• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
Just picked mine up and played with it a bit. The handheld controls are pretty similar to the phone version which is fine. The joycon controls work perfectly fine. Obviously, not what I would have preferred but my gut feeling is that the anger towards them is a little overblown. Of course, I haven't played for very long. Still, nothing to stop me from enjoying myself playing the game again.

As a side note, I have yet to try it myself but I have heard some people are playing with both joycons which might be interesting.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
boy was i hype for this. and the ceiling crashed reading these reviews about the controls. might as well boot this up on my ipad pro and save the $49.99

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
As for the controls, here's my little explanation of how exactly they work:

I don't think so.
The pointer basically does what the stylus did in the DS version, with the A-Button being the tap.
On top of that you use the R-Button to move Neku to where your pointer is.

This does already solve the problem from the original where some attack inputs where mistaken as movement imputs.

However, the pointer controls are not without fault. Some pins(this games weapons) require tapping the enemy to attack them, the same input that summons your partner for attacking the enemies.
This could have been easily solved by requiring another button for it, like ZR, which does the exact same as A.

I also think that the pointer will have trouble with later parts of the game, but to be fair, those are the same issues I ran into on the DS. That some of the better pins require way too similar inputs.

There's also the consern of drifting, which is quite an issue for a lot of Switch users. Y resets the pointer to the middle of the screen instantly, so whenever you feel that you moved to much or that the pointer starts drifting, just hit Y, and you're good to go again.

So all in all, the pointer controls work. They're not perfect by any means, but they're getting the job done without being obnoxious.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a generic cryptic message before release isn't the same as buy this so a sequel happens. people shouldn't be fooled by that. SE is too big of a company to make people feel like the fate of one of their series is in the hands of fans to buy a shoddy port of a game that they're not even publishing themselves.
I agree with this. You shouldn't be buying the game to fund a sequel.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the OT, excited to see if I can finally make it past the one hour mark, kept trying to back in the day but first year college kept me busy from it back in the DS days.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
a generic cryptic message before release isn't the same as buy this so a sequel happens. people shouldn't be fooled by that. SE is too big of a company to make people feel like the fate of one of their series is in the hands of fans to buy a shoddy port of a game that they're not even publishing themselves.
SE doesn't publish their own games on Nintendo platforms in the US though. This series also isn't Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest or something, this is a series that hasn't sold enough in their eyes so far.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Does the game have any noticeable load times? Just asking in order to decide whether to install on Switch system storage (might be a bit faster) or SD card.

I don't understand people who defend the original's control system so much btw. To me it was a chaotic mess. So much that I pretty much ignored controlling my partner.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
SE also means it when the make these threats. We ain't got shit from the Chrono series after telling people that they didn't buy enough copies of CT DS.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God I hope this game does well so they will consider a sequel, but they completely wrecked the controls from what I can tell. I really wish they werent betting the series on this game...

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SE doesn't publish their own games on Nintendo platforms in the US though. This series also isn't Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest or something, this is a series that hasn't sold enough in their eyes so far.
and somehow people believe people buying this mobile port (which realistically has a very low ceiling for how much it'll sell, it already sold very little in japan, 15k in two weeks) will convince SE of all companies to allocate the budget and staff to make a full blown sequel for it?

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Does the game have any noticeable load times? Just asking in order to decide whether to install on Switch system storage (might be a bit faster) or SD card.

I don't understand people who defend the original's control system so much btw. To me it was a chaotic mess. So much that I pretty much ignored controlling my partner.

Almost no loading times. It's like a second at most

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
SE also means it when the make these threats. We ain't got shit from the Chrono series after telling people that they didn't buy enough copies of CT DS.
I remember people grilled SE for charging $40 for CT DS and TWEWY coming out around that time at $30 being the main point of comparison as to how they should've priced it.

Ten years later, now TWEWY's in the same position itself. Funny how things work.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's so weird this release still dropped traditional partner controls when the platform is fully suited to delivering them (unlike mobile). It really feels like a missed opportunity.

Oct 25, 2017

Even if controlling both partners was too hard, controlling Neku on his own was still a lot of fun. I beat the game at least 4 times before I learned how to control my partner as well.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Popping my head in to say the title comes off as super melodramatic and excessive, IMO.

If the series stops or has to be rebooted years down the line, Square only has themselves and their decisions to blame.

It's no player's fault and shaming people doesn't make the fanbase look any better to outsiders.

Oct 25, 2017
Popping my head in to say the title comes off as super melodramatic and excessive, IMO.

If the series stops or has to be rebooted years down the line, Square only has themselves and their decisions to blame.

It's no player's fault and shaming people doesn't make the fanbase look any better to outsiders.
It's a joke bruv.

