• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

radosiewka

Oct 29, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
So I replayed Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 back to back and enjoyed them way more than I was expecting considering how old 1 is and how many times I've played 2.

With great anticipation I started up Witcher 3 to start a new save for the first time in almost five years and.... I dunno I'm kinda not feeling it?

I think maybe because Witcher 3 is so big and long despite five years passing it still all feels relatively familiar. It's really bumming me out though cause I was excited to play the trilogy one after the other.

The game is still incredible obviously but I think once you know the scope of the game, the map like the back of your hand, and how it all ends, the drive to keep going is just not there.

Anyone else had this happen?
I too had a hard time getting into the Witcher 3 for the second time. I think that's because this game is so big, the area you visit so vast and it takes a long time to meet all the important characters.

I am currently doing quests in Novigrad and am thinking whether Gwralt should chose Yennefer or Triss and it's a hard decision. Though this time I am probably gonna pick Triss, as the relationship with her seems more healthy? And I am not a person who likes to have loud and full of anger conflicts etc. I really like that CDP Red gave us two female characters that are both very complex, with own agendas, flaws and ambitions. And it's not an easy choice to make.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I too had a hard time getting into the Witcher 3 for the second time. I think that's because this game is so big, the area you visit so vast and it takes a long time to meet all the important characters.

I am currently doing quests in Novigrad and am thinking whether Gwralt should chose Yennefer or Triss and it's a hard decision. Though this time I am probably gonna pick Triss, as the relationship with her seems more healthy? And I am not a person who likes to have loud and full of anger conflicts etc. I really like that CDP Red gave us two female characters that are both very complex, with own agendas, flaws and ambitions. And it's not an easy choice to make.
I played a bit more and it has it's hooks in me once again. I think when first arriving in Velen, knowing oh yeah the crones and oh yeah the baron it was kinda hard to feel motivated to keep going.

Once I actually did start those quests and started exploring the towns and getting some loot and so on... the weather flares up, the music kicks in... Ahhh I'm home.

radosiewka

Oct 29, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
I played a bit more and it has it's hooks in me once again. I think when first arriving in Velen, knowing oh yeah the crones and oh yeah the baron it was kinda hard to feel motivated to keep going.

Once I actually did start those quests and started exploring the towns and getting some loot and so on... the weather flares up, the music kicks in... Ahhh I'm home.
Year, it happened to me as well - it hooked me up again when I've visited Novigrad, met Triss etc.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Playing Blood & Wine for the second time. I must say that I much prefer it to Hearts of Stone. The atmosphere is something else, and they really nailed that "a paradise with dark and sinister corners" vibe with both the aesthetics as well as the soundtrack. Such a big tonal change from the rest of the game should have been jarring, but CDPR pulled it off perfectly. It feels fresh while still retaining all of its original strengths.

Speaking of the soundtrack, the ambient music in Blood & Wine is on a entirely different level. These three are good examples:

These tracks make me a little bit emotional to be honest. It might be entirely subjective, but I feel like they simultaneously capture the mysteriousness and wonder of Toussaint as well as the melancholy of it being Geralt's final adventure.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I wanted to replay Hearts of Stone and Blood & Wine but it felt wrong to start with a pre-made Geralt. So here I am doing my third full playthrough.

Trying out the Ghost Mode mod, going pretty well so far. Sign use and dodging is now tied to stamina so no more dodge spam. The loot game is also a lot better and non-Witcher gear is now actually vaible. The mod also gives you the option to disable levels and scale monsters to your level (e.g. ± 5 levels). Still not ideal but preferable to some of the hard level gating that is going on in Velen.

And of course with FriendlyHUD. Playing this game without any HUD elements for 90% of the time is something else.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
I wanted to replay Hearts of Stone and Blood & Wine but it felt wrong to start with a pre-made Geralt. So here I am doing my third full playthrough.

