• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
A few days ago Netflix launched the highly anticipated show adaptation of The Witcher books by Andrzej Sapkowski, and it seems that has inspired many gamers to look back and revisit The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

The game hit 48K concurrent players on Steam, a high it has not seen since Summer 2016 when developer CD PROJEKT RED launched the game's final DLC, Blood and Wine, and the game was one of that Steam summer sale's top sellers.

It's not just PC gamers that are excited about The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt again - the game also saw a slight uptick in popularity on XBOX and PlayStation. Notably, this uptick was mostly on the original versions of the game rather than the GOTY and Complete versions that released later. On PC all players are reported under the one main version, so this distinction cannot be seen there.

An estimated 1 million players have played The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt in December, a number that would be outstanding for any new game or a game that is still receiving updates. This is several hundreds of thousands above what the game has had at any point in the past two years. Most of this is on PC, which is fitting considering TV Geralt himself, Henry Cavill, has recently stated he prefers PC too.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its really making me want to finish blood and wine any day now. I don't remember what got in my way back then and made me stop

Xevren

Oct 25, 2017
I downloaded it again so I'm there too. Never played the dlc so was going to finally go through with it.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
48k people restarting to pick best girl Yen now that they know the truth.

Vandal Deca

Oct 21, 2018
Count me among them. Reinstalled from Steam today to give it another go. Never bought the expansions, so might look at that too.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played through it on PS4 on release but Ive just bought the game of the year addition on pc today. The £10 price tag helped slit but yeah I'm going to play through it all again.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
I'm certainly one of them.
Still gotta finish the main story (just did Umauma... Probs got a lot left hahahaha) but I'm playing to get to Blood & Wine as I hear that's just amazing.

It's just such a big, amazing game and I do too many side quests hahaha

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
It's making me wanna buy the Switch version, since I've already played it and finished it on PS4, so yeah lol.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I never realized how similar this world was to Shrek until episode 2, then it just clicked

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Been thinking of playing the Switch version with all the DLC in handheld mode. I know it has some issues, but I prefer handheld games when possible.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I reinstalled it after watching and have been playing again the last couple days haha.

Oh, and I also bought the expansions finally too haha.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
The first two games have seen relatively significant bumps, too:

chart_1y_tw1krk1h.png

chart_1y_tw2e7koq.png

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Also I love how episode 3 is literally a video game side quest with Witcher senses and all. It made me want to play the game again.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
I just reinstalled the 1st game, finished 2 and 3, but never the 1st, so going to go through them all.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
really loving the show and I never particularly cared for the games too much

I'm like "sigh... time to re install witcher 3 for the fifth or sixth time or whatever"

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Hah, brIlliant. On ep.4 of the series and superman makes for a shockingly good Geralt. His way of speaking mirrors the game to a T.

Got the game once again on PS4 and this time will complete it. The writing is excellent and it makes up for the 2015 gfx, although the atmosphere is moody and very well done.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
hopefully most will play on xbox/ps4/PC, it deserves to be seen/played in its full glory imo

Pyke Presco

Dec 3, 2017
Just finished it for the first time earlier today (Switch version); I played the pc version but got burned out around kaer morhen. Been working my way through it for the last three months while watching tv or commuting.

Finished hearts of stone during the play through, and now just started up blood and wine after the credits rolled. Binged the whole series over the last two days too. Great time for Witcher fans

Oct 3, 2019
I didn't care for the show, but I'm glad it's leading people back to one of the best games ever. Even after four years and two full playthroughs later I'm still impressed by how much I enjoyed it, especially as someone who had zero interest in the Witcher beforehand.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Considering picking up the Switch version for a new playthrough on the go but I am off for the next week or so. So maybe after the new year.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first two episodes and then definitely looked at my copy of Witcher 3 for PS4 haha. I never did finish it

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like it did my girl Triss a disservice, but I still enjoyed it a lot. I was glued to my screen lol what a great adaptation and excellent performance by Cavill!

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've felt the pangs too which is a testament to how good the show is. Wild Hunt is on sale for £7.39 on PSN. So tempted to jump back in for another Death March playthrough.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
The show was damn good.

Anyone who doubted your boy Superman or complained about their pick for Yennefer needs to eat that crow and toss a coin to your witcher.

And yeah, my wife is ordering the books right now, as she wants nothing to do with my kindle. I think she's contemplating even playing the first game which is brave.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
I'M PART OF THE PROBLEM! A couple weeks ago I found myself without a new game to play and decided not to buy any this close to the holidays. So I started a third playthrough of Wild Hunt.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I reinstalled W3 but it's hard to jump back in after so long. I forgot everything.....

Deleted member 62100

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 12, 2019
I just watched the show but I can't. I was completely bored with TW3 around the time
You have to collect all the people to defend Ciri or something at the Witcher castle
. I just didn't care about the story, writing, or gameplay. I wanted to like it though. And this was also around when I discovered Dark Souls and how much I greatly preferred the combat and world.