• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FromAshesRise

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User has been banned for arguing in bad faith, as well as a history of inflammatory/antagonistic posts
On April 1st 2018, one of my favorite YouTubers - Super Eyepatch Wolf - posted a video about pro wrestling entitled "Why Professional Wrestling is Fascinating". I love Eyepatch. A lot of his videos deep dive into anime series, but one of the best things about his stuff is how he calls them out on their problems. He doesn't just talk about the good parts of a manga or anime, he talks about their flaws too.

Not with this. His 30 minute video goes to great lengths to defend pro wrestling (he even condescendingly addresses his video to people who "hate wrestling"), and a lot of the WWE, and only subtly compares it to anime as if to say it's hypocritical to like anime but hate wrestling because both are equivalent in their immaturity. Anime has a lot of problems. A lot. There are some rotten shows. But there are some clean and awesome shows. Not the WWE (and please, let's not turn this into an anime vs pro wrestling thread, that's missing the point entirely).

When that video came out, I knew I wanted to make this thread, because it was the last straw of the glorification and hipsterization of one of the shittiest forms of entertainment imaginable. It took me a few weeks to decide how I wanted to word this thread.

I grew up with the WWF as a kid, and even back then - I knew it had some issues. In 2003, I stopped watching it and swore it off because of one of the most disgusting things I have ever seen on TV in my entire life. It was the buildup to Wrestlemania in which an ENTIRE story arc was dedicated to Triple H (who Eyepatch Wolf glorifies in his video as "cool" or whatever for breaking kayfabe - as if people should actually give a shit) literally telling Booker T that he was inferior to him for being black. That was the ENTIRE arc. One racist insult after another racist insult. He said shit that would've been unacceptable 40 years ago, let alone 15 years ago - on live television. It likely stacks up as some of the most unsettling, unforgivably disgusting crap I've ever seen in "entertainment". Oh and Triple H won the Wrestlemania fight - because yeah. If you want to look into this more, do so - but don't expect me to post quotes because that shit is gross.

Years later, my WWE following friends would tell me story after story about the blatant anti gay things that John Cena would spew out of his mouth, as though that was the only thing he could ever say. And don't even get me started on the treatment of women in the WWE.

The fact of the matter is that the WWE is disgusting for writing and putting out any of this stuff, and it's indefensible. Period. However, it's so much worse that people - including generally "left leaning" and "cool" "personalities" glorify this indefensible garbage. Fuck the WWE - any one who defends this crap should be ashamed of themselves.

It's worth noting before anyone points out that I'm only really referring to the WWE. More underground and international pro wrestling circuits that don't do this shit I guess are fine - but I truly wonder how clean they actually are given how people easily defend the WWE. It's also worth noting that Eyepatch's Golden Lovers example is 10 minutes of a 30 minute video, with 2/3rds of the video being entirely about the WWE.

DonShula

Oct 25, 2017
There's not much that Vince McMahon wouldn't do for a buck. That's never changed and probably never will.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cena's been actively trying to make amends on that front for a long while now.

They are not perfect, but they're clearly trying to do better w/ the younger generation gaining more influence.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All of this and you don't even mention the Greatest Royal Rumble in Saudi Arabia? (And them not putting any women wrestlers on the card)

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So don't give him your money. I don't.

And call out the people who do for enabling this shit.
People wanna watch the wwe

jesus fucking christ it's not that deep

every black fan who knows, knows that Vince and a lotta people working there are racist cunts

we still watch the product cause we like/liked wrestling

Women are treated fine now, there's an obvious pro LGBTQ stance with the multiple out and proud wrestlers and Finn Balors Mania entrance, Cena apologizing for shit said in the past,

Like jesus christ is it that serious for you?

Ahhthe90s

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just want to post this image and remind people that millions of people across the world pay to watch this, lol.

1523261026-121552.jpg

ninjabot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean... I guess I won't defend any of it. It was pretty shitty stuff.

I do like it a lot though. I don't really know what to say here. I don't feel TOO bad about it because things have been improving over the years what with their more serious adherence to wellness policy, the female wrestlers being taken more seriously now, and one of their female wrestlers are openly gay and so far hasn't reported any locker room discrimination. Oh, and LGBTQ Balor Club is pretty cool.

It's not saying much, and I doubt the wrestling culture will ever fully rehabilitate itself but... it's getting better. And it's enough for me to sleep at night.