Trying out the Ghost Mode mod, going pretty well so far. Sign use and dodging is now tied to stamina so no more dodge spam. The loot game is also a lot better and non-Witcher gear is now actually vaible. The mod also gives you the option to disable levels and scale monsters to your level (e.g. ± 5 levels). Still not ideal but preferable to some of the hard level gating that is going on in Velen.

And of course with FriendlyHUD. Playing this game without any HUD elements for 90% of the time is something else.

FriendlyHUD is so so good. I wrapped up a 180-hour 100% ish run last spring and now youre making me want to go again but try out Ghost Mode this time.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
Each book in the series is only £5 on Amazon.co.uk at the moment , got 7 books turning up tomorrow, never read past the short stories, so looking forward to these .

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'm playing through the game for the first time at the moment and am close to completing the Novigrad storyline... which is a bit confusing if you're trying to piece together the chain of Dandelion events. I'm going to put this in spoilers to be sure but I hope someone can clarify some stuff.

- Ciri wants some magic item fixed and Whoreson knows someone that can do just that... but they need to rob Dijkstra and steal his gold as a favor
- Dandelion, Ciri and Dudu stage the heist and get the gold... and this is where I'm not sure what happens for the first time: is it immediately after that Menge somehow busts them and claims their gold? I've been looking online to piece this together and app. he was already tailing Dudu for some reason, so that's how he busts the trio. But he doesn't arrest any of them, just takes the gold.
- They can't pay Whoreson because of this and he goes nuts, kidnaps Dudu but Ciri frees him. Then afterwards Dandelion gets captured but it's because he was with a mage and not because of his heist involvement? I think I have one more flashback coming but this is what I arrived at now.

There are actually a number of reddit threads I've found asking the same question, but none give a waterproof answer. It does show that this sequence was a bit jumbled and messy, I thought the Bloody Baron saga told a better story.

There's no real active Witcher thread atm so I hope some people are subbed to this one

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
I'm playing through the game for the first time at the moment and am close to completing the Novigrad storyline... which is a bit confusing if you're trying to piece together the chain of Dandelion events. I'm going to put this in spoilers to be sure but I hope someone can clarify some stuff.

- Ciri wants some magic item fixed and Whoreson knows someone that can do just that... but they need to rob Dijkstra and steal his gold as a favor
- Dandelion, Ciri and Dudu stage the heist and get the gold... and this is where I'm not sure what happens for the first time: is it immediately after that Menge somehow busts them and claims their gold? I've been looking online to piece this together and app. he was already tailing Dudu for some reason, so that's how he busts the trio. But he doesn't arrest any of them, just takes the gold.
- They can't pay Whoreson because of this and he goes nuts, kidnaps Dudu but Ciri frees him. Then afterwards Dandelion gets captured but it's because he was with a mage and not because of his heist involvement? I think I have one more flashback coming but this is what I arrived at now.

There are actually a number of reddit threads I've found asking the same question, but none give a waterproof answer. It does show that this sequence was a bit jumbled and messy, I thought the Bloody Baron saga told a better story.

There's no real active Witcher thread atm so I hope some people are subbed to this one

I think I know how to respond to this, but I want to make sure you're far enough along. There's a Ciri flashback/playable sequence that has you battling through the streets that might clarify things to some extent. Have you kept playing much beyond this?

Also, Menge was on to Dudu because he is a changeling and therefore an enemy of the Eternal Flame. That's the "some reason" you spoke of at least.

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
I would say your assessment is accurate so far Creamium, but you simply haven't played far enough yet. Also, Dandelion was captured when he and Ciri were on a run from Whoreson's goons and the city guard. She unconsciously teleported away leaving him behind to be captured by the temple guards of the church.

Once you complete Skellige section it will be explained why Ciri went to Novigrad exactly.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I've just completed the play so I'll chime back in once I fully complete the Novigrad questline, but thanks a lot so far guys. I'm getting no exp from all these quests because I'm already level 18 and they're estimated at 12. Been doing way too much sidequesting hah. I think once a quest turns grey you don't get exp for it anymore.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I completed the big Dandelion quest and that final flashback cleared most questions I had up, except one. It's just weird that when Menge busted the heist group he only took their haul and didn't arrest them, since he was after Dudu after all.

