• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Watching MANvsGAME stream Witcher 2 and I want to pull my hair out sometimes. I mean he's streaming, CDPR occasionally comes into his chat, they've sent him thousands of dollars worth of Witcher stuff for free, he's sponsored by GoG so he seems to be saying as politely as possible how much he really does not like the combat, I imagine if he was on here on an anonymous account he'd be calling it trash. Here's the problem, he's playing on Dark Mode and he doesn't use half the tools the game gives you and rams his head against an encounter until his sword kills it. He doesn't use potions, doesn't use sword oils, doesn't use throwing weapons, doesn't use bombs, doesn't use traps, doesn't use signs, just hacks at stuff with his sword until it dies and he wonders why he doesn't like the combat. It doesn't help that he has this weird 100% no tolerance policy for no tips or hints.

May 17, 2018
Im in my second play through trying to get the plat but that Kaer Morhen trained trophy is a pain for me. I see now how people can have more than two playthroughs. There's so much content in this game and I'm amazed how much I forgot. I just got to a point where Yen and Triss seemed to invite me to a ménage et toi, and I have no idea what's about to happen. Gonna do some contracts to get my mind right prior lol.

so how did that play out for you player?? lol

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
so how did that play out for you player?? lol

That....that did not go how I expected. Damn. First time around I was practically Yen's puppy dog but this time I tried to play the field and I guess I got what I deserved. Now all I'm wondering if
I'm going to spend the rest of my days alone in my little chateau
in Touissant.

May 17, 2018
That....that did not go how I expected. Damn. First time around I was practically Yen's puppy dog but this time I tried to play the field and I guess I got what I deserved. Now all I'm wondering if
I'm going to spend the rest of my days alone in my little chateau
in Touissant.

yeah it's sad out here for Geralt going forward. You tried it though. I respect it lol. #TeamYennifer btw.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Watching MANvsGAME stream Witcher 2 and I want to pull my hair out sometimes. I mean he's streaming, CDPR occasionally comes into his chat, they've sent him thousands of dollars worth of Witcher stuff for free, he's sponsored by GoG so he seems to be saying as politely as possible how much he really does not like the combat, I imagine if he was on here on an anonymous account he'd be calling it trash. Here's the problem, he's playing on Dark Mode and he doesn't use half the tools the game gives you and rams his head against an encounter until his sword kills it. He doesn't use potions, doesn't use sword oils, doesn't use throwing weapons, doesn't use bombs, doesn't use traps, doesn't use signs, just hacks at stuff with his sword until it dies and he wonders why he doesn't like the combat. It doesn't help that he has this weird 100% no tolerance policy for no tips or hints.

Damn, I have no idea who that is since I don't follow any streamers but all that stuff seems wasted on him. These games get way more shit for the combat than they deserve and guys like him could actually help but instead are just making it worse. Smh.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
So amid all the Cyberpunk hype I decided to pick up The Witcher 2 again. I had played about 15 hours of it a couple years ago and bounced off the combat pretty hard -- I got to an encounter where a bunch of goblin-like creatures rushed Triss and I (on a quest to find some monster's mucus), and I just felt overwhelmed. Died over and over...traps, bombs, nothing seemed to give me enough advantage to not get hacked to pieces. Picking up at that same place, I was just as clueless and had to turn the combat down to Easy just to get through it. I hardly ever play Easy on games, but I just felt like I was outclassed by these things.

Another thing, is this game just horribly optimized, or is it the Mac port that suffers? I have a Radeon Pro 460 in this 2016 MBP and the animation and the combat still feel jerky and laggy. I've also noticed the voiceovers are slightly out of sync with the lip movements.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Got the bad ending on Witcher 3... I'm really salty I didn't have a backup save to start over on the pivotal questline. Hopefully I can spark my interest in playing the game again along with the DLC in a week or so, had a lot of fun but would prefer not going through the set of quests again while it's still fresh in my mind.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Got the bad ending on Witcher 3... I'm really salty I didn't have a backup save to start over on the pivotal questline. Hopefully I can spark my interest in playing the game again along with the DLC in a week or so, had a lot of fun but would prefer not going through the set of quests again while it's still fresh in my mind.
The bad ending felt more fitting to me tbh lol

Going back to kill the last Crone felt like the perfect coda to the game

As far as the DLC, just imagine Gerals actually got up and killed the shit of everything that swarms him afterwards...not that hard to imagine lol

Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys, I'm going through my first play through of TW3 (finally after buying it day one.) Been playing for around 30 hours and decided to get some mods.
Got some mods here that were recommended, I really was just staring at the minimap more than I should so I got the FriendlyHUD, minimap only showing up with the Witcher Sense is a nice toggle. A++ Mod.
Better Torches, Jump in Shallow Water, Geralts Cloak and Hood Toggle, AutoLoot, No Fall Damage, GwentStore, and Over9000k Weight are very nice.
Fast Travel Anywhere is a double edge sword but I'll continue to use it and just save alot and still run back to signs if I feel theirs any fishy business.

