• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Witcher 3 or The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild?

• The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Votes: 303 50.5%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 297 49.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
those 2 games are only apparently similiar really..they do their own thing and what they do in common they do in an entirely different way.

all in all,the witcher 3 has amazing production values,but the gameplay itself has some baffling decisions that have been ironed out with the patches post release..zelda instead is way more somber in that regard, but it's gameplay and mechanics are WAY more refined

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
I loved them both but I love the Witcher 3 more. It gave me everything I needed in an RPG game + its my GOTG so far
Zelda: BOTW stepped up big time and going open world was risky but it worked out very well at the end
I'll still pick Witcher 3 any day but both games had different things to accomplish

DSoup

Oct 28, 2017
London
I also much preferred the Witcher. Breath of the Wild's world felt desolate and empty for the most part. It didn't help that I went into BotW immediately after finishing Horizon Zero Dawn which was also a world teeming with life and activity.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
BotW
had an Incredible level of freedom, vastness and interactivity, but a non-existant level of attachment to any of the characters that live in said world (except for Zelda maybe but even then i didn't interact with her directly at all), hence no real motivation to do anything outside of sheer curiosity.

TW3
is the complete opposite: a world where the gameplay systems are definitely more "traditional", but the characters and events that inhabit it actually have something to say, which is why i never felt a lack of motivation in pursuing the tasks they gave to me.

In the end i think i prefer The Witcher 3, because i ended up actually caring about who i was and why i was doing what i was doing. BotW was incredible fun, but kind of pointless.

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
The Witcher 3 by a large margin. I just could not get into Breath of the Wild.

NightMarcher

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hawaii
Breath of the Wild, why I prefer it:

• Nintendo created a massive sandbox, set rules in it, gave the player the ability to manipulate those rules to varying effects, and said "go to town". BotW truly was a game of my own making, and the emergent gameplay kept me engaged the entire time. There were things after many, many hours of play that still surprised me mechanically, different combinations I could use. It was a game that encouraged me to think outside the box and rewarded me for doing so. That retained my interest throughout.
  • The game was magical in its feel and atmosphere. When I first saw pictures pre-release I was less than impressed, but Nintendo are masters in proper utilization of atmospherics to help compensate for a lack of technical proficiency. The game's beautiful in motion, and being mounted in a raging thunderstorm or watching a sunrise was a sight to see.
  • All the mechanics seamlessly cohere into very enjoyable gameplay. From movement to combat to horse riding to shooting mounted to a slow-mo leap shot, it all flowed so effortlessly together. Like playing silk.
  • The verticality made navigation easy and made exploration interesting. Not being constrained by mountains nor massive pits opened up the whole world.

The Witcher 3, why I don't prefer it:
  • I've tried to finish The Witcher 3 three times now. I get to Skellige and quickly lose interest. There's simply too much content, and I don't find the narrative compelling enough to give me motivation to continue after a certain point. I find this game to be a perfect argument that more is not necessarily better. While the story was decent, it wasn't enough to bear the weight of that which progressed it.
  • Contrasted to Zelda, the gameplay feels disjointed and segmented, as if each different action (walking/running, combat, swimming) was programmed by a different person. It also felt very cold and lifeless, where Zelda's felt warm and organic.
There's a few more reasons, but that's the general gist.

Deleted member 23908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hard to compare them since they're both focusing on different things but I would say the Witcher 3 for me. The game felt like an amazing tv show where every quest or side quest is an episode and I get to control Geralts choices.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Voted for The Witcher III, because while BotW was an incredible game, it lacked a lot of what makes a good Zelda game for the sake of shaking things up quite a bit, and hopefully they'll make a better Zelda next time now that they've got the massive open world foundation set up.

The Witcher III also got incredible DLC that no other game has matched that basically felt like entire games in themselves.

As others have said, the storytelling in The Witcher III was god-tier, while BotW probably has the weakest story out of all the mainline Zelda titles.

