• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I know I am going be called crazy, silly and naive because the status of obvious and intelligent choice in favour of the PC master race is pretty clear in the dedicated community.

The advantages of gaming on PC are pretty clear: better prices, customization, use of any controller you want, compatibility, etc. etc. I currently have a PC with a GTX 1060 and at this point it is pretty clear that the next consoles are going to be way more capable than this. But you know what? I don´t feel like upgrading my graphics card. I don´t want to spend probably what the next systems are going to cost for just one component of my PC. I know this is like an investment, but at this point, and after gaming on PC for some years, I kinda want to go back to the convenience of sitting on the sofa, playing on the big TV and just trusting the developers have made the best work possible taking into account the system capabilities. Call me lazy, if you want, but I think it is that I am old enough to see something special in a product that is made to run and enjoy videogames.

That´s my take.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean if you feel better going for consoles do it, but I play games on my PC on my sofa, on a big TV and also trusting that the developers have made their best work possible (lmao) so those are weird af reasons

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
If you already have a gaming PC you dont spend what a console cost, because you just sell your old card and buy a new one.

Also you can play you PC from the couch. What is this, how are people still saying this?

OP
OP
lunanto

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I mean if you feel better going for consoles do it, but I play games on my PC on my sofa, on a big TV and also trusting that the developers have made their best work possible (lmao) so those are weird af reasons
I have a pretty big PC that I can´t move to the living room and my internet is pretty awful to use Steam Link or anything like that.
With that sentence I meant no having to touch any graphical setting for example to adjust the performance to my rig.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
It's funny you mention convenience being one of the reasons you want to go back to consoles because for me convenience is probably the biggest reason I'm sticking with PC as my primary platform. I'm on my computer all the time anyway so I like how I'm able to make a couple clicks and start playing a game. Playing on consoles feels like a whole "thing" in comparison to that for me.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Just do what's best for you. For you it might be consoles and that's fine.

Personally the games I play most aren't even on consoles so there's no chance for me.

Dino1980

Apr 22, 2019
Im going with consoles. Would love to buy a gaming pc, but last time I was tinkering more with settings than playing my games.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
source.gif

no

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
I'll just buy a next gen console (probably PS5 and whatever from Nintendo) in 4-5 years from now, play several exclusives, and then sell it.

I did that on the last gen and current gen.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hell no, I'm waiting for the new Nvidia GPUs and then upgrading. The 1060 has carried me this far.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
I have a pretty big PC that I can´t move to the living room and my internet is pretty awful to use Steam Link or anything like that.
With that sentence I meant no having to touch any graphical setting for example to adjust the performance to my rig.
both amd and nvidia have a system where they adjust it for you. You can even set it to do it automatically.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
No. I just want to read your opinions and see if someone is in the same boat.

I ll do whatever I want :P
Well it sounds very much like the benefits don't outweigh the hassle for you, so I say go for it.

I'm a PC gamer for life, but I'll readily admit that the upgrade cycle gets very tiresome and expensive.

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I'm sticking with PC, but that's a valid choice I suppose.
The thing is though, you don't necessarily have to upgrade after all. I'm still on a 970 right now and its been holding me pretty well. It shows its age sure, but for the majority of games as long as they aren't big AAA stuff it holds its own still with new releases. I don't think you need to worry too much about the next gen if you don't mind making compromises lowering graphics settings and the like. Though I'll admit I'm planning on upgrading my PC soon myself. Not sure if I wanna build a totally new system or maybe just get a new graphics card and some more RAM.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I'm very much considering an XsX to get the most out of my C9 4K TV. I'd probably have to spend at least as much on my current 1060 + 2600 PC to bring it up to console-spec, and yet I still feel l would be playing games at better-looking settings on the console anyway.

SpookyHelix

Nov 4, 2019
I'm torn between building a new PC to replace my horribly outdated tower this year and getting an Xbox Series X a year or two after release, or getting the XSX at launch and waiting for the PC.

I loved having a quality PC, but I've always had more friends on console and enjoy not having to spend more time at a desk when that's what I do at work. But since Microsoft seems to be pushing for greater integration between their Xbox ecosystem and the PC landscape, in addition to having next-gen games playable on the Xbox One, I think I might go with option 1.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sticking with PC, but that's a valid choice I suppose.
The thing is though, you don't necessarily have to upgrade after all. I'm still on a 970 right now and its been holding me pretty well. It shows its age sure, but for the majority of games as long as they aren't big AAA stuff it holds its own still with new releases. I don't think you need to worry too much about the next gen if you don't mind making compromises lowering graphics settings and the like. Though I'll admit I'm planning on upgrading my PC soon myself. Not sure if I wanna build a totally new system or maybe just get a new graphics card and some more RAM.
It also heavily depends on what resolution you're playing at. My monitor is "only" 1080p and that's just fine for me at the moment so that helps somewhat.

