• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
You guys are making me excited to play this, hahahaha.

The game never looked appealing to me in early videos, and most of the lengthy forum posts, gifs and videos about it were basically "it plays just like other stylish action game guys, we swear", which isn't enough to make me that interested. There are plenty of those.

But these posts here about what makes the game's structure and plot progression fun are really catching my eye.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

The game never looked appealing to me in early videos, and most of the lengthy forum posts, gifs and videos about it were basically "it plays just like other stylish action game guys, we swear", which isn't enough to make me that interested. There are plenty of those.

But these posts here about what makes the game's structure and plot progression fun are really catching my eye.
I have not played the full game for clarification.

But some time ago at PAX there was a pretty extensive little demo they had available (was a 30-40 minute long demo), and my impressions from that at the time was the game plays a lot better than it looks, it feels very good to play and the combat is very engaging.

I'm excited to play the full thing finally.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
My WiiU copy still sits forlorn in the TV cabinet. Guess it'll have to stay there as I'll totally double dip on this and finally play it.

Did play through the demo but wasn't a huge fan of the drawing mechanism, though it did seem like one of those things that might eventually click and be awesome if I'd stuck with it.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark

People saying it plays like every other stylish action game probably don't get The Wonderful 101. Does it draw from those games? Oh, most definitely. But the 100 playable characters at the same time aspect is just so essential to the game that it kind of carves its own niche. It's not Pikmin, but it does have some of the RTS resource management going on.

For instance, you only take HP damage if the hero you're currently controlling gets hit. If any other hero gets hit they get momentarily knocked out. So, use the others as a shield, right? Well, your Unite Morphs are made from other heroes, so if you have 60 heroes and get 20 KO'd you can't make a Size-50 morph until they recover. To go even further, if all your Sword users are knocked out, you can't use Unite Sword at all until they recover.

Add to that the ability to have part of the blob of heroes break off and attack independently, and you have an action game quite unlike most other stylish action games.

It takes some getting used to. But when you do, it's just amazing. That moment where you tell 25 of your people to turn into a Sword and attack that guy, while you turn into a giant Hand to punch the other guy, while keeping an eye on the third enemy in case you need to dodge... That is when The Wonderful 101 clicks and it's an amazing moment.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Just read the email about the statue, not a big fan of the method they are releasing this. They should just ask Nintendo for help and turn it into an amiibo anyone in the world can buy easily. Even Shovel Knight and Solaire got amiibos, Wonder Red shouldnt be an exception.
But nope, selling only at their booth at a statue festival in Japan, and even if they put it on their website later its going to be too expensive for its size, not even adding importing costs.
If he would have been in Smash already we wouldnt had have that problem.
unnamedm4jpw.png

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Just read the email about the statue, not a big fan of the method they are releasing this. They should just ask Nintendo for help and turn it into an amiibo anyone in the world can buy easily. Even Shovel Knight and Solaire got amiibos, Wonder Red shouldnt be an exception.
But nope, selling only at their booth at a statue festival in Japan, and even if they put it on their website later its going to be too expensive for its size, not even adding importing costs.
unnamedm4jpw.png

God, I'd get that in a heartbeat if I could and pretend Wonder Red is in Smash.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I have not played the full game for clarification.

But some time ago at PAX there was a pretty extensive little demo they had available (was a 30-40 minute long demo), and my impressions from that at the time was the game plays a lot better than it looks, it feels very good to play and the combat is very engaging.

I'm excited to play the full thing finally.
It is true it plays better than it might look at first glance, and is insanely engaging. But what really makes it special are the ridiculous set pieces, each of which feels like a climax to any other video game, the enthralling story, and the endearing characters and writing. It's really a full package.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
It is true it plays better than it might look at first glance, and is insanely engaging. But what really makes it special are the ridiculous set pieces, each of which feels like a climax to any other video game, the enthralling story, and the endearing characters and writing. It's really a full package.
yes! the voice acting is so good and so funny.
I love Wonder Green. That dude killed me

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I just remembered, the original versions speed was tied to its framerate. I think all of Platinums games do this, actually. So the uncapped framerate dream on PC is probably dead.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just remembered, the original versions speed was tied to its framerate. I think all of Platinums games do this, actually. So the uncapped framerate dream on PC is probably dead.

Vanquish port has unlocked framerate, but for a shooter I feel that is a necessary feature. That being said I'm pretty sure this is gonna be like Bayonetta and be capped at 60.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vanquish port has unlocked framerate, but for a shooter I feel that is a necessary feature. That being said I'm pretty sure this is gonna be like Bayonetta and be capped at 60.
did they ever fix that PC bug where twice the framerate made you take twice the damage in vanquish

that said imagine that giant ice crab boss at above 20 FPS

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
unnamedm4jpw.png

(Ridiculously optimistic and almost certainly wrong) plot twist: they're not releasing a Wonder Red amiibo just yet because they're waiting for it to be added to Smash via newcomers pack 2. :D

Deleted member 39144

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Changed my bid for the new Double Physical Pledge. I was happy with just the Switch version, but the chance to see a Nintendo splash screen on my PS4 is too much to pass up.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
They've added double digital, then double physical, hopefully the next one will be one digital/one physical, which is the one I actually want to buy :P

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Upped my donation for two digital copies. Anyone know for sure If that means we can get two different platforms? I'd like pc and switch if possible.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
What a weird timeline we live in.

Yeah Sisqo is a big time gamer.
I remember Greg Miller talking about doing something with Sisqo for E3 years back and he asked him what game he was most excited for, excepting him to say something casual like COD or 2K. Sisqo answered Xenoblade Chronicles X and that was when Greg knew he was a hardcore gamer lol

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Sisqo is a big time gamer.
I remember Greg Miller talking about doing something with Sisqo for E3 years back and he asked him what game he was most excited for, excepting him to say something casual like COD or 2K. Sisqo answered Xenoblade Chronicles X and that was when Greg knew he was a hardcore gamer lol
time to bump Thong Song I guess

手加減 TG

Dec 11, 2019
Upped my donation for two digital copies. Anyone know for sure If that means we can get two different platforms? I'd like pc and switch if possible.
They confirmed that you will be able to mix digital Doubles in the update email they sent out a few hours ago... but the actual kickstarter page doesn't seem to mention it.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes you can. When they added the tier they specifically talked about it being an option for people who want the game on multiple platforms, or to gift a copy to someone else.

Avacyn

Jan 14, 2020
I haven't played the original game but I think that this is incredibly novel since I didn't expect Nintendo to sign off on having one of their IPs on a Sony console, even one that I don't think that they're super interested in themselves.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that its nearly 2 million CAD but still isn't past the 1.5 million USD mark is depressing for me. Our dollar is fucked.

Ballpoint Ren

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
unnamedm4jpw.png

I'm gonna do everything within my power to get this. Somehow. Someway. My quest for this garage kit will last far longer than today.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
unnamedm4jpw.png

LOOK AT HIS TINY LITTLE BUTT!

If they ever release these things anywhere else I'm going to have to get one and display it exclusively facing away. CHEEKS: UNITE UP!