Oct 27, 2017
I've played both games thoroughly from start to finish and spent many hours on side quests.

I honestly can't think of a single area where BOTW does things better than Witcher 3.

Both of them are lacking in the combat department, but while the Witcher 3's combat is serviceable, BOTW's is outright garbage.

Loadout

Oct 26, 2017
Israel
It's a hard one. Both games excel beautifully at what they're trying to accomplish yet both suffer from some core problems.
I voted for TW3 because I felt it was a more impactful experience, also it was like the peak of The Witcher as a series, while BoTW didn't quite take Zelda, as a franchise, to it's peak (in my opinion).

Oct 27, 2017
The Witcher 3 is far more similar to Horizon: Zero Dawn than to Breath of the Wild. Comparing them with the same standards is like comparing Destiny to Call of Duty: WWII, Pokémon to Final Fantasy V or Mario Tennis to Madden.

That being said, and while I loved the narrative aspects of The Witcher 3, I went with BotW.

I honestly can't think of a single area where BOTW does things better than Witcher 3.

What about mobility? Does Geralt have as many options to move around as Link? Jumping, running and swimming, yes. What about paragliding? Shield surfing? Climbing? And what about ranged combat? Link has a bow and different types of arrows that can be used in a variety of situations.

Choosing one over the other is totally fine. Outright disregarding everything about the one you don't prefer is silly, if you ask me.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Witcher 3 by a huge margin, I largely prefer the detailed narrative and deeper story.
That being said, I really enjoy the freedom Zelda offers. It's tough to compare the two to each other.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Witcher 3 easily for me. It's not perfect but I just enjoyed it way more than Zelda (which I had fun with).

Deleted member 24280

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Both are fantastic experience but I will go with the Witcher 3. One has gameplay as the main hook while the other has immersion.
One way to put it, at least for me, is that I wanted to keep playing Zelda, but I needed to keep playing the Witcher 3.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I love the Zelda series and open world games, but BotW didn't do much for me. The world is massive, but there isn't much in it to keep me pushing forward. I hate the combat and loathe the weapon durability system. The horses are stopped in their tracks by the smallest of obstacles. The story is nonexistent. I should love this game, but I don't. I made it halfway through, and haven't touched it in months. I am probably going to wipe my saves and start with a clean slate. Hopefully it clicks next time.

The Witcher 3 on the other hand, grabbed a hold of me and wouldn't let go. I kept playing because I wanted to see what would happen next in this story to all of these incredible characters. This might be the only time I have cried for video game characters. Tears of joy and sadness. I got the bad ending on my first play through, and it was like a punch in the gut. I immediately played through a second time to rectify this. I will probably complete my third play through of The Witcher 3, before I beat BotW.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Both games scratch different itch. Better comparisons would be Zelda vs MGS V due to emergent gameplay/systems and reactivity and approach to missions , and W3 vs HZD due to more traditional open world design and more narrative focus approach . Best(worst actually) comparison would be W3 vs BB, cause thats always gonna happen.

I can't really pick between them as I don't actually think they're that comparable. Despite both seeming like open world sandboxes.

TW3's strong point, against which nothing else can really compare, is creating the sensation of playing a classic CRPG like Baldur's Gate in an open world sandbox. For me it does overcome the problems a lot of sandbox games have with atmosphere and storytelling.

BotW is inferior to it in a lot of ways if compared directly but I can't see them as really being that similar. For all the ways in which BotW is flawed, there's nothing quite like its ridiculous openess and non-linearity. That creates a different experience from most any other game, even a sandbox like Skyrim.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
The only comparisons I can draw between the two is that they're open world and intensely focused on evoking a sense of adventure into wilderness and unknown. The expression of this vision; world building, game system design and implementation, questing, narrative, progression and pacing, puzzling, and so forth - all differs so significantly I could never see myself recommending one in replacement of the other. The end user experience and the facets it leverages as strengths, and deficiencies where the vision shows cracks, differ so wildly (PUN INTENDED) that I'd need to know what a person wants exactly from a game before I could recommend one over the other.