Can go to Skellige now but I've still got a bunch of sidequests left. I want to try the high stakes Gwent tourney soon since my deck's getting pretty good, just got the achievement for winning with 187+ score.

There are soo many sidequests I don't know if I got the most important ones and it'd take me a really long time to check. Sucks that some only trigger when you're close, so I feel like I could be missing some. With contracts it's easier as they're all on the notice boards.

May 1, 2020
I completed the big Dandelion quest and that final flashback cleared most questions I had up, except one. It's just weird that when Menge busted the heist group he only took their haul and didn't arrest them, since he was after Dudu after all.

He arrested Dandelion, Ciri got away, and Dudu changed his shape to look like Junior. So he did arrest whom he could.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
He arrested Dandelion, Ciri got away, and Dudu changed his shape to look like Junior. So he did arrest whom he could.
Are we talking about the same moment? I'm referring to post vault heist, not after they busted out Dudu. In the latter chase Menge wasn't even there, but Dandelion did get arrested then. After the heist he lost the money to Menge but I don't think he got arrested since he could meet up with Ciri to free Dudu from Whoreson.

May 1, 2020
Are we talking about the same moment? I'm referring to post vault heist, not after they busted out Dudu. In the latter chase Menge wasn't even there, but Dandelion did get arrested then. After the heist he lost the money to Menge but I don't think he got arrested since he could meet up with Ciri to free Dudu from Whoreson.
If I remember correctly, the witch hunters seized the treasure but they were able to get away but had to leave the cart carrying the treasure so they could escape.
I may be wrong, it's been a while since I played that quest.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

Can go to Skellige now but I've still got a bunch of sidequests left. I want to try the high stakes Gwent tourney soon since my deck's getting pretty good, just got the achievement for winning with 187+ score.

There are soo many sidequests I don't know if I got the most important ones and it'd take me a really long time to check. Sucks that some only trigger when you're close, so I feel like I could be missing some. With contracts it's easier as they're all on the notice boards.
The two best Gwent cards in the game are in Skellige, so it might be worth grabbing those before you do the high stakes tourney. You can win without them, but they make things easier. One is a 1-point spy in the Northern Realms deck, and the other is a 0-point spy hero card that can (and should) be put in all decks.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Haven't played The Witcher 3 in over 4 years (that's when I finished the base game and Hearts of Stone) but figured I'd finally get back to it to play through Blood and Wine before Cyberpunk 2077 comes out. I'm still pretty early in, but really enjoying the main story as well as the few side quests I've tackled so far. Also been pretty happy with how self contained Blood and Wine's story and setting have been, and feels pretty approachable to someone like me who's a bit fuzzy on some of the plot from the main game at this point.

On the other hand, the combat feels like it's going to take some time for me to get used to again. I remember thinking the combat, while not my favorite part of the game, was decent before, so hopefully it will start to click with me again this go around.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I love most of the sidequests in this game, with a Towerful of Mice and Carnal Sin as some of my favorites so far, but one in Skellige just now drove me crazy. It's In Wolf's Clothing and I hate every aspect of it. The layout of that wolf's den is confusing af. I restarted the entire quest because I thought the wolf was bugged and couldn't reappear but it turns out I was just looking in the wrong cave... I had to look up how the water sluice controls worked too, just a very confusing and annoying quest all around. To get the actual ending I had to use a guide (and even videos) for most of it. Looking at the wiki entry it seems I'm not the only one who thought it was a big mess.

Only time where I wasn't having fun so far, but I'll take it in over 70 hours. btw I won that high stakes Gwent tourney and I'm getting closer to finding all the cards. Advanced the main quest a bit in Skellige but there are a bunch of sidequests I can do first still. This is definitely the prettiest area so far.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Heh, after having Blood and Wine sit in my backlog for over 4 years, I can finally say The Witcher 3 is off my backlog.

