• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
The Witcher is a series of fantasy novels written by Polish writer Andrzej Sapkowski, published between 1992 and 2013. They follow the adventures of Geralt of Rivia, a Witcher.
Realizing the potential of the rich world created by Andrzej Sapkowski, Polish videogame developer CDProjekt Red decided to create a rpg based on the Witcher universe.

zkGdzlJ.jpg

02gamesbannerv2aif.png

The Witcher (2007)
With a story set after the novels, The Witcher was released for PC in 2007, followed by an enhanced edition in 2008.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (2011)
The sequel, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, was released for PC in 2011 and also received an enhanced edition in 2012, which was ported to the Xbox 360 in the same year.
Both games were praised for their perfect depiction of The Witcher universe and deep rpg elements.
All updates and dlc provided for the games are completely free. There's also no form of DRM in these games. If making amazing games wasn't already enough, here's another reason to support this fantastic studio.

The Witcher III: Wild Hunt (2015)
The third game, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, was released for PC, PS4, and Xbox One in 2015.
In Wild Hunt, you as Geralt embark on your most epic and dangerous journey yet. Your mission -- to find the child of prophecy, an ashen-haired girl, a living and highly volatile weapon everyone wants to control. The stakes have never been higher: the Elder Blood flowing in the child's veins can bring about a final end. The fate of worlds lies with you.
The game was released to universal acclaim.

The Witcher Adventure Game (2014)
The Witcher Adventure Game is a board game. It has a physical version and is also available digitally for PC, MAC, Android and iOS.

03novelsbanneryix4u.png

03aauthoriczwt.png

If you're considering getting into the franchise, reading the novels will considerably enhance your experience.
To preface, let me clarify that the first 2 books are a collection of short stories. Two of these stories, one in each book, serve as the introduction to the saga which is made up of the following 5 books.
In 2013, Sapkowski revisited the saga by writing a prequel, Season of Storms.

Not all of the novels have been translated to English yet. You can find the books translated into the following languages:
Czech, Brazilian Portuguese, German, Russian, Lithuanian, Estonian, Finnish, French, Spanish, Italian, Bulgarian, Ukrainian, Serbian, Hungarian, Dutch, Chinese and obviously in the original language, Polish.

Please keep in mind that not all of the books are available in all of these languages at this point in time. The Spanish and Czech translations are generally regarded as the best.
If you're wondering in what order you should read the books and which ones have an English version, look no further:

03bthelastwishelzbl.png

The Last Wish (Original Release: 1993 / English Release: 2007)

03ctheswordofdestinykgxr0.png

The Sword of Destiny (Original Release: 1992 / English Release: 2015)

03dbloodofelvesbmax7.png

Blood of Elves (Original Release: 1994 / English Release: 2008)

03etimeofcontempt0lxjq.png

Time of Contempt (Original Release: 1995 / English Release: 2013)

03dbatpismoffireixyrk.png

Baptism of Fire (Original Release: 1996 / English Release: 2014)

03ftheswallowstowerusy7u.png

The Swallow's Tower (Original Release: 1997 / English Release: 2016)

03gladyofthelakew1ydm.png

Lady of the Lake (Original Release: 1999 / English Release: 2017)

stormseasonq2un2.jpg

Season of Storms (Original Release: 2013 / English Release: tba, Spanish release: April 23, 2015)

*All covers presented here (except Season of Storms) are english mock-ups from the spanish versions, in chronological order of the events occuring in them, and each country may differ in covers, release dates and order of release. The spanish softcover version of Lady of the Lake was split into 2 parts but then released as a single book in the hardcover version.*

Please note that The Last Wish was published after Sword of Destiny but should be read before.
Even though Sword of Destiny was skipped by the english publisher initially, fortunately an English version was released later, in May 2015 to be exact.
English versions of the remaining books should happen in the next couple of years.

You can download the high resolution images from the spanish cover arts, drawn by Alejandro Colucci, here:
Geralt of Rivia (769x1134)
Yennefer of Vengerberg (769x1134)
Jaskier/Dandelion (769x1134)
Ciri (769x1134)
Milva (769x1134)
Regis (769x1134)
Cahir (769x1134)
Triss Merigold (769x1134)

04charactersbannerb5bql.png

04ageraltb3b4u.png

Geralt, also known as the White Wolf, is the character the player controls in the games and the protagonist of this story. He's a Witcher, a professional monster slayer. Witchers undergo very strict training and also mutations to make them the perfect killing machines. They fight using swords and a rudimentary form of magic known as signs.
Geralt is a legend among Witchers and though people think of him as ruthless killing machine with no emotions, the truth is very different.