So whats this pivotal quest line I should be sure to have some backup saves on?

Quest spoilers/ramblings
I totally fucked up the Witch Hunter/Triss torture scene and tried to use magic and got busted and had to murder everyone, which I don't feel bad about but now I didn't have the location for the treasure
Im at the point where I can help assassinate Radovid which I'm thinking I'll help do. Also I'm at where Radovid wants me to look for Philippa, I went to her cave hide out and got the scope jewel just don't know where to bring it to Radovid or to Yenn. Now I'm thinking about it, definitely Yenn.
I still haven't even went to the Skellige Islands yet! Though I have atleast 3 quests now pointing me there.

Anyways this game is fun.

Witch

Jan 1, 2018
the moon
Damn, I have no idea who that is since I don't follow any streamers but all that stuff seems wasted on him. These games get way more shit for the combat than they deserve and guys like him could actually help but instead are just making it worse. Smh.
Totally agree. I noticed that a lot of people who complain about the combat don't even try to make it interesting for themselves by using different tactics other than slashing around.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Totally agree. I noticed that a lot of people who complain about the combat don't even try to make it interesting for themselves by using different tactics other than slashing around.
Yeah it's like watching journalists play Gran Turismo: they don't brake for the corners and wonder why they can't keep the car on the track. Bad controls, not fun, 4/10.

At least the journalists could figure out the Witcher 3's combat, so props for that :)

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Hey I am using oils and the spells. I still find the combat lackluster. >.> lol

I did manage to finish the baron quest that was good. Lost interest afterwards, mainly because the side quests and I forgot already what the main quest part I was on.

Killed some tree I think that was possessed.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Finally getting around to the expansions....

Man, the story in Hearts of Stone is quite good isn't it.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Have there been any interesting mods in the past year that tightened up the movement (removing momentum mainly) even more? I'm due for another playthrough in a while (already have 600+ hours played, shesh). I see there are a few overhaul types mods out...Ghost Mode and Enhanced. I already love the game, so I'll probably end up using the Ghost mod for bug fixes.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Question: I remember someone sharing a vid of the Witcher 3 at NeoGAF, where someone really tore into all the small details and features of W3's nature. Stuff like rock formations, rivers, ice, shape of mountains, erosion, rock slides, etc. Basically pointing out the level of care that went into designing the wilds of Skellige, Velen etc. Ring a bell with someone? I searched a bit for it but no luck. I think it was rather long/thorough and the narrator knew quite a lot about geography/terrains and stuff.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Question: I remember someone sharing a vid of the Witcher 3 at NeoGAF, where someone really tore into all the small details and features of W3's nature. Stuff like rock formations, rivers, ice, shape of mountains, erosion, rock slides, etc. Basically pointing out the level of care that went into designing the wilds of Skellige, Velen etc. Ring a bell with someone? I searched a bit for it but no luck. I think it was rather long/thorough and the narrator knew quite a lot about geography/terrains and stuff.
Sorry for the late-ass reply. Sounds like you were looking for this:

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
No Thronebreaker threads have taken off yet, so I'll just bump this thread for some behind the scenes videos of Percival back in the studio for the spinoff.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
But what is Thronebreaker? i've watched the trailers but i still have no idea what it is or how it plays.

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
But what is Thronebreaker? i've watched the trailers but i still have no idea what it is or how it plays.

There's a kind of overhead view which is used to travel and complete quests/battles, while the battles are Gwent matches (with a redesigned board and only two card areas rather than three), from what I understand.

Screenshots from the GOG page:

O3sH6gE.jpg

LAjV9X1.jpg

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
I will jump back into this game since I never actually got to the DLC but will replay the main game as well. So what are the recommended QOL mods?

