• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 25, 2019
London
I'm probably going to make the same move. I'm no longer as heavily invested into gaming as a hobby and don't need to maintain a powerful PC. I'm much more interested in playing a handful of games that I really enjoy, by myself or with my friends who are primarily console gamers.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
PC Gaming has made huge strides in this department, but unfortunately it's still not quite there, especially if you like to dip into older titles.
There's nothing preventing you playing old PC games on a TV while sitting on a comfy couch.

If you're playing old games, you may have some difficulty if you're trying to do it all with a controller - especially if it's not a Steam Controller.
But many games are completely fine if you set them up with a keyboard and mouse first and then use a controller from that point onward - especially with Steam Input.

And there's nothing preventing you from just using a keyboard and mouse with a good wireless lapboard, or a smaller wireless keyboard with an integrated touchpad.
Corsair's K63 wireless lapboard is my preference for that, as I wanted an integrated solution that is easy to move around rather than a separate keyboard/mouse/board, and while there are smaller options, those were too much of a compromise on functionality (mousing area too small, poor wrist support).
indexvfkki.jpg

Because muh high fps and graphics.
People should just find games fun […]
Games are a lot more fun for me at high frame rates and using a mouse & keyboard.
I don't do it to feel "superior" to anyone else playing the same game on console with a controller. I do it because it's a lot more fun and makes the experience a lot more immersive for me.
In many games, low performance or having to use a controller can make me very motion sick - which completely ruins any chance of having fun.

Mirabai

Nov 4, 2017
Nope - High FPS gaming is still king.
The PS5/New Xbox are fine for the next 1-2 years but after that - its back to the 30 FPS "lagfest".

Aug 13, 2019
Nah. I'm not going to get an XBOX because that'd be a redundant purchase and my PC is already decent. And I may not get a Playstation 5 if Sony decides to start releasing their exclusives on PC

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
There's nothing preventing you playing old PC games on a TV while sitting on a comfy couch.

If you're playing old games, you may have some difficulty if you're trying to do it all with a controller - especially if it's not a Steam Controller.
But many games are completely fine if you set them up with a keyboard and mouse first and then use a controller from that point onward - especially with Steam Input.

And there's nothing preventing you from just using a keyboard and mouse with a good wireless lapboard, or a smaller wireless keyboard with an integrated touchpad.
Corsair's K63 wireless lapboard is my preference for that, as I wanted an integrated solution that is easy to move around rather than a separate keyboard/mouse/board, and while there are smaller options, those were too much of a compromise on functionality (mousing area too small, poor wrist support).
indexvfkki.jpg

Games are a lot more fun for me at high frame rates and using a mouse & keyboard.
I don't do it to feel "superior" to anyone else playing the same game on console with a controller. I do it because it's a lot more fun and makes the experience a lot more immersive for me.
In many games, low performance or having to use a controller can make me very motion sick - which completely ruins any chance of having fun.
I was a PC gamer last gen and I'm a console gamer now. I see no relevant difference between the two to me. So that's that.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Nah I'm doing to opposite, gonna build a PC very soon, will probably go for a 1080Ti (don't care about RTX & 4K)

PS4 Pro was a mega disappointment for me personally and I just don't see myself investing in consoles again.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I was a PC gamer last gen and I'm a console gamer now. I see no relevant difference between the two to me. So that's that.
Okay, but that doesn't mean the reasons people have for preferring PC gaming is because they want to feel superior to those that don't.
You can just say "I tried PC gaming and it wasn't for me" instead of writing posts in a mocking tone like "Because muh high fps and graphics. People should just find games fun […]"
You don't have to enter PC gaming threads if it doesn't interest you. People enjoying PC gaming is not a slight on your experience.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I probably have around 1,300 games on my PC.
I'm not going to leave that behind and drop $500+ on a console, plus yearly online paywall, while having a tiny game library.

I'll just upgrade my GPU and blow past Series X/PS5.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. I have consoles, but PC is where it's at. Just got a 4K HDR tv and I still prefer the smoothness of turning my games up to ultra settings on 2K on a gsync display. It just looks and feels so good. Not to mention that I can play on my couch just as easily

MrFortyFive

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I built my first PC about 8 years ago. The GPU has been replaced since then and is perfectly fine for new games on medium-highish settings at 1080p. The CPU is really starting to show its age. The new consoles are going to trounce it pretty handily. I've gone back and forth over the years using consoles or the PC more at any given time, but for the next couple years I'll likely be primarily console gaming. The cost of building a PC that can substantially outperform the XSX (and assuming PS5 is reasonably close to that level of performance as well) is just too high. That, BC, and Gamepass make the XSX a really good value proposition right now. I'll inevitably pick up a PS5 for exclusives at some point too.