04cciri71lox.png

Cirilla Fiona Elen Riannon, also known as The Lion Cub of Cintra or The Child of Destiny.
Tied to Geralt's fate by Destiny itself, a dreadful and misterious chain of events forces Geralt to adopt and raise her. Though Geralt is the protagonist of this story, Ciri is the driving force of the events in the Witcher universe. She has the fate of the world weighing on her shoulders.

04byenneferb0y1i.png

A very powerful and incredibly beautiful sorceress, she and Geralt are lovers but they have a troubled relationship, even though they care deeply about each other. She's also a mother figure to Ciri.

04djaskierr1z54.png

Jaskier, known as Dandelion in the english version.
A famous minstrel and poet is unlikely company for a witcher but as it turns out, Dandelion is a close friend of Geralt's and shared a lot of his adventures.
Though Geralt gives the impression that the bard annoys him more than anything, he actually cares a lot about him.
Dandelion is useless in a fight but his fame and connections can come in handy sometimes. Though he's a coward by nature, he won't hesitate (much) putting his life on the line to help Geralt.
Would spend his entire life in a brothel if he could afford it.

04etrissfqxar.png

Triss is also a sorceress and though she fancies Geralt, she reluctantly accepts that his heart belongs to her friend Yennefer.
Like most sorceresses, her beauty is astonishing. She also helped raise Ciri and is a close friend who can be trusted in times of need.
In the first 2 games, Yennefer is absent and Geralt and Triss are in a sort of "friends with benefits" relationship.

04fzoltanu5zzq.png

A dwarf with a very strong personality, he's also a close friend of Geralt's and is never afraid of speaking his mind or using his axe in a fight.

04gvesemirp0aqw.png

The oldest Witcher alive (no Witcher has been known to die of old age though) he's a father figure and mentor to all the other Witchers trained at Kaer Morhen, the keep where Witchers of the Wolf School are trained.

04hemhyrqaaju.png

The emperor of Nilfgaard. A cunning ruler who has already waged war against the Northern Kingdoms on two occasions, with the goal of conquering them. The second war, which involved Geralt, Ciri and all the others, takes place during the novels.
Emhyr also plays an important part in the events depicted in the second game and has his own reasons to get his hands on Ciri.
In The Witcher 3, we finally get to meet him face to face.

04ibwildhunt6suy4.png

Leader of a group of specters known as The Wild Hunt. A lot of rumours surround these misterious entities but little is known about them.
The Wild Hunt has crossed paths with Geralt on several occasions but now that it has set its sights on Ciri, the next confrontation will have to be the last.

05worldbannerm6uvz.png

05amapaeud8.png

The Witcher world is divided into two major regions, the Northern Kingdoms and the Nilfgaardian Empire.
Both regions are separated by the Yaruga river.

Geralt's adventures take place in the Northern Kingdoms, which are made up of Temeria, Aedirn, Cintra, Kaedwen, Redania, Kovir and Poviss, Lyria and Rivia.
There are also other Minor Kingdoms and Principalities

The first game takes place mostly in the Kingdom of Temeria, which is ruled by King Foltest.

The second game takes place on several locations along the Pontar Valley which cuts across the middle of the Northern Kingdoms. The Pontar river acts as a border between the North's biggest kingdoms.

The third game will take place in 3 areas:

No man's land is an area already conquered by the Nilfgaardian empire when the game starts. It's an area ravaged by war that spreads across Cintra, Temeria and Redania, kingdoms that have lost their rulers and were therefore the empire's primary targets.
Novigrad is a large city located in the kingdom of Redania.
The Skellige Islands, which are located in the sea to the west.

Community spotlight:

The Witcher story recap (tons of spoilers for both the games and the books)

The best of Vernon Roche

The Witcher lore series

The following summary establishes a chronological order of all the events in the books. Keep in mind that you should read the books in the order posted above, this is just putting the short stories and events within the books in chronological order, including stuff like flashbacks, etc.
Thanks to blueteainfusion for the heads up.
Source