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
I will jump back into this game since I never actually got to the DLC but will replay the main game as well. So what are the recommended QOL mods?
I dont think there are any required mods by any means because the game has been patched to hell and back from CDPR. However, there are a few that are really nice according to me.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2067/ Friendly meditation. Great for immersion, you stay in the game while meditating, there is a cool timelapse effect and it really feels like it should have been in the base game.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/752 Hood n Cape toggle. Just a nice cosmetic option, especially the hood, which can make geralt look pretty badass, and more of a wanderer which Witchers are in the first place.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1021 HD textures mod. This is probably the most popular and recommended mod. Revamps the textures for many objects to more detailed versions. Looks nice, but also drastically changes the overall asthetics in certain cases, im not sure i like that.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/625 Auto apply oils. The only QoL mod that i felt makes a significant difference. There are others like fast travel from anywhere or expanded inventory, but i honestly think the game is better played without them, personally.

Besides that you have a lot of different graphical mods that change the lightning and plays around with hues and color tones, but those are mostly sidesteps and different takes rather than improvements. I think the vanilla game looks gorgeous, so I never bothered.

SaiST

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a list of the remaining, quest-breaking bugs in Witcher 3? First, I had a problem with the start of the Wolf School Gear treasure hunt, which pretty much forced me to restart. Now the Ofieri diagrams quest is jacked; can't find the letter or diagram in the bandit's hideout. I remember hearing about both of these(and dodged them, thankfully) when I was playing this on the PS4 years ago, and I'm shocked that I'm running into them on the One X now.

Gonna try re-installing everything, and loading up a save before I started Evil's First Soft Touches, and went to Novigrad. If it doesn't work, it'll probably completely kill my drive to finish this run. The completionist in me just can't allow it. :p

[EDIT] - Didn't work. Drive is deeeeaaaad!

Last edited:

ThatWasAJoke

Oct 28, 2017
Was just thinking, what is everyone's favourite part of W3, Velen, Novigrad, Skellige or Toussaint. I love how diverse, self-contained and realistic each place feels, with a defined identity, with a population with common experiences and of course just a level of graphical integrity.
I'd personally go
1. Skellige - the most beautiful, the flowers against the grass and ice are incredible, love the smaller islands too even if I think Skellige has some of the weaker quests in the game.
2. Toussaint - Very beautiful, Beauclair is an incredible city. Great diversity in the landscape and the quests are alright.
3. Velen - While it is the most drab area graphically has by the far best quests with Baron, Letho, the spooky island. The place exudes a sense of being lived-in, everyone has a common story of suffering due to the war and the landscape clearly reflects that with the destruction everywhere. Love the great geographic changes to, from swamps to plains to forests
4. Novigrad is still fantastic, but I think a little more limited in terms of exploration. The main story here is till fantastic but not nearly as strong as at Velen. Side quests are ok, not many from here I remember super-super fondly. Obviously still an incredible achievement in building the city

Is there a list of the remaining, quest-breaking bugs in Witcher 3? First, I had a problem with the start of the Wolf School Gear treasure hunt, which pretty much forced me to restart. Now the Ofieri diagrams quest is jacked; can't find the letter or diagram in the bandit's hideout. I remember hearing about both of these(and dodged them, thankfully) when I was playing this on the PS4 years ago, and I'm shocked that I'm running into them on the One X now.

Gonna try re-installing everything, and loading up a save before I started Evil's First Soft Touches, and went to Novigrad. If it doesn't work, it'll probably completely kill my drive to finish this run. The completionist in me just can't allow it. :p

[EDIT] - Didn't work. Drive is deeeeaaaad!
Damn that really sucks. Frustrating they haven't fixed everything despite the fact I was lucky to never encounter a game-breaking bug

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Anybody used this mod?

Some things I can't wrap my head around is why the scale goes from 1x to 10 up to -5x

Why does it go negative at the end of the choices? How do you make all last? I want to tweak but yea

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey all. Witcher 3 is on sale at my EB and I was wondering if anyone could sell me on it.

I'm not really a fan of sandbox Western RPGs, but I've never really given one an in-depth shot before. Would Witcher 3 be a good place to start?

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Hey all. Witcher 3 is on sale at my EB and I was wondering if anyone could sell me on it.

I'm not really a fan of sandbox Western RPGs, but I've never really given one an in-depth shot before. Would Witcher 3 be a good place to start?
Maybe? What kind of games do you typically enjoy? If you aren't interested in a long narrative, then I wouldn't recommend Witcher 3. But if you like games with a compelling story, it's one of the best ever. The combat is pretty good (people's complaints about the combat have always been overblown), the world is outstanding and every single quest (including side quests) is compelling; it's not just a bunch of copy-paste fetch quests. And the decisions you make in the game never feel like there's one obvious "good" answer and then the opposite if you want to be a "bad" guy; the choices generally offer both positive and negative outcomes regardless of what you choose, which makes every decision feel a lot more interesting. Everything carries more emotional weight because you can't always prevent harm from coming to someone who may not deserve it. And it has the best single-player DLC ever in the expansions Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine, so if you can snag the complete edition, it's a hell of a package.