Besides, the game is already not doing well in Japan.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

what "series"? people should just get over that idea and accept that twewy was a one-off thing. it got ported a bunch, but i really don't see SE making a sequel for it, no matter how much they tease or guilt people into buying the ports.

pariah164

Oct 25, 2017
Picking mine up in an hour, but tbh, the controls make me not want to play it. Thankfully, I still have my OG DS game.

Jailcat

May 19, 2018
Threatening the end of a series if you don't buy a remake of a game a bunch of people already played is a shitty sales practice. It's been 11 years since twewy so it's not like the fans had high hopes anyway. Gonna pass on this but I'll gladly buy twewy2 if they decide to make it.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
I'll cross post from the review thread:

I've been quarantined to the back room because I have the flu, so I bought this and fired it up.

I'm in love all over again. This will be the first time I replay the game from scratch (my 200 hours on the DS version were all on the same game file), so it's interesting to see how limited you are at the start of a new play through. At the same time, the level slider is there from the beginning and the shop missions positively cry out for me to hunt particular noise and farm them for drops.

The slider is also great for adding to the challenge. The bat boss actually killed me once while I attempted to beat him at level 2 and it makes large or fast enemies a threat again, in normal difficulty. Whenever I did that on the DS version, my pins and gear were endgame, so it wasn't nearly as dangerous. I'm liking what it did to the difficulty.

Vague memories of the postgame content of the DS version make me go off the beaten path a lot to hunt for those packages (not sure if they appear on a first play through - haven't found any yet) and my ears prick up every time I hear the distinctive pig noise music. Playing in handheld mode using headphones, so I noticed that when you scan in an area with pig noise, the oink will come from the direction the noise is hiding, which is a nice touch. Never noticed that in the original.

The new soundtrack is great - loving that they added variety to the menu music. Calling is my favourite track, but making you listen to it from the start 600 times as you opened the menu was as bad a decision as doing the same thing with the flying music from Xenoblade Chronicles X. Calling is an amazing song, but even amazing songs can get overplayed.

The art is gorgeous in high res, of course, though the NPC sprites were obviously done natively in DS pixel art and filtered, but that's the only blemish I'm seeing. It looks like how I remember it, rather than how it actually was.

The touch screen controls actually work pretty well so far, and the partner/sync system does have a certain rhythm to it. Probably won't get to try motion controls until much later down the track - handheld is my jam. I'm looking forward to getting sucked in for another 200 hours.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Having finished it with 100%, I always thought the game was one of the most overrated RPGs I've ever played.

It has nice music, an interesting artstyle, but the story and the controls were really, really bad.

If a sequel gets developed, I would hope that they revamp the entire combat system into something like the Mario RPG series, with different pins giving different type of attacks.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having finished it with 100%, I always thought the game was one of the most overrated RPGs I've ever played.

It has nice music, an interesting artstyle, but the story and the controls were really, really bad.

If a sequel gets developed, I would hope that they revamp the entire combat system into something like the Mario RPG series, with different pins giving different type of attacks.

The controls are the best thing about the game.

I wouldn't want one if they abandoned its identity like that.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's the OT!

Little click baity of a title tho. No need to guilt people into wanting to purchase it.

I will say I'm having a fun and nostalgic time with it.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
This is the definitive version. DS version had crappy controls. This one also has crappy controls, but it also has an option for good controls.

I nevers understood how people didn't get use to the dual control after an hour.

TWEWY it's my favorite DS game and probably my favorite game all around and I can totally see how confusing controlling botcharacters as the same time could be but if you stick with it for more than an hour it could click, if you keep playing , it made too much sense.

I don't have a switch but plan to buy one, this game is one I plan to have.

The extra new day/content is just as short as a regular day?

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I played for about 2 hours in handheld with a stylus. So far that seems like the best way to play and pretty similar to the ds. Docked was a mess.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I nevers understood how people didn't get use to the dual control after an hour.

TWEWY it's my favorite DS game and probably my favorite game all around and I can totally see how confusing controlling botcharacters as the same time could be but if you stick with it for more than an hour it could click, if you keep playing , it made too much sense.

I mean the old controls aren't enough to stop the game being a stone cold classic. I'm not really complaining about it.

It's just when talking about the best version, for me it's EASILY the mobile version (or hopefully the switch version, I haven't been home to play it yet).

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Despite everything, I'm still considering grabbing it for the weekend. It's that good. Newcomers should not hesitate to jump right in.

Gaiaknight

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first time im playing this game and after about 3 hours im enjoying it took me a litte bit to get used to the controls but after adjusting the sensitivity they work pretty well and i hope if the switch gets pikmin 4 it gets pointer controls as a option like the 3rd game did.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
what "series"? people should just get over that idea and accept that twewy was a one-off thing. it got ported a bunch, but i really don't see SE making a sequel for it, no matter how much they tease or guilt people into buying the ports.

