• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Metacritic: 78.
Opencritic: 77.

Polygon - Unscored

The DS version still stands out for all its quirks and oddities, and I even went back to see how I felt about it after playing the Switch version (it's still good). But if you're looking for a way to play The World Ends With You, maybe even for the first time, or you're aching for a new twist on your favorite gem, Final Remix is as good a port as you can make without strapping a second screen to the Switch.

Eurogamer - Unscored

Is Final Remix the definitive edition of The World Ends With You? I'm not entirely convinced - the battle system, stripped back slightly as it is, still works wonderfully, but it doesn't sing the same strange harmony of the dual-screen original. Still, for what's missing, there's an awful lot in its place. The artwork, spiky, spunky and full of that same ebullient attitude that made so many of us fall in love with Tokyo at the turn of the century, looks exceptional now it's been remastered and given more room to breathe, and the same can be said for the soundtrack, full of that same attitude and fleshed out to beautiful effect.

Destructoid - 6/10

My opinion of The World Ends With You: Final Remix is one of indifference. All the consideration that went into making the original a compound piece of craftsmanship, inseparable from the device on which you played it, is absent. In its place is a more user-friendly experience, and while I'm not against taking a traditionally difficult game and making it more accessible -- something Square Enix already did when it ported the title to mobile devices -- Final Remix's failure to utilize the extent of the Switch hardware shows a lack of understanding as to why so many people consider the Nintendo DS original to be the masterpiece it is.

Nintendo World Report - 6/10

On paper, The World Ends With You would have been perfect for a Switch adaptation, and it still could be. There hasn't been any indication of post-launch updates to fix the controls, but in a less cynical view we can be glad they're not selling Another 7 Days as a separate expansion. But Final Remix is something rare: the Switch port of a classic game that would have been better served happening on 3DS if they wanted to replicate the original experience.

IGN - 78/100

Because of the Switch's two modes, The World Ends With You: Final Remix is simultaneously a good port and a bad one. Using handheld mode and touchscreen controls, Final Remix holds up as a great JRPG with tons of depth. It packs all the flair and charm seen in the DS original, along with some new incentives to keep playing after the story wraps. But the moment you dock the Switch and try to use motion controls TWEWY becomes a pain to play, which eliminates the fun of the new cooperative mode. The rearranged and remixed soundtrack is great and the story delights, but if you've played before you may want to think twice before double (or triple) dipping.

Vandal - 80/100

Pocket Gamer UK - 8/10

If you've been down to Shibuya before though, it's unclear why you should return. A new chapter is all well and good, but it's only the truly hardcore fans who will want to stump up full price for that small offering.

RPGamer - 4/5

For those who missed The World Ends with You originally, the Nintendo Switch version is a great way to see what all the fuss was about. Its gameplay, style, characters, and story are still perfectly fresh even ten years following its original release. Meanwhile, those wanting to try it again will find plenty to like about its adjusted gameplay and particularly some of the new ideas brought about in A New Day. The new conclusion doesn't offer the answers to story questions that existing fans will have, but if Final Remix provides the success the game deserves, perhaps those answers will come.

IGN Italy - 88/100

A game full of charm and attention to detail. In the face of a combat system never 100% accurate remains a solid and exciting experience. Definitely recommended for those who have never had the opportunity to try the original, the title has something to say even to those who want to dive back into the world of Neku.

Digitally Downloaded - 4.5/5

The World Ends With You's strengths are in its narrative, which is genuinely different and consistently interesting, and the verve and style with which it pulls it all off. There's reason for existing fans to play the game again, because it has an all-new chapter to work through, and there's certainly a reason for people who haven't previously played it to give it a go, because to this day, nothing else has quite managed to offer what The World Ends With You offers.

Nintenderos - 9.6/10

Final Remix adds improvements in the graphics section, in addition to including new content and the possibility of playing it in TV or tabletop mode. It has an interesting story, a fantastic soundtrack and a very original gameplay, although it may take us a while to adapt to the game system on Switch.

Last edited:

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Curious about the controls...

Edit. As expected... They're a mess.

Soo soo disappointing. They should have just added in proper button only controls.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Solid reviews! I know the limitations will keep me from ever playing this though, so not for me. I play my switch 99% docked, which sounds like a terrible way to play.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Curious to see how this ends up. I cancelled my preorder after I saw some concerns I would have with the controls.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Of all games I wonder why they didn't make this for the 3Ds, or at least a port. Seems like a wasted opportunity.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
I hope it doesn't bomb. Somebody leaked the ending from the new content and
it ends in a huge cliffhanger :/

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
Despite the concern for no original control scheme, I'm still super excited to replay this game. One of my favorite games of all time, no doubt.

