• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
After finishing season 1 I have to say that I did not really care much for anything that wasn't Geralt. The timeline stuff also wasn't that great and it didn't help with the already disjointed short stories (like Geralt suddenly fishing for a Djinn). Also a bit disappointed that they skipped the "A Grain of truth" short story

The final battle was nice even if the whole situation felt rather sudden. Overall season 2 should be better with the more straightfoward timeline and I think book Yennefer mostly shines in her interactions with Ciri so I'm looking forward to that.

Also one thing I noticed
I guess they really nerfed Vilgefortz? I remember him absolutely demolishing Geralt in close combat but here he loses to Cahir

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lauren has said they may still find ways to adapt the stories they skipped into season 2. They'd probably have to be tweaked to fit the timeframe they're getting into, of course.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really miss "The Grain of Truth"- it's probably the worst of the short stories IMO. Which is by no means bad at all. But it's kind of just a meat and potatoes Witcher 101 story. Not really worth coming back to.

I wouldn't mind seeing "Eternal Flame" and "A Little Sacrifice" adapted.

I do fully expect they will do "A Shard of Ice" somehow or another.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
I didn't really miss "The Grain of Truth"- it's probably the worst of the short stories IMO. Which is by no means bad at all. But it's kind of just a meat and potatoes Witcher 101 story. Not really worth coming back to.

I wouldn't mind seeing "Eternal Flame" and "A Little Sacrifice" adapted.

I do fully expect they will do "A Shard of Ice" somehow or another.

Are you kidding me? "The Grain of Truth" would have been an EXCELLENT story to see, especially with that ending!

"Eternal Flame" was boring and silly, IMO. I don't care much for misadventure.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Are you kidding me? "The Grain of Truth" would have been an EXCELLENT story to see, especially with that ending!

"Eternal Flame" was boring and silly, IMO. I don't care much for misadventure.
I like Eternal Flame because it feels different from the other stories- the focus on economics, city bound adventure, dopplers, etc. Plus lots of Dandelion which is always a plus. I think Geralt is at his best when he's playing off other characters.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Lauren has said they may still find ways to adapt the stories they skipped into season 2. They'd probably have to be tweaked to fit the timeframe they're getting into, of course.

Aren't the scripts for Season 2 already done? They probably don't have a lot of room to change/add stuff unless Netflix gives them more money for additional episodes or something.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished it. I very much enjoyed how it ended, but, my imagination of Sodden was far grander than the show's budget could portray.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. I very much enjoyed how it ended, but, my imagination of Sodden was far grander than the show's budget could portray.

My imagination of it was simultaneously bigger and also kind of boring. I envisioned like the Siege of Pale from Malazan Book of the Following- a bunch of magicians standing on a hill putting on a huge fireworks show.

I really liked the show version. The different phases of the battle were done very well and, each mage had a specific role, and the geography was clearly laid out for the viewer.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Also one thing I noticed
I guess they really nerfed Vilgefortz? I remember him absolutely demolishing Geralt in close combat but here he loses to Cahir
The speculation from pages back was that he was throwing the battle. If that's true I think it was rather poorly done.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just started, god damn Henry has so much screen presence (good), but he looks too good and is alot younger then the Geralt I expected (based on the games).

Jul 24, 2018
Given that they know at least a portion of the fanbase wants him to have a cap, I wouldn't be surprised if we got at least a throwaway moment where Jaskier appears in his hat, trying a new look, and Geralt immediately calls him out on how stupid he looks.
JJzy.gif

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I like Eternal Flame because it feels different from the other stories- the focus on economics, city bound adventure, dopplers, etc. Plus lots of Dandelion which is always a plus. I think Geralt is at his best when he's playing off other characters.
It could also give us a chance to hear Henry Cavill complain about how ugly he is. There's still time to introduce a laugh track.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Finished the season with my girlfriend. Overall I enjoyed it but the pacing is pretty bad, they really needed a few more episodes to smooth over things. The pacing hurt Yennifer's story arc the most. The setup for the final scene of the season was stupid as fuck.
Ciri wakes up and runs out into the woods for no goddamn reason, shortly before Geralt arrives at the farm just so he can do the same and meet her. Maybe I missed a detail and need to rewatch that part.

Also, even though they got a woman as the showrunner Yennefer's story and character has some glaring problems. https://www.themarysue.com/we-need-...ers-yennefer-magic-disability-and-motherhood/

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018
Man this show got weird.
Why did I watch two people having sex in front of a crowd and then the crowd clapped when the dude nutted!?

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I love this piano rendition of "Toss a Coin". This song's been stuck in my head ever since I finished watching the show. I think I might rewatch it again this weekend honestly.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm halfway through the season and it progressively gets better. I think it was pretty daring of Netflix to have this show just throw Witcher mythology at the viewer instead of spoon-feeding the information or elongated exposition dumps. I only read the first novel and played the games so I am at least familiar with the main characters and some of the locales but man there is a lot of stuff that I'm sure readers appreciate.

Also, I cannot recommend the show Galavant enough to anyone who likes "Toss a Coin..." It was cancelled after 2 seasons and never got much love, but it is on Netflix and it is a medieval musical blast.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
No.

The short stories in the first two books are told in chronological order, but Yennefer and especially Ciri show up quite late. So for this season they decided to focus on them a lot as well, which makes sense considering Ciri is basically the main character after this.

However, this led to the confusing and distorted timeline.

To be fair, this show does an awful job at showing people aging. In fact, it seems they didn't care at all. If they did, I'm sure people would have caught on to the fact that Witchers age slower.

But as it is now, Calanthe and Eist didn't age a day in 12 years and Jaskier is even worse about it. He's been a 30-something for at least 20 years in the show. The book does mention Jaskier looking younger than his age, but it's definitely something that can be improved.