1. The Last Wish The Grain of Truth -
disenchantment of Nivellen
2. The Last Wish The Lesser Evil -
stay in Blaviken
3. The Last Wish The Edge of the World
4. The Last Wish The Last Wish -
first meeting of Geralt and Yennefer
5. Season of Storms - June-August 1251
6. The Last Wish A Matter of Price - autumn (September?) 1252 -
Pavetta is already pregnant.
7. The Last Wish The Witcher - Year 1253
8. The Last Wish The Voice of Reason - Year 1253
9. Sword of Destiny The Bounds of Reason -
Geralt meets Yennefer after 4 years – year 1254
10. Sword of Destiny A Shard of Ice
11. Sword of Destiny The Eternal Fire
12. Sword of Destiny A Little Dedication
13. Sword of Destiny The Sword of Destiny - Spring / Summer 1262
14. Sword of Destiny Something More -
year after the end of the war with Nilfgaard - early autumn 1264 - a meeting of Geralt and Ciri
Geralt's flashbacks in the latter story:
meeting with Calanthe - Ciri is six years old - year 1259
meeting of Geralt and Yennefer at the feast of Belleteyn
meeting of Geralt and Dandelion over Jaruga – War with Nilfgaard - Autumn, year 1263
15. Blood of Elves
16. Time of Contempt
17. Baptism of Fire
18. The Swallow's Tower
19. Lady of the Lake

Welcome to the Witcher community and join us for a round of Gwent!

*Credit for the OT goes to Dragon1893 and SpacePirate Ridley.

Last edited:

Swamped

Oct 25, 2017
Very lttp here, but I just started playing this series. I finished Witcher 1, and am now on the final chapter of Witcher 2. I didn't expect this, but I actually enjoyed Witcher 1 more than 2. Maybe the combat was more fun or something? I also liked the sidequests better. Of course the story is far superior in 2.

Anyway, can't wait to get to Witcher III lol.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
After I finish playing Brothers, I want to finally jump in The Witcher world. I bought the Witcher 3: GOTY edition with everything included for my PS4. I have never played a Witcher game before, but I have read a few of the books. Any tips for a newcomer?

Miscend

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played Witcher 2 on 360 a lot and enjoyed it when it came out. I played through and finished Witcher 3 on PS4. I finally came back to it this year after more than a year to play through the DLC. Witcher 3 was very buggy at launch but if you boot it up now it's almost like playing a new version of the same game. All the menus are completely redone and the game itself has been polished beyond expectation. It runs so much better now. I can't think of any other console game that's gone through such a transition.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Ready to replay the DLC's when my X arrives. Did a main story replay earlier this year. Witcher 3 is one of the best games ever.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
Currently upto end of Act 1 with my 3 replay for 3rd time but this is my complete start to end of blood and wine. I keep saying I will do a Team Triss play through but it never happens as Yen is true canon and best character

Ronik

Oct 25, 2017
After I finish playing Brothers, I want to finally jump in The Witcher world. I bought the Witcher 3: GOTY edition with everything included for my PS4. I have never played a Witcher game before, but I have read a few of the books. Any tips for a newcomer?
If you've read the books, you'll be fine, TW3 references the books much more than the events of the previous two games. Turn on alternative movement in the settings and you're good to go!

Very lttp here, but I just started playing this series. I finished Witcher 1, and am now on the final chapter of Witcher 2. I didn't expect this, but I actually enjoyed Witcher 1 more than 2. Maybe the combat was more fun or something? I also liked the sidequests better. Of course the story is far superior in 2.
I also prefer TW1 to TW2, mainly because It's more open and longer, the Slavic atmosphere is top notch and I like the combat a bit better. TW2 is good (great, even) as well, but I've always liked it the least of all Witcher games and my recent replay just enforced that belief in me. The third chapter feels unfinished even after the EE additions.

Cronnie

Oct 25, 2017
UK
How's the DLC for Witcher 3? Enjoyed the base game, but got bogged down with other games so never really had a look at the DLC, I see it's on sale every once in a while, is it worth picking up?

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
How's the DLC for Witcher 3? Enjoyed the base game, but got bogged down with other games so never really had a look at the DLC, I see it's on sale every once in a while, is it worth picking up?

They're both definitely worth it. Hearts of Stone has an incredible story (way better than the main game imo) and Blood and Wine offers a lot of new content for the price. I really enjoyed exploring Toussaint.

Cronnie

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Best DLC you can buy and Blood & Wine has the perfect ending for the whole Geralt story

They're both definitely worth it. Hearts of Stone has an incredible story (way better than the main game imo) and Blood and Wine offers a lot of new content for the price. I really enjoyed exploring Toussaint.

