The Wonderful 101: Remastered goes up on Kickstarter

Oct 25, 2017
California
Plus if I had one criticism of W101, it’s that it probably already has too much content. It’s definitely not at Okami levels but it’s already easily Kamiya’s second-biggest game and I’m not really desperate for even more levels beyond that.

A stand-alone campaign is a much bigger draw.
You better prepare yourself for the Wonderful 101 equivalent of Rise from the Ashes.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017

Matthewmattosis made a nice little* ramble recommending the game and discussing the kickstarter. Apparently it's his favorite game of all time, which is interesting to hear but not unexpected if you've followed his channel.

*37-minute

McNum

Oct 26, 2017
Denmark

Matthewmattosis made a nice little* ramble recommending the game and discussing the kickstarter. Apparently it's his favorite game of all time, which is interesting to hear but not unexpected if you've followed his channel.

*37-minute
His point about the game having a surprising ratio of people who played it to people who loved it is an interesting one, because I've not seen a lot of people who played The Wonderful 101 and disliked it either.

For the record, I have played The Wonderful 101, and I love the game.

Krysuk

Oct 27, 2017
Caved and pledged for physical switch - loved it on wiiU
Ironically I thought the tutorial on the demo was much better and clearer than the one in the final game, I wonder if they will address that, and although the dual screen was fun for the parts that used it I just pray they do better than Ubisoft did with rayman legends when they ported the touch parts to PS4 and Xbox

TDLink

Oct 25, 2017

*37-minute
Never seen this guy's stuff, but happy for anyone with a sizable following to be promoting this kickstarter. We need all the help we can get to get to those later goals.
His point about the game having a surprising ratio of people who played it to people who loved it is an interesting one, because I've not seen a lot of people who played The Wonderful 101 and disliked it either.

Totally agree. It is one of my top 5 games ever, easily. It has a really tough barrier to entry, but everyone I know who has actually gotten into it has come away loving it.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

*37-minute
I came to post this, too.

He makes a great point about 26-ish minutes in about how The Wonderful 101 has this reputation of being a very niche game, and that was only strengthened after it bombing so hard in sales, but it really isn't as niche as it looks. "Its bark is worse than its bite", he says, which is a nice way of putting it. It's a unique game, but it isn't this alien thing that just dropped out of space one day; if you've ever played an action game all your instincts about hitting enemies, dodging attacks, throwing some moves together in a stylish manner are all going to come in to play. It'll take you a little longer to get up to speed with it than your average character action game, but if you've ever enjoyed anything by Platinum or Hideki Kamiya you're going to feel at home here.

Last edited:

TDLink

Oct 25, 2017
It does seem this video has helped, at least for today. There has been more money pledged today than the last few. Hopefully a few other significant content creators promote it similarly.

Oct 25, 2017
Latest update also reveals who sang the theme.
FORESTA sang the Japanese version, while the English version was a team of Jimmy Wilcox, Rob McElroy, and Bruce Blanchard.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017

To be honest, my experience has been the opposite. When Wonderful 101 clicks for someone they usually end up loving it, but I know tons of people who started it (or played the demo) and hated it, because they couldn't get into the controls at all and found It frustrating to play.

SnazzyNaz

Nov 11, 2019
The FAQ states that shipping is included in the pricing of the physical reward tiers but every physical tier appears to be charging an additional shipping fee to the US. What gives?

Aftervirtue

Nov 13, 2017
Went ahead and backed at the “Wonderful Tunes” level. Going in blind, but I love Platinum games and wanted to support them a bit more than just the base level. Wish I could make it to PAX and get some autographs.