The showrunner actually admitted in the AMA that they dropped the ball on showing people aging, so I'd guess that when the show returns next year, Jaskier will look older.

Short stories are NOT in chronological order.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished this series last night, it was really good! Binged it over two days, with most of it the second. I've only ever played about 15-20 mins of The Witcher 2 years back, so no real experience with the series. Just from enjoying video games I knew a lot of the names (Yennafer, Ciri, Geralt, Triss) but knew nothing else about them. Really cool to see these characters. I have to say, I think Yennafer was the strongest character. She had a real arc, especially since for the first half of the show I was pretty positive she was going to be a villain. Can't wait for Season 2!

The show definitely had me wanting to pick up at the very least Witcher 3, but from reading over this thread a bit it seems like that will spoil the books/tv show for me? In that case, I may end up reading the books. Is it safe to skip the first two short story compilations since I have seen the show, or should I still read those?

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished this series last night, it was really good! Binged it over two days, with most of it the second. I've only ever played about 15-20 mins of The Witcher 2 years back, so no real experience with the series. Just from enjoying video games I knew a lot of the names (Yennafer, Ciri, Geralt, Triss) but knew nothing else about them. Really cool to see these characters. I have to say, I think Yennafer was the strongest character. She had a real arc, especially since for the first half of the show I was pretty positive she was going to be a villain. Can't wait for Season 2!

The show definitely had me wanting to pick up at the very least Witcher 3, but from reading over this thread a bit it seems like that will spoil the books/tv show for me? In that case, I may end up reading the books. Is it safe to skip the first two short story compilations since I have seen the show, or should I still read those?

You should read them. The show skipped over quite a few short stories and had to shorten others (like the brokilon forest). Some characters were also slightly changed for the show.

You won't be lost by skipping them but if you are in for the whole saga i'd read them.

GamerKingFaiz

Nov 15, 2017

This is very similar to my experience! I also binged it over two days---great series, really looking forward to the second season. I only recognized these characters from having played Gwent. 😅

I was wondering how the games' story relates to the TV series. And is it possible to just jump into the The Witcher 3?

Oct 28, 2017
This is very similar to my experience! I also binged it over two days---great series, really looking forward to the second season. I only recognized these characters from having played Gwent. 😅

I was wondering how the games' story relates to the TV series. And is it possible to just jump into the The Witcher 3?

They do a good job giving you the very basic history of the returning characters. I started with Witcher 3 and felt fine. You can read up on characters you meet in your time though.

Would starting from the beginning feel more satisfying? Of course but you wont be completely lost starting with 3.

GamerKingFaiz

Nov 15, 2017
They do a good job giving you the very basic history of the returning characters. I started with Witcher 3 and felt fine. You can read up on characters you meet in your time though.

Would starting from the beginning feel more satisfying? Of course but you wont be completely lost starting with 3.
That's good to hear. Gameplay wise, how do the first two games stack up against the third? I've heard that the 3rd game improved a lot in terms of gameplay.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

The games take place years after the books. It's possible to jump into just Witcher 3, though I'm not really sure at all what that experience is like, remotely, nor would I really recommend it. The games, especially Witcher 3, will casually spoil pretty much everything in the books (and consequently, the TV series should they stick to the books). So, if you really want to play Witcher 3, then sure you can. If you want to read the books at all, though, I would recommend grabbing those before getting into the games. They're great and it'll add a lot of enjoyment to your play through. Plus you should try out Witcher 2 if you can before 3. Witcher 1 has aged a bit more poorly so it's harder to recommend outright.

Oct 28, 2017
That's good to hear. Gameplay wise, how do the first two games stack up against the third? I've heard that the 3rd game improved a lot in terms of gameplay.

3 takes the best of the first two and takes it all to the next level. I am just about done with my replay of Witcher 3 and I skipped a lot.

Turn on auto scaling so you dont grey out quests!

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, it's what I did and one of the best games I've ever played. You'll likely google some things or ask here for background. Just started my 2nd playthrough almost 2 years after the first.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Rewatching episodes and I don't like how they made Geralt more of a vanilla good guy.

he essentially tricked people into giving their daughter to him, it wasn't an accident like in the show. Geralt is not a good guy just because he kills monsters for money

I think both the Witcher games and the TV show do the character a disservice. But on a rewatch I have to say both the actors for Yennifer and Geralt were perfectly cast. I can't imagine anyone else portraying these characters now.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Rewatching episodes and I don't like how they made Geralt more of a vanilla good guy.

he essentially tricked people into giving their daughter to him, it wasn't an accident like in the show. Geralt is not a good guy just because he kills monsters for money

I think both the Witcher games and the TV show do the character a disservice. But on a rewatch I have to say both the actors for Yennifer and Geralt were perfectly cast. I can't imagine anyone else portraying these characters now.

What was
his motive for doing so in the books?

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
The Withcers were dying. He needed someone who could make more Witchers.

Yes he was that fucked up.
Oh god. He wasn't "fucked up", he was desperate and went along with a dumb old tradition. He then declined to obey the custom specifically because he quickly realized that it would be wrong to claim ownership of somebody's child (and turning it into a baby factory was never part of the plan). He knew that destiny isn't enough and rejected that whole idea even when Calanthe warmed up to him and started giving him additional chances to change his mind, and it didn't change even when Ciri begged to go with him.
The issue here isn't that they've turned Geralt into a "good guy" because Sapkowski's Geralt was already the goodest boy. The issue is that they've turned him into a moron and twisted everything around destiny and magical laws when the original story was always about "something more".

Make or become? I thought the formulas were lost, what would a random baby be able to help with or was he hoping for a boy?
Become. He thought Pavetta had a son when he refused to take the child.