I think one thing I'll always love about the series is I really enjoyed the quality of storytelling in the both the main story and side quests. I think side quests like 'Big Game Hunter', 'Paperchase', 'A Knight's Tale', 'The Warble of a Smitten Knight', and 'Equine Phantoms' are up there with some of my favorite side stories of the entire game. And while 'Hearts of Stone' probably remains one of my favorite story arcs in the game, I did enjoy the main quest of 'Blood and Wine' quite a lot, and also appreciated that it was pretty easy to get into the plot despite not playing the game for several years.
I think the game to me is still something where I find the combat to be serviceable at best, but I enjoy the writing of the quests and the general presentation (I do like the camera work in setting up cutscenes) so much that I overall enjoy playing the game a lot.

Feels a bit bittersweet to finally be done with it now, but looking forward to what CDP puts out next

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I finished the main game a while ago and I'm now at Hearts of Stone. It's crazy that a minor character from the very first hour of the game turns up again. I looked it up on yt and at the time thought he was weird for a merchant, but after 120 hours you don't remember every minor character. I'm sure I'm not alone in forgetting who he was. But it's really cool they go for deep cuts like that and actually set up that moment back then.

It's weird since this is such an epic, but the ending of the main story still came kinda sudden, mostly because I wanted more time with Ciri. You meet her fairly late in the story and after Kaer Morhen there's not that much left. I had the empress ending which is the 'best' one but the one where she becomes a Witcher also seems nice. I was glad I picked Triss for the romance, never really gelled with Yen.

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
After almost an year finished the game and its two dlcs. One of the best games ever created!! Every mission, side quest, witcher contract and even the treasure hunts are masterfully created and have good amount of backstory and lore behind it. Spent 126 hours playing the base game + dlcs. The quests are written so well and have so many vastly different possible outcomes with hours of completely different gameplay segments..it gets very hard to choose at times as there are no simple right/wrong or good/bad options. True RPG!! They really went the extra mile with the quest design. I am going to spend a long time watching the different quest endings on You Tube now.

Have high hopes with Cybrpunk and will definitely be playing it eventually but I like this fantasy setting more and Witcher 4 will be a day 1 buy!!

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
On my third playthrough of W3 really hoping they release an updated XBX/PS5 version. The improvements to load times alone would make it worth it.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
After almost an year finished the game and its two dlcs. One of the best games ever created!! Every mission, side quest, witcher contract and even the treasure hunts are masterfully created and have good amount of backstory and lore behind it. Spent 126 hours playing the base game + dlcs. The quests are written so well and have so many vastly different possible outcomes with hours of completely different gameplay segments..it gets very hard to choose at times as there are no simple right/wrong or good/bad options. True RPG!! They really went the extra mile with the quest design. I am going to spend a long time watching the different quest endings on You Tube now.

Have high hopes with Cybrpunk and will definitely be playing it eventually but I like this fantasy setting more and Witcher 4 will be a day 1 buy!!

Im glad you enjoyed it! Welcome to the Witcher 3 is GOAT club!

Although, I wouldnt watch alternate quest endings on youtube, maybe save it for another playthrough? You may not feel like it yet, but there is a big chance that you'll get the itch sometime in the future. Im already looking forward to do a third one, but im going to wait until I get my hands on a new Nvidia gpu next year or so. 4k/60fps Witcher 3 has me salivating already. Additionally, there will be enough gpu overhead to go crazy tweaking the .INI file, increasing shadow distance, foliage draw distance, the works.

