yennefer, Shani, Triss, Keira, Cerys, Ciri, Iris, Anna-Henrietta, Priscilla, Syanna, ...) who all manage to shine through in their own way in the oppressive world of The Witcher.

Giving the first game shit for its handling of women is fair but the third game does A LOT more right than it does wrong. For me it is one of the best games in regards to female representation.

A great article from Richard Cobbett over at Rock Paper Shotgun on the female representation in The Witcher 3.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But the trophy shit with pictures of naked women? Perfectly normal?

There was no "trophy shit", they were beautiful erotic art meant to represent the consentual sexual encounter you had because they had no budget back then to animate the scenes. And you didn't have to have sex with anyone, in fact you can play all three games and be faithful to Triss if you want.

Witcher as a series murders other games, Zelda included, when it comes to female representation.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
I don't think the main female characters are overly sexualized at all. Their outfits (specifically Yen, Triss, and Ciri) are not overly sexualized and also period appropriate. None of them are treated as just sexual objects and they are all powerful and important in their own right and in the context of the story. You can criticize this game about many things but I don't think sexualization of the female characters is one.

Keep in mind this game is set in a fantasy European setting. This certainly isn't a MGSV Quiet situation.
This is a game where you can go to a brothel and pick a woman like a car in a lot and pay her for sex.
Could you elaborate on 'how poorly female characters are handled'? The Witcher 3 is one of few AAA blockbusters with a large cast of excellently written female characters (Yennefer, Shani, Triss, Keira, Cerys, Ciri, Iris, Anna-Henrietta, Priscilla, Syanna, ...) who all manage to shine through in their own way in the oppressive world of The Witcher.

Giving the first game shit for its handling of women is fair but the third game does A LOT more right than it does wrong. For me it is one of the best games in regards to female representation.

A great article from Richard Cobbett over at Rock Paper Shotgun on the female representation in The Witcher 3.
its 2017 not 2007 tons of games handle in both triple a and indie handle female characters better. Hell im playing cod right now and that's a WW2 game that treats woman equally and doesn't feel the need make them where skin tight armor that only the woman suspiciously seem wear. Divinity OS2 is European rpg that also doesn't constantly have the female characters in nude for absolutely no reason.
There was no "trophy shit", they were beautiful erotic art meant to represent the consentual sexual encounter you had because they had no budget back then to animate the scenes. And you didn't have to have sex with anyone, in fact you can play all three games and be faithful to Triss if you want.

Witcher as a series murders other games, Zelda included, when it comes to female representation.
That's not an excuse for that, regardless like I said in my other post it's 2017 tons of games have better female characters.

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I played 20 hours of TW3, and while I enjoyed Gwent, and liked the quests for the most part, I didn't quite get hooked. I usually find sandbox-style RPGs more compelling, and perhaps more true to the spirit of role-playing. With some exceptions.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You can just not go to a brothel tho ? Its optional like every other romance option. And Witcher world is not a fair world is it? There is mistreatment of both genders (not equally mind you) its just a shit place to live .
Also what skin tight armor?

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
This is a game where you can go to a brothel and pick a woman like a car in a lot and pay her for sex.

its 2017 not 2007 tons of games handle in both triple a and indie handle female characters better. Hell im playing cod right now and that's a WW2 game that treats woman equally and doesn't feel the need make them where skin tight armor that only the woman suspiciously seem wear. Divinity OS2 is European rpg that also doesn't constantly have the female characters in nude for absolutely no reason.
So all games featuring prostitution are inherently misogynistic? I very much disagree with that. By the way, there are also male prostitutes in the game. It seems like your problem with The Witcher 3 is with the fact that it's not a pleasant world where all races and genders are treated equally. Which doesn't say anything about the quality and design of the women inhabiting that world.

JChung55

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not an excuse for that, regardless like I said in my other post it's 2017 tons of games have better female characters.

