• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017

The above is less scathing then the title implies and focuses really on only one specific issue but I think it shows well some of the problems the rushed pacing brought in and how especially ep 1 fails both as an adaptation and as its own piece of media.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My biggest criticisms:
  • Yennefer's time jump sacrifices some development I rather would have seen. I think they do a decent enough job of portraying her as a disillusioned mage, but I thought it was difficult to understand how she went from being a "ready to fuck things up" mage in ep 3 to so world weary in ep 4. It also felt like the desire for a baby came out of nowhere, though the way they wrapped it into the idea of legacy in ep 7/8 was nice.
    [*]I think the time jumps work, but Ciri's storyline bogs down after episode 2. The doppler was a mildly interesting twist, but didn't amount to a whole lot, although I did like how we got to see a little inside Cahir's head when the doppler fooled him. Oh, and it gave us Mousesack with an OVERTLY EVIL "Oh princeeeeess...I brought you something" moment XD
    [*]Complex lore, relationships, concepts (like the Law of Surprise) are sometimes explained too quickly or their importance is not made clear. Either through the editing or just a lack of reinforcing dialogue. These issues are way lessened on a rewatch and a lot more forgivable for me.
    [*]Occasional poor set design and cinematography. Episode 3 has a lot of ups and downs, IMO. Much the episode looks great (Striga fight, the son's death and the miner scenes), but some of it (Foltest's throne room at times, the mage ball) is ugly.
    [*]I'm on the record as enjoying ep1 and 2 a lot more than most people, but they ARE really messy in a lot of ways. Ep 1 seemingly cuts out important parts of the story (like the the villagers would turn on Geralt so quickly after he saved the young girl)
    [*]Occasional iffy wigwork (I think ep 5 is worst Geralt hair), some super generic costumes at times (Reavers or whatever in ep 6; Nilfgaard, obviously).

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Man the soundtrack is really good. Listening to it on Spotify while reading Season of Storms.

Sony poste: some stuff on Twitter:

Last edited:

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
I think it is fair to say that something feels off about the show without having the insight to properly articulate what specifically is off. It's like if you get a bad meal at a restaurant, you probably can't properly explain why it tastes bad because you don't know the process of making it. You don't have to be a chef to know if something tastes bad. I like The Witcher but a lot of that admiration comes from the fact that I WANT to like it and I'm able to see past it's flaws.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Man the soundtrack is really good. Listening to it on Spotify while reading Season of Storms.

Sony poste: some stuff on Twitter:

Just glanced at the album on spotify and started playing it, thought I read 55 minutes, then reading this that they'd 8 hours of music, figured man they must've left so much out of the album...
Album is 55 songs, not minutes, over 3 hours on the album, teaches me to actually pay attention hehe.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Just glanced at the album on spotify and started playing it, thought I read 55 minutes, then reading this that they'd 8 hours of music, figured man they must've left so much out of the album...
Album is 55 songs, not minutes, over 3 hours on the album, teaches me to actually pay attention hehe.

Yeah, it took them long enough but they didn't skimp on the amount of music that's for sure lol. Gonna put it on today while I'm working.

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
Girlfriend and I finished this a couple of weeks ago now and I can't remember the last time I saw such a jump in quality from the first episode to the second. After the first I was feeling pretty meh about it and she pretty much actively hated it. By the second episode we were both hooked and she is wishing we had more episodes to watch.

Also, she is outraged by the plethora of bare breasts vs. the complete lack of Henry Cavill's bare butt (or much male nudity at all) which seems like a fair complaint. I don't remember the games having quite as glaring a disparity.

Seeing how popular it has become is surreal (probably in the same way it as for fans of the Game of Throne books). I'm hoping the popularity comes with an added budget and maybe some leeway to slow the pacing down a bit and let the characters shine, as the acting has been excellent across the board even when the writing has not. I'm very much looking forward to more.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also, she is outraged by the plethora of bare breasts vs. the complete lack of Henry Cavill's bare butt (or much male nudity at all) which seems like a fair complaint. I don't remember the games having quite as glaring a disparity.

