• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
So, i wanted to create a little spot where people that enjoy buying and keeping older games might wanna come by and share their tales, conquests and misfortunes.

Being in Brazil i spent most of my life without access to legit games or without money for them. They were either not made avaliable on stores or at stupidly high prices. Imagine yourself having to pay 280USD for Mario Galaxy 1 year after launch for context...

So, now, i have a decent job and some disposable income and i like to have my game boxes and get my hands on the games i enjoy having around me... i also have a bit of a soft spot for bad exlcusives. So, my shelf has the Snoopy game for ps4 right next to Uncharted 4.

As time went on, i decided to look back to 2 consoles i missed in my youth. The PS2 and PS3. The ps3 proved itself a wonderful PS1 emulation box and i have been using it for that. having over 500 PS1 titles in a External HDD is just fantastic for travels! And Putting a 2TB HDD on a Fat Ps2 has been fantastic too... super happy about that.

The plan is to slowly round up my favorites on all consoles to get the Physical copies and for everything else i just wanna dive int othe deep pool of Playstation weird BS that is out there. Many games that came out later on Steam also found a home in my over 1.2k steam titles too like Vanquish and Bayonetta.

So that's the passion... let's talk about woes.

Finding PS3 games has been a pain. Remember what i said about Mario Galaxy before? That hasn't really solved itself completely. And a Used copy of Skyrim on PS3 can be found easily at around 100 bucks.

Used.
Skyrim.
Ps3
Base game. no DLC.

100 bucks.

So, when i see a copy of Vampire Rain Altered Species my silly heart goes "Ooooh that seems shitty, might be fun to stream of to play around with..." but then the price tag comes at about 60 bucks and i have to twist my nose a bit. And don't even think about torrenting this stuff... Ps3 is nearly impossible to get these days outside of the most popular stuff. And Ps2 is better... but not that great either.

Y'know one thing i took a shine to recently? The goddamn Move. Got a pair of Move controllers thinking i might wanna jump to Playstation vr later, so why not get the older move controllers while they were still cheap? Totally worth it, price spiked online after Launch... then i got the PS3, and then i stumbled onto a Ps3 camera for 20 bucks and that point i just have to say "why not?!" so i have the whole setup already! Just missing the games... and the idea of Playing Time Crisis 4 on the move controller just sounds fun to me... like a road trip to an abandoned city i never went too when it was "popular" .

But lo'n behold... Can't get my hands on a copy of Time Crisis 4 for less than 70 bucks apparently!

A Lot of it seems to be digging and diving, and quite frankly the hunt is part of the fun. I have no issues shoving those pretty isos into my external HDD, and even if i get my hands on the physical copy (which is the end goal of all of this anyways...) i would still rip it to the HDD.... which since i don't have a Bluray ripper, downloading those torrents is salvation even when i HAVE the physical game anyways....

it's weird in a sense, in a time where we have no shortage of games and more are coming out by the boatload, i just find time and energy (and resources...) to devote to seeking out Ps1, Ps2 and PS3 games i missed out back in the day.... but having to navigate only for the seller that will not sell you an expensive copy of a scratched disk, or the website that will not slave your PC for bitcoin mining in exchange of a Fake torrent can be quite a drag sometimes.

So, how about you guys? Do you window shop a lot for old games? Has any particular barrier standing between you and a collection or item you want? What's the problem? hard to find? Too expensive? Too many hops to jump through? Share on!

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We do have a retroERA thread for general retro discussion, but it doesn't see much use, sadly. I don't think there's many retro gamers on Era.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/retroera-ioti-40-years-of-classic-backlog.925/page-4

You have my sympathy though. Collecting in the US can sometimes be a bear with how spread out the country is, but at least I can pick up most wii and ps3 games for cheap nowadays. To use your Skyrim ps3 example, that is currently a $5 game here. Are import fees bad for your country? If not, we could probably get you a lot for cheap.

OP
OP
Araujo

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Thing is... problem isn't the import taxes. They are a bitch... but they are also random! It's a magical system really...

The rough cut of it is that Taxation for games comes just about 60% of total sales value ( So, item + shipping ). But i've purchases a LOT of items from Playasia and VideogamesPlus and never got taxed at all. Which helps cause i saved a lot of money this way. The worst is actually the shipping costs and that's pretty much unniversal, cause international shipping can come up as high as the cost of the item itself. Playasia and VGplus usually will charge me like, 9-15 bucks for shipping which is great. And sometimes theere is even free shipping! If i buy from Asian regions on Ebay like Japan or china, i often get free shipping but it takes 4 months for the thing to arrive and there is a risk of the packaging getting lost in transit...

But if i buy from the USA or Ebay for example, and often times UK or Australia, shipping will easily go to 40-70 bucks for a single game.

Here is an example... i saw this copy of Conan for Ps3 on Ebay, pretty cheap even! But the Shipping costs is Higher than the game itself. Even though the overall cost is not that high... And Conan on the Ps3 is a game you're not going to find online to Download. So, if you want this subpar Ps3 exclusive cause you think it would be fun to have it, you just gotta clench your teeth and accept paying twice the asking price and hopping International mail service gets it to you. Comes with the territory i suppose.

ebay.jpg

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thing is... problem isn't the import taxes. They are a bitch... but they are also random! It's a magical system really...

The rough cut of it is that Taxation for games comes just about 60% of total sales value ( So, item + shipping ). But i've purchases a LOT of items from Playasia and VideogamesPlus and never got taxed at all. Which helps cause i saved a lot of money this way. The worst is actually the shipping costs and that's pretty much unniversal, cause international shipping can come up as high as the cost of the item itself. Playasia and VGplus usually will charge me like, 9-15 bucks for shipping which is great. And sometimes theere is even free shipping! If i buy from Asian regions on Ebay like Japan or china, i often get free shipping but it takes 4 months for the thing to arrive and there is a risk of the packaging getting lost in transit...

But if i buy from the USA or Ebay for example, and often times UK or Australia, shipping will easily go to 40-70 bucks for a single game.

Here is an example... i saw this copy of Conan for Ps3 on Ebay, pretty cheap even! But the Shipping costs is Higher than the game itself. Even though the overall cost is not that high... And Conan on the Ps3 is a game you're not going to find online to Download. So, if you want this subpar Ps3 exclusive cause you think it would be fun to have it, you just gotta clench your teeth and accept paying twice the asking price and hopping International mail service gets it to you. Comes with the territory i suppose.

i
Ooof, that shipping sounds pretty rough for what you get. I can get items shipped from japan to chicago for half that, but shipping to the southern hemisphere might be more difficult. Bummer.