The PC will get a rebuild sooner or later, but for right now I'm perfectly happy using it primarily as an indie and/or backlog machine and using the upcoming consoles to play AAA games and whatever Gamepass/GWG/PS+ has to offer.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
Unless consoles have M+K support on every title and 95% of the games I play are released day one then absolutely not. Plus console games are too expensive for my tastes.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
No. I'll continue doing what I always do. Build an absurdly powerful PC that will be my main machine and also buy any console that has good exclusives.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
I just can't justify both gamepass ultimate and ps plus and most of my console friends prefer Xbox. Unless ps5 really knocks things out of the park with games that Interest me enough or make there online service free idk.

Ok, I can understand wanting to play with friends. If crossplay is standard next gen you may not even need the XSX to play with your friends.

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
Only thing I am considering is adding a couch and TV to my office so that I can enjoy laying on a couch and playing an game rather than a computer chair.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
nope.
My group of friends are mostly PC + Switch users anyways. I'm one of the select few with a PS4 (my rl friends list on it is pretty barren...)
My setup currently is couch gaming PC build with my TV acting as my gaming monitor (will probably pick a good 144+hz monitor this year and new 2020 oled tv).
I don't mind using GeForce Experience/Auto Detect to set my graphic settings for me sometimes...so that's where too lazy to set up settings come in lol

I use consoles for exclusives (or in Switch's case nindies as well). Finally working through my backlog on PS4(HZD so goood) as its a dry season right now before Animal Crossing. I may even end up holding off on getting a next gen depending how many exclusives to PS5/Series X are announced to release at launch

Last edited:

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
You know it is possible to like what you like, but it does seem like you have the need to justify it, which shouldn't be needed.
Just go with what works for you, or when unsure try one out and change up later.

For all your convenience and talk of comfy couch / big TV, that's all what I am doing really conveniently with my PC and ties into so many reasons why I'm sticking with PC as my primary place to game. There are plenty of options for folks will to trust devs with settings also, which I occasionally use for convenience, but I definitely lean the other way most of the time and love having that flexibility - choosing where and how to play, fidelity, performance, etc

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Why does it have to be one way or the other? Why can't we just buy both and enjoy them for there strengths and weakness? As long as people are gaming i could care less what platforms they are gaming on.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Get whatever fits your lifestyle and hits your "good enough for me" point. Nearly every major third party supports both at this point, Microsoft has moved towards putting their games on both, and Sony might be experimenting with doing the same. It's become less and less of an either/or situation (if it ever was, there's nothing stopping you from buying both, you don't need to buy everything at once).

Also, with what Phil revealed the other day, we can think that Xbox Series X is going to perform closer to the high end GPUs, right?

New GPU lineups are likely coming this year, and by time next gen really gets rolling in 2022 or so and we move past stuff that also has to run on a PS4 or whatever, we might be getting the next major lineups of GPUs after the 2020 ones.

The consoles appear to have perfectly fine hardware that will start off well enough, but the comparison many are making as far as GPUs is to nearly two year old stuff that'll be replaced soon (it's also why I don't think it's that crazy if the consoles can have a $500 MSRP for what they offer). I think some people get too concerned about whether consoles are competitive with the high end in a segment of the market where the bar is raised every 1-2 years, even though the audience and design goals/constraints for consoles and high end PCs aren't the same. Consoles are the baseline for a lot of games, they'll be fine even as better hardware becomes available for PCs.

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I'm currently selling the gaming PC I set up a few years back. Realized that I really only have time right now to focus on one system, and the simplicity of a console works for me. Also in a small apartment with no room for a computer desk!

Will definitely miss tinkering with the PC though, and I imagine I'll be back on the PC wagon once life calms down and I have some more free time.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I did this this last gen and it really resparked my love for games at the time (and again when buying a Switch). Bar a few games (looking at you Disco Elysium) I don't really feel like I've missed out on much. I plan to go back to PC in a couple of years but for now am happy with what's been offered. My two favourite games of the gen are Bloodborne and Death Stranding so generally been a good time.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I spent $400 on my 5700 XT. I think I'll be alright. I get all the consoles anyway, so no worries on my part.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Also, with what Phil revealed the other day, we can think that Xbox Series X is going to perform closer to the high end GPUs, right?
they perform at the level of the high end GPU's of 2018 & 19.
the advantage of pc though is that the high end GPUs the consoles are built on will be closer to a mid-ranger by the time the new models of GPUs are released this year. It will only change comparatively as the years go on between generations.
Price is an advantage in consoles favor, but also for those that want the best of the best its still in the hands of PC.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
My plan is to upgrade my computer when the consoles start to feel old. If it's like last gen, that won't take very long.