OP
OP
FromAshesRise

FromAshesRise

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cena's been actively trying to make amends on that front for a long while now.

They are not perfect, but they're clearly trying to do better w/ the younger generation gaining more influence.

If Cena said anti gay shit once or twice, or had a couple of months where he said anti gay shit, I'd buy this - but from what I've seen and heard - I don't buy this for a second. You just sound like you're defending a homophobe.

All of this and you don't even mention the Greatest Royal Rumble in Saudi Arabia? (And them not putting any women wrestlers on the card)

Well I'm just going off my experiences from what I know and seen, but sure.

every black fan who knows, knows that Vince and a lotta people working there are racist cunts

Women are treated fine now, there's an obvious pro LGBTQ stance with the multiple out and proud wrestlers and Finn Balors Mania entrance, Cena apologizing for shit said in the past,

Spoken like someone who defends a bigoted organization full of racists, women, and anti LGBTQ folks.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
NXT is amazing, so I'm fine thanks.

Vince has always been a total cunt that's why WWE gets no money from me.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Cena said anti gay shit once or twice, or had a couple of months where he said anti gay shit, I'd buy this - but from what I've seen and heard - I don't buy this for a second. You just sound like you're defending a homophobe.

Well I'm just going off my experiences from what I know and seen, but sure.

Spoken like someone who defends a bigoted organization full of racists, women, and anti LGBTQ folks.
Really nigga

okay, so you don't pay attention to the current product at all

when someone tries to tell you they are attempting to do better you say you don't believe them.....what is your goal here?

Jtendo '82

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
NXT is so so good though.

I've seen a match or two, but not recently. Definitely a notch above as far as ring work goes. The main product is so overproduced and safe that I can't bring myself to put it on for more than 5 minutes. I put it on the other night just to see the Raw after Mania and the the Rhonda Rousey bit with Steph was enough to make me not want to turn it on again until this time next year for the same reason. I stopped watching in general 3 or 4 years ago and even then it was just kinda something i would put on the in background while i did other things. Steph and HHH are lucky SOBs that they have a hit in the foreign markets, otherwise I think there would be some real concern over the future of the company.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the Ronda Rousey match and hated myself for it.

I'll watch it again next week...despite it no longer being Rusev Day. :/

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean they gave millionals to Trump. More then anyone

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
They swapped to a PG product like a decade ago, bruh

The things you hated about it are over 15 years ago at this point

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really defend them. Actually ignoring the anit-gay stuff, WWE has done much much worse. Vince covered up a freaking murder for crying out loud. There was also the pedophillia going on with some of his employees back in the 80's that apparently everyone knew about but didn't say anything until it got too hot.

Despite that WWE is more than just a few guys that run the company. I want to support the wrestlers I like and enjoy.

ninjabot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
...I don't see this thread lasting much longer :l

Like... I don't get the point of it. Or, I think I do. But I don't want to assume. Because it totally feels like someone just wanted to fight, and we've ALL fallen for the bait.

OP
OP
FromAshesRise

FromAshesRise

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why make this thread then? Just want a load of yes men so you can ironically be like Vince McMahon?

You missed the point just like a lot of the other defenders who are salty for their favorite bigoted crap getting criticized. The point is that there isn't enough criticism of the WWE as evidenced by tons of major personalities who go out of their way to defend it without addressing this stuff. It's not just one dude on YouTube - a ton of folks do it. Giant Bomb is INFAMOUS for it and it bothered me for years.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I can't really defend them. Actually ignoring the anit-gay stuff, WWE has done much much worse. Vince covered up a freaking murder for crying out loud. There was also the pedophillia going on with some of his employees back in the 80's that apparently everyone knew about but didn't say anything until it got too hot.

Despite that WWE is more than just a few guys that run the company. I want to support the wrestlers I like and enjoy.

Be a Warrior, Don't Queer.

Rmagnus

Oct 28, 2017
Shrugs people are such that if they like something they will find ways to justify it. I mean someone who believes that the kids that were murdered were actors etc but as long as she puts on a good show its ok.

Jtendo '82

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
I just want to post this image and remind people that millions of people across the world pay to watch this, lol.

1523261026-121552.jpg

I'm sorry but gay or straight, that imagery is fucking H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S! If that were Edge and Lita it would still be hilarious. Even better on hallucinogens! If it bothers you because it looks gay and that makes you uncomfortable, well, that's something else entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.