• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
In december 2017 the Xbox One X update for The Witcher 3 was released and everything was fine. It was a great update which improved the visuals and the performance a lot.

On March 26th that changed with another update, some call it the "ghost patch" because nobody seems to know what it was and where it came from.

According to a moderator in the official Witcher forums the update could have been a "goof" or "marketplace error".

Let's start with the most annoying glitch that the mysterious update introduced:

ZvGfTIg.jpg

qCrtBez.jpg

NgrnhPE.jpg

FwxqoBC.jpg

07qDiXS.jpg

rZslpA7.jpg

Lighting / Shadows are glitched, depending on the time of day. All areas of the game can be affected, the glitch mostly occurs indoors. Houses, caves, tunnels, huts…

Also new: a NPC glitch that prevents the game from loading the NPCs correctly.

There are other new bugs and there's still no official word if the game will be fixed or not. The captures in this thread are my own, more info and screenshots can be found here.

CD Projekt Red is asking to report any glitches using the report form. Xbox players should include the manufacturing date, the manufacturing ID and the model number of the console. This info can be found on the back of the console. If possible, include screenshots or video captures.

https://en.cdprojektred.com/contact-support/

I really hope they're going to fix the game because I'm stuck with a broken digital game and there's no way to download an older version.

Last edited:

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it still plays okay, it's just got some lighting issues?

EDIT: I was genuinely confused by the choice of words, but that's on me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fortinbras

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
You can still play the game if that's what you are asking. I certainly can't enjoy playing it like this.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
So it still plays okay, it's just got some lighting issues?

The screenshots show the glitch ruining almost entire scenes, I would consider it unplayable, mostly because it is covering things up.

Edit: To clarify, It's not playable by my standars, art and ambientation is ruined and nowadays that's 75% of why I play a game like TW3. I get why he use the word "broken", that's all.

OP
OP
Fortinbras

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
I played through the main game and the expansions without experiencing any glitches a year ago. A few days ago I started playing again and now there are tons of glitches. I don't understand what happened...

Want a Unicorn? I've got enough...

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Oh ffs, I bought this on digital last week and was going to do a playthrough with the X patch. Fantastic.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure the usual "It's not truly broken" posts will be coming, but I'm with you OP. That kind of shit will ruin the game for you. Witcher is an absolutely beautiful game and that atmosphere is a huge part of the experience. By having it ruined like that, it wouldn't be something I'd consider playable. Could you get to the endgame with it looking like that? Absolutely. Should you have to? Is it acceptable that it's looked like this so long? Hell no.

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when people started complaining about the broken HDR and LOD on Ps4 saying that was because Cdprojekt only cared about Microsoft? Yeah...
This is even worse than LOD issues.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
CDPR's post-release support for both Pro and X has really disappointed. The initial Pro patch completely borked LoD (since fixed), and now this on X.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Nooo! I took a pause when RDR1 came out on BC, did this patch happen after that? Haven't seen this myself but it looks horrible. And I started over and switched from PC to the X! :(

HockeyGuy412

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Just started playing this for the first time and noticed it hopefully something is in the works or a official statement from cd project red

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Dude wtf

Didn't this happen with the PS4 Pro version too? They mysteriously broke it with the HDR update (but fixed it after a while)

This sucks. Make noise, this needs awareness and coverage. CDPR needs to make an official statement that they're working on fixing this. Or just roll back the patch lol

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
CDPR's post-release support for both Pro and X has really disappointed. The initial Pro patch completely borked LoD (since fixed), and now this on X.
About that, I noticed different area like the caves where ps4 pro fps runs very bad, like 20 fps. And I hate the introduction of soft vsync especially considered it doesn't runs that better. Just for this fucking fake HDR. If I can tell, fuck the HDR. I want vsync back with the old performance.

gkryhewy

Oct 29, 2017
That's weird: I played through it recently on my X (4K/HDR) and didn't notice these issues at all.

HockeyGuy412

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
That's weird: I played through it recently on my X (4K/HDR) and didn't notice these issues at all.
It's one of those things you don't notice till it's pointed out to you. Just started playing the first time had about 24 hours into it never seen it then I started seeing threads about this bug now I can't stop seeing it

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Well this sucks.

I'm about to buy an X and this was one of the games I was looking forward to trying...

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about but maybe some developers should just leave games alone when they are fine after some patching. Or were there some glaring issues that needed to be patched and where it went wrong?

So... no word on Twitter by Marcin Momot who always used to reply about patches? Also nothing on the forum?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Is this something that happens to everyone? I feel like such a glaring visual issue would have made bigger waves, no?

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't tarnish the experience of this game while it is plagued by a bunch of circles. That just makes a beautiful game look dumb.

OP
OP
Fortinbras

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
Op may need to reinstall the game I have not seen any issues like that.

No
Clearing cache does not fix it.
Starting a new game does not fix fit
Reinstalling the game does not fix it.

Is this something that happens to everyone? I feel like such a glaring visual issue would have made bigger waves, no?

I don't think there are that many people left playing the game and only a small percentage of Xbox players own an X.

The X patch dropped last year and the game was fine for months...

Last edited:

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Weird, I actually picked the game back up for the first time since June 2015 exactly on March 26th to play through the DLC for the first time on my One X. Can't say that I ever noticed anything amiss. Guess I wasn't paying enough attention lol

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
They fucked the shadows up in the PC version too, and you can't even fix it yourself with ini tweaks. It's not as bad as whats in the OP, but the draw distance is all wonky, which I think started with the patch before Blood and Wine.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Oh god damn it. I was really looking forward to picking this back up to continue my play through now that I own an X1X. I hope mine is not affected.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Yes, this is strait up broken and makes the game, for me, unplayable cause the lighting issues are so big you can't unsee them.

Hope Dark1x heard about this and is looking into it.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
This sucks, I was hoping to start my Xth platythgrough soon, this time on XOX with all the bells and whistles, hopefully they fix that becasue that would probably annoy the hell out of me.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Really disappointed about this. I only started a little while ago and dropped it temporarily. I don't want to get too much into it in case I see this problem further on after I've spent hours on it.

Plan b was the PC version, and now that's screwed too? Seriously CDPR, you've a stellar reputation for post release support. Don't screw it up now.

Oct 26, 2017
Clearing cache does not fix it.
Starting a new game does not fix fit
Reinstalling the game does not fix it.

I don't think there are that many people left playing the game and only a small percentage of Xbox players own an X.

The X patch dropped last year and the game was fine for months...
Sounds like a new system update could be the issue then? Maybe some compatibility got borked?

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried the patch on release. Didn't play more than 3h but wanted to go for more. So now it's a shitty mess?? Any expected fix or should I start a new game on ps4 pro ? It wasn't my first one but after x enhanced version I bought it again ...

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
I've just put 150 hours into this game on the X and haven't came across anything resembling that. I have the digital GOTY edition if that makes any difference. Anyone affected by this I'd be curious to know what version of the game they have.