• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
my problem with the Nilfgaardian soldiers is that they are cartoonishly evil looking, and no amount of production value is gonna fix that

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
my problem with the Nilfgaardian soldiers is that they are cartoonishly evil looking, and no amount of production value is gonna fix that
No, you see, they're going to completely CGI it over without any markers and they're also going to completely change the aesthetic. They made dozens of suits just for shits and giggles.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can you believe Disney thinks this is an acceptable level of quality for the ironman suit. Looks like bloody plastic.
maxresdefault.jpg

Don't even get me started on how unimpressive Titan looks:
entertainment-marvel-movies-cgi2.jpg

It's almost like behind the scenes tends to look totally unconvincing because it's not real.....NAHHHHHHH
They're not about to cover every soldier in CGI. Sure, the material will look better with the right lightning etc. but the design is simply ass (or scrotum, I guess)

rjAWLC1.jpg

Last edited:

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know they don't want to/don't care about imitating the games but you just can't come up with stuff that looks worse than what has already been done in other visual media and expect fans to eat it up.

Oct 25, 2017
Costume designer 1: "So, what are we thinking for the Nilfgaardian armor design, plate armor?"

Costume Designer 2: "Nope."

CD1: "Leather?"

CD2: "Nuh-uh."

CD1: "Chain mail?"

CD2: "Boring."

CD1: "Wait, I got it: hefty bag."

CD2: "Perfect."

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Why do people insist on getting worked up about anything relating to this show before any part of it has actually come out?

This type of fandom isn't healthy nor is it practical. Let them finish filming and making the thing. Then if it sucks? Fire away. But screaming bloody murder based on a screenshot or two does the screamer no good (since it's not like the producers are going to change anything at this point) and doesn't provide anything remotely positive for the project either.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It almost looks like their 3D printer broke and they didn't have any time left to make new ones.

Oct 25, 2017
giysrc6czb031.jpg

Look at the Temerian(?) armour in comparison.
Talk of budget is nonsense here, the design choice for Nilfgaard is just ridiculous.
I hope it's just for a specific set a soldiers, not the entire army. If Cahir came out looking like those fools, whew, I cannot deal.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people insist on getting worked up about anything relating to this show before any part of it has actually come out?

This type of fandom isn't healthy nor is it practical. Let them finish filming and making the thing. Then if it sucks? Fire away. But screaming bloody murder based on a screenshot or two does the screamer no good (since it's not like the producers are going to change anything at this point) and doesn't provide anything remotely positive for the project either.
Worked up? Not heathy? Bloody murder? Screamer? Bro, people just said it looks bad. You're getting way more worked up by this than anyone else is.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
giysrc6czb031.jpg

Look at the Temerian(?) armour in comparison.
Talk of budget is nonsense here, the design choice for Nilfgaard is just ridiculous.
I hope it's just for a specific set a soldiers, not the entire army. If Cahir came out looking like those fools, whew, I cannot deal.
They CGIed those costumes, it's the only possible reason why behind the scenes photos could look good.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
That's such a weird design for armour. Interested to see what else they have in store.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Closer inspection it does look like garbage, no pun.

My bigger concern is the script undergoing 9 rewrites or something.

Twingsy

Oct 27, 2017
Moon
WgZbz3s.jpg

Bam, practical and cool looking armor, nothing super weird about it and it looks visually appealing and unique to Nilfgaard.

What's their description in the book? This is based on the source material, after all, not the games.

And yeah, I wouldn't be too judgemental on the current behind the scenes designs. Film costumes tend to look silly on their own.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
What's their description in the book? This is based on the source material, after all, not the games.

And yeah, I wouldn't be too judgemental on the current behind the scenes designs. Film costumes tend to look silly on their own.

By descriptions in the books, Nilfgaards soldiers wear armor reminiscent of certain parts of the military of the Holy Roman Empire, mainly royal armor
For example :
Q9QgFdF.jpg

Holy-Roman-Armour-Emperor-Charles-V-Medieval-Armour.png

W+Peter+Paul+Rubens+-+Kaiser+Maximilian+I.jpg

Tya

Oct 30, 2017

We also don't know what kind of scenes this armor would be used for. For all we know, it is just for extras far enough in the background that people will only get a vague sense of what they are wearing. That also assumes this is even real since it is just posted on a random youtube account.

The overreactions to everything related to this series has been hilarious.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
These could be background soldiers, wearing cheap costumes because they're never meant to be seen up close.

i.e. wait for the fucking show.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Armor looks bad, series please pull up

Tony Stark is one and his suit could never be produced practically as it's literally techno-magic. We're talking about possibly dozens upon dozens of Nilfgaardian footsoldiers in armor that there going to what? CGI every last one of them? That would be ridiculously expensive.

GoT had a small budget starting out and yet the armors they produced were all practical without any need for CGI touch-ups, what the hell is Netflix doing here?

In comparison:

sub-buzz-17284-1502133366-3.png

ks0Sf.jpg

The Lannister and Kingsguard are some of the best armors on the show though, to be fair

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

Roman Empire/Germanic late middle ages style.

