• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Review from Financial Times - 2/5

Uh oh.

I do am worried on how mixing the short stories (are they like, all flashbacks?) with the expanded Ciri storyline (present ?) works out. + I guess there's still Yen's backstory to cover which I guess could end up being confusing to casual viewer unfamiliar with the series.

So can someone please say what they have said in their review?

EDIT. ok, so this is what they have to say about the series

Why Netflix's The Witcher fails to steal the Game of Thrones crown

The new fantasy series has the violence and unpronounceable names but not the swagger

Considering he goes around killing monsters on request, the improbably chiselled and gruff Geralt of Rivia (Henry Cavill) gets no thanks. Some of the ladies give this black-leather-clad hunk with the long silver hair the glad eye, but the more usual greeting is a curt "We don't want your kind around here!" Even after he's rid the village of a giant, pond-lurking spider. With its medieval stylings, sprawling narrative and liberal dusting of magic, Netflix's The Witcher is presumably intended to fill the Game of Thrones-sized hole in viewers' lives. Not forgetting the daft names. Fringilla. Stregobor. Jaskier.

It's certainly violent enough. Why stab someone in the back or punch them in the face once, when you could do it a dozen times? Street fights, where ne'er-do-wells obligingly assail our hero one by one, throb to the whop-whop and ktsss of blade slicing flesh. There's also the sudden-death protocol. Any character who shows the slightest spark one minute is liable to get snuffed out the next. The Witcher himself has a basic ethical code: don't hit women. Unless you really have to, that is.

The plot gestures to the labyrinthine complexity of GoT with its triple narrative — fugitive princess, apprentice sorceress and our travelling beast-slayer. After a battle scene that is less about strategy and deployment than a thousand separate incidents of hand-to-hand combat, Ciri (Freya Allan) escapes the conflagration of her city with a loyal bodyguard. You feel for poor Anya Chalotra as misshapen Yennefer, having to go around with one shoulder hoisted up, a head permanently tilted and a wodge of cotton wool in her mouth. She will be beautiful one day, and it can't come soon enough.

"Magic is organising chaos," says her inscrutable instructress, which is no help at all when you're told to move rocks with your mind. Sets and costumes (apart from Geralt's) have a perfunctory air. The grubby-looking elves have sad little pointed ears and an aggrieved manner that suggests they can't wait to get off the set. The horned, goat-eyed "Sylvan" is such a prosthetic fail it's almost cute.

What on earth is going on? Jodhi May as the Queen delivers an indecipherable crib on current events before heading off to battle. Reticent Geralt attracts a tiresomely chatty follower, a lute-toting bard (Joey Batey). "There I go again, just delivering exposition," he blabs, scratching desperately at the fourth wall. Characters in GoT were very sure of themselves. This lot look confused, and Cavill is like a rock in a stream, letting it all flow past him.

Berto

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of those "look at me I'm trying to be funny" kinda reviews, but it might be a good indicator of how people not familiar with source material and/or only familiar with GOT in the fantasy genre will view and aproach the series which is not promissing for the future. But audiences are unexpected so we'll see.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That "review" is garbage. What's their criticism exactly?

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Is that really the full review? They give it a 2/5 and barely go into any criticisms other than saying the characters look confused.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I must say that making fun of "strange" or "foreign" sounding names is pretty stupid .. just because they aren't more "western" or "English" sounding ? I mean, some names are hard to pronounce like Ihuarraquax, Myrgtabrakke, Zerrikanterment or Villentretenmerth but Fringilla or Jaskier ? Or even Stregobor

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Is that review implying that GoT also has daft names?

What do they want names to be in a fantasy series? Fucking Frank and Bill?

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I tried listening to the first line of the trailer over and over again and couldn't get it without subtitles, wtf.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This FT "review" reads like someone had the show playing in the background while they were doing something else, then glanced at the screen every 30 minutes or so and thought it was silly and didn't make sense.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Ok, so this are some leaked images from the 5th episode
Here is Chireadan, an elf that secretly loves Yennefer
mkoz94jquf441.jpg

And here are Geralt and Yennefer after they defeated a djinn
n477v3jquf441.jpg

kk1c0bjquf441.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
Judging from the episode titles they'll be blazing through the story pretty fast. I'm a bit worried how much "they sat around the campfire talking" bits have made the cut. Those are the best bits in the books IMO.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Judging from the episode titles they'll be blazing through the story pretty fast. I'm a bit worried how much "they sat around the campfire talking" bits have made the cut. Those are the best bits in the books IMO.

How fast they are burning through it when showrunner has said that she has mapped out 7 seasons total for the show?