Pepin

Oct 27, 2017
London
Fandom: 3.5/5

The World Ends With You on Switch is as frustrating as it is brilliant. Whilst the story beats and core gameplay have fairly aged gracefully, despite the shiny HD sheen, the overall presentation of the game looks less flattering in 2018. It's odd – in a game that's very much the 'how do you do fellow kids?' of Japanese role-playing games, the story is the one element that doesn't feel dated.

Simple updates – like the ability to use Joy-Con controls in handheld mode, or more new additions besides re-skinned areas – could have easily made this the definitive version of the game. But as it stands, Final Remix feels like a bit of a missed opportunity.

While it's an undeniably attractive package for anyone wanting to sample this cult hit for the first time, when it comes to fans revisiting this meta, self-aware RPG with a nostalgic glint in their eyes, Final Remix may not live up to expectations.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I see people already have their minds made up to be negative about this port regardless of what any review says

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck didn't you just keep the button controls, square. Why did you have to go and muck everything up by changing outright what you could have simply added to?

Shame, I was excited for it.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, it still has touchscreen controls in portable mode? For some reason, I thought it was motion-only now.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like, akin to its DS beginnings, handheld is the way to play the game. Docked seems less than ideal according to a couple of reviews.

I'll grab it next week.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Why did they mess with the old controls? Why didn't they just include them as an option?

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I thought about making this thread myself, but knew I likely wouldn't be able to keep up with the reviews all day.

Never forget.

ss-004.jpg

Why would I want to touch the screen on the Switch? It doesn't even have a stylus.
The same reason you touch the screen on your phone?

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
How are the controls if I basically only play my Switch handheld? Are they on par with the original?

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Why did they mess with the old controls? Why didn't they just include them as an option?
My guess for this is the issues in handheld mode, although that still doesn't explain why they didn't keep them for docked mode. In handheld mode, you'd have to hold the system by one joycon, which would be too much weight on that joycon's rail.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly not sure how people would expect a button control scheme to work for Neku without redesigning the whole game.
Of all games I wonder why they didn't make this for the 3Ds, or at least a port. Seems like a wasted opportunity.

Yup 3DS and Wii U were perfect for TWEWY.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, only way to control is with motion controls? Fuck that shit. I was going to try this but not anymore.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Already down to 78 metacritic - I'll be sticking around to see the impact crater how low it goes.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
First time playing the game, spent more than 20 hours. Controls are ass even in handheld mode, it feels like you are playing Fruit Ninja but swipe randomly hoping for the best. I have to pick pins which are easier to use, not the ones which are more powerful. For me it's a mess but lots of reviewers seem to like them.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, as 99.99% handheld/"tabletop" (separated joycons while I play in bed, though I've done that less lately) this is fine enough. I do wish it had the non-touch movement when otherwise using touch controls, but I get it.

Just hope I enjoy it as much in general as I did the first time around.

The iOS version redesigned the combat so they'd have to do that again and that's a reasonable enough obstacle, though disappointing in some ways.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Motion or touch, baybay.

Inb4 Square blames lack of a sequel on poor sales instead of their own laziness.

Accurate.
Yeah, they have nothing to blame this on but their own mishandling of the franchise. And it all started in 2012 with that hyped countdown for a mobile port and soundtrack release, teaser image for years with nothing, and then this.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if this game sells well, there's possibly a chance because I know lots of people have been like "Oh I've always meant to play this game someday", and won't know the difference between the DS version and this, but I'm not hopeful.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Who the hell made that design decision? I swear some companies are run by morons

It probably wasn't even a design decision, just finances. It seems like it's a port of the mobile app with new story content and music, rather than a remaster/remake of the original DS game.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only plan to play in portable so I'll get it, shame that docked seems to be a mess but with the nature of this port it would have been a worse experience on the big screen in any situation.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Who the hell made that design decision? I swear some companies are run by morons

The game's combat is designed around touch input, both in the DS version and the iOS version which became this.

You're asking for a different game, basically. And I don't think it would have been bad to support buttons in some way, but it wouldn't be quite the same thing.