• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Is it possible to change delivery address at some point? I want to get the physical version, but I might move to another city by the time it releases
If by the time they ask you for shipping info you're not yet sure where you'll be when it releases then ship it to a friend or something

Oct 25, 2017
Plus if I had one criticism of W101, it's that it probably already has too much content. It's definitely not at Okami levels but it's already easily Kamiya's second-biggest game and I'm not really desperate for even more levels beyond that.

A stand-alone campaign is a much bigger draw.

You better prepare yourself for the Wonderful 101 equivalent of Rise from the Ashes.

Ballpoint Ren

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Anyone wanna help a Canadian dude out and snag me one of those posters at PAXEast?? I have not problem paying for shipping and whatnot 🙏🙏🙏

Capra

Oct 25, 2017

Matthewmattosis made a nice little* ramble recommending the game and discussing the kickstarter. Apparently it's his favorite game of all time, which is interesting to hear but not unexpected if you've followed his channel.

*37-minute

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark

Matthewmattosis made a nice little* ramble recommending the game and discussing the kickstarter. Apparently it's his favorite game of all time, which is interesting to hear but not unexpected if you've followed his channel.

*37-minute

His point about the game having a surprising ratio of people who played it to people who loved it is an interesting one, because I've not seen a lot of people who played The Wonderful 101 and disliked it either.

For the record, I have played The Wonderful 101, and I love the game.

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Caved and pledged for physical switch - loved it on wiiU
Ironically I thought the tutorial on the demo was much better and clearer than the one in the final game, I wonder if they will address that, and although the dual screen was fun for the parts that used it I just pray they do better than Ubisoft did with rayman legends when they ported the touch parts to PS4 and Xbox

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

*37-minute

Never seen this guy's stuff, but happy for anyone with a sizable following to be promoting this kickstarter. We need all the help we can get to get to those later goals.
His point about the game having a surprising ratio of people who played it to people who loved it is an interesting one, because I've not seen a lot of people who played The Wonderful 101 and disliked it either.

Totally agree. It is one of my top 5 games ever, easily. It has a really tough barrier to entry, but everyone I know who has actually gotten into it has come away loving it.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

*37-minute

I came to post this, too.

He makes a great point about 26-ish minutes in about how The Wonderful 101 has this reputation of being a very niche game, and that was only strengthened after it bombing so hard in sales, but it really isn't as niche as it looks. "Its bark is worse than its bite", he says, which is a nice way of putting it. It's a unique game, but it isn't this alien thing that just dropped out of space one day; if you've ever played an action game all your instincts about hitting enemies, dodging attacks, throwing some moves together in a stylish manner are all going to come in to play. It'll take you a little longer to get up to speed with it than your average character action game, but if you've ever enjoyed anything by Platinum or Hideki Kamiya you're going to feel at home here.

Last edited:

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It does seem this video has helped, at least for today. There has been more money pledged today than the last few. Hopefully a few other significant content creators promote it similarly.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States

Next social goal is to get this to 3730 RTs. It's a "membership reward upgrade" reward; I'm not sure which item it corresponds to but it's something more tangible again.

Oct 25, 2017
Latest update also reveals who sang the theme.
FORESTA sang the Japanese version, while the English version was a team of Jimmy Wilcox, Rob McElroy, and Bruce Blanchard.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017

To be honest, my experience has been the opposite. When Wonderful 101 clicks for someone they usually end up loving it, but I know tons of people who started it (or played the demo) and hated it, because they couldn't get into the controls at all and found It frustrating to play.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Latest update also reveals who sang the theme.
FORESTA sang the Japanese version, while the English version was a team of Jimmy Wilcox, Rob McElroy, and Bruce Blanchard.

This isn't technically new knowledge, but then I suppose even most fans of the game didn't buy the soundtrack back when it was sold on Sumthing.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
The FAQ states that shipping is included in the pricing of the physical reward tiers but every physical tier appears to be charging an additional shipping fee to the US. What gives?