Also while it's true that some costumes can look silly out of context behind the scenes without the proper lighting, etc or it's things meant to have CGI added (like the case of many super hero movies and the weird costumes you see them in used for tracking, etc). The armor in most movies/tv shows tends to look like...well armor, that's not something you are going to magically "change" in editing really, the actual design/look is going to be the same unless it's cgi'd over (and these aren't since they aren't wearing any trackers or anything).

I mean:

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
I think most people are going to be disappointed that the show ends up being more like the books and less like the games. Since that's what everyone will be comparing to.

Idk, I'm keeping my expectations incredibly low for this. Nothing I've seen from the casting to onset photos has inspired much confidence. I'll gladly eat crow if I'm proven wrong of course.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if the purpose is for night shots like the above it certainly gives a good silhouette. It's not gonna look like plastic armor in the show.
Excuse me? These soldiers have the silhouette of a marshmallow man with an acorn for a head. That's the worst part!
This design can read better, but that's going to be in partial shots focused on the weird "spooky tree monster" details.

By descriptions in the books, Nilfgaards soldiers wear armor reminiscent of certain parts of the military of the Holy Roman Empire, mainly royal armor
For example :
Q9QgFdF.jpg

Holy-Roman-Armour-Emperor-Charles-V-Medieval-Armour.png

W+Peter+Paul+Rubens+-+Kaiser+Maximilian+I.jpg
When is that described? I don't remember Sapkowski writing such detailed costume descriptions unless there were nipples involved.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I always imagined Russel Crowe as some intense guy, he is actually hilarious and goofy ah ah ah.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Excuse me? These soldiers have the silhouette of a marshmallow man with an acorn for a head. That's the worst part!
This design can read better, but that's going to be in partial shots focused on the weird "spooky tree monster" details.
Remains to be seen.

When is that described? I don't remember Sapkowski writing such detailed costume descriptions unless there were nipples involved.
That reminds me, it's a good thing lots of women are involved in the writing room. Because....oof. >_>

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017

Cause it's the internet and people get bent out of shape for ANYTHING. The one area where Netflix shines is product values. If they believe in a show, they dont skimp on throwing money into it. Lost in Space remake is gorgeous visually.

This is one area I'm not at all concerned regarding this show. I just hope the writing stacks up.

Twingsy

Oct 27, 2017
Moon
Roman Empire/Germanic late middle ages style.

Also while it's true that some costumes can look silly out of context behind the scenes without the proper lighting, etc or it's things meant to have CGI added (like the case of many super hero movies and the weird costumes you see them in used for tracking, etc). The armor in most movies/tv shows tends to look like...well armor, that's not something you are going to magically "change" in editing really, the actual design/look is going to be the same unless it's cgi'd over (and these aren't since they aren't wearing any trackers or anything).

I mean:

Oh? So it's completely different from how they were imagined in the book. Doesn't give me a lot of faith. I'm not a fan of the armour design either, honestly, but it looks like they're going to a more high-fantasy type look, rather than low-fantasy.

Wiithin the show's visual design, it might look fine though and jive well, though. That's why I'm thinking it'd be better waiting for the trailer before writing it off. At least assuming they know what they're doing.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Oh? So it's completely different from how they were imagined in the book. Doesn't give me a lot of faith. I'm not a fan of the armour design either, honestly, but it looks like they're going to a more high-fantasy type look, rather than low-fantasy.
It's not that it's different, it's more that it's filling in details that were never there. As far as I can remember, the author only really describes it as black armor, sometimes worn under a black coat or cloak. Sapkowski isn't exactly known for his detailed descriptions.
This setting is a frequently silly place, so I don't think it necessarily needs to look like realistic middle ages, I just don't know where they got the idea to turn this particular army into tree people.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Cavill just got the role because he convinced the casting director that he has read all the books and played Witcher 3 on PC. Not many actors who can say that so he pretty much was guaranteed the role. He's also probably telling the producer to change some lines during production because he just feels like such an expert, hence the rewrites. #notmygeraldo

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Total miscast IMHO but I'm on wait and see. Geralt is actually a stiff and doesn't emote, so the casting may work out!
He's supposed to be playing the book Geralt here. That dude is a highly emotional depressive drama queen. He's the sweetest lovable oaf with a superhuman ability to convince himself that everyone hates him and I have no idea how they can hope that Cavill could pull it off.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Cause it's the internet and people get bent out of shape for ANYTHING. The one area where Netflix shines is product values. If they believe in a show, they dont skimp on throwing money into it. Lost in Space remake is gorgeous visually.

This is one area I'm not at all concerned regarding this show. I just hope the writing stacks up.
Yeah, Lost in Space was freaking gorgeous.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cavill is solid. He has more range than most people think. It's a shame he's basically a frat boy and had to be Snyder's Superman.

Otherwise, I don't think people would be so down. The writing is going to be critical here,.

Status
Not open for further replies.