I personally prefer The Witcher 3, mainly because its strengths are immensely valued by my subjective experience and it resonated with me in a way I hadn't felt about a video game for a long, long time. Witcher 3 alarmingly dredged up desires I'd attribute to my dream game, something I never expected. That and I almost always disagree with the negative commentary reflecting the game design, particularly the combat, control, and exploration. The notion that The Witcher 3 is just story is such nonsense to me; it's not just story, and dismissing the value and weight of narrative and how deeply entwined into all facets of the game as just story is such a short sighted, simpleton view of the vision.

That being said, Breath of the Wild is a remarkable accomplishment for evoking similar desires as the Witcher 3, namely the freeform exploration and true sense of wonder. Breath of the Wild makes incredible strides in areas The Witcher 3 does not, but it's also not trying to be The Witcher 3. If I could draw one comparison between the two and where I felt one edges out the other, I would say the sense of reward for exploration in The Witcher 3 was more satisfying to me than Breath of the Wild. Funnily enough it's not because they both structure and reward exploration in the same way; they absolutely do not. But that I found myself more intrigued and rewarded consistently by The Witcher 3's unbelievable hand crafted visual and narrative detail in the world and questing, no matter how minor and insignificant, and what this meant for the world building as a whole, than scaling large stretches of terrain in Breath of the Wild where on too many occasions all was uncovered was a short (yet still enjoyable) shrine.

These discoveries in Breath of the Wild still felt rewarding and very enjoyable for their own reasons, but the repetition set in quicker. Even though it's just narrative or just graphics, in most cases even the simplest of Witcher 3 discoveries added something to the adventure as a whole; the shifting topography accurately marking signs of war and battles in an ongoing and very relevant conflict, or a just note in a treasure chest implying tragedy of drowned lovers and finding their bodies and wreckage in the vicinity. While Breath of the Wild routinely rewarded with fragmented pockets of isolated gameplay challenges, Wild Hunt eloquently wove even the tiniest details of narrative and lore into the greater whole. And if you were as invested in the lore, world building, and presence of everything within this fantasy universe as I was, these micro details being so seamlessly entwined into the greater tapestry of the adventure as a whole felt incredibly rewarding to uncover.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think they are fundamentally different games and can't be compared that easily just because they are both open world games in a fantasy setting

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I play with a controller and Witcher 3 just has too much going on. The different systems overwhelm me and make combat no fun.

There are different swords, stances, parrys, runes, the whole meditation/crafting system which I don't really understand... Zelda's gameplay is much less complex and the systems are much more streamlined, making it the more enjoyable experience to me.

Some of the more graphic violence in Witcher turns me off also.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only comparisons I can draw between the two is that they're open world and intensely focused on evoking a sense of adventure into wilderness and unknown. The expression of this vision; world building, game system design and implementation, questing, narrative, progression and pacing, puzzling, and so forth - all differs so significantly I could never see myself recommending one in replacement of the other. The end user experience and the facets it leverages as strengths, and deficiencies where the vision shows cracks, differ so wildly (PUN INTENDED) that I'd need to know what a person wants exactly from a game before I could recommend one over the other.

I personally prefer The Witcher 3, mainly because its strengths are immensely valued by my subjective experience and it resonated with me in a way I hadn't felt about a video game for a long, long time. Witcher 3 alarmingly dredged up desires I'd attribute to my dream game, something I never expected. That and I almost always disagree with the negative commentary reflecting the game design, particularly the combat, control, and exploration. The notion that The Witcher 3 is just story is such nonsense to me; it's not just story, and dismissing the value and weight of narrative and how deeply entwined into all facets of the game as just story is such a short sighted, simpleton view of the vision.

