• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
I just finished the books earlier this year. I think this looks pretty damn good. Really looking forward to it.
I don't get all the complaints about it looking cheap. I think it looks like it will have good production values and be well acted.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it looks cheap, GoT just spoiled us with its incredibly high budget.

jokingbird

Oct 25, 2017
Unless they set up a gap in the timeline for flashing back to in the second season, A Shard of Ice should stay on the cutting room floor. Adapting that story after Ciri enters their lives would be disastrous, it would especially ruin Geralt as a character. The triangle dynamic is almost definitely staying, but I can't imagine it being the same story.

I think it perfectly describes the gap when Geralt and Yen are not together. I am not sure how it ruins Geralt as a character. It is setting up how she leaves him after he left her in the past. It sets up how their relationship is a give and take based upon their uncertainty following the last wish.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Ehh that trailer did nothing for me..
Also the music so far sounds pretty bad.

Music released so far from the show - the theme for Geralt and Jaskier's ballad - and the music in the newest trailer are one of the best parts of the show so far.. Slavic folk music with some modern touches.. if you don't like it, well, shame but it really fits the show and the world from the Witcher books

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno what exactly you are watching, or what you are actually comparing it to, but it does look cheap. There are more than a few shows out now on TV that do both large and small scale fights pretty well, and might even do one or the other at a much higher standard than most. Nothing in any of these trailers show that this series can go beyond average at best. It's like a huge portion of the budget was spent on the monster CGI and the actors.

It's a good thing the focus of the Witcher novels is definitely not large scale battles. They rightfully should spend more on actors and monster CGI.

Most reviews have said the small scale swordplay is excellent though.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I don't think it looks cheap, GoT just spoiled us with its incredibly high budget.

It's insanity to think that many studios producing TV would put 10+ Million USD per episode into show. HBO is very much abnormality enabled by insane success of GoT over the years.

Not shocked if GoT's whole 1st season was done with same or lower budget than single episode in last season cost HBO.

Witcher looks pretty good imo for what must be pretty high budget for NetFlix standards.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Compare this to season 1 or 2 and I think it's favorable. There's a lot more CG and effects needed in Witcher than GoT Season 1 through maybe 4 so obviously they need to spread it out.

Hell look what happened when GoT itself got spread too thin. Check out the Dorne fight scene for reference.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I think it perfectly describes the gap when Geralt and Yen are not together. I am not sure how it ruins Geralt as a character. It is setting up how she leaves him after he left her in the past. It sets up how their relationship is a give and take based upon their uncertainty following the last wish.
It's because Geralt has no business even contemplating a dick-measuring duel once Ciri enters his life. It would be embarrassing.
The short story sees all those 50-100 year olds acting like horny teenagers, and that's a lot of fun, but it can only work before Ciri changes everything.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
It's a good thing the focus of the Witcher novels is definitely not large scale battles. They rightfully should spend more on actors and monster CGI.

What does the primary focus of the books have to do with what may or may not actually look good? When I mentioned the monster CGI and actors, I meant that the majority of the budget went to them at the expense of the battles.

And it's weird to compare the budget to Game of Thrones as though this has a significantly smaller budget. It doesn't compared to the earlier seasons. Plus, if the rumors are true, each episode of this actually cost slightly more. Even a show like The Last Kingdom looks like it has better fights.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished the books earlier this year. I think this looks pretty damn good. Really looking forward to it.
I don't get all the complaints about it looking cheap. I think it looks like it will have good production values and be well acted.

They're just silly hot takes. Like the people in the Mandalorian thread that said it looked like a fan film after episode 1 came out.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
What does the primary focus of the books have to do with what may or may not actually look good? When I mentioned the monster CGI and actors, I meant that the majority of the budget went to them at the expense of the battles.
Yes? That's the right choice to make for Witcher. There's likely just one larger scale battle anyway. Meanwhile they need CG every episode, and monsters will make or break this show.

As I said though, most reviews stated the smaller scale swordplay was excellent.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Yes? That's the right choice to make for Witcher. There's likely just one larger scale battle anyway. Meanwhile they need CG every episode, and monsters will make or break this show.

As I said though, most reviews stated the smaller scale swordplay was excellent.

Am I not being clear enough with what I am talking about? I don't care if they have large scale battles or not. I'm not asking for more, only that if they are going to do them, don't make them look so fucking bad. Even Game of Thrones knew how to budget for the larger fights; they mainly did not even have them and simply showed the aftermath, or had a single (well done) huge fight per season until they tried going full scale blockbuster movie mode with season 7&8, but then that's all those seasons had to offer for the most part.