TWEWY also has a phone game called "Live Remix" that was based in an alternate reality that had the Reaper's Game function differently. Players were assigned to groups of 20 and had to fight these ringleader Noise to survive the week. Before the service was shut down, it was slowly building to an interesting story...Coco was Neku's guide in the game and was determined to have him survive to the end of the game for some mysterious reason despite her being a Reaper. It was a slow-moving plotline and the player-base dropped really quickly because of it.

Unlike a lot of tap-to-win games, the gameplay was still very similar to Solo Remix but improved on some of mechanics that didn't translate well to a phone's touch commands. It was still very much a F2P game with needing to pull for pins and level them, but it was one of the better F2P games that came from SE at that time.

I'd say that constitutes calling it a series even though the game was terminated before the story really got anywhere.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017

I never got used to controlling the partner. Something about dividing my attention that way and having to switch from controlling the field on the bottom screen to playing a matching game on the top screen did my head in. I spent two hundred hours with my partners in auto (except maybe Joshua, who I'd keep in the air for some fights). The game was still amazing on DS, but it meant I never experienced the "tic toc" rhythm of the combat people reported until playing this version. Now it's just attack with your partner - see a flash - attack with a psych - see a flash - repeat. It's much easier.

The other thing is that the game is and was utter chaos if you didn't select your pins to complement one another controls-wise. That was true of the DS version and is true of the Switch port. Having five pins that all activated on tapping the lower screen was a recipe for the game registering your inputs incorrectly on DS and I don't see a clear way to fix that. I think this is why people may be down on the gesture controls (seems like endgame on higher difficulties, where you need to control the field really well, may be a lot less immediate using motion), but it isn't emphasised enough that the original was utter pandemonium if you chose your pins wrong.

The DS version is a cult classic, but hearing people whine about how they botched the controls makes it sound like the DS version controls were utterly perfect, their implementation unproblematic and their reception uncontroversial. None of these things were true. The controls were super complicated and could easily become a hot mess with the wrong setup. It would take a miracle for any discussion of this game not to devolve into a shouting match over how it controlled.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think we'll get a sequel. If Nomura wants to do it that badly.

SE seem to have got their pipeline issues of the last decade sorted.

Thing is a sequel will be on Switch, so people need to get over the original control scheme. If people refuse to buy a sequel because it's not a 2006 DS game then the series really is doomed.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If Square wanted to give this series a proper chance instead of milking its fans on yet another remake, they would never have launched this game in October.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017

Thing is a sequel will be on Switch, so people need to get over the original control scheme. If people refuse to buy a sequel because it's not a 2006 DS game then the series really is doomed.
The irony here is that the original turned a lot of people off precisely because of its quirky control scheme. I remember a good deal of grousing over how Neku could have controlled perfectly well using buttons and how shouting into the mic during that one fight was embarrassing (never mind that blowing on the mic worked just as well).

It isn't the same people complaining 12 years later, of course, but the arguments are similar.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

i doubt if a sequel happened people will expext the ds controls. those controls made sense on the DS, and also why the ports don't play as well.
i don't think nomura will go from directing kingdom hearts 3 and ff7 remake to work on a sequel to twewy. SE probably has bigger and more important projects lined up for him.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
All this guilt tripping to get me to buy this game is making me not want to buy it.

But I'll buy it.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TWEWY also has a phone game called "Live Remix" that was based in an alternate reality that had the Reaper's Game function differently. Players were assigned to groups of 20 and had to fight these ringleader Noise to survive the week. Before the service was shut down, it was slowly building to an interesting story...Coco was Neku's guide in the game and was determined to have him survive to the end of the game for some mysterious reason despite her being a Reaper. It was a slow-moving plotline and the player-base dropped really quickly because of it.

Unlike a lot of tap-to-win games, the gameplay was still very similar to Solo Remix but improved on some of mechanics that didn't translate well to a phone's touch commands. It was still very much a F2P game with needing to pull for pins and level them, but it was one of the better F2P games that came from SE at that time.

I'd say that constitutes calling it a series even though the game was terminated before the story really got anywhere.
you're right, but come on. that barely counts.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i doubt if a sequel happened people will expext the ds controls. those controls made sense on the DS, and also why the ports don't play as well.
i don't think nomura will go from directing kingdom hearts 3 and ff7 remake to work on a sequel to twewy. SE probably has bigger and more important projects lined up for him.
So Nomura likes to tackle many projects at once. To deal with issues like Versus XIII he now has directors working under him to manage day to day. So basically he's be perfectly able to whilst doing FF7. So no worries there.

The only problem would be the rest of the resource!