Well then, that's some high praise, I'll definitely look to pick it up sometime soon.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Whaat! It's been 10 years already? Time flies, great to have a Witcher community thread so thanks OP! Witcher 3 (expansions included) has taken the place of Mario 64 as my all time favorite game. Not yet ready to call it my all time favorite franchise though, but maybe someday.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??

Anyway, can't wait to get to Witcher III lol.
Girl you're in for a treat!

I really should get back to reading the books lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I just started The Witcher last weekend ( after previously playing the opening prologue several times). I've had 1 and 2 for years, so I'd to at least try and play them before buying 3.

Currently outside the first town/city, met a few characters, and I'm ready to go compete done quests.
In terms of leveling, the game isn't unbalanced in that if I try and take Geralts stats in one direction I'll be left vulnerable later on because I didn't pick the 'best' build early on?

I whacked on one of the main texture packs too on Nexus mods to give everything a bit more sheen. Took some playing around with Nvidia control panel to get rid of most of the micro stutter too.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Feel free to use stuff from the OT I made on GAF if you want.
I'd actually appreciate it because a lot of work went into it.

Oct 25, 2017
You can reset the skill points with special potions, so don't worry about it too much.

Fantastic! I was also kind of worried about it because given the length of the main game I might want to take a break from it part way through, and then be faced with a character build I don't like once I returned it. So that's very reassuring to hear.

OP
OP
Exentryk

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Feel free to use stuff from the OT I made on GAF if you want.
I'd actually appreciate it because a lot of work went into it.
Oh, good to have you here! Some of the images from your OT are not working correctly here (not sure why). And the spoiler text doesn't look the same on this forum.

Edit: Now the images are showing up fine. Weird?

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, good to have you here! Some of the images from your OT are not working correctly here (not sure why). And the spoiler text doesn't look the same on this forum.

That's a shame.
Can I help with anything?

Edit: oh, I see you're already updating the OT. Nice.

I think it's especially important to help get acquainted with the books.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
Fantastic! I was also kind of worried about it because given the length of the main game I might want to take a break from it part way through, and then be faced with a character build I don't like once I returned it. So that's very reassuring to hear.

Don't worry about builds it not that type of game just concentrate on what you use a sign and fast attack focus is great build. It also links with what witcher gear you want but honestly you get the OP even on Death March you can just pick Armor sets for fashion

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Could you please give credit to gaf's SpacePirate Ridley for the OT as well?
I have no idea if he moved or plans to move to resetera, I hope he does.

Love your avatar Hystzen.

Swamped

Oct 25, 2017
Girl you're in for a treat!

I really should get back to reading the books lol.

I'm already addicted! :D

I was most interested in the 3rd game, and was this close to starting it without playing the prequels. Then I thought "whatever, I'll just rush through the first 2". Hundred hours later I'm totally immersed in the world lol, and haven't finished the second yet.

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
Cześć, peeps! That's Polish for hello. See? Smarter already.

Hope we can have many great discussions here and along the way help as many people as possible enjoy the Witcher games. Can't wait to see what CDPR has in store for the series.

Also, Exentryk thank you for taking the initiative and making this OT. Just a small pet peeve. Would you be so kind and capitalize the p's in Polish?

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
Just popping in to say if there's interest I can probably whip up a dedicated W3 OT based on the format of the last one. Would contain less links to related threads keep in mind (spoiler threads/expansions/etc, but would be able to link to this thread), given linking back to the old forum is apparently a no-no here. Title suggestions welcome.

Otherwise if we expect there will be a lower number of posts all up perhaps this thread could be used instead for all game posts as well? What are people's thoughts?

Last edited:

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
If you've read the books, you'll be fine, TW3 references the books much more than the events of the previous two games. Turn on alternative movement in the settings and you're good to go!

Cool thanks.

I hope it is ok if I paste this post filled with suggestions from Daxy from the old site on here, it can useful for a first time player like me and others:

If you don't mind, I do have a few general suggestions for beginning players that may help avoid some frustrations:

