• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well, they can do whatever they want, still doesn't change the fact that they killed the progression of the Kickstarter with how they balanced all the goals. 🤷‍♂️
They took the steam out of their sails, that's all I said.
So I don't know what you want from me with this comment.

Yeah, but your suggestions for putting the steam back in their sails was "why didn't they do those things but at a fraction of the cost? Oh and also make them way more exciting".

Like, that's obviously not feasible in any sense, so...

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Xbox will fund that port themselves so it releases straight to Game Pass. The only reason to leave off a single platform.
It's right in the FAQ though: They don't think it's viable for them to manage more than three platforms for their first self published title. They are inexperienced in the field and want to reduce the amount of stuff that could go wrong.

If you have to limit yourself to three platforms it's easy to see why Xbox was the one to be left out, at least for a game like this.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
A sequel to a Luka game that isn't even made yet is lame but it's better for them to make attainable stretch goals than to bite off more than they can chew just to make the KS more exciting.

They're also working on several other projects from publishers and whatever the other Platinum 4 are.

yoonshik

Oct 26, 2017
2 millions for "Luka's second mission".

Well, and that's where the Kickstarter died. These guys really don't know how to keep a hype up and keep something like this rolling.

Ideally, you have to add something for that people say "damn, I really want that" and make it reachable with a number where people also say "oh man that's so close, come on I pledge something/get a higher tier". They fail in both things.... for the second or third time in a row even.

Adding freaking Time Attack, 500 thousand away from the PS4 goal, as the very first new goal, was the first huge cockblock that gave this basically a full brake. Then the first adventure sounded nice, people thought about Viewtiful Joe but 500k again was kinda insane for the step speed they already reached.
Then they learned a bit and made the next only 250K away, for a remix soundtrack. Still not the hottest thing in the world but slightly better, would have made it a 100K goal tho cause it will be already hard to reach and now where it's almost standing, they added a second mission which will kill the progression completely.
Cause this will give people the inner feeling of "I already pledged for that", it's nothing new, it's not exiting anymore and it won't make people spend either more, or making them pledge in the first place.

A shame, still a massively successful Kickstarter, but it could have been so much better if they didn't took the wind out of their sails with these goals.
It is possible that there are more kickstarter projects on the way and they don't want to burn themselves with too much work.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
Well, they can do whatever they want, still doesn't change the fact that they killed the progression of the Kickstarter with how they balanced all the goals. 🤷‍♂️
It doesn't make any sense for them to add "exciting" additions just to get more funds, when the additions would cost them too much. They have to balance this thing.

It's not the point of the kickstarter to lose money in the end, you know

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Thoughts:

- The kickstarter was always roughly going to have the same inverse bellcurve, regardless of the stretch goals. Yeah, they could goose it a bit more by having different/more goals in between , but you also have to deliver on them, and they're probably pretty topped out on what they can actually deliver on in terms of time and money given that Platinum has like 5 other projects in the works.
- xbox is most likely just a later port, especially given that the kickstarter has done well.

A sequel to a Luka game that isn't even made yet is lame but it's better for them to make attainable stretch goals than to bite off more than they can chew just to make the KS more exciting.

They're also working on several other projects from publishers and whatever the other Platinum 4 are.

To be honest I think it's probably more like Luka's game being fleshed out closer to a full sized game.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
e7d52536144364314bd2ed2f3fd8d442_original.png

This might be the closest Kamiya gets to directing a sequel to one of his own games, though I don't know whether it counts as a sequel to TW101 or Viewtiful Joe :P

I was expecting an Xbox One version as the $2 mil stretch goal, but at this point I think it's probably off the table, at least for this Kickstarter campaign. I'm guessing that the Switch, PC and PS4 ports were basically 100% complete before the Kickstarter campaign ever went live and the time between the Kickstarter ending and the April release will just be spent manufacturing physical copies and getting them sent out. An Xbox One version would probably need to be built from the ground up and would never be able to release alongside the other versions.
For some reason I was hoping for some kind of 8bit or 16bit pixel art aesthetic for these bonus games, like that Bayonetta joke game they did once.That would be more interesting to me. I wonder what's the tentative release dates for those things anyway.

edit: Looking at the stretch goals picture it looks like they aren't even halfway through their planned goals. I'm not sure why they're hiding them away to be honest, cuz "Luka's Second Mission" isn't much incentive.