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
Although, I wouldnt watch alternate quest endings on youtube, maybe save it for another playthrough? You may not feel like it yet, but there is a big chance that you'll get the itch sometime in the future. Im already looking forward to do a third one, but im going to wait until I get my hands on a new Nvidia gpu next year or so. 4k/60fps Witcher 3 has me salivating already. Additionally, there will be enough gpu overhead to go crazy tweaking the .INI file, increasing shadow distance, foliage draw distance, the works.
Console peasant here 😕

The game length was so intimidating, I kept putting this game on hold for years..wont be able to play it again considering the time I get these days. Also, one of the main draw for me was the sense of wonder exploring the exceptional world they have created...this would be missing to a great extent on my subsequent playthroughs.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Console peasant here 😕

The game length was so intimidating, I kept putting this game on hold for years..wont be able to play it again considering the time I get these days. Also, one of the main draw for me was the sense of wonder exploring the exceptional world they have created...this would be missing to a great extent on my subsequent playthroughs.
Ah, I see. To each his/her own. I dont actually try that many new games each year, maybe between 3 and 6 or so. Oftentimes I feel like replaying something I know I love rather than try something Im lukewarm about, which ends up being most games. Witcher 3 is probably my favorite game of all time, so I get the itch to replay it every few years. Its like the gaming equivalent of never ordering new dishes in a restaurant.

Last edited:

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I finished Hearts of Stone months ago and thought it took all the strengths of the main game and magnified them. I loved that with every quest you learn more about Olgierd. With every request he invites you to dig deeper into his past, to learn how he ended up in the state he did. Rarely do games reach this level of quality in their narrative. I thought the sidequests in W3 were sometimes better than the main story because of the smaller scope and HoS was like the full realization of that. It's like they thought "what if we take what should be a sidequest but flesh it out to the best of our abilities".
After a break of a few months I'm now on Blood & Wine and even though I don't think it's as good as HoS, it's close and I love how the story is unfolding. I'm at a 'shit got real' part where Detlaff has sent vampires to the city and I have to choose how to proceed now with Regis.

I got this goty edition for like €15 back in the day but I'm baffled they sold B&W for €20 at launch. This is a full game worth of content, I'm already at 30 hours after doing most of the sidequests/contracts that became available. And some of those sidequests are once again fantastic, like the one where you help the cursed girl regain her human form, but she doesn't want to see the gallant knight again even though she's thankful. Geralt said something like "even if you helped her, she doesn't owe you her love".

Loved the main game but tbh the expansions are way better. More condensed and polished versions of what worked there. I feel like they are also easier to recommend to someone new to the series. The main game is still very much seeped in the lore of what came before, but these expansions feel more self-contained and you could play them without having touched anything else.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I'm really looking forward to playing the expansions. When I finished the base game almost 3 years ago, I was a bit burnt out after almost 200 hours, so I decided to save them for later.

The next gen update can't come soon enough.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
I was early into my second playthrough in blood and wine, but I'm holding off finishing it for the next gen update. Might even just start a third playthrough of the main campaign.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
I finished Hearts of Stone months ago and thought it took all the strengths of the main game and magnified them. I loved that with every quest you learn more about Olgierd. With every request he invites you to dig deeper into his past, to learn how he ended up in the state he did. Rarely do games reach this level of quality in their narrative. I thought the sidequests in W3 were sometimes better than the main story because of the smaller scope and HoS was like the full realization of that. It's like they thought "what if we take what should be a sidequest but flesh it out to the best of our abilities".
After a break of a few months I'm now on Blood & Wine and even though I don't think it's as good as HoS, it's close and I love how the story is unfolding. I'm at a 'shit got real' part where Detlaff has sent vampires to the city and I have to choose how to proceed now with Regis.

I got this goty edition for like €15 back in the day but I'm baffled they sold B&W for €20 at launch. This is a full game worth of content, I'm already at 30 hours after doing most of the sidequests/contracts that became available. And some of those sidequests are once again fantastic, like the one where you help the cursed girl regain her human form, but she doesn't want to see the gallant knight again even though she's thankful. Geralt said something like "even if you helped her, she doesn't owe you her love".

