• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Also : the team responsible for the port left the game in this state after the release and disappeared. The game ran only once on my computer. Never again (using Win98 compatibility mode, eh ? Didn't tried it but won't do it anyway, this port is pure garbage).
I think Durante made patch for it? And apparently GOG version is somewhat better as well.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's mentioned often as a pretty horrible version of the game. Still that version sold me on the franchise. It has flaws yeah, but it's still a perfectly playable game imo.

Oh, certainly, and I enjoyed the game on PS3. But that first big patch made some big improvements and I never played it pre-patch.

I imagine pre-patch a lot of people didn't get far because of how bad it was.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
I really think this is stretching but

Rocket League with KB+M (pc) is purposefully gimping yourself. Playing like that for over a year then switching to a controller....my GOD I felt like piccolo taking off his heavy ass armor, I was sandbagging it the whole time

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
X-men vs Street Fighter on PS1 vs the Saturn/Arcade version. Remember being so hyped for it when I got it, then realized it lost the tag in feature. Same thing for the PS1 MVC1, but I knew better by then and got the DC version instead.

PS1 MVC1 is even worse than the preceding two Vs games in my opinion, especially if you liked in Europe and had 50Hz PAL releases of the games. MVC ran incredibly slow when I played the game, when doing air combos the game actually slows down very noticeably (hard to hammer home just how slow) to make it super easy to land each blow of the combo, where as the DC/Arcade versions were lightning fast by comparison. It was a mess. Add on the lack of proper tag, animation, load times etc. that the previous Vs games suffered from on top.

And as has already been mentioned in the thread, SFII was awful on most computers at the time. The Amiga port of SFII really wasn't any better in many regards. It looked nicer sure, but it was over 4 disk so load times were usually minutes for one fight. And trying to play the game on a two button joystick made it basically unplayable.

And speaking of unplayable - Final Fight for the Spectrum felt completely unplayable for me when I played it somewhat recently. Could barely move or attack anything. Which is a pretty huge problem for a scrolling beat em up!

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Borderlands 2 on Vita, Jak and Daxter on Vita.

Oh, and Dante's inferno on PSP. It was a buggy and unfinished mess.

Vita version of Jak and Daxter =( Capped at 20fps...

Jak-and-Daxter-The-Precursor-Legacy-758x426.jpg

The handheld versions of game are almost always the worst version by default, but certainly there are some ports that are so fucked up that they deserve recognition in this thread, while other ports I think are a miracle of engineering that they even got them running.

Jak and Daxter is in the former category, Borlerlands 2 is in the latter, IMO.

But while we are on the subject we could talk about God Of War Collection on Vita.

81F0bDVrSYL.jpg

It's certainly the worst version of the games. On the other hand, the performance isn't any worse than the highly-regarded PSP games.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus is another consideration.
3788612_2caa9328-ca40-11e3-9e5d-e78f4908a8c2.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus

Further broke the balancing of the game from the OG sigma with even more blue essence drops, cheat items added, stupid cheat effects added to costumes making them unusable for serious players, horrid forced gyro aiming (seriously it's the worst implementation I've ever used) that makes a certain part of the game a massive pain in the ass, 30fps, input guessing added to combos due to 30fps is pretty wonky, etc

I still mess around with it though as it's fun to screw around in mission mode while chilling in bed or whatever.

yeah I had a blast with the whole "gee whiz" effect of playing ninja gaiden on a handheld in bed, but i finished normal mode and that was that.

I'm glad the new accessories look like they were designed 5 minutes before the game went gold. if they actually looked cool, i'd be pissed instead of just dismissive of them lol

This thing, however:
It's certainly the worst version of the games. On the other hand, the performance isn't any worse than the highly-regarded PSP games.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus is another consideration.
3788612_2caa9328-ca40-11e3-9e5d-e78f4908a8c2.jpg

probably shouldn't have been shipped. I don't even want to know what performance was like on Mentor and MNM, it was not worth finishing on Normal. Honestly, I feel like it's a glimpse into how the PS3 version would've performed if it had NG2 360 gore. I'm still convinced the purple mist was a technical performance decision but presented as a ratings-related consideration so they didn't have to publicly bash the ps3 while giving their reasoning for taking out blood.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 4 PS2. The worst version of the game, but still an incredible port. First version after original GC release which added a lot of extra content including an entire full Ada story.

maxresdefaultoqscl.jpg

3055496-6840146604-re78s1r.jpg

los32.jpg

gallery_278824_921_58ehs40.jpg

banter

Jan 12, 2018
It's crazy looking at the many bad arcade ports on microcomputers of the day...to be fair, the devs that ported them were generally given little time and certainly no access to source code, leaving them to just approximate what they saw on a cabinet.

Makes it all the more impressive when they turn out as well as the Chase HQ Spectrum port did

Alternatively, there's Street Fighter II on Speccy:

But frankly I'd hesitate to imagine any better could've been done on the hardware. Less excusable is the Game Boy port which runs obscenely poorly:

Shame as I love the GB adaptations of the music. In contrast, Killer Instinct turned out pretty well on the same hardware

I'll see your street fighter 2 on gameboy and raise you a mortal kombat. I had the misfortune of owning this one. Ran at about 5fps and had THE worst input lag.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Yeah this one was crazy when I went from the PS2 version to the Xbox version it was a night and day difference. Xbox had Normal Mapping, PS2 had what Ubisoft called Geotexturing. The levels were cut down in size but the things that baffled me is they gave the PS2 an exclusive kill move and really good water effects that rippled appropriately. Not to mention a glass effect that bends around the object.