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017

The show runner said they are not going in the same order as the books since some characters don't appear early on. She said there will be a lot of time skipping back and forth.

Oct 28, 2017
How fast they are burning through it when showrunner has said that she has mapped out 7 seasons total for the show?
2 books out of 8 plus it seems like they made up some extra backstory for Yennefer as well for the first season.
The show runner said they are not going in the same order as the books since some characters don't appear early on. She said there will be a lot of time skipping back and forth.
Guess we'll see it soon, but since the first two books are mostly collections of short stories there's a lot of skipping in them already.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't expect too many of those bits to make it onto the show, but when they do, they're guaranteed to have a different tone because the showrunner started out by making Geralt less talkative and then kept cutting his lines further based on Cavill's game-inspired performance. Expect less overly emotional monologuing and more meaningful grunting.

2 books out of 8 plus it seems like they made up some extra backstory for Yennefer as well for the first season.
Guess we'll see it soon, but since the first two books are mostly collections of short stories there's a lot of skipping in them already.
Out of 7, really. I can't imagine them borrowing much from Season of Storms and doing a full adaptation of an inconsequential prequel wouldn't make a lick of sense.

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't expect too many of those bits to make it onto the show, but when they do, they're guaranteed to have a different tone because the showrunner started out by making Geralt less talkative and then kept cutting his lines further based on Cavill's game-inspired performance. Expect less overly emotional monologuing and more meaningful grunting.
That's exactly what I'm afraid of. Like how he grunts "Don't touch Roach!", while book Geralt says stuff like: "You're as good of a fisherman as a goat's ass for a trumpet." Or even in the game "Lambert, Lamber what a cunt...how's that for a poem?".

Last edited:

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly what I'm afraid of. Like how he grunts "Don't touch Roach!", while book Geralt says stuff like: "You're as good as a fisherman as a goat's ass for a trumpet." Or even in the game "Lambert, Lamber what a cunt...how's that for a poem?".
It doesn't help that Cavill's delivery sounds dry and boorish. Sapkowski's Geralt is a major whiner, but his rants are always passionate and fun.

She's too old to play that character, especially since they wanted to show her early years and transformation. They would have had to cast someone else for that part.
If they can age up Ciri (a change that forces them to massively alter the character and her story), they could also make Yennefer a little bit older, that would be an entirely superficial change.
The flashbacks likely won't feature in more than 2 episodes, so they easily could have hired a teenage actress for that part... that is, they could have if they didn't have this weird obsession with showing her naked. I thought they were going to tone down Sapkowski's often embarrassing perviness, but right now it seems they're on track to making it worse.

Last edited:

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
If they can age up Ciri (a change that forces them to massively alter the character and her story), they could also make Yennefer a little bit older, that would be an entirely superficial change.
The flashbacks likely won't feature in more than 2 episodes, so they easily could have hired a teenage actress for that part... that is, they could have if they didn't have this weird obsession with showing her naked. I thought they were going to tone down Sapkowski's often embarrassing perviness, but right now it seems they're on track to making it worse.

Who has an obsession showing Yennefer naked? Sapkowski? If so what that has to do with this series, do we even know what if any nudity it will feature?

Why having young looking Yennefer ruffles so much feathers?

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Who has an obsession showing Yennefer naked? Sapkowski? If so what that has to do with this series, do we even know what if any nudity it will feature?

There is nudity in some of the YouTube trailers. Like a big orgy in the background

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
I might be stretching here, but if Eva Green didn't audition and had no interest in auditioning or the part - were they supposed drag her on to the set to keep some internet turds happy who can't for one second disengage their misshapen tiny minds from the masturbatory images that originally formed therewith?

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
This is the first I have heard of Sapkowski and "often embarrassing perviness."

I think his novels are significantly more tasteful than GRRM.|

Edit: I don't care too much about discussing casting. I didn't like Cavill's overly handsomeness and cleft chin, but it's too late for that now.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
As far as 'pervy' Fantasy authors, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time would be waaaay higher up lol.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017

That poster just seems to have issues with sexuality in general. They said Yennifer being described by Geralt as having the body of a 20 year old was creepy.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017

Screeners have been going out for a while now and there are leaks out there. Netflix is making some questionable changes.

Personally, I don't like the idea of Yennefer looking this young because it messes up the "family" dynamic. The way an older-looking Triss (Ciri's "sister") fits into it makes the whole thing even weirder.

This is the first I have heard of Sapkowski and "often embarrassing perviness."

I think his novels are significantly more tasteful than GRRM.|

Edit: I don't care too much about discussing casting. I didn't like Cavill's overly handsomeness and cleft chin, but it's too late for that now.
Sapkowski spends more time describing characters' nipples than he ever does describing their faces. I'd say that's rather embarrassing.

