• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So apparently this is how the Nilfgaardian armor will look like.. It has all ready been named the "ballsack armor" by some.
Most of these things obviously will look much better after post production so hopefully it doesn't look so much like plastic in the end.

What's the deal with bad guys and bad looking armor. Always thought the Lannister soldiers on Game of Thrones looked pretty goofy with their masks.

OP
OP
EatChildren

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
My issue with the armour isn't it looking like plastic, because most props are, but that the design itself is total fucking what. I can't tell if it's something that'll be heavily edited in post production or if the angle they've decided to go with is shlocky fantasy shit instead of at least some grounding in reality. You know, something like "Nilfgaard are the bad guys so let's give them weird evil wrinkle armour that serves no practical function at all but makes them look like weird badguys".

Nephicide

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
So apparently this is how the Nilfgaardian armor will look like.. It has all ready been named the "ballsack armor" by some.
Most of these things obviously will look much better after post production so hopefully it doesn't look so much like plastic in the end.

K70g5x9.gif

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Well that looks fucking ridiculous. It looks like bloody plastic.
Can you believe Disney thinks this is an acceptable level of quality for the ironman suit. Looks like bloody plastic.
maxresdefault.jpg

Don't even get me started on how unimpressive Titan looks:
entertainment-marvel-movies-cgi2.jpg

It's almost like behind the scenes tends to look totally unconvincing because it's not real.....NAHHHHHHH

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My issue with the armour isn't it looking like plastic, because most props are, but that the design itself is total fucking what. I can't tell if it's something that'll be heavily edited in post production or if the angle they've decided to go with is shlocky fantasy shit instead of at least some grounding in reality. You know, something like "Nilfgaard are the bad guys so let's give them weird evil wrinkle armour that serves no practical function at all but makes them look like weird badguys".

Platemail might just be too generic in appearance or maybe, yeah, there's an actual reason for the unusual design - like perhaps the metal is silver to protect against monsters.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
If your response to pointing out a lack of women in positions of power is to effectively reference power levels you're definitely not getting it.
What do you mean by lack of women in positions of power? There are plenty of examples of high ranking and politically powerful female characters in the Witcher series.

Queen Meve of Lyria, Queen Calanthe the Lioness of Cintra, Phillippa Eilhart, Yennefer, Francesca Findabair, Triss Merigold, Tissaia De Vries, and Ciri. And that just off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
And I thought Henry Cavill as Geraldo would be the only bad part about this Netflix series. Oh well, Im willing to accept the bad armor as long as the leading role gets recast with a more convincing actor.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
What in the flying fuck....that armor looks so cheap and doesn't even make any logical sense at all for looking that way? Literally looks like smushed up plastic, neither a practical design for armor nor visually appealing in any way.

Also for those saying "wait for editing," no amount of editing will change that outside of CGI'ing over the entire armor, which they don't normally do outside of like a superhero suit or something magical over it, and then if they DO do that the clothing they have the actor wear looks more like a mo-cap style suit so they can track the movements, etc to place the CGI over, it wouldn't look like that.
IE:
PndD8.gif

twitter_cant_handle_dan_stevens_cgi_suit_while_filming_beauty_and_the_beast_1.jpg

Why not just have actual practical armor that looks like...well armor?
WgZbz3s.jpg

Bam, practical and cool looking armor, nothing super weird about it and it looks visually appealing and unique to Nilfgaard.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can you believe Disney thinks this is an acceptable level of quality for the ironman suit. Looks like bloody plastic.
maxresdefault.jpg

It's almost like behind the scenes tends to look totally unconvincing because it's not real.....NAHHHHHHH

Comparing TV shows to the biggest blockbusters is stupid. When the Inhumans set pics leaked and the costumes and wigs looked terrible, people did the same thing. Guess what, the final product still looked like ass. Same thing with the Titans costumes. With TV series what you see behind the scenes is more or less what you get.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Comparing this to a Marvel movie's effects for an entire setting/planet, or for the series' lead character's entire body (Tony Stark) replacement, seems a little misguided.

You think this Netflix production is going to throw Iron Man $$$ at a bunch of disposable Nilfgaard soldiers?

This is worrying. Then again, maybe this is from some crazy phantom Nilgaard dead soldier rotting flashback dream I don't know.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Comparing TV shows to the biggest blockbusters is stupid. When the Inhumans set pics leaked and the costumes and wigs looked terrible, people did the same thing. Guess what, the final product still looked like ass. Same thing with the Titans costumes. With TV series what you see behind the scenes is more or less what you get.
The point is that there is no production in this world that won't look like ass in out of context behind the set photos/videos. Inhumans isn't a netflix show, and neither is Titans. The Witcher is a netflix production, aka one of those outlets that produce some of the prettiest shows in any given year. The metric for what we should expect a netflix show to look like is other netflix shows.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
The ironman comparison is also stupid because even non cgi'd up, the design is awesome, and I'm meh on marvel so no "fanboy" here. What do you with that....thing in that screenshot? Design is design

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Making Necromongers look good with that armor

I didn't let the wig shake me, one shot in pre-production is whatever, but shit like this has my optimism rapidly eroding.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
It looks a bit silly, but I'll wait for official footage.

maxresdefault.jpg

Are you seriously comparing a Netflix show to a blockbuster movie with a budget in the hundreds of millions?

