• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder what kind of voice will Geralt have? Rough and sandpaper quality like in the games?
The original Polish voice in the games doesn't sound raspy at all.

EDIT: Not being picky or hipster-ish bringing up the Polish VO, it was by far the best way to experience the first two games, possibly 3. The English voice acting only got as decent by the third game.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
The original Polish voice in the games doesn't sound raspy at all.

EDIT: Not being picky or hipster-ish bringing up the Polish VO, it was by far the best way to experience the first two games, possibly 3. The English voice acting only got as decent by the third game.
You're being a little bit hipsterish. Polish Geralt was always better, but everyone else was much worse in the first two games. Even actors who went on to deliver superior performances in the full cast audiobooks were badly miscast in the video games.
They've improved a lot by Wild Hunt and that one definitely sounds better in Polish.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Captain Flint would be a better match (not with his natural ginger hair color, obviously) IMO.

Yeah that wod have been an interesting choice as well.

Also I'm very disappointed with Yennefer, dont nderstand the people liking her choice. She looks like a young 20 year old. Yennefer should look more older than that, early 30s.

Deleted member 8136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that wod have been an interesting choice as well.

Also I'm very disappointed with Yennefer, dont nderstand the people liking her choice. She looks like a young 20 year old. Yennefer should look more older than that, early 30s.

Look, we all know Yen is 90+. As long as the actress can can convey being a very old person in a (vain) young body, we should be fine.
And as long as we haven't really seen her act, she gets the benefit of doubt from me.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So since this is based on the book, what accent with Geralt have? In the English dub of the games, which obviously is different, Geralt's actor just did their natural American accent to make him standout more, seem more alien or something like that.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there going to be a Witcher panel at comicon? If so do we know what time?

War Peaceman

Oct 28, 2017
Look, we all know Yen is 90+. As long as the actress can can convey being a very old person in a (vain) young body, we should be fine.
And as long as we haven't really seen her act, she gets the benefit of doubt from me.

The promising thing is we know that they cast Chalotra despite her being younger than the brief, so her performance must have been strong (or the alternatives diabolical)

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
How did The Witcher first get on your radar? Were you familiar with it before or did you do a crash course after being approached?
A little of both. I read The Last Wish and really loved it. But I never would have called myself a fantasy writer before this. I've done some comic book shows, I've done a lot of drama. So when I read the book I loved it but never thought I should adapt it personally. When Netflix reached out I read the short stories again and started thinking about what could I bring to this. These three characters — Geralt, Yennefer, and Ciri — really rose to the surface. If you take all the other fantasy elements away, you take the magic and story and violence and sex away, you still have three characters who are this broken disjointed family who really need each other even though they don't want to admit it. And that was one of the most appealing things to me.

[...]

Is there an outright villain? Or is that a secretive aspect?
It's not a secretive aspect. There isn't really a villain. One of the things we're enjoying exploring is all the shades of grey in the books. The characters you're rooting for in the beginning may not be the characters you're rooting for in the end. And characters you hate and seem absolutely evil are motivated by something that's really relatable and human and emotional. I found writing it and then watching it afterward that your allegiance switches a lot. You constantly try to put yourself in the shoes of characters and think what would you do [in a situation]. I think you'll end up having a lot of empathy for characters you didn't expect to.

[...]

What does Witcher bring that's unique to the fantasy space?
The monster and horror aspect. It's been done occasionally on fantasy shows but it takes a backseat to magic a lot of the time. Geralt's a monster hunter so from the very beginning we talked about how to show these monsters and the humans they interact with. I think people are going to be surprised by how many monsters we were able to do and how integral they are to story. It really feels like the monster stories become analogs for bigger things happening in the world right now in different political phenomenons.

this, I like this.

Oct 26, 2017
lol, it's like there is only Witcher 3, Geralt didn't even have a beard in the first two games.
Although his alleged aversion against a beard is insanely overblown by some.
It is a single point in the books where the beard was a constant reminder that Geralt was stuck and powerless. Shaving it off had a cathartic quality and signified to him that he was finally getting out of this place.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
The showrunner's descriptions of the series are rather odd. The series does have its villains and the recurring ones aren't the kind of people you'd ever find yourself rooting for. The focus on monsters is also strange as it might set expectations that will require some serious rewrites for subsequent seasons when the show would become The Ex-Witcher.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
The showrunner's descriptions of the series are rather odd. The series does have its villains and the recurring ones aren't the kind of people you'd ever find yourself rooting for. The focus on monsters is also strange as it might set expectations that will require some serious rewrites for subsequent seasons when the show would become The Ex-Witcher.