I was never into Splinter Cell, so I never played the games, but HOLY SHIT! The difference is insane for consoles of the same gen.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not so sure RE4 PS2 is worse than the Ubisoft PC version. The PC version had this really ugly sterile took to it, plus some technical issues as a result of being a quick and dirty PC port iirc. PS2 version on a CRT still at least retained the atmosphere.

I was never into Splinter Cell, so I never played the games, but HOLY SHIT! The difference is insane for consoles of the same gen.

The power difference between the two consoles was huuuuge. It's not always such a dramatic difference with multi-plat games but there was still always perceptible differences with Xbox coming out on top aside from a couple one-off cases iirc.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I am surprised no one has mentioned Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis for GBA. They took what should have been a simple port of Sonic the Hedgehog 1, and ruined the frame rate, music, physics, add added many bugs.

I realize ports are never as simple of "Press the 'port to x console' button" but they could have done much better than that.

Oct 30, 2017
Spiderman Web of Shadows (an open world game) is the second best Spiderman game, beaten only by Maximum Carnage (a side scrolling beat 'em up).

So someone had the amazing idea for the PS2 version of Web of Shadows to be a side scrolling beat 'em up. It's one of the worst games ever.

Wait the PS2 version is a side scroller? Dafuq? The PS3/360 version is legit great, but it looks like supreme ass, so I'm legit shocked that the PS2 version is an entirely different game, because I just assumed it was cross gen when I saw that PS2 case on the shelf a long long time ago.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not so sure RE4 PS2 is worse than the PC version. The PC version had this really ugly sterile took to it, plus some technical issues as a result of being a quick and dirty PC port iirc. PS2 version on a CRT still at least retained the atmosphere.

the original PC version was abhorrent, they fixed it with the later re-release for the most of it though.

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Performance is bad but gameplay is better.
Not in the least. First person "tiptoe" peeking while lying in the grass, which you can't do on 3DS, is way more useful then crouch walking, when the level design isn't designed to where you can really take advantage of it, i.e. you might as well just run around like a madmen, gets you spotted just as easily but at least you're faster.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah I had a blast with the whole "gee whiz" effect of playing ninja gaiden on a handheld in bed, but i finished normal mode and that was that.

I'm glad the new accessories look like they were designed 5 minutes before the game went gold. if they actually looked cool, i'd be pissed instead of just dismissive of them lol

This thing, however:

probably shouldn't have been shipped. I don't even want to know what performance was like on Mentor and MNM, it was not worth finishing on Normal. Honestly, I feel like it's a glimpse into how the PS3 version would've performed if it had NG2 360 gore. I'm still convinced the purple mist was a technical performance decision but presented as a ratings-related consideration so they didn't have to publicly bash the ps3 while giving their reasoning for taking out blood.
Oh yeah I made it through chapter 3 and never touched it again. Truely abysmal performance, probably the worst I've seen in a shipped game in over a decade.

Like you, I can't even imagine what mentor and MN looks like. I hate the word "unplayable" and the hyperbolic cockpiddle that comes along with it, but I can't see the game functioning at all over 10fps on mentor once the rocket launcher dudes start popping up in force, much less master Ninja. I imagine someone plat'd it, and man my heart goes out to the suffering those poor bastards had to go through to get it.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait the PS2 version is a side scroller? Dafuq? The PS3/360 version is legit great, but it looks like supreme ass, so I'm legit shocked that the PS2 version is an entirely different game, because I just assumed it was cross gen when I saw that PS2 case on the shelf a long long time ago.

Even the Wii one was openworld. PS2/PSP got this crap...

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
G8MzpVB.png

First and still the greatest gaming disappointment of my life.

Pac-Man 2600 is looked back on as a kitschy but still kinda charming relic of the past. People have become more kind to it over the decades, perhaps due to nostalgia.

But at the time? At launch? I was completely gutted.

After months of anticipation, at the height of Pac-Man Fever...Atari dropped this garbage. When I got my copy it took me less than a minute to realize with growing horror that the game was utter trash.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah this one was crazy when I went from the PS2 version to the Xbox version it was a night and day difference. Xbox had Normal Mapping, PS2 had what Ubisoft called Geotexturing. The levels were cut down in size but the things that baffled me is they gave the PS2 an exclusive kill move and really good water effects that rippled appropriately. Not to mention a glass effect that bends around the object.

Oh man I remember the PS2 port, one of the worst parts was the really gimped version of the multiplayer, which was one of the best aspects of Chaos Theory. I can't remember how much was changed, but one thing I do remember is the Mercenaries in the PS2 version only got the assault rifle, while the mercenaries in the other version got the assault rifle, but also a shotgun and SMG. I think there was fewer maps in the PS2 version too.

tokkan

Nov 1, 2017
Taz-Mania for the Game Gear. Taught me to look for game reviews.

Mortal Kombat for the SNES wasn't great either.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
No More Heros on the PS3... I love the franchise and they are good games not great. But man if you were to tell me you didn't like the series because you played the Ps3 version I wouldn't blame you. Combat becomes even worse since you are not using a Wii mote. They tinkered with the shaders and made the game uglier. And somehow made the game an even worse slog to get through. Like the port almost feels like the developers wanted to make it worse. Can't imagine what conditions they were given when they were told to port it. Must have been really bad for the game to come out feeling half baked like that.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Originally played Tomb Raider on the Saturn and while I enjoyed it, the PS1 version was noticeably better when I later played through that version.