- I'd personally recommend you to set it at Blood & Broken Bones difficulty at least but that's a matter of preference. It gets easier as you progress and is an absolute cakewalk at lower difficulties sooner. Death March is probably the way to go, since that maintains a modicum of difficulty throughout, but whatever! If you find that combat difficulty is turning you off of the game, absolutely turn it down. Witcher 3 is all about the characters, lore, and world so don't let combat get in the way of that too much. If you find you're enjoying the combat, it might be worth slogging through a difficult early game to have a better overall balance of difficulty, but ymmv of course.
- Don't dodge roll unless you need the distance; use the short hop instead. The roll stops stamina from recharging, has a larger recovery animation, and makes it more difficult to re-position yourself for your next attack.
- The light attack is pretty strong in this game! I played through the entire thing using primarily light attacks. They're a little weaker, but much quicker than the heavy ones. Also, Whirl is crazy good once you get adrenaline-building perks.
- Get the perk that allows you to cast Signs using adrenaline relatively soon (it's in the yellow tab). You'll recover stamina really quickly once you're high level, but early on it might be a bit slowish.
- You need to put perks in a slot for them to take effect.
- There are respec potions (1000 Gold) so feel free to experiment! You can get tons of ability points through Places of Power though, so you probably won't feel like you're short on them.
- Use the alternative movement/control option if you find that Geralt feels to weighty to control. It's somewhere under gameplay settings.
- Be sure to craft oils and potions (esp. at higher difficulties!). They're basically very strong buffs and are refilled automatically upon meditation using alcohol from your inventory. If you don't care for them, you can totally make your way through the game without them though!
- Also, don't mainline it. I'd suggest you look around to find a variety of quests around your level, especially because you get less exp for quests that are significantly beneath your level.
- If you find yourself running out of inventory space, book it to Novigrad to find a merchant that sells the second largest inventory expansion (horse bags!).
- Sell swords to blacksmiths and armor to armorers to maximize profits (but not each blacksmith/armorer will give you the same/full amount -- some are wealthier than others).
- Don't try to romance both Yen and Triss, maybe?
- You can do the Hearthstone DLC before finishing the mission and nothing will really change, I think. However, I'd suggest you leave Blood & Wine for post-game.
- It's kinda easy to stumble into a shitty ending, so if you care at all about that look up a spoilerless guide once you start prepping for a final battle (you'll know it when you get there, promise!)
- If you're a hog for content, like I am, you should look up a list/spreadsheet of easily missable quests (should be on reddit but easily found on google). Many of them are pretty good.
- Not all quests are on quest boards; some you encounter organically by exploring (usually marked by exclamation points).
- If you put some points into signs, check out the Axii/Delusion perk. It can present itself in some conversations as an option.
- The alternative mode for Quen puts a bubble around you and allows you to recover health when enemies hit it; pretty useful!
- Full beard Geralt + the hairstyle that's loosely gathered & tied behind the head = Best Geralt.

It's a pretty standard action RPG all in all. Don't think you'll need a guide honestly. Take your time! It's very long if you decide to explore all of its content, so try to savour it or risk getting burnt out on it.

That about covers it, I think?

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Played through the tutorial. Is it just me or does Geralt kind of sound like Christopher Lambert?

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Just popping in to say if there's interest I can probably whip up a dedicated W3 OT based on the format of the last one. Would contain less links to related threads keep in mind (spoiler threads/expansions/etc, but would be able to link to this thread), given linking back to the old forum is apparently a no-no here. Title suggestions welcome.

Otherwise if we expect there will be a lower number of posts all up perhaps this thread could be used instead for all game posts as well? What are people's thoughts?

2 Witcher threads seems too much at this point. Might as well stick to this one imo. We can cover everything related to the franchise here. There's not enough traffic to support 2 threads.

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
2 Witcher threads seems too much at this point. Might as well stick to this one imo. We can cover everything related to the franchise here. There's not enough traffic to support 2 threads.

Yeah, those were my thoughts for the time being. We'll see if anything changes following the open registration.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I've been replaying again recently, on yet another New Game+ save post-B&W (I think this will be my 7th playthrough). I've finished the main quest, and I'm up to Scenes from a Marriage in Hearts of Stone. Part of me is tempted to bail, just so I can go to Toussaint, because it is just so lovely. But I'm also anxious to get Geralt's complexion cleared up before I do, so I might as well wrap up Hearts of Stone first. Witcher 3 might well be my favorite single-player game of all time. Despite what people may think about the combat, there is not a single thing I would change about the game (definitely enable Alternative Movement though; taking wide circles to make a turn is absurd).

This is the one game where I will say the DLC is absolutely imperative to get. It's better than the main game (and the main game is already outstanding). The entire package, DLC included, is astonishingly good. Like, I literally cannot believe that videogames can be this good.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been replaying again recently, on yet another New Game+ save post-B&W (I think this will be my 7th playthrough). I've finished the main quest, and I'm up to Scenes from a Marriage in Hearts of Stone. Part of me is tempted to bail, just so I can go to Toussaint, because it is just so lovely. But I'm also anxious to get Geralt's complexion cleared up before I do, so I might as well wrap up Hearts of Stone first. Witcher 3 might well be my favorite single-player game of all time. Despite what people may think about the combat, there is not a single thing I would change about the game (definitely enable Alternative Movement though; taking wide circles to make a turn is absurd).