That poster just seems to have issues with sexuality in general. They said Yennifer being described by Geralt as having the body of a 20 year old was creepy.
Oh, please. He was creepin' and being weird about it. Geralt is an ageless oldtimer making a judgmental mental note about her real age while ogling her body.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Sapkowski spends more time describing characters' nipples than he ever does describing their faces. I'd say that's rather embarrassing.

Mmmm, care to provide some receipts? Because I've read everything Sapkowski ever published, numerous times, in both Polish original and Czech/English/Slovak translation, and I can't say I have the slightest idea what the fuck you're talking about.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017

Not really sure, I read all the books, played all the games. I think inevitably people are just going to approach it with their own perspective, whether it's how a character CD Red adapted and made them look or how the author described Geralt and Yennefer being older than they looked due to mutations/magic.

In the end, this is going to be 100x times better than The Hexer (although that may be moot) and I think even the author is excited about his books finally coming together in a more serious manner, plus the fact that Lauren and her crew actually got to know the author and what drove him to create his stories, I thought that was pretty touching and I'm sure he did too. I'm sure he even appreciates CD Red adapting/continuing their own thing too despite the history surrounding that.

As another example of a show-book adaption, I had ideas in my head for what actors The Expanse might hire on, and ultimately I liked their choices even though in my head some of the characters look different from their evolution in Space environments.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
"How ravishing she is, he thought. Everything about her is ravishing. And menacing. Those colours of hers; that contrast of black and white. Beauty and menace. Her raven-black, natural curls. Her cheekbones, pronounced, emphasising a wrinkle, which her smile – if she deigned to smile – created beside her mouth, wonderfully narrow and pale beneath her lipstick. Her eyebrows, wonderfully irregular, when she washed off the kohl that outlined them during the day. Her nose, exquisitely too long. Her delicate hands, wonderfully nervous, restless and adroit. Her waist, willowy and slender, emphasised by an excessively tightened belt. Slim legs, setting in motion the flowing shapes of her black skirt. Ravishing. "

Nary a mention of nipples.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Mmmm, care to provide some receipts? Because I've read everything Sapkowski ever published, numerous times, in both Polish original and Czech/English/Slovak translation, and I can't say I have the slightest idea what the fuck you're talking about.
Am I supposed to provide every description of character as proof? Just look at how Sabrina is described in Time of Contempt.

Jesus, you guys. It's fine to criticize the things you like. Sapkowski is a fun writer, but he often gravitates to describing breasts over anything else, that's just a thing he does.
It's not even a unique quirk, there's a reason this is a thing:

fcs7as1.jpg

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Am I supposed to provide every description of character as proof?

Yes. There are at least two of us who have the entire collection of books on our shelves.

I'll give you an example. From Baptism of Fire:

"Even if the marauders were thinking about putting up a fight, the sight of falling corpses and blood gushing in streams effectively discouraged them. One of them, who had his trousers around his knees since he hadn't even had time to pull them up, was slashed in the carotid artery and stumbled onto his back, comically swinging his still unsatisfied manhood" (98).​

Furthermore, Sapkowski, unlike GRRM, enables his female characters to speak on the horrors of war, rather than remain passive victims:

"There was a spread-eagled girl, lying near a burnt-out farmyard, naked, bloody, staring at the sky with glazed eyes.
'They say war's a male thing,' Milva growled. 'But they have no mercy on women; they have to have their fun. Fucking heroes; damn them all.'
'You're right. But you won't change it.'

"I already have. I ran away from home. I didn't want to sweep the cottage and scrub the floors. I wasn't going to wait until they arrived and put the cottage to the torch, spread me out on the very same floor and…' She broke off, and spurred her horse forward" (69).​

PPL talk about Ayra Stark. Wait till they get a load of Milva, Angoulême, Ciri (as Falka), Yenna. TBQH the women in his books far outshine the men.

This is done on purpose, I think , to contrast with
the main villain, who is a bonafide misogynist

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Am I supposed to provide every description of character as proof? Just look at how Sabrina is described in Time of Contempt.

Jesus, you guys. It's fine to criticize the things you like. Sapkowski is a fun writer, but he often gravitates to describing breasts over anything else, that's just a thing he does.
It's not even a unique quirk, there's a reason this is a thing:

Ohhh okay, this is about scene in baths, where Sabrina purposefully provokes the special forces soldierwoman?
Wow. If that's the reason you dishonestly claim that "Sapkowski spends more time describing characters' nipples than he ever does describing their faces. I'd say that's rather embarrassing.", then you're right. It's rather embarrassing, but not for Sapkowski. For you.