OP
OP
lunanto

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Also, with what Phil revealed the other day, we can think that Xbox Series X is going to perform closer to the high end GPUs, right?

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Now that the consoles are basically just PC hardware, it seems like you/d just be opting for the lesser experience.

In-home streaming uses your own network, it's not dependent on your internet speed.

I kinda want to go back to the convenience of sitting on the sofa, playing on the big TV
I play PC games from my sofa all the time. Even at my desk I game with a controller more than with a mouse.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Hell no. I have a RTX 2080, and it wouldn't make sense to drop all that just for a console. That's crazy.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Consoles may be more capable, but I expect 30fps as usual so I don't think it's as simple as such and such console is more powerful.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It depends on prices of future PC parts & how well they perform, but since i play at 1440p mostly on PC, i don't feel the need to upgrade, i feel like most PC gamers playing at 1080p on say a GTX 1070 shouldn't worry either about next gen consoles which will target 4K.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I'll do both, as always. There are games I prefer on either system. You'll never see me playing Two Point Hospital on consoles for example. And I can't get myself playing JRPGs on my PC.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm considering it, mainly because I built a $2500 PC to play all the new releases back in 2018 and yet all I play is CSGO. I have a bunch of games just sitting installed that have never been launched because I tell myself "I'm gonna play Sekiro today" and then my hand just wanders over to CSGO and clicks play instead.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I was considering the opposite: playing more games on PC after having a very good experience with Temtem. But after buying Sonic Generations on Steam and trying to make it work for about 4 hours with no success: the platform is not for me and the infinite retrocompatibility PC Gamers always brag about is not so seamless as ones would like to think. I mean, I bought Sonic Generations legitimately, Steam was supposed to install everything I needed for the game to run withou much of my interference, yet there I was missing quite a bunch of DLLs. I downloaded them and solved that problem, but then the Config Tool didn't open and not a single fix I found online worked... I mean, the game is not that old (8 years) and it's already a bitch to run on Windows 10. I just asked for a refund and went on with my life to never buy another game on PC again.

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
I am.

I got a PC in late 2014 as I didn't think the launch last-gen consoles cut the mustard. So I got quite a beefy PC and have upgraded the GPU a couple of times since, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth now and if it's going to compete with the next-gen consoles I'll need to get a better GPU than what I've got now and a 4K Monitor which'll set me back around £800-£950 and 1 next-gen console (I see no need in getting an Xbox when I've got my PC) will be £350-£500 + games so it's a bit of a no brainer for me really.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, just gonna continue doing what I'm doing, which is having both a capable PC and array of consoles. I like the freedom of choice, but I also don't take that freedom for granted. My advice has always been to go with what has the games you want to play the most.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Consoles are designed to fit in your living room furniture. PC Cases are not.
Maybe they should think about releasing PC-2 in some kind of small form-factor case that would fit, instead of these giant towers you're forced to buy. They could call it the Home Theater PC.

Oct 25, 2017
I always oscillate back and forth at different periods. HDR support is still trash on PC, so I'm leaning towards consoles for the next couple years.

Then it'll be time for a system rebuild of my PC anyway.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
Consoles are designed to fit in your living room furniture. PC Cases are not.
www.resetera.com

Small Form Factor "Gaming" PC Thread (AKA HTPC) OT

Greetings Resetera, I have something to report. There is a lack of information regarding small form factor PC's on this forum and seemingly the internet at large despite me (and as I've noticed several others) having an interest in it. You can find scattered pockets of interested people all over...

Personally I prefer big case for that airflow but choice is great isn't it?

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Nah. Ill cop a ps5 eventually but I just got a new PC that's prob about xsx equivalent. I have the option to run everything at 60fps and never have to settle for 30fps, and thats enough for me. Im never going back to 30fps unless its a ps5 exclusive and I have no choice.

optimus

Banned
Feb 5, 2020
I can see if you are really a mostly exclusive AAA gamer why a lot of PC gamers will move over the consoles. The gap will probably be a lot smaller than its ever been.

But there are so many amazing medium sized, and indie games now on Steam that never come to consoles, and the ones that do come so much later.

I'm actually considering moving to PC just so I can play Steam games.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I have Game Pass for my gaming PC so I don't have any need for a Series X. I'm not worried about picking up PS5 until well after launch since I'm not particularly invested in any of their IP. I can wait a year & buy it on the next Black Friday when all of their launch games will be like $20 or less. Only thing I'd buy day 1 is a beefed up Switch, especially if there's still gamestops around to do a trade in for it.