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Ya, I think people defending it with comments like "the finished product always looks better" are missing the point here. Editing and post-production can definitely go a long way toward improving the appearance of materials and obscuring a low level of detail in terms of build quality, but they're not going to change the fundamental design of the suit. These motherfuckers look like a Rita Repulsa hype squad.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Are you seriously comparing a Netflix show to a blockbuster movie with a budget in the hundreds of millions?
I'm pointing out the silliness of using out of context behind the scenes set videos as an indication of what a show will look like. Especially when it's coming from one of the places that frequently matches the top tier standard for television quality.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Tony Stark is one and his suit could never be produced practically as it's literally techno-magic. We're talking about possibly dozens upon dozens of Nilfgaardian footsoldiers in armor that there going to what? CGI every last one of them? That would be ridiculously expensive.

GoT had a small budget starting out and yet the armors they produced were all practical without any need for CGI touch-ups, what the hell is Netflix doing here?

In comparison:

sub-buzz-17284-1502133366-3.png

ks0Sf.jpg

Last edited:

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Uffff... those "armors" look really bad from these photos and videos - and those helmets, oh god... too much "high fantasy", alien like (Sci-fi) when in the books and games armies have pretty realistic armors based on armors which were used by countries in Medieval Europe..

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Tony Stark is one and his suit could never be produced practically as it's literally techno-magic. We're talking about possibly dozens upon dozens of Nilfgaardian footsoldiers in armor that there going to what? CGI every last one of them? That would be ridiculously expensive.

GoT had a small budget starting out and yet the armors they produced were all practical without any need for CGI touch-ups, what the hell is Netflix doing here?
zzzx-1.jpg

As I said, different conditions go a LONG way. We don't know how it's gonna be portrayed. What we do know, is something I keep reiterating. This isn't gonna look like the games.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
As I said, different conditions go a LONG way. We don't know how it's gonna be portrayed. What we do know, is something I keep reiterating. This isn't gonna look like the games.

I don't care if it looks like the games, all I'm saying is that Nilfgaardian armor looks like garbo even for a BTS before post-production touch up kind of deal. And, that picture is completely obscured by the night such that we have no idea if that armor is good either. I'm hoping it all looks good, but that armor does not give me high confidence especially after the super crappy wig they used to show off Geralt.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I don't care if it looks like the games, all I'm saying is that Nilfgaardian armor looks like garbo even for a BTS before post-production touch up kind of deal. And, that picture is completely obscured by the night such that we have no idea if that armor is good either. I'm hoping it all looks good, but that armor does not give me high confidence especially after the super crappy wig they used to show off Geralt.
I mean if the purpose is for night shots like the above it certainly gives a good silhouette. It's not gonna look like plastic armor in the show.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
It's just armor though, let's hope they get the writing and the characters right. It's clear they wanted to portray the Nilfgaardians like they are evil and went with that armor look but still, it's a fairly minor thing all things considered.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Film productions use incredible amount of fakery, but in the end it can look very convincing on screen with proper lightning, post processing and audio.

I will wait to judge final product.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
maxresdefault.jpg

Except the Iron Man armor looks great in the behind the scenes pic.

Not sure how the green screen is relevant. They aren't going to CGI the armor.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I was expecting something like this for Nilfgaard's armor
(Drawing from the Czech version of Witcher books)
366_11_b.jpg

I still believe that the main characters in the show are going to have atleast ok armors or clothes
Hoping that Cahir is going to look similiar to these depictions of him:

56ba56298f744.jpg

v891xNW_d.jpg

latest

And please, those people who say to people critizising something from the show"this is based on books, not games and just because something doesn't look like from the games in the show, that's your problem", really please, no one is talking about the games or that the show needs to look like the games.. I have read all the books, played all the games but nowhere in the books it is mentioned that the Nilfgaardian armor looks that way what we have seen so far from the show.. I mean, plate armor for every soldier is very, very expensive and I didn't expected to see them on every soldier, doesn't matter which army - and even in TW3 most Nilfgaardian soldiers don't have plate armor - but what the hell are those armors on those videos and photos from this week? Wild Hunt with wild armors? Of course, but Nilfgaard is a country similiar to late Roman Empire and Bismarck's Germany (+slavery), but not Hitler's Germany or some alien invaders..

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Idk, even with others saying this isn't really a big deal, still, that doesn't look good to me at all.
That armour looks ridiculous for Nilfgaard, I'll reserve judgement till we see a trailer or official promo images though.

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

That looks awful.

This + the Geralt reveal makes it seem like the show is gonna be, at least aesthetically, real shitty.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

This deal keeps getting worse all the time

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

In comparison:

sub-buzz-17284-1502133366-3.png

ks0Sf.jpg
Seriously, lol.

Come the hell on, those costumes will look just as shitty in the TV show.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I lost hope in this when I found out the show runners were involved in The Defenders

Yeah, though D&D's track record hasn't exactly been stellar either yet they managed to adapt the books pretty well (until they decided to stray from them/ran out of material) so as long as they stick to the witcher books, it should be fine.........i guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.