So any media that depicts prostitution, even if its period appropriate, is sexist and misogynistic? This game takes place in war torn land where different races, magic, and gender are all discriminated against in different ways. Hell, Geralt himself gets shit on all the time for simply showing up at a town because of his job and his looks.

Yes, its 2017 and there are plenty of well written female characters, but you can't brush off the W3's female characters simply because they exist. Look at Anna Henneritta, she is super well written, non sexualized, in control, and most of all, interesting in the game's story. In my opinion, she is one of the best female character represented in gaming today.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
So all games featuring prostitution are inherently misogynistic? I very much disagree with that. By the way, there are also male prostitutes in the game. It seems like your problem with The Witcher 3 is with the fact that it's not a pleasant world where all races and genders are treated equally. Which doesn't say anything about the quality and design of the women inhabiting that world.

So any media that depicts prostitution, even if its period appropriate, is sexist and misogynistic? This game takes place in war torn land where different races, magic, and gender are all discriminated against in different ways. Hell, Geralt himself gets shit on all the time for simply showing up at a town because of his job and his looks.

Yes, its 2017 and there are plenty of well written female characters, but you can't brush off the W3's female characters simply because they exist. Look at Anna Henneritta, she is super well written, non sexualized, in control, and most of all, interesting in the game's story. In my opinion, she is one of the best female character represented in gaming today.
It's one thing for it to depict as part of the world and another to partake in it. Not only that but the Witcher is not set in real life so the very flimsy excuse about period appropriateness is moot. I'm not brushing any characters simply pointing out that these are not empowered female characters. Regardless I think we've strayed way too far from the discussion so let's just move on and keep on opinions about the matter to our selves.

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
Lopez I strongly believe your assumptions to be wrong, but it might be better to move on indeed. Before we do however I just wanted to add that the arguments you propose are to me exemplar of a certain sex-negative and almost puritan outlook present in America and by large unknown in Europe, where just for example prostitution is legal and regulated in many countries. Worth remembering when you consider the Witcher devs are Polish. Might be worth starting a OT thread about it one day.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is such a tortured, backwards logic. But yeah, let's move on.

LazyPanda

Oct 30, 2017
I can't compare the two of them since I have only played TW3 (extensively, beat main game and both expansions). However I will point out the current state of the poll reflects reality.

Discharger

Oct 25, 2017
Loved both, and have been unable to lock down which one is my favorite game of all time and 2nd favorite. Originally, I thought it was BOTW, but that was before I played through TW3 & the expansions. Then I thought it was TW3, but now I'm leaning back towards BOTW. It's not really that important to me which is #1 and #2, I'm just glad I got to play through both, as they are currently my favorite games of all time.

With BOTW, I have never put so many hours into a game in a such a short span of time, and it's not close. Nintendo's world class game design shines through on this title, as I did not want to stop playing. No other game has hooked me so quickly and for so long. I got a Switch on launch, and capped out at 285 hours total played with 2 playthroughs (this is before the 1st DLC dropped in late June) before I decided to put it down. As a contrast, the most hours I've put into a game is 340 with Fallout New Vegas on PC, and that playtime took me years to accumulate. That said the game is not perfect, so I am even more excited about what improvements they can bring next time.

After I put BOTW down, I decided to start TW3 again, as the first time I played it, I only got about 20 hours in before stopping. It's reputation speaks for itself, and many people whose opinions I tend to agree with could not say enough positive things about it, so I was going to give it a second chance. This game definitely has a steep learning curve, and until you understand all the systems, you will die a lot in combat on the default difficulty, and as it didn't really "click" with me, that's why I stopped playing the first time. I'm very glad I came back to it however, because starting fresh with a basic understanding of the gameplay systems instead of no prior knowledge made a difference, and I had enough success that I felt compelled to keep playing long enough for the story to get its hooks into me. I have not been as engaged in the story of any game as much as I was with TW3. The characters are memorable, believable and are not one dimensional. I genuinely cared about what happened to them, and since so many decisions you make during the game have an impact on the world, there were multiple times when presented with a choice, I agonized over the decision for minutes trying to decide which way to go. In other RPGs, the optics of your choices are usually very obvious, and you can pick the "good" or "bad" choice, and go on your way. Lots of shades of gray here, and that made the game much more compelling.