Cavill was a pretty big get, I'd imagine he's in full control on that front.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Finally finished it. Having not read the books or played the games, thought it was good. Glad there's more on the way!

Gotta say it's a little concerning that people took so much issue with the structure. Had a good time piecing everything together once they made it obvious we were in different timelines (iiirc when the King's ball or w/e was happening with Yennefer, maybe I missed earlier clues). I don't think it would have been nearly as strong if it was chronological.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
I had no problem with the timelines. I just wish they hadn't rushed through Yennifer's time learning to be a sorceress and her time serving in Vengerberg. One or two more episodes focused on Yen would have been nice so her character arc didn't feel so compressed. Could have mixed it with a B-plot Geralt adventure (with or without Jaskier) as I don't feel like we saw enough of those.

Oct 25, 2017
I had no problem with the timelines. I just wish they hadn't rushed through Yennifer's time learning to be a sorceress and her time serving in Vengerberg. One or two more episodes focused on Yen would have been nice so her character arc didn't feel so compressed. Could have mixed it with a B-plot Geralt adventure (with or without Jaskier) as I don't feel like we saw enough of those.

Nothing's stopping them from doing flashbacks in the next season.
Finally finished it. Having not read the books or played the games, thought it was good. Glad there's more on the way!

Gotta say it's a little concerning that people took so much issue with the structure. Had a good time piecing everything together once they made it obvious we were in different timelines (iiirc when the King's ball or w/e was happening with Yennefer, maybe I missed earlier clues). I don't think it would have been nearly as strong if it was chronological.

Yeah I didn't feel like the timelines were a case of "look how clever I am giving you stuff out of order" syndrome (cough cough Pulp Fiction) but a way of interleaving different character's journeys in an interesting and contrasting manner. To make that final scene work you have to have built up to it, and the timelines helped prevent an episode from feeling like it was just laying groundwork.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I started out really liking Yen but episode 5 soured me on her big time, what with the whole Orgy of Dubious Consent. Episode 8 picked back up. I still prefer game!Yen which is a shame because Anya Chalotra does such an amazing job. The real standout of this show for me is Jaskier (have y'all seen tumblr? Geraskier thirst is real and I am guilty of it. Plus "Her Sweet Kiss" is.. yeah. Gay). Overall I fully recognise it has plenty of (sometimes glaring) flaws but fuck man, I don't care, I love this show.

Now to read the books and replay TW3 while sadly waiting for season 2.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

As someone that recently beat Witcher 3, the game is exactly the same. I have seen countless of tits and asses and not Geralt bare butt once (the most i seen is the unicorn scene where he is sitting nude on it).

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some good info here from the showrunner: https://redanianintelligence.com/20...owrunner-describes-deleted-scenes-season-two/

On Fringilla:
"You will absolutely get more Fringilla. What is interesting, referring back to your earlier questions, Fringilla is one of those characters that we're going to delve into even more. One of the things that I did hear is that she seems like a fanatic or a zealot, which is interesting. I've never seen her that way, perhaps because, even by the time that we were putting it on the air, I knew where we were going with season two. We're digging deeper into her past and how she ended up at Nilfgaard, who she is as a person, and how she and Yennefer ended up on such different paths. She gets to do a lot more. I'm so excited. Mimi Ndiweni did such a fantastic job portraying her."

On the critique that the show was trying to do too much (with all 3 characters):
"Viewers are going to find that because we're not trying to push as much story, and we're not trying to constantly introduce new characters all the time, and new worlds, and new kingdoms, and increase the politics, sometimes we just get to sit with characters and learn about them a little bit more. And that's probably the thing I'm most excited for people to see."

On deleted scenes and wanting to see more of Yen as a young woman:
"We had a lovely scene in Episode 103 where Yennefer, Fringilla, and Sabrina all discussed how they felt about their transformations, and looking back, I wish we could have kept it. It was such a gorgeous example of female friendship, and it also would have served to ground Fringilla a bit more before she joined Nilfgaard. We also filmed a scene of Yen meeting a very young Triss, who'd just arrived at Aretuza; it served to show how far Yennefer had come in her years at Aretuza, and created a sense of mentorship between these two sorceresses. Looking ahead at some stories unfolding in season two, I wish we still had those scenes! But I'm proud of what we accomplished in the time we had."