What's the sale price?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe? What kind of games do you typically enjoy? If you aren't interested in a long narrative, then I wouldn't recommend Witcher 3. But if you like games with a compelling story, it's one of the best ever. The combat is pretty good (people's complaints about the combat have always been overblown), the world is outstanding and every single quest (including side quests) is compelling; it's not just a bunch of copy-paste fetch quests. And the decisions you make in the game never feel like there's one obvious "good" answer and then the opposite if you want to be a "bad" guy; the choices generally offer both positive and negative outcomes regardless of what you choose, which makes every decision feel a lot more interesting. Everything carries more emotional weight because you can't always prevent harm from coming to someone who may not deserve it. And it has the best single-player DLC ever in the expansions Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine, so if you can snag the complete edition, it's a hell of a package.

What's the sale price?

$25 CAD I'm pretty sure. It's the complete edition with the DLC.

I am interested in a long, compelling narrative so that's a plus.

What are the problems with the gameplay?

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland

Welp, let me try. I will simply list its most important features. You decide if you like the sound of that.
  • Predefined MC with limited customization. You play as Geralt, the protagonist of the previous two games, and books written by Andrzej Sapkowski. Now, some people like their RPGs only with custom MC and deep role play opportunities, which is why it's important for you to know what you are NOT getting. You get a MC with a fixed backstory and set role in the world (he's a witcher, a shunned monster slayer for hire).
  • Story heavy, but not MC centric. TW3 story doesn't resolve around you, but instead casts you in the shoes of character caught in events beyond his control. You don't need to play previous entries or read the books to enjoy the game or understand its storyline. Devs assumed TW3 would be the first game for many and designed it accordingly.
  • Rich in content. You can expect around 40 to 50 hours from the main storyline. Similarly, you get around 50 hours from the multitude of sidequests. If you want more there is an expansion pack (+/- 50 hours long) featuring two story heavy DLCs, one taking place in an entirely new area.
  • Not a typical WRPG. This game was made by Polish devs and draws deeply from that specific folklore and cultural mindset. You can expect things to be decisely more low-fantasy and heavy-themed than RPGs made by American, Japanese or Western European devs. Alcoholism, domestic abuse, sex, rape, war devastation are present etc.

The most common complaint you will encounter in any TW3 thread is that the combat system is apparently not very good. It's overblown, of course. You do not get Soulsborne combat, because the game is not trying to be that. Watch this video to see if the combat system looks like your cup of tea.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, let me try. I will simply list its most important features. You decide if you like the sound of that.
  • Predefined MC with limited customization. You play as Geralt, the protagonist of the previous two games, and books written by Andrzej Sapkowski. Now, some people like their RPGs only with custom MC and deep role play opportunities, which is why it's important for you to know what you are NOT getting. You get a MC with a fixed backstory and set role in the world (he's a witcher, a shunned monster slayer for hire).
  • Story heavy, but not MC centric. TW3 story doesn't resolve around you, but instead casts you in the shoes of character caught in events beyond his control. You don't need to play previous entries or read the books to enjoy the game or understand its storyline. Devs assumed TW3 would be the first game for many and designed it accordingly.
  • Rich in content. You can expect around 40 to 50 hours from the main storyline. Similarly, you get around 50 hours from the multitude of sidequests. If you want more there is an expansion pack (+/- 50 hours long) featuring two story heavy DLCs, one taking place in an entirely new area.
  • Not a typical WRPG. This game was made by Polish devs and draws deeply from that specific folklore and cultural mindset. You can expect things to be decisely more low-fantasy and heavy-themed than RPGs made by American, Japanese or Western European devs. Alcoholism, domestic abuse, sex, rape, war devastation are present etc.

The most common complaint you will encounter in any TW3 thread is that the combat system is apparently not very good. It's overblown, of course. You do not get Soulsborne combat, because the game is not trying to be that. Watch this video to see if the combat system looks like your cup of tea.

Sounds up my alley. Thanks.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
$25 CAD I'm pretty sure. It's the complete edition with the DLC.

I am interested in a long, compelling narrative so that's a plus.

The biggest problems in the gameplay department are in planning an effective build from the start; if you start building a character one way and then have a change of heart, you can end up with something ineffective. There are ways within the game to completely reset your build, but they aren't accessible until the middle of the game and they can be costly. The late beginning through the middle of the game can further suffer because while you're working towards a planned build, you haven't fully leveled every skill you ultimately want, so you can end up feeling somewhat powerless. This vanishes completely by the late game, and through the DLCs, but it can be frustrating when you feel like you can't have access to the tools you need to be successful immediately. There's also no effective ranged weapon at basically any point in the game, so that's kind of a bummer.