They both have their strengths, and are worth seeking out.

BOTW

PROS
-no lengthy exposition at the beginning before gameplay starts (as compared to many other games, and past Zelda games)
-the game is hard, but fair at the beginning - good difficulty balance up front
-exploring the environment is its own reward
-the level of interactivity with the environment
-interlocking systems allow for emergent gameplay
-beautiful art style
-unusually polished, lots of little details added you don't see in most games
-controls "feel right"
-acquiring all required items early, and knowing "I have all I need to figure out this puzzle" instead of needing to come back later with a new item

CONS
-story is very barebones
-once you upgrade your gear past a certain point, the game is too easy
-limited enemy variety
-too many "combat shrines" to pad the total to 120
-very limited non-consumable rewards
-framerate was bad at launch, but no longer an issue with the latest patches
-minor UI improvements would make the game better (faster way to drop items when your inventory is full to pick up a new item for example)

TW3 & Expansions

PROS
-one of the most engaging stories in a video game (IMO)
-fully realized characters you care about
-presented with choices that affect the game world, and with no obvious "good" or "bad" options
-amazing soundtrack
-breathtaking visuals (especially in 4K, but even at 1080p, still stunning)
-side quests that don't feel "side" at all due to the excellent writing
-excellent monster variety
-lots of interesting lore and information about the characters and enemies in game

CONS
-very steep learning curve and game difficulty until you are comfortable with its systems
-some witcher senses detract from gameplay instead of adding to it (following scent trails or footsteps for example)
-limited interactivity with environment
-walking controls can be janky at times, even with "alternative control mode" enabled, can be difficult to pick up items on the ground
-some ingredients can't be found in the environment and need to be purchased from stores, and this is not explained in game
-underwater controls are awkward

Bottom line, both titles are amazing, and everyone that can should play both. Right now, I choose BOTW over TW3, but just barely. If BOTW had a more compelling story, this would be a much easier decision.

Last edited:

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Huh?

NWEzNzExMThjOCMvanZiLVlKa241Nktadm0ySkJFWWFQQ2pZdWRRPS8xeDc6MTI3OXg3MTMvZml0LWluLzc2MHgwL2ZpbHRlcnM6cXVhbGl0eSg3MCk6bm9fdXBzY2FsZSgpOmZvcm1hdChqcGVnKS9odHRwOi8vczMuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9wb2xpY3ltaWMtaW1hZ2VzLzUxaW9pamI5dnVwNG0zdG5id3Zkb3FidGZ6MHc0c21sZ2Njc3lucnRlZXFhdXVkbWQ4ZDZkcmU2MTYwbzVjMnYuanBn.jpg

acd56f6d178ec3e7c40e2819825716384b8ca389_hq.jpg

Like, I don't have a problem with Urbosa but you're saying that The Witcher 3 is overt sexualization and the using Ciri as an example, fucking Ciri? How is this overt sexualization?

Magicgamer

Oct 28, 2017
Both games where masterpieces but when I got around 80-100 hours into both games I probably enjoyed the Witcher 3 more because it had an amazing narrative carrying it, for both the main quest and side missions, compared to Zelda.

Combat I enjoyed more in the Witcher 3 as well because it has some of my favourite elements of an RPG, such as different builds and weapons having multipliers so as a melee guy doing high damage was beautiful.

As an aside, even though they're both different games trying to accomplish different things, I still think it's possible to compare them. Even just for fun maybe.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Godlike smoothness and variety in this game.
The battle music.

The piano chords when Link strikes in battle...
giphy.gif

best thing ever...

Does it get any more beautiful than this?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.