Also, Graham McTavish is auditioning for Dijkstra (!!!): https://redanianintelligence.com/20...on-2-the-hobbit-actor-auditions-for-dijkstra/

Video at that link and transcript of the script (which has King Vizimir, but may not be an actual shooting script)

graham-mctavish-interview-4.jpg

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just listened to the latest BTS podcast, the one on Ciri.

I didn't even think about the farmer (who is married to the woman who takes Ciri in) offers Geralt the law of surprise after he saves his life, essentially "winning" Ciri for him a second time.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Just listened to the latest BTS podcast, the one on Ciri.

I didn't even think about the farmer (who is married to the woman who takes Ciri in) offers Geralt the law of surprise after he saves his life, essentially "winning" Ciri for him a second time.
I thought it was weird they did that as a throwaway when it was a big deal in the books

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the season a lot. I think the production values are decent for the kind of show it is. Music was really great and the costumes look fine. I agree about the complaints about Yennefer's story so far. They really had a problem trying to paint her as obsessed with power, disillusioned with the conclave, being super powerful, wanting a baby and both loving and reviling her mentor. It seems her personality and power level vary completely one episode to the next.

Oct 29, 2017
Some good info here from the showrunner: https://redanianintelligence.com/20...owrunner-describes-deleted-scenes-season-two/

On Fringilla:

On the critique that the show was trying to do too much (with all 3 characters):

On deleted scenes and wanting to see more of Yen as a young woman:

Also, Graham McTavish is auditioning for Dijkstra (!!!): https://redanianintelligence.com/20...on-2-the-hobbit-actor-auditions-for-dijkstra/

Video at that link and transcript of the script (which has King Vizimir, but may not be an actual shooting script)

graham-mctavish-interview-4.jpg
He would be fantastic in any fantasy series. I would love to see him in a bunch of adaptations, especially since he is the spitting image of Bayaz from The First Law series.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I just watched the last episode, and I think I will need some time to determine how I really feel about it. The world its set in is very interesting, but the story doesn't really fill in many details, so in the end it feels kind of hollow.

One major source of confusion is in classification of magic. I think I understand what the sorcerers are, but then there are Druids. I can't really tell the difference between people like Yenn and people like Mousesack. They both seem to use the exact same magic. Maybe I missed some exposition, but it was kind of a source of confusion.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god this interview with Sapkowski is amazing:

io9: When you were first approached about doing a show adaptation of The Witcher books, how did you feel about it? Did you have any reservations?

Andrzej Sapkowski:
I must confess I was reluctant at first. I have been approached before by many people, mostly far from being serious. So I practically lost hope and was difficult to persuade when suddenly another offer appeared. But this specific offer was businesslike and the people behind it sympathetic. I had every reason to react positively.

io9: How involved were you in the production process?

Sapkowski:
Not very much, on my own request. I do not like working too hard or too long. By the way, I do not like working at all. "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone at me." John 8:7.

io9: Was there anything you insisted be included or fought for?

Sapkowski:
For the record: I strongly believe in the freedom of an artist and his artistic expression. I do not interfere and do not impose my views on other artists. I do not insist on anything and do not fight for anything. I advise. When necessary. And asked for.

io9: Were there any creative changes the show made that you agreed with, or even changed your view of your work?

Sapkowski:
It was inevitable. The process of transforming words into pictures cannot be done without some losses. But I'd rather keep the details to myself.

io9: What surprised you the most about the production process?

Sapkowski:
A lot of things. Even though I am not so easily surprised. Believe or not, when I write I don't see any pictures. It is not a visual process with me. I see letters only and I work with letters. So, when I see some visualization of my work—be it comics, games or movies—sometimes I am really surprised. Mostly pleasantly.

io9: What do you think translated best to screen in the show adaptation?

Sapkowski:
My name appears in the credits. I cannot praise the show. It wouldn't be decent.

io9: What do you feel didn't successfully translate to screen in the show adaptation?