That being said, Breath of the Wild is a remarkable accomplishment for evoking similar desires as the Witcher 3, namely the freeform exploration and true sense of wonder. Breath of the Wild makes incredible strides in areas The Witcher 3 does not, but it's also not trying to be The Witcher 3. If I could draw one comparison between the two and where I felt one edges out the other, I would say the sense of reward for exploration in The Witcher 3 was more satisfying to me than Breath of the Wild. Funnily enough it's not because they both structure and reward exploration in the same way; they absolutely do not. But that I found myself more intrigued and rewarded consistently by The Witcher 3's unbelievable hand crafted visual and narrative detail in the world and questing, no matter how minor and insignificant, and what this meant for the world building as a whole, than scaling large stretches of terrain in Breath of the Wild where on too many occasions all was uncovered was a short (yet still enjoyable) shrine.

These discoveries in Breath of the Wild still felt rewarding and very enjoyable for their own reasons, but the repetition set in quicker. Even though it's just narrative or just graphics, in most cases even the simplest of Witcher 3 discoveries added something to the adventure as a whole; the shifting topography accurately marking signs of war and battles in an ongoing and very relevant conflict, or a just note in a treasure chest implying tragedy of drowned lovers and finding their bodies and wreckage in the vicinity. While Breath of the Wild routinely rewarded with fragmented pockets of isolated gameplay challenges, Wild Hunt eloquently wove even the tiniest details of narrative and lore into the greater whole. And if you were as invested in the lore, world building, and presence of everything within this fantasy universe as I was, these micro details being so seamlessly entwined into the greater tapestry of the adventure as a whole felt incredibly rewarding to uncover.

I was wondering how long it would take you to post in this thread, was looking forward to it, and you didn't disappoint.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting that we have a poll in Era with serious answers. Back in gaf, the answers are almost always joke answers regardless of the questions. Is the poll created by OP or mod? Also I thought Zelda would win, but Witcher 3 is leading by a little thus far.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I voted for The Witcher 3. My top 3 reasons are:

1. The story.
2. The Witcher 3 world is so beautiful to look at, not that BoTW isn't, but for me it doesn't compare.
3. Roach is the superior horse.

Deleted member 25042

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The freedom in gameplay that BOTW offered was great but to me The Witcher 3 was a much deeper experience that grabbed me like few games ever did.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Interesting that we have a poll in Era with serious answers. Back in gaf, the answers are almost always joke answers regardless of the questions. Is the poll created by OP or mod? Also I thought Zelda would win, but Witcher 3 is leading by a little thus far.
Its a close race tho, and to be fair W3 is from 2015 and on 3 different platforms while Zelda is more recent and only on nintendo consoles . And Zelda is rated quite a bit higher right? Metacritic and all that stuff

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I voted for Witcher 3, but that's not fair to Zelda because I have yet to try it out, maybe some day when I get a Switch, but Witcher 3 man. I just got done with Hearts of Stone expansion and I just got reminded of how great the writing is in Witcher 3. The gameplay is ehh, but the writing carries the game really far.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I voted for Witcher 3, but that's not fair to Zelda because I have yet to try it out, maybe some day when I get a Switch, but Witcher 3 man. I just got done with Hearts of Stone expansion and I just got reminded of how great the writing is in Witcher 3. The gameplay is ehh, but the writing carries the game really far.
On a related note , I was playing AC O,HZD and nioh for past week, then i returned to TLOU and i was giddy at the stark difference in quality when it came to writing.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Both have their strengths over the other.

Witcher:
- Story
- Characters
- Lore
- Decission making
- Gwent
- Quest-Design
- Character evolution
- Graphics
- Soundtrack
- Fully voiced

Zelda:
- Exploring
- Sense of Adventure
- Puzzles
- Charm
- Physics
- Battle System
- Gliding/Climbing

I loved playing both, but overall I prefer The Witcher 3. And Dragon's Dogma and Horizon: Zero Dawn are better than both.

Sceptre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i bought both. couldnt even get passed 5% of TW3. extraordinarily beautiful game, but typical and lifeless gameplay.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Both have their strengths over the other.