JeRzYzFyNeSt

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Console all day good choice..
PC is mostly for ppl that arent satisfied with the games current settings.
i think Consoles has better looking games anyway.
PC may have better resolution but graphics are pretty much the same when running the same game :)

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
I got to this place a few years ago. Screen tearing was becoming an issue with PC on TV, struggling to sync up controllers and constantly trying to tweak fps was anxiety producing.

For many people these little hacks ARE the joy of PC, and no knock on people that can love that. But for my very very limited game time (two kid life sucks up all but 2-3 hours a week) I decided to go back to console. I'm ok now to pay a premium and not quite get the "best" experience.

Meech

Oct 29, 2017
Nah. I love PC gaming too much. It will remain my primary gaming platform. Though I may get a PS5 to accompany my rig.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
I've just started to love my PC for gaming but there's no doubt the new consoles will leave it in the dust. So I'll be jumping ship for a few years and then buying a new PC mid-cycle as I did this time around.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I'll buy the consoles at launch, it's the moment in which they have the best price/performance ratio, but eventually I'll build a PC that obliterates them.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I am. Been a PC gamer for 15+ years, Steam library over 1000 games. But just bought a Xbox One X and plan to get a Series X when it releases later this year. I have a child on the way (2 more months) and just do not want to deal with PC gaming's issues. I love PC Gaming, and believe it to be better than console, but it does take more 'work', and I just dont have the energy anymore.

I went with Xbox instead of Playstation because of their virtualization environment and what it allows them to do with back-compat. Coming from PC the ability to play older games is huge for me, and Xbox seems to offer that the best.

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone is different and has different priorities so sure at the beginning of the gen the new machines are as close as they get to higher end PC gaming so they look like the most attractive time to switch.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I do want to start a new build eventually, but I opted to get an Xbox One X this generation which blows my current PC out of the water, so I'm okay with holding out until I have a more pragmatic reason to upgrade my computer.

MBABuddha

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
Something that hasn't been mentioned is that this is the first generation in a while where consoles will (in theory) have an exclusive advantage over PC: little to no loading. If the rumors are correct both PS5 and XBSX will be using Nvme storage to eliminate loading in large open-world environment, allow multiple game suspend states, etc. PC developers will still have to cater to traditional platter drives for the foreseeable future.

Oct 27, 2017
Something that hasn't been mentioned is that this is the first generation in a while where consoles will (in theory) have an exclusive advantage over PC: little to no loading. If the rumors are correct both PS5 and XBSX will be using Nvme storage to eliminate loading in large open-world environment, allow multiple game suspend states, etc. PC developers will still have to cater to traditional platter drives for the foreseeable future.
Why do you think this is a console exclusive?

Kace

Feb 10, 2020
the system
I mean .. no, but I will get whichever console is set up to have the best exclusives and if nintendo has something new

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I built a gaming pc when the Pro came out, and ended up going back to consoles with the one x. I don't see myself playing or building a pc for a long time. Just prefer consoles.

I might consider trying a laptop for some lite gaming of oldish games, but that's about it.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Because muh high fps and graphics.
People should just find games fun, all this talk about "Superior" experience is extremely tiresome.
muh high fps and graphics are what drives AAA industry and new consoles and just technology forward. metro exodus, rdr 2, would not be as impactful experiences without those visuals and technology driving them. AND PC is just another device that makes those experiences even better

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
PC will remain my primary platform. The fact I can access all of my steam library gives me a feeling that my investment in the platform will not be invalidated because of new hardware. I have top hardware in my PC and won't spare any cash when it comes to upgrades. Though I seriously doubt that this will be a problem since PC hardware tends to keep going. In a couple of years, next gen hardware will be mid range to low range hardware. So maybe wait a few years if you want a much better experience on consoles?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I predict this gen will be the first console gen EVER (since my first IBM PC in 1993) where I never invest heavily (I.e. buy many games) in consoles and each year of the gen game mostly on PC, but it remains to be seen.

consoles finally are (somewhat) weak PCs.

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
Dude just play whatever you like, get whatever you like.

In all honesty, me personally? This generation is when I finally came to accept that I like gaming on a *gasp* laptop.

Legit, I own a PS4, I own a desktop, and neither of them felt at home for me. 360/PS3 gen I used a laptop, but this generation I got a desktop instead.

Finally this past August I caved and bought a new laptop with an RTX 2060 and I love it. I've finally accepted that hey, yknow what? I think this is just how I roll. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