Sapkowski:
I would have to be an idiot to say. My name appears in the credits.

io9: How would you compare The Witcher show to the video games? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each medium?

Sapkowski:
I cannot compare anything to video games, because I have never played any. Since I was a kid I haven't played any games—with a possible exception of bridge and poker. Video games are simply not for me, I prefer books as entertainment. Anyway, in my opinion TV series and video games—any of them—cannot be compared. They are too different in approach, making—and objective. You cannot compare spaghetti carbonara with a bicycle. Even though both have advantages and disadvantages.

io9: What was your reaction to learning your books were getting 500,000 reprints after the release of the Netflix show?

Sapkowski:
How do you expect I answer this question? That I despaired? Shed tears? Considered suicide? No sir. My feelings were rather obvious and not excessively complex.

io9: The Witcher's popularity has seen a resurgence since the show, both with the books and the video games. Why do you feel that is?

Sapkowski:
I am tempted to say that this happened because of the author's exceptional talent, but I won't do that, I am too modest. I'll answer your question with the Latin proverb: habent sua fata libelli, books have their own destinies.

io9: For fans of the show who haven't read your book series before, what are you hoping they get out of reading it for the first time?

Sapkowski:
Let them convince themselves. So wait no longer, guys and gals. Read the books.

io9: What are you most looking forward to with the future of The Witcher show, which has already been renewed for season two?

Sapkowski:
Allow me to quote Joe Abercrombie, the author whose books are very much to my liking: "Life is, basically, fucking shit. Best to keep your expectations low. Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised."

io9: Any additional comments?

Sapkowski:
None whatsoever. Thank you.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
"My feelings were rather obvious and not excessively complex" is my new favourite way to answer stupid "But how did <obvious positive/negative thing> make you feel?" questions.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just watched the last episode, and I think I will need some time to determine how I really feel about it. The world its set in is very interesting, but the story doesn't really fill in many details, so in the end it feels kind of hollow.

One major source of confusion is in classification of magic. I think I understand what the sorcerers are, but then there are Druids. I can't really tell the difference between people like Yenn and people like Mousesack. They both seem to use the exact same magic. Maybe I missed some exposition, but it was kind of a source of confusion.

I didn't even catch the distinction from the show, only knowing Mousesack as a druid from the books. I think the show just treated him as a regular sorcerer, with him being the 'only way into Brokilon' a hint at something else. I don't think they even went into why that was even the case when everyone else that enters is held and put through testing, if not outright killed. That is if I didn't miss anything between Cahir and the doppler.

The show did rush through quite a bit, and I can't agree with further flashbacks to attempt to stop the momentum to provide context or build up that would have been smoothly integrated from the start. That doesn't make it a bad show as most of it works just fine, but it's a flaw that I hope is smoothed over with the fairly straightforward narrative ahead.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I can't get mad at him, really... But this dude seems to give zero shits whatsoever.

I don't know if he's an asshole or if it's adorable.

He's not an asshole. He's 71, he completed his work, and has allowed others to continue his universe and it has turned out well.

We get so entitled with media. This man has earned a couple of decades of retirement to be enjoyed with family, friends, and leisure.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I can't get mad at him, really... But this dude seems to give zero shits whatsoever.

I don't know if he's an asshole or if it's adorable.

Well he lost his only child, his son last year... so yeah, I understand why he probably doesn't give a shit about anything right now

And this part: "Sapkowski: Allow me to quote Joe Abercrombie, the author whose books are very much to my liking: "Life is, basically, fucking shit. Best to keep your expectations low. Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised" is precisely where I am.. I like the show and I'm looking forward to the second season, but as an adaptation, good it isn't

Jebral

Oct 29, 2017
We get so entitled with media. This man has earned a couple of decades of retirement to be enjoyed with family, friends, and leisure.

For sure! Not saying otherwise. I don't want or need the man to sing and dance for me. just struck me as odd how hands off he is and how utterly neutral he seems to be on all the other material that sprang from his books. Nothing wrong with the author caring only for his books though, so hey.