Witcher:
- Story
- Characters
- Lore
- Decission making
- Gwent
- Quest-Design
- Character evolution
- Graphics
- Soundtrack
- Fully voiced

Zelda:
- Exploring
- Sense of Adventure
- Puzzles
- Charm
- Physics
- Battle System
- Gliding/Climbing

I loved playing both, but overall I prefer The Witcher 3. And Dragon's Dogma and Horizon: Zero Dawn are better than both.
With DD i completely disagree, with HZD i disagree less , but thats more of me not caring for Aloy or anyone for that matter. And just how open world is designed .

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
I vote for The Witcher 3 and my point is opposite of TC at every aspect possible such as tedious busy work of weapon breaking too easy for no reason etc.

鬼作.

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Witcher 3 because it is a wildly ambitious game that still manages to realize its ambition to an amazing degree and that is just not the case with Zelda. BotW doesn't have dungeons, huge settlements, a story, decent sidequests and gadgets because it needed to come out this year. The next Zelda game will be like BotW, only with all of the missing Zelda stuff included, and that one might be the game that I'm going to compare to Witcher 3, but as of right now one game is compromised in its ambition and the other one isn't.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I can't choose right now. It's ironic because after I finished Witcher III I thought, "It's going to be a long time before we get a game as good as this." Two years later... Zelda. I feel like Zelda is an evolution of a lot of the elements that make Witcher III great, but they are still very different in approach and strengths. I might wait until the last piece of Zelda DLC before I give a definitive answer, but no matter if it's good or bad it's very difficult to choose.

I think they are definitely the two best open world games ever made at least.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the Witcher 3 did everything it needed to do as a western RPG better than what BoTW did as a Zelda game. They are both amazing but Witcher was so much more fulfilling for me and I actually enjoyed the combat more than Zelda's because of the prep work and magic.

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
I am the type of gamer that can play one of these games and love every moment and just feel like I am too depressed for the other experience.

I am very very disappointed with myself when it comes to The Witcher 3, I might have played less than 3 hours on my PS4 paid good money for the game and I just could not get into it. And no I refuse to give the game another shot, I heard it is a special game so I just think the issue is just me not feeling it. I watched Let's Plays of the game on youtube for far longer than I've played it, I just don't enjoy it.
I feel totally detached from Geralt. Maybe it is my history with Nintendo or something in the way they designed Zelda but I should have totally had the same level of detachment with Link but I don't, maybe it is the fact he hardly says anything that makes it easier to become him, maybe it is the closer to cartoon art colors that helps ease my depression. I fight depression so maybe a world full of shit gone wrong is not enjoyable for me. I own the first 2 Witcher games on Steam never did beat them. I rarely beat GTAs but I do enjoy them for dozens of hours. So every time I see a thread praising The Witcher 3 above Zelda I feel a bit of a loss because I just cannot find the same joy and excitement being discussed about the game. I have to admit I am not a very skilled gamer I tend to need an easy mode on most games. I tend to enjoy simple to get into gameplay. If I can finish a game it makes me love the experience even more. If I run into something that I cannot get beyond and die too often I tend to put that game down and move on to something more fun. Maybe if The Witcher 3 had a God Mode? I don't remember it being hard as much as I did not enjoy playing it. Or maybe it is my depression and the Witcher world is just too dark and too much evil shit happening.

This is not the first time I tried to play a popular AAA game and failed to get into it. Same thing happened with my copy of Metal Gear Solid V, in fact at least I gave the Witcher 3 hours. I played The Last of Us until I got to the first clickers I could not beat, another game full of praise I could not get far into.
I avoided buying Uncharted 4 and a lot of other AAA games on my PS4 out of fear I might not play enough of it to be worth spending $60 because I tend not to enjoy those games on the same level.

I fear if I purchase Skyrim I might end up not enjoying it as much as The Witcher 3. I heard good things about all of those games so there has to be something wrong with me on an emotional level that does not connect with that game.

Zelda Breath of the Wild played over 300 hours, not as close to my 2,000+ hours of Xenoblade X but at least I loved every moment.