yeah, but I think considering we're mostly focusing on the short stories (for now, at least), I don't think there's any outright villain in those

though maybe that sorcerer guy in "The Lesser Evil" comes close IIRC

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Keep in mind the first season is the short stories. There's no dedicated villain at this point and mostly monster of the episode for Geralt's side of things. I do think structurally there's gonna be some changes to later seasons though. But they do have some stories they skipped over that they could still insert back in later if they want other monster based tales.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the showrunners means to say is, there is no clear cut good guys and bad guys. Sort of like Jaime Lannister, who is complete bad guy in season 1. By end of GoT he is one of the heroes.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
You're being a little bit hipsterish. Polish Geralt was always better, but everyone else was much worse in the first two games. Even actors who went on to deliver superior performances in the full cast audiobooks were badly miscast in the video games.
They've improved a lot by Wild Hunt and that one definitely sounds better in Polish.

Man I'd have to replay Witcher 3 in Polish now.

I'm somewhat rusty but I'm curious now.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, but I think considering we're mostly focusing on the short stories (for now, at least), I don't think there's any outright villain in those

though maybe that sorcerer guy in "The Lesser Evil" comes close IIRC
That would make sense, but we do know that Vilgefortz (god, I hope this doesn't become an actual spoiler) appears in the first season and I'm SO not interested in seeing anyone try to humanize that piece of shit.

Keep in mind the first season is the short stories. There's no dedicated villain at this point and mostly monster of the episode for Geralt's side of things.
I get that, but if they try to sell this as "the show with all the monsters and horror," that's likely going to shape what future seasons are going to look like.
Could a show like that really shift gears to become a slice of life road trip series? That would be rad, it just seems rather unlikely.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Could a show like that really shift gears to become a slice of life road trip series? That would be rad, it just seems rather unlikely.
Yeah, there's a huge disconnect between the starting material and the later material that's gonna need some fixing. They worked on it in one direction adding Yennefer and Ciri's stories outside of Geralt to the first season, and I imagine they'll go the other direction adding more monsters to the road ahead. I've also wondered given the focus of the 3 of them in the marketing blurbs and even the logo if they'd really keep them all apart from each other for 3 seasons. Yennefer doesn't really even do a lot for a few books.

But that's kinda where my interests lie. I'm not so much looking for a faithful adaptation. I'm more interested in how they pick out these pieces, and add some new ones, and somehow rearrange them into a TV show that flows. But I'm probably very much in the minority in that way when it comes to people familiar with the books.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I'll say it now well in advance, so I get to gloat when the show airs and I was right. Chalotra (Yennefer) will be superb and the highlight of the show.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
I think she just looks weird next to Ciri and Geralt, as in, she looks weirdly young to be Geralt's partner and too young to be Ciri's "mother"

That would make sense, but we do know that Vilgefortz (god, I hope this doesn't become an actual spoiler) appears in the first season and I'm SO not interested in seeing anyone try to humanize that piece of shit.
He's pretty charming, though

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
What does Witcher bring that's unique to the fantasy space?
[...] I think people are going to be surprised by how many monsters we were able to do and how integral they are to story. It really feels like the monster stories become analogs for bigger things happening in the world right now in different political phenomenons.
hey lookit it's a TV person casually dropping the p-word in an interview about their project meanwhile games industry people are terrified to utter it

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
New Geralt pic?

D_2jFetWwAEAR3O

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
They're yellow but zooming in the pupil still looks pretty round. But I also remember someone mentioning that it only becomes cat like in the dark (even if that's actually backwards of how cat eyes work)
Nah, his eyes work as they should. One of the short stories mentions the ability to constrict his pupils into tiny slits so he wouldn't have to shield his eyes from the sun.

Last edited:

a916

Oct 25, 2017
This and the Mandalorian are my most hyped shows this year... new shows at least.

With a trailer and all the hype on IG, I'm guessing this drops soonish on Netflix?

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not kidding, I'm a little excited for this show.
But I gotta say, I'm sad that it's Netflix that's doing it. I REALLY feel that the show will get hurt by the "all episodes at the same time" thing Netflix always does. A weekly show, going for like 2-3 months would really help discussion and fanbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.