This is the one game where I will say the DLC is absolutely imperative to get. It's better than the main game (and the main game is already outstanding). The entire package, DLC included, is astonishingly good. Like, I literally cannot believe that videogames can be this good.

The DLC definitely takes things to a new level. Hearts of Stone is probably my favorite story in a game ever.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
The DLC definitely takes things to a new level. Hearts of Stone is probably my favorite story in a game ever.
Indeed. Actually, my one complaint about Hearts of Stone is
by putting one of the unique weapons (Venomous Viper Silver Sword) in a specific choice, I have never actually seen what happens when I don't help Olgierd, because I want that sword. Frankly, I want his uppance to come. I just want that sword more. But that whole level is pretty awesome anyway, so I guess I'm basically OK with playing it over.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh hey!

I recently started 3 after taking about a year to finish both 1 and 2. Ended up really loving 1, surprisingly. It's old and kinda busted but I thought it had a ton of heart. Great, intimate stories that focused on things on a much smaller scale than your usual fantasy. I think it also did a great job introducing the world and Geralt. It had a great mix of comedy and seriousness, cool set pieces that took you to places you're not expecting. Overall I had a really good time with it.

2 on the other hand I feel like I had a less great time with. I still liked it and thought there were excellent moments but I don't know, it felt like it was missing some of the charm of the first game. A common complaint I've seen is the lack of sidequests and I find myself agreeing with that criticism. Considering the two paths being basically completely different games I totally get why they cut out side stuff in favor of the two paths but I did find myself missing a lot of it. It was also very serious for the most part and Geralt felt slightly more wooden in it.

3 is off to an absolutely incredible start. White Orchard immediately gave me the feeling and setting 1's opening area did while obviously being better in every way. The writing is incredibly sharp and the acting is some of the most natural I've ever heard in games. This also feels like by far Geralt's strongest outing and I'm only in Velen at this point. He's funny, charming, and serious when needed. The facial animation is really subtle and adds a ton. I love seeing Geralt do small eye rolls when he's talking to weirdos, the genuine concern on his face when he's talking about Ciri. I just finished the first leg of the Bloody Baron quest and I was totally floored by it. The genuine, overwhelming emotion in the performances, the very well done metaphors and literal depictions for the trauma caused by miscarriages. It's just amazing and I cannot wait to play more.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Last night I played a few more hours of W3. I'm still in White Orchard and am doing some side quests, exploring, and just getting used to the system. I still have some trouble with the combat system, especially when there are multiple enemies. Any tips for that? I'm spending a lot of time picking berries and flowers lol. Basically every glowing bush I come across I loot.

writerblue

Oct 27, 2017
I reached Skellige on my new playthrough and I don't think I'll ever get tired of listening to the area's music or just taking in the beautiful sights. Probably my favorite area in the game next to Blood and Wine's Toussaint.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
Last night I played a few more hours of W3. I'm still in White Orchard and am doing some side quests, exploring, and just getting used to the system. I still have some trouble with the combat system, especially when there are multiple enemies. Any tips for that? I'm spending a lot of time picking berries and flowers lol. Basically every glowing bush I come across I loot.

Make use of Quen and try to get the enemies to come at you one by one. Try to not get surrounded. You can also upgrade Axii and turn the enemies on each other.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Quen is good. Igni and Aard can help take the heat off by temporarily disabling foes. And Axii is great too, you know you'll stun at least one enemy, unless he resists. Often get an instant kill if you attack them, too

Don't forget to dodge and roll.

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
I'm planning on jumping into The Witcher 1 for the first time. Already played 2 and 3. Anything I should know before I start?

Are there any essential mods for it or should I just try it vanilla?

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm planning on jumping into The Witcher 1 for the first time. Already played 2 and 3. Anything I should know before I start?

Are there any essential mods for it or should I just try it vanilla?

not sure about mods. i played it vanilla and thought performance/graphics were acceptable although there was an issue with fps/screen tearing when in fullscreen that just wouldn't go away so i had to play windowed.

for me the second chapter just felt like a drag and i didn't really feel like i was playing a witcher game (already played a little of 2 and finished 3) but it gets better. combat is totally different from 2 + 3 but i thought it was OK for a 10 year old game.