And maybe the smaller fights are done better, but the trailers didn't convey that at all.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
Triss is a fucking skank. i'll be happy if she doesn't play a big part.

So Yen, a few questions since we know it's you behind that account.

How long did it take to learn to use computers after Ciri warped you to our universe? Do you go by "Jen" here in our world to keep up with modern naming convention? Did the unicorn make the journey?

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Even a show like The Last Kingdom looks like it has better fights.

I mean

8450f7d3a3632e7d08ab45897981da2f.gif

Even Game of Thrones knew how to budget for the larger fights

GoT has no large fights early in the series. It was a running joke that they cut away whenever a battle was about to happen and only showed the aftermath.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

And it's weird to compare the budget to Game of Thrones as though this has a significantly smaller budget. It doesn't compared to the earlier seasons. Plus, if the rumors are true, each episode of this actually cost slightly more. Even a show like The Last Kingdom looks like it has better fights.

You've seen like 10 seconds of two different fights, it's nothing.

jokingbird

Oct 25, 2017
It's because Geralt has no business even contemplating a dick-measuring duel once Ciri enters his life. It would be embarrassing.
The short story sees all those 50-100 year olds acting like horny teenagers, and that's a lot of fun, but it can only work before Ciri changes everything.

That is why it would be a flashback. None of the short stories could work after the main saga begins.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
That is why it would be a flashback. None of the short stories could work after the main saga begins.
Oh geez, I somehow managed to miss the "flashback" part of your original post. Sorry about that. Must have gotten my wires crossed because I keep seeing people suggesting that it should be done as part of the main season 2 plot.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Music released so far from the show - the theme for Geralt and Jaskier's ballad - and the music in the newest trailer are one of the best parts of the show so far.. Slavic folk music with some modern touches.. if you don't like it, well, shame but it really fits the show and the world from the Witcher books
They should have thrown money at the game's composer to get him to do it, why replace perfection?

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
They should have thrown money at the game's composer to get him to do it, why replace perfection?

I rather hear something new, something unique to the show than if they would just copied the music from the game.. the Polish original TV series wasn't really good, but music was fantastic - if anything, the Witcher games took many influences when it comes to the music from the Polish show.. but still made their own take on it and that's why is it good that the Netflix show is going to have her own original music too

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Watched most of the interviews on YT and it's gotten me more interested than ant of the actual trailers.

Cavill seems like a genuine PC gamer and extremely into the lore and Geralt as a character. Actress that plays Ciri is looking promising too. Yennefer was the only one that looked a bit suspect in interviews, seemed like Anya struggled a bit with the questions about her character.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
I really hope this is good, I need a good fantasy show after my Game of Thrones disappointment.

If the TV show is it is now is following the short stories, these will be more action-oriented.

You don't get your GoT-type intrigue between the Northern Kingdoms until the first novel, Blood of Elves.

I'm sure hey will tease with some of that here though.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I feel like people are being blinded by their love for the source material. Everything I've seen in motion looks badddd so far. All of the fight scenes are floaty, with the weapons not even touching people yet they fall over and die. The choreography looks terrible and like a B-movie.

I love the games and novels a lot, but this just doesnt look promising to me, which is a shame because Henry deserves this to be a success.

The combat isn't really important for me. I care more about a good story and good characters. Combat whether good or bad doesn't make a story.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Holy fuck, this is coming out on the 20th?

Thought this was was like a mid 2020 thing.

Still pretty cautious about it but eager to give it a shot. Alright, lets do this shit.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Isn't that just like, the framing story though?

It's a framing story yes, but a story nevertheless that builds upon the lore just like the other short stories.
It establishes, besides respite for Geralt and how he handles xenophobia, Nenneke's knowledge of the arts both natural and arcane, making for an ideal hiding place for Ciri when the time is right. It is from here where Yenna will retrieve Ciri for her formal training as a sorceress.

It's important...like most things in the Witcher series.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Was this posted? It looks like it's a week old but there's a lot of good info in here including Andrzej Sapkowski's reaction to being on set during filming.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Review from Financial Times - 2/5

Uh oh.

I do am worried on how mixing the short stories (are they like, all flashbacks?) with the expanded Ciri storyline (present ?) works out. + I guess there's still Yen's backstory to cover which I guess could end up being confusing to casual viewer unfamiliar with the series.