I don't think I enjoy darker themed games, I did not want to play Majora's Mask and never picked it up for the same reason. Some games are just great but I do not have the urge to play in that world.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I am the type of gamer that can play one of these games and love every moment and just feel like I am too depressed for the other experience.

I am very very disappointed with myself when it comes to The Witcher 3, I might have played less than 3 hours on my PS4 paid good money for the game and I just could not get into it. And no I refuse to give the game another shot, I heard it is a special game so I just think the issue is just me not feeling it. I watched Let's Plays of the game on youtube for far longer than I've played it, I just don't enjoy it.
I feel totally detached from Geralt. Maybe it is my history with Nintendo or something in the way they designed Zelda but I should have totally had the same level of detachment with Link but I don't, maybe it is the fact he hardly says anything that makes it easier to become him, maybe it is the closer to cartoon art colors that helps ease my depression. I fight depression so maybe a world full of shit gone wrong is not enjoyable for me. I own the first 2 Witcher games on Steam never did beat them. I rarely beat GTAs but I do enjoy them for dozens of hours. So every time I see a thread praising The Witcher 3 above Zelda I feel a bit of a loss because I just cannot find the same joy and excitement being discussed about the game. I have to admit I am not a very skilled gamer I tend to need an easy mode on most games. I tend to enjoy simple to get into gameplay. If I can finish a game it makes me love the experience even more. If I run into something that I cannot get beyond and die too often I tend to put that game down and move on to something more fun. Maybe if The Witcher 3 had a God Mode? I don't remember it being hard as much as I did not enjoy playing it. Or maybe it is my depression and the Witcher world is just too dark and too much evil shit happening.

This is not the first time I tried to play a popular AAA game and failed to get into it. Same thing happened with my copy of Metal Gear Solid V, in fact at least I gave the Witcher 3 hours. I played The Last of Us until I got to the first clickers I could not beat, another game full of praise I could not get far into.
I avoided buying Uncharted 4 and a lot of other AAA games on my PS4 out of fear I might not play enough of it to be worth spending $60 because I tend not to enjoy those games on the same level.

I fear if I purchase Skyrim I might end up not enjoying it as much as The Witcher 3. I heard good things about all of those games so there has to be something wrong with me on an emotional level that does not connect with that game.

Zelda Breath of the Wild played over 300 hours, not as close to my 2,000+ hours of Xenoblade X but at least I loved every moment.

I don't think I enjoy darker themed games, I did not want to play Majora's Mask and never picked it up for the same reason. Some games are just great but I do not have the urge to play in that world.
I think that very fair actually , Witcher games are kinda fucked up and depressing , i always like to describe W3 open world as a shit piss guts and misery simulator , it goes for a very specific tone . I would also add that skyrim is less dark than W3 tho visually its a bit more grey ish and cold. Also skyrim is far easier to jump in and play ,especially cause the gameplay loop has better and more immediate rewards. And I think you bring up very justified reasons for not liking W3 or TLOU and such because of tone and overall approach to worlds.
Edit: I think Dark souls games are even darker and even more depressing that witcher to some extent, have you played those?

visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Witcher is quite bland imo. I couldn't put more than 10 hours into it. The world just felt so sterile and forced... the strange yellow color of everything really didn't help either. I know this is a fairly unpopular opinion but the story was also incredibly boring to me. I've been there and done that in just about every western RPG ever...

Zelda on the other hand, the world is so lush and varied, it has a soul. I enjoyed every inch of the land exploration. The ease of traversing it made it even better. Sure the story was typically cliche Nintendo Zelda game, but again it has some heart, and the nostalgia was thick and ran through it like honey.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I play RPG type games more for the story and characters than the gameplay.

Zelda games I played the dungeons than anything else.

I still liked BOTW despite that, but Witcher 3 is much more my style.