Apart from that, I think the combat is actually really good, and really varied. I've played as a character who focused on offensive magic, a character who focused on speed, and a character who focused on monstrous heavy attacks, and all of them were fun. It's a pretty basic dodge/counter system at its core, but the addition of defensive magic spells and bombs offers some variety, and the monsters (of which there are a lot) all have different strategies required to confront them, which lends some good depth.

For $25, I'd say it's a steal.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Sounds up my alley. Thanks.
The Witcher 3 is a benchmark in game development. If you are even slightly into narrative driven rpgs, you owe it to yourself to at least try it. The combat system is solid, better than almost every other similiar rpg, just avoid a Quen spam spec. Play around a bit, there are many fun builds and ways to approach combat. The term "quen spam" most likely wont mean anything to you right now, but you will understand after you get more familiar with the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
I just found the weapons and armour for Griffin, where do I craft these exactly? Also how do I get the better versions so I can get the set bonus?

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
I just found the weapons and armour for Griffin, where do I craft these exactly? Also how do I get the better versions so I can get the set bonus?

Set bonus is only for the highest tier armour which you can find in Toussaint. End game stuff. As for your other question, this map shows you the location of armourers and blacksmiths in the overworld. There you can craft your gear. Schematics for higher tier Witcher armour/weapons can be found by purchasing maps from said blacksmiths and armourers.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Set bonus is only for the highest tier armour which you can find in Toussaint. End game stuff. As for your other question, this map shows you the location of armourers and blacksmiths in the overworld. There you can craft your gear. Schematics for higher tier Witcher armour/weapons can be found by purchasing maps from said blacksmiths and armourers.

Is it any smith and armourer that can make it? I ask because I am at a armourer and it says Journeyman which is entry level still. Also is there a way to track what parts I need so when I go to dismantle I can easily remember?

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
Is it any smith and armourer that can make it? I ask because I am at a armourer and it says Journeyman which is entry level still. Also is there a way to track what parts I need so when I go to dismantle I can easily remember?

It's been a while, but from what I recall only Master armourer/blacksmith can craft the highest tier gear in non-DLC game. Each Witcher set has four tiers, so you're good with amateur crafstmen for the first and then you move up to the journeymen. For the fourth tier you need the masters as I said, for whom you need to do some quests first.

As for tracking parts, I don't think so.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
This is somewhat late and all but since I just discovered it and the news doesn't exactly seem to have made the rounds ...

The English translation for the Hussite Trilogy has been announced about a month ago . It's Sapkowski's other big series, consisting of Book 1 - The Tower or Fools (aka Narrenturm*) , Book 2 - God's Warriors and Book 3 - Lux Perpetua, taking place in Silesia and Bohemia against the backdrop of (duh) Hussite Wars in ~1420's. First book in May 2020.

Sharley simulator game clearly soon !

* I dunno why they're translating that German term when it was left like that in the Polish version.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
It's been a while, but from what I recall only Master armourer/blacksmith can craft the highest tier gear in non-DLC game. Each Witcher set has four tiers, so you're good with amateur crafstmen for the first and then you move up to the journeymen. For the fourth tier you need the masters as I said, for whom you need to do some quests first.

Thanks! So are all base armours and enhanced crafting recipes found in the wild? I just fought a lvl 19 cyclops (as lvl 13 woowoo) and got the mastercraft Ursine armour pieces.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Thanks! So are all base armours and enhanced crafting recipes found in the wild? I just fought a lvl 19 cyclops (as lvl 13 woowoo) and got the mastercraft Ursine armour pieces.
As far as i know, yes, all the witcher school sets are part of scavanger hunts, none can be aquired from vendors. As a side note, there are two pretty cool low level armor sets that are great in the early game and look good, the Temerian armor set and the Nilfgaardian armor set. Both are available from merchants, the former from a vendor in white orchard, the latter from the quartermaster in crows perch. The temerian set especially looks great i think, and you can get improved versions of the sets from the vendors at once you hit certain levels.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Oh I made the entire set of Griffin Armour. Though I wish it was light armor.

Also why are notice boards yellow but don't offers actual quests? It is cool to read and all but don't want to travel to them all if no quests xD

Just read them if I am nearby, but not as a main thing.

Also all notice boards are shown right? You don't need to "discover" them all?

Last edited: