• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Today marks my first month owning an Xbox One X, and I still do not know how to even access my screenshots/recordings. Coming from a PS4, this is the most confusing interface I hace used in a long time.

How does ERA feel about the current state of the Xbox dashboard? What do you think could make it better?

It looks and feels fucking awful. I use that quick menu and pins, but it's still shit.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
One thing I've learnt is if you have been using an os for 4 years you start using a new os or dashboard for around a month, you don't have a great experience.

You will get used to it. I use my Xbox more than my ps4 and I actually have no issue with either and I think they both have flaws.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's surprisingly bad. I bought an XB1X on Black Friday and coming from a PS4 Pro the Dashboard is so sluggish and unintuitive. I love everything else about the console, but it can be a real chore to get around that UI.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can't stand seeing this topic come up. And it's always the same story. "It's too hard to use and so sloooooow". And every time I feel like responding the same way i.e. go try and do literally anything on a Wii U other than just launching a game and then come back to me saying the Xbox UI is slow or sluggish. What a load of nonsense. I will take the Xbox UI any day over something like the Switch which is so barebones it may as well not exist, and even that needs to constantly do things like reload the eShop each time you want to use it and has no multitasking to speak of. Meanwhile here i am streaming music from my Onedrive at the same time as playing multiplayer games online and the guide is fast and snappy enough that doing things like changing tracks or adjusting the volume can be done without me skipping a beat (or getting killed).

As for this not knowing where to find captures thing, considering you can get to it from at least 3 different ways i find it hard to believe that you genuinely struggle unless you are purposefully avoiding any prompts or onscreen guides/iconography. Off the top of my head it's Guide - View (Select if you're old school) - Manage captures (takes all of 2 seconds) for everything, Guide, RB twice and Recent captures for, you guessed it, recent captures and if it's not recent enough you can hit "See all" and that takes maybe 5 seconds unless you have arthritis. You can also get to it from your profile card which is a longer journey but even that is 10 seconds if you know how to navigate it. You're telling me you've never read the text on the bottom of the screen when you press Guide or you have never navigated to the Broadcast/captures tab? Ok then.

How, exactly, do you propose they make this any faster or easier to find? Unless your solution is "have a physical hardware button dedicated to it" then by all mean, share your solution.

Giving the option to default boot to the guide and hide the rest of the crap would be a start. Or at least boot to my games list, because that's what I want to actually do with a console.

If it rattles you so much knowing some people think it's rubbish, I suggest you just don't bother reading the thread.

Boomchil

Nov 1, 2017
France
Yeah to me it has even managed to be shittier that the Wii U one, which is not something to be proud of. Plus I think Microsoft has always made great UI (I even liked Metro in Windows 8), this make this even more sad...

Coming from the Switch it is always really painful to navigate. If only they put a toggle to hide all the BS I don't care about and just have my games icons on one page...

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just made different groups to pin to the home page and honestly I think that works really good. I don't have many complaints.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yep reading the thread and it's definitely people who have purchased within the last month who are used to an os they've used for years struggling with a new os.

Give an iPhone user android and it would be the same, and visa versa.

A mac os user windows etc.

I suppose it is all valid but also important to accept this point.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Yep reading the thread and it's definitely people who have purchased within the last month who are used to an os they've used for years struggling with a new os.

I'm not struggling with it, but thanks for the condescension.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

I've had my Xbox One for years at this point and even though I know where everything is and how to use it, I still have the opinion that it's a terrible ui.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I've had mine since launch, it's always been bad. Hell, a few different gaming outlet comparisons where random staff members and editors etc were asked which UI's they preferred early into the gen, said similar things about the Xbox UI, that it seemed comparatively slow and unintuitive. At launch and soon after, the discreoency was actually far worse than it is now. The Xbox UI was even slower, and the install times etc were a big point of contention early on (they still are).

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
I literally don't know how to take or access screenshots, I think I managed it like once but I've basically given up on that entirely. Same with the digital store, I just never go onto it because it's incomprehensible
This is why I can't take a lot of these posts seriously because a lot of you sound like you haven't even actually seen the UI. It literally says how to take a screenshot if you just press the home button and then it gives you a notification on how to access it. Then if you want to look at it again the guide has an entire section dedicated to captures. Jesus Christ, people.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the best console UI ever. One of the things I miss the most since switching to PS4. I enjoyed having a reliable and fast guide, I like that games and apps are treated the same on the home page, not having to sync my achievements or spend minutes trying to find settings in places they shouldn't be.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
this thread again...

i don't get it, is this really that hard?

IGBMvZR.png

c'mon it's the first thing you see when you press the guide button
Lol. they are obviously not used to it. It's very easy to navigate the dashboard imo.
Console warriors, pure and simple

Xbox One OS is objectively bad and sluggish. It's indefensible.
What's up with the name calling?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
this thread again...

i don't get it, is this really that hard?

IGBMvZR.png

c'mon it's the first thing you see when you press the guide button

This only works if you actually have recent captures though. That's why as I mentioned earlier, I often take a random screenshot just to get into the screenshots app. That seems the quickest way to get into the screenshots app via the quick menu recent screenshots tab, though going through and loading screenshots is still extremely slow. If you don't use this recent screenshots method, it's difficult and cumbersome to get to them otherwise, and the GameDVR app doesn't seem to load them and instead loads recorded videos only.

Edit: Just noted there is a see all tab in the bottom that takes you to captures even if you have no recent ones, don't know if this is a recent addition, but I'd not noticed that prior, so this is a great extra. Still doesn't change the speed and limitations of using the captures app or gallery though (viewing and uploading images etc).

Last edited:

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
As a huge fan of Xbox I sort of agree.

It really isn't all that quick, especially when you've just turned the console on from a cold boot. I'd love it they offered a simple mode option that favours speed of use over aesthetics, perhaps without picture icons and a simple list browser In the game store.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
It's over complicated for sure. If you use only that, then I guess you get used to it, but in comparison to their main competitor's it's flaws show up quite quickly.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm not a fan either. Got my X last month and love it, but that OS is pretty terrible. I try to use it as little as possible.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
What you just described is also called bad UI design.

You should't have to adjust to the "logic of its own." That's poor design. A good UI is intuitive enough that it makes perfect sense without any adjustment period.

If you "have to try" to understand a user interface, that is a bad user interface. Period.

Interesting. I experienced an adjustment period for literally every new interface I've ever used. Each iteration of the Xbox One interface seemed somewhat confusing at first, but it's hardly the only "bad user interface", by your definition.

Going from Android to Windows Phone required adjustment. Going back to a newer version of Android required adjustment again, and a couple of years later I still don't like it.

Going from Xbox 360 to PS3 - adjustment, and I still don't like the way that so many things are nested under just several icons, often seemingly at random, and sometimes duplicated in multiple places.

Getting a 3DS a month ago also required adjustment, and that's as simple and feature-starved as it gets. Why does going back a step sometimes work using the B button, and at other times you need to use the touch screen? Why is the virtual back button, a function that is used so often, on the left side of the screen when it would be easier to reach on the right?

Even going from Windows XP to Mac OS X back in the day left me scratching my head. The then-current version of iTunes in particluar, I couldn't figure out the logic behind it for the life of me.

Also within the games - why is the topmost face button so often used for the menu functionality in JRPGs, when intuitively I'd always reach for the start/menu button first, select/view second?

I could find reasons to complain about almost every user interface out there, but instead of bitching I take a couple of hours to