Last edited:

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I kinda hope the Luka DLC is something they can promise because they're already working on something Viewtiful Joe related and have the workings of an engine they can put a W101 skin on.

Last edited:

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
Have people really forgotten when newer kickstarters don't have crazy incentive goals anymore lol

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
I hope they skip the current comunity goal, I don't understand why the number of views on the trailers keeps decreasing but I don't see us hitting 67k at any point really

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
"One extra level" would be more exciting than a sequel to a spinoff mini mode that doesn't even exist yet, for example. Or an Xbox version. Or unlocked framerate for the PC version. Or a new difficulty setting. Or new skins for the characters. Or localization for additional languages. Or a few new characters. Dunno, literally anything else lol. Also the goals are way too far from one another IMO.

It would be cool if the goals for 1, 2 and 3 million were one DLC level per goal, to be released post-launch of course, and free for backers. I don't think one (short!) level PER MILLION is too crazy.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
edit: Looking at the stretch goals picture it looks like they aren't even halfway through their planned goals. I'm not sure why they're hiding them away to be honest, cuz "Luka's Second Mission" isn't much incentive.

I think showing too many goals can also be demotivating, if do agree that if they have something big left in there they should probably show it at this point, as it's going to trickle on until the last 3 days or so otherwise.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
First kickstarter I've ever backed. Game was fantastic on the Wii U. Hopefully it finally gets the audience it deserves

Jun 26, 2018

Well, and that's where the Kickstarter died. These guys really don't know how to keep a hype up and keep something like this rolling.

Ideally, you have to add something for that people say "damn, I really want that" and make it reachable with a number where people also say "oh man that's so close, come on I pledge something/get a higher tier". They fail in both things.... for the second or third time in a row even.

Adding freaking Time Attack, 500 thousand away from the PS4 goal, as the very first new goal, was the first huge cockblock that gave this basically a full brake. Then the first adventure sounded nice, people thought about Viewtiful Joe but 500k again was kinda insane for the step speed they already reached.
Then they learned a bit and made the next only 250K away, for a remix soundtrack. Still not the hottest thing in the world but slightly better, would have made it a 100K goal tho cause it will be already hard to reach and now where it's almost standing, they added a second mission which will kill the progression completely.
Cause this will give people the inner feeling of "I already pledged for that", it's nothing new, it's not exiting anymore and it won't make people spend either more, or making them pledge in the first place.

A shame, still a massively successful Kickstarter, but it could have been so much better if they didn't took the wind out of their sails with these goals.

I'm getting the game on PC after all this time, so I'm good, and any additional content is just bonus, not something that matters all that much

Oct 25, 2017
It will be interesting to see what the Luka level is like.
Endgame spoiler
I'm guessing he'll really be transformed into Wonder Goggles but they won't show it so not to spoil it for people that haven't played through the whole game yet.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're being way over-dramatic. The KS hasn't had the steam taken out of its sails at all. It is just following the same trajectory of dropping off after the first 36 - 48 hours that ALL KS projects do. That is why it soared past the Time Attack goal in the first day. Yeah it's taken a few more days to crawl to 1.5 million, but this kickstarter is already a massive success. And it still has over 3 weeks left. At the current pace it is going to make it past 2 million no problem.

It could be you personally don't like the current stretch goals, and that's fine, but a Viewtiful Joe-esque game IS something exciting to a lot of Platinum fans. And the original Wonderful 101 is already extremely long and packed full of content anyway. All that said, they still did say they were considering adding to the campaign too, but that realistically takes a lot more money, and I have no problem with Platinum being realistic about their goals.
"One extra level" would be more exciting than a sequel to a spinoff mini mode that doesn't even exist yet, for example. Or an Xbox version. Or unlocked framerate for the PC version. Or a new difficulty setting. Or new skins for the characters. Or localization for additional languages. Or a few new characters. Dunno, literally anything else lol. Also the goals are way too far from one another IMO.

