• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
A recently surfaced casting ad reveals that The Witcher Netflix series may be taking some creative freedom with one of the series' star characters, Ciri.

According to a confidential National Youth Theatre ad listing, Netflix is looking "for a 16 or 15 year old BAME (black, Asian, minority ethnic) girl who can play down to 13/14." The listing adds that the applicant must be under 18.

What's noteworthy about this is that Netflix and co. are looking for a nonwhite actress. As you may know, in the source material, Andrzej Sapkowski's book series, Ciri is depicted as racially white.

The listing continues, defining the character as resilient, relentless, brazen, and growing, and providing the following blurb about her background and involvement in the series' plot:

"Ciri can often be found rough-housing with the Palace hands instead of sitting in finery at the knee of the Queen Calanthe, her grandmother. That is, until Cintra is massacred by the Nilfgaardians and CIRI is orphaned, left to traverse the continent, alone. She doesn't know it yet, but she's a direct descendent of Lara Dorren, an Elven Mage – which is why everyone in our series is after her. We follow CIRI as she evades her captors, and in the meantime, discovers her magical talents, her dark side, and the role she is to play in the coming apocalypse. We are looking for an extraordinary young talent to lead this series. She should be brave hearted and MUST have something truly special about her."

With the series poised to begin shooting next month, we should be finding out soon who Netflix has casted for the leading role. Earlier this week, it revealed that Henry Cavill of Superman fame has been cast as the series' protagonist, Geralt of Rivia. It will be interesting to see if Netflix opts for another recognizable face for its secondary lead role, or goes for more of an unknown quantity.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/09/07/the-witcher-netflix-series-ciri-white-changes/

Really interested in who they get. This could be a great move on their part.

Last edited:

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Geez, when I read "major change" I imagined they were going to do something awful, like make her Geralt's love interest or something. This is fine.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man. This is really going to stir up those white nationalists.

I'm curious what the author thinks. This is a series deeply rooted in white european culture. Of course, it's also a total fantasy so there's no issue with diversifying the cast IMO, but I can imagine the freak out already.

Geez, when I read "major change" I imagined they were going to do something awful, like make her Geralt's love interest or something. This is fine.
Lol me too

Tino C

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 26, 2018
How much can you rely on a child actor. The kids in GOT did good but I don't trust child actors.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Well the headline you copied is a clickbait headline.

You could have just gone to the article's actual source...
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ciri-in-netflix-witcher-series-probably-wont-be-white.67156/

As if that title is any less clickbait lol

I didn't want to use the exact same source as a thread that already existed in another section. I know that not everyone frequents the VG section, but I also know people in Etc are interested in this series. I just wanted to share the news on this side as well so that people wouldn't miss it in case they were interested. I'm sorry that I posted exactly what the article said. Thats my bad apparently.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
How much can you rely on a child actor. The kids in GOT did good but I don't trust child actors.

Well to be honest child actors have been getting better. Also if it comes down to it I imagine they would be flexible enough to raise her age from 14 whatever they needed if they found the right person. I am pretty sure nobody would complain. Fans of the series wanna see Ciri done right. They don't care what age she is.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly whomever they cast is going to have to shut down their Instagram, Facebook, Twitter etc.

Kryst

Banned
Jul 30, 2018
Anybody upset by this move is not a true fan of the series. Ciri's skin color is not her defining feature and is not essential to her character.
You may have a point but when they are looking specifically at a minority actor to play ciri as opposed to one that is most qualified people will understandably make the conclusion that they are pushing an agenda rather than making the best show they can.

If a true fan is someone who doesn't care about ciris skin color then the film makers aren't true fans apparently.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You may have a point but when they are looking specifically at a minority actor to play ciri as opposed to one that is most qualified people will understandably make the conclusion that they are pushing an agenda rather than making the best show they can.

If a true fan is someone who doesn't care about ciris skin color then the film makers aren't true fans apparently.

You're still implying that her being white is the strongest qualification for the character.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Wait so you are saying that casting minority actresses in important roles is "pushing an agenda" and thats it?

Are you fucking serious right now?

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017

It's funny how it's gotta be a white person fit them to be the most qualified for the job .

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
im WAY into this.

honestly, i was always kind of a little blah on how Ciri looked pretty much like female Geralt. way too similar for my tastes, whatever the in-universe reasoning.

Kryst

Banned
Jul 30, 2018
You're still implying that her being white is the strongest qualification for the character.
How am I implying that?
The film makers are implying that skin color matters by primarily targeting people who aren't white.