Loved the main game but tbh the expansions are way better. More condensed and polished versions of what worked there. I feel like they are also easier to recommend to someone new to the series. The main game is still very much seeped in the lore of what came before, but these expansions feel more self-contained and you could play them without having touched anything else.

I beat the full game and expansions twice now. It's just insane how good they are and how the expansions improve the original game. They are even more polished and just so well made.

I'm playing Dragon Age Inquisition now and even though I like it. The quests are just soooooooooooo bad in comparison. Fetch quest after fetch quest. Barely any story at all. Just get 5 herbs and 10 cheese and bring them here. Collect 10 goat skins and bring them there. Comparing that to Witcher 3 side quest and it's just a different world. And it's why I'm so hyped for Cyberpunk.

The prices for it are crazy when you think about it. The low prices for GOTY edition or the expansions that are longer than most games. It's nuts.

Lexxon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Dragon Age Inquisition now and even though I like it. The quests are just soooooooooooo bad in comparison. Fetch quest after fetch quest. Barely any story at all. Just get 5 herbs and 10 cheese and bring them here. Collect 10 goat skins and bring them there. Comparing that to Witcher 3 side quest and it's just a different world. And it's why I'm so hyped for Cyberpunk.

I actually made a point to play DAI before Witcher, since both were on my backlog and I heard this as a complaint about DAI (and just about any other game of its era). I enjoyed DAI but would have had a much harder time playing it directly after Witcher, while doing the opposite I was just fine.

May 17, 2018
It's taking everything in my strength to hold off my next playthrough for the next gen update.

Out of curiosity i wanted to know where my last playthrough ended and it's early. Bloody Baron early. I looked at my quest log and felt overwhelmed lol. I forgot how much STUFF in stuffed into just Velen alone.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Not much activity in this thread it seems, but with the Witcher 3 next gen update only 3 days away maybe it will pick up! I for one am really looking forward to going through the game again. I finished it back when it came out on Xbox One, but will be playing on the PS5 this time. Mostly because of how the dualsense is used. I have a three week Christmas holiday this year, so I might be able to plat the game as well.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I only played through it once at launch and been waiting for the patch to finally revisit it.
I'm on PC though.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I need to push on from being in the middle of Blood & Wine (tournament section?), but it's been well over a year to where I don't remember much in the gameplay and what I was juggling goal-wise. I'll give a proper return a go when the update drops, and hopefully I'll be able to pick everything up rather quickly.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
2 questions..

Is anyine making a new OT for the W3 update
Also, any recs on playthrough guides online tgat are really helpful and not on sites littered with adds & pop ups?

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
Still not sure if I sure do another playthrough from the beginning (that main quest is sooo long) or just jump straight into the DLCs which I never got around to.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Still not sure if I sure do another playthrough from the beginning (that main quest is sooo long) or just jump straight into the DLCs which I never got around to.
Given that the DLCs, (especially Blood and Wine) are so long on their own, I would recommend just doing them on their own so you don't get burned out before you even start. Might be worth revisiting White Orchard just to remind yourself of the controls, but each DLC is a self-contained story so you should be fine to start them independently of the main quest.

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
Given that the DLCs, (especially Blood and Wine) are so long on their own, I would recommend just doing them on their own so you don't get burned out before you even start. Might be worth revisiting White Orchard just to remind yourself of the controls, but each DLC is a self-contained story so you should be fine to start them independently of the main quest.

Yeah that's kind of what I'm leaning towards. I don't think I'll have the attention span to stick through the main quest again. Playing through just the White Orchard section is a good idea, though. Thanks for that!

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
The DLC's alone are many hours of great gameplay, so not a bad idea indeed. I am in it for the long haul, but I certainly can understand not wanting to invest 100+ hours again lol

X-Frame

Oct 25, 2017
I have the original W3 game version, plus the DLC's. I didn't get the Complete edition or whatever it was. Does that mean that I won't be able to transfer my save from PS4 to PS5?