Edit: I'm not disputing it's a noticeable trend in fiction, for example Jim Butcher's (Dresden Files) juvenile obsession with female breasts and nipple description is genuinely embarrassing, but Sapkowski honestly isn't guilty of it.
I found his sex scenes to be more tasteful than GRRM's, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. There are at least two of us who have the entire collection of books on our shelves.

I'll give you an example. From Baptism of Fire:
I honestly don't know what you're trying to accomplish with these quotes. I didn't say he doesn't write about anything else. He wrote some fantastic female characters, but his descriptions don't always match the characterization. The treatment of teenage characters in Sapkowski's novels is also less than ideal and that's the main thing I'd like to see changed in this adaptation.
And before you bring up Martin, I don't even like his books! I genuinely like Sapkowski, a lot, I just have some issues with his writing.

Ohhh okay, this is about scene in baths, where Sabrina purposefully provokes the special forces soldierwoman?
Wow. If that's the reason you dishonestly claim that "Sapkowski spends more time describing characters' nipples than he ever does describing their faces. I'd say that's rather embarrassing.", then you're right. It's rather embarrassing, but not for Sapkowski. For you.
It's the first example I could think of, of a character who's mostly described by her revealing clothes. An easily googlable example in a part of a book filled with women described in the same way. I'm sorry I didn't carefully annotate my post. The comparison was meant to be funny because I didn't want to go into seriously weird shit like a dead man's saliva drying on a teenager's nipples, but boy howdy, did that backfire.
And for the record, Sapkowski is quite vague with his descriptions in general, it's not limited to women. It can take him eight books and a few decades to specify a main character's hair color, but descriptions of breasts (and what they're doing at the moment) are ever-present and they tend to pop up in the middle of even the most benign narration.

I found his sex scenes to be more tasteful than GRRM's, that's for sure.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the way Martin does it, but I'm also not talking about sex scenes. Sapkowski can write those quite well, especially when they're comedic in nature.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just happy Yen is basically going to get more favoritism than Triss (homewrecker) in this one. One of the great things about sticking to the original vision/stories.

She really got shafted in the games. Really want to see more of the Yen/Geralt/Ciri family dynamic.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
I honestly don't know what you're trying to accomplish with these quotes. I didn't say he doesn't write about anything else. He wrote some fantastic female characters, but his descriptions don't always match the characterization. The treatment of teenage characters in Sapkowski's novels is also less than ideal and that's the main thing I'd like to see changed in this adaptation.
And before you bring up Martin, I don't even like his books! I genuinely like Sapkowski, a lot, I just have some issues with his writing.

It's the first example I could think of, of a character who's mostly described by her revealing clothes. An easily googlable example in a part of a book filled with women described in the same way. I'm sorry I didn't carefully annotate my post. The comparison was meant to be funny because I didn't want to go into seriously weird shit like a dead man's saliva drying on a teenager's nipples, but boy howdy, did that backfire.
And for the record, Sapkowski is quite vague with his descriptions in general, it's not limited to women. It can take him eight books and a few decades to specify a main character's hair color, but descriptions of breasts (and what they're doing at the moment) are ever-present and they tend to pop up in the middle of even the most benign narration.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the way Martin does it, but I'm also not talking about sex scenes. Sapkowski can write those quite well, especially when they're comedic in nature.

Your mode of thinking is anachronistic. In a medieval setting, what you consider teenagers are wedded off.

If you were actually familiar with the source material, Ciri's grandmother had originally arranged for Ciri to marry Windhalm of Attre to secure an alliance between nations. Ciri was barely out of diapers maybe ten, may be less. Windhalm was 20!!!

That's how things went in those times. If you don't like it, this genre of literature isn't for you.

OFC, Ciri runs away, and that's how we get the story of "Sword of Destiny," where Geralt encounters Ciri for the first time as she is running away from the arranged marriage.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
So it just came to my realization that a lot of people are poking fun at the Nilfgaard armor shown in the trailer (a lot of the top comments on that trailer as example). I don't recall in the books how they described the forefront of their army other than being "black clad", which included a lot of conscription soldiers going about ransacking.

To me it seems people are going in, again with CD Red's depictions, but it makes sense that the leading edge of their army in the books (and show adaptation) would be using lightly armored soldiers in leather, rather than expensive and heavy 'knightly' armor. I would assume that the Nilfgaard Marshals and Commanders (that we have not been shown) will have expensive "knight" armor, while their pillaging forces will not. Lauren said their idea behind i, is that we are not going to see Nilfgaard at their 'end' point in how they equip their soldiers in the very first Northern War as they expand further. It's kind a nitpick thing to focus on as far the youtube comments go, plus they have a budget and timeline to get this out there.