It would be cool if the goals for 1, 2 and 3 million were one DLC level per goal, to be released post-launch of course, and free for backers. I don't think one (short!) level PER MILLION is too crazy.
You're severely underestimating the cost of these levels imo. They clearly have other goals planned still given the size of the stretch goal image. It's just a matter of getting to them.
I think showing too many goals can also be demotivating, if do agree that if they have something big left in there they should probably show it at this point, as it's going to trickle on until the last 3 days or so otherwise.
Other big Kickstarters have revealed all additional planned goals a few days before the campaign ends, which is when the big final push happens anyways. Right now they are very much following the popular model of only reveal the next couple. They also probably don't completely have the goals finalized at this point, they're just floating around as possible ideas.

On update #3 they also said the following:

"Speaking of rewards, we've heard a few backers asking about add-ons for the campaign. Including add-ons in the campaign is incredibly challenging both from a pricing and logistical perspective, but as always, we're always listening, so if you have feedback for us, please let us know."

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad we got W101 ported, everything else is only extra cream on the cake. The KS reaching 1.5M is already something unexpected.

Dec 23, 2017
What I hope would come from this but it won't is that Nintendo sees the power of Kickstarter and does one for f-zero gx remaster and waver race. Just a dream though. 😟

Deleted member 30935

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
What I hope would come from this but it won't is that Nintendo sees the power of Kickstarter and does one for f-zero gx remaster and waver race. Just a dream though. 😟
Nintendo doesn't need a kickstarter. If they want to make those games, they'll just do it. Nothing to gain from giving Kickstarter a portion of their funds.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Nintendo doesn't need a fucking kickstarter in order to publish a remaster of anything lol

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
The Remix Soundtrack will be reached soon for sure so I just hope they make a really exciting goal for 2.25 million

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
It's clear that the Switch and PS4 versions are already done and they wanted a minimum amount of funding to actually publish it, or maybe they have an investor who's willing to put a portion in if they hit their goals. The stretch goals feel kind of worthless and I kinda feel like they should have just stopped the kickstarter as soon as the PS4 goal was met. Now they're on the hook to provide content for the stretch goals and remixed music at 1.75 million dollars is a joke. It's a shitty situation as I'm sure there will be no Xbox port no matter what and this is just taking advantage of hype to get more money for dumb bonuses.
yeah they're not really gonna mess with the actual game and introduce new bosses or new areas, which would've been cool. That's why we're getting a brand new 2d chapter that has nothing to do with the code for the game.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Other big Kickstarters have revealed all additional planned goals a few days before the campaign ends, which is when the big final push happens anyways. Right now they are very much following the popular model of only reveal the next couple. They also probably don't completely have the goals finalized at this point, they're just floating around as possible ideas

Yeah, I agree, just saying the model of showing the next couple of stretch goals only has more or less run it's course, as it's going to take until the last couple of days to reach the current known goals.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I hate Luka so I don't care much about this stretch goal.
Don't know why Platinum puts an annoying kid in their games that often.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I agree, just saying the model of showing the next couple of stretch goals only has more or less run it's course, as it's going to take until the last couple of days to reach the current known goals.
I don't think that's true at all is the thing. We've settled into a steady pace now and have over 3 weeks still. I definitely see us getting to the 2 million goal before the last few days. I definitely think the 1.75 mil goal is going to be hit in another week max.

Dec 23, 2017
Nintendo doesn't need a kickstarter. If they want to make those games, they'll just do it. Nothing to gain from giving Kickstarter a portion of their funds.
Nintendo doesn't need a fucking kickstarter in order to publish a remaster of anything lol
Of course they don't but obviously they don't care enough about the franchises. It would just be cool to put it in the hands of the fans of the series.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
I don't think that's true at all is the thing. We've settled into a steady pace now and have over 3 weeks still. I definitely see us getting to the 2 million goal before the last few days. I definitely think the 1.75 mil goal is going to be hit in another week max.
na. 1.75 mio in another week won't happen

tohlew

Oct 25, 2017
na. 1.75 mio in another week won't happen

Oh lord I'm an idiot. For awhile now I've been thinking we've been flying through these stretch goals, with goals being announced after we already hit the mark. Turns out Kickstarter changes the money raised to Canadian dollars, so while I see the project being just over $2 million, it's only at $1.5 million US.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Ew, that Luka screen is giving me MN09 flashbacks. Like just let inti or someone do a sprite based spinoff.