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
Even as a huge Zelda fan, I take Witcher 3 over BotW easily. Witcher 3 is one of the greatest games I've ever played and I felt very empty when the whole experience ended with Blood and Wine since no other Witcher content is coming out any time soon. I couldn't even finish BotW, the world was huge but boring. Shrine hunting was tedious. Quests were a snoozefest. The only stand out experiences for me were Eventide Island and the Kass storyline.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

No reason to be down on yourself for disliking The Witcher 3. What your describing, especially here, is very common. As an artist yourself you know people seek different experiences from creative work, and what captures a the imagination and mind can vary drastically between person to person. Some people, like myself in particular, seem to relish themes, concepts, and artistic expression drenched in emotionally darker arts. Witcher 3 is very much this; it's a bleak world ripe with misery. There's hope in there, but these moments are deliberately contrasted on a backdrop of suffering and struggle. For someone who doesn't seek this experience (and I've got a lot of friends like this), they almost question why anybody would want to play these kinds of games at all. I've got a friend who cannot even watch Game of Thrones because for her because despite enjoying parts of it, and investing in a good 3 or so seasons, she just finds the narrative staple of suffering and punishment too overwhelming to be enjoyable. When she seeks art and entertainment as escapism (like most of us do), the last thing she wants is to escape into a place that's awful.

Meanwhile others much, much prefer upbeat, spirited, adventurous experiences in art. Wayward adventures into emotional vibrancy. Journey's where there is always a semblance of hope and accomplishment pushing you forward. This is something Nintendo consistently leverages in their visions, particularly with Mario and Zelda, and probably why you enjoy them so much more.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Zero reason to force yourself into pushing through an experience that is fundamentally opposed to your preferred escapism. No matter how much praise it gets, it's praise from people who enjoy that kind of thing, and nobody has to enjoy everything.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Easy pick : The Witcher.

I don't care that much for gameplay and am far more interested in good charcaters, good story and immersive world. So yeah. Zelda in not ticking any of those boxes for me.

And for the gameplay, the Witcher might not be perfect, but the card-box weapons and the puny starting endurance in BOTW where pissing me off that much that i think i might still prefer playing Geralt than Link.

Easy pick, as i said.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
As much as i enjoy Witcher 3, BoTW made me go back to it a second time, and im having as much fun hunting, exploring as the first time. Witcher 3 was amazing, but once you know the story, which was amazing, well, i didnt got the feeling i need to play it a second time.

My vote goes to BoTW. Its just an amazing game.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
The combat in Zelda is pretty damn awful as well. Especially since the movement etc almost requires a 150$ controller to even be remotely playable.
The story and characters in Zelda are so bland and unimaginative that it borders on non existent.
150 dollar controller? What?
I don't understand what you mean about characters cause some of them are quite fun. The story isn't obviously going to win awards but it's Zelda, thats not really the draw.

I've played both games for over 200 hours and I can safely say that for all the interesting things side quests do in W3, it's not the best written game in the world. Biggest issue I have with the game is boring the main quest, I also don't really like how poorly female characters are handled. Zelda story while nothing special has a really fun and diverse cast of characters that all feel pretty interesting.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
zeldawkunf.jpg

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I never actually finished witcher 3, but I did finish Zelda. Idk why I didn't finish witcher 3, the game was massive and never finished the main quests when I kept focusing on side quests.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Dear god why?

Sometimes, even games in the same broad genre are not meant to be compared.

I have to say, coming from some one who prefers Bethesda games cause they are more the style game I like (and I've gotten the impression I'd love Zelda cause the same but I have no Nintendo to play it), how come we dont have more people realize is with the constant comparison of Skyrim/Bethesda games and Witcher? People love talking about how Witcher > Bethesda games but I find if you are trying to find a game that fixed what you don't like about Bethesda games but you like the type game Witcher really wouldn't scratch that itch (New Vegas would though).

I haven't played BOTW but I get the impression skyrim would be a better game to compare who did better with BOTW. And I can say skyrim and Witcher are really not the same type game having played both.

Status
Not open for further replies.