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Went ahead and backed at the "Wonderful Tunes" level. Going in blind, but I love Platinum games and wanted to support them a bit more than just the base level. Wish I could make it to PAX and get some autographs.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Did they already give us the option to choose which digital version we want as a backer reward? I wasn't really following the updates since there were so many, whoops.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
So what exactly makes the combat and controls unique? I backed it because it's Platinum and I had always wanted to check this out, but at a glance, the gameplay looks like a character-action Anarcute

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
So what exactly makes the combat and controls unique? I backed it because it's Platinum and I had always wanted to check this out, but at a glance, the gameplay looks like a character-action Anarcute

The combat is mostly standard Character Action fare. You have your enemies, your variety of weapons and moves, your dodge and blocks, and basically all that Platinum goodness.

However, the character you play as makes all the difference here. Or characters, as it is. You are the Wonderful 100 (pronounced One-double-oh), one hundred masked defenders of justice, and you control all of them at the same time. By drawing on the ground. With the right stick, a line of Wonderful Ones extends from the group, draw the corresponding shape with your line of heroes to unite into huge Unite morphs, basically your movesets, and take on your foes.

What this means is that mid fight, you'll be drawing with one hand, and inputting moves with the other, so your Wonderful Stinger comes out with the Sword, then you turn into a Hand to juggle the enemy, before becoming a tombstone and dropping through them, then becoming a gun to juggle them a bit DMC style.

It is extremely chaotic initially, but when it clicks, you will feel like you are actually controlling 100 super-heroes at the same time.

But it is better shown visually, so have a video:

In fact, have another:

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
Today's update said we only managed 1.2k retweets of this tweet
We need 3430. We've got 26k backers come on! Get that message retweeted!

Gives us a Membership reward upgrade from paper to plastic!

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Today's update said we only managed 1.2k retweets of this tweet
We need 3430. We've got 26k backers come on! Get that message retweeted!

Gives us a Membership reward upgrade from paper to plastic!
It's kind of pathetic.

But realistically Platinum should have been clearer what the reward is for this stage, and not linking the tweet in today's update didn't help.

Part of me thinks about making it a promoted tweet, but that should be completely unnecessary considering we have over five times the requirement in backers alone.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I was really surprised by this game making it multiplatform because W101 its such a NINTENDO game at its roots.
If you've read or watch about development of the game, you'll know that it started as a Nintendo all stars game, they wanted to have Mario, Luigi, Peach, Link, DK Kong, Captain Falcon, Fox, all fighting alongside and appearently Nintendo thought this was very ambitious (lol smash tho) and rejected it. Eventually with this concept in mind they created original characters and thus W101 was born.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was really surprised by this game making it multiplatform because W101 its such a NINTENDO game at its roots.
If you've read or watch about development of the game, you'll know that it started as a Nintendo all stars game, they wanted to have Mario, Luigi, Peach, Link, DK Kong, Captain Falcon, Fox, all fighting alongside and appearently Nintendo thought this was very ambitious (lol smash tho) and rejected it. Eventually with this concept in mind they created original characters and thus W101 was born.
There's also numerous blatant Nintendo references and Easter eggs in the final game.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kickstarters are always like this. Huge beginning, slow middle, and then a huge push near the end. Honestly, I'm amazed by the support for a game that sold less than 50k.
Sure, but right now it's slower than slow. I thought for sure we would get to 1.75 million by this week... weekend at the latest. Now it seems like it may not happen until nearly the end of the KS, making the 2 Mil the final goal people will need to push for rather than a goal beyond that... and I'm not sure that the 2 Mil goal is going to motivate a bunch of people to make a big final push.

But I guess we'll see.

Of course, I'm happy with how much success the KS has had already. This game deserves more love and attention.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the vinyl still at the incredibly expensive backer level?
Dunno what you consider incredibly expensive, but it's the tier I backed -- costs $324 USD before shipping. It was the last semi-reasonable tier pricing-wise imo considering there are quite a few that are thousands of dollars.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Dunno what you consider incredibly expensive, but it's the tier I backed -- costs $324 USD before shipping. It was the last semi-reasonable tier pricing-wise imo considering there are quite a few that are thousands of dollars.
I mean it's expensive because I only want the game and the vinyl. I can't really afford that tier right

Out_Of_Ammo

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Something tells me it doesn't matter whether we complete the challenges or not and those upgraded rewards were planned from the beginning. No way there were only going to be 8 stickers instead of 101 if we didn't complete the challenges.