I want the best actor regardless of skin color to portray ciri.

Wait so you are saying that casting minority actresses in important roles is "pushing an agenda"?
No.
I'm saying that people will easily make the conclusion that it is when you begin alienating people not based on performance but on race.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017

The author of the Witcher series supports diversifying the cast, as the world he created was meant to be diverse. This is in keeping with his vision.

Kryst

Banned
Jul 30, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Downplaying diversity efforts. History of severe infractions. Junior account.
The author of the Witcher series supports diversifying the cast, as the world he created was meant to be diverse. This is in keeping with his vision.
His vision is irrelevant.
I want competent actors who are able to do their job effectively.

When you're looking for specific people and begin alienating that is when eyebrows are raised.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
im WAY into this.

honestly, i was always kind of a little blah on how Ciri looked pretty much like female Geralt. way too similar for my tastes, whatever the in-universe reasoning.
That was more a creative decision made by CDPR, Ciri in the books is described as having ashen hair. Essentially a mix between Gerald and Yennefer.

Oct 26, 2017
UK

When you're looking for specific people and begin alienating that is when eyebrows are raised.

And you don't think they can find a competent non white actor?

Seems you're the only one in this thread with an agenda.

Deleted member 21380

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Apart from Ciri, and this whole discussion, because fuck me, who cares what skin color she has in the series except some racist trash, couldn't they get at least a polish actor for Geralt?

There's great polish actors out there, they should get a chance to get a world wide audience, especially during the hard times Poland faces nowadays with their protofascist PIS party.

But I guess US people will be happy to americanize yet another part of european culture. MURICA fuck yeah or something.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017

His vision is relevant when it is his work that is being adapted.

What you are suggesting is that people of colour cannot be competent actors, or perform their jobs adequately. Hence your "concern".

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

You really are gonna die on this idiotic hill aren't you. Why do I get the feeling that if they excluded minorities and asked for white actresses you wouldn't be in the thread.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA

Do not agree. The creator's vision is very important to the intent of the final product. I would like something authentic to the creator's vision.

So you're in favor of ignoring the creator's vision in favor of...not diversifying the cast? What?

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Apart from Ciri, and this whole discussion, because fuck me, who cares what skin color she has in the series except some racist trash, couldn't they get at least a polish actor for Geralt?

There's great polish actors out there, they should get a chance to get a world wide audience, especially during the hard times Poland faces nowadays with their protofascist PIS party.

But I guess US people will be happy to americanize yet another part of european culture. MURICA fuck yeah or something.

The actor is english, not american.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

Do you want an interesting story that these creatives want to tell or not? Because the likely reason they're looking for specific people is that it's he specific story they want to tell. The Witcher has a lot to say about race relations and now they're trying to visually portray that. Perhaps they're portraying the elves as non-white and what her to fit in with that. Perhaps there are interactions with society they wish to highlight more in her character.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they can.
But I'd prefer it be a matter of "We picked X actor because she was the best" As opposed to "We picked X actor because she was the best of the Y subset of people".
I guess you're one of those people who are against affirmative action programs too.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Maybe they can.
But I'd prefer it be a matter of "We picked X actor because she was the best" As opposed to "We picked X actor because she was the best of the Y subset of people".
Dude, do you have any idea how casting works? You don't just cast for a leading lady, saying "ANYONE ONE WHO IS FEMALE COME ON OUT TO TRY FOR THIS PART!"

No matter what part it is, there is ALWAYS a very specific type of role they're looking to cast, whether it's age, creed, height, gender, etc etc.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they can.

How exactly do you think casting works? It's always the best of Y subset of people. They can't test cast literally every actress in existence. On top of that the scrip calls for certain things all the time. Weird you're not up in arms about the age requirement that makes a subset, too. An 18 year old or a 10 year old can't get the job either.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they can.
It's great to see someone so concerned about diversity. I'm sure you were equally vocal about looking at non-white actors when casting Geralt, right?

crowphoenix

Oct 27, 2017

Wow. Now THAT is a surpring take. I don't think I've ever seen someone argue against what the author wants when trying to make a series all white.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Maybe they can.

This is complete nonsense. You have no idea how casting works.

In your twisted logic, you'd be fine with 68 year olds playing teenagers. "This Grandmother was the best one for the role of the high school sweetheart!"

Hollywood always tries to find the best of a "subset". They pick a range and that's what goes into the casting call.

Deciding to diversify a part almost always happens before casting and is done in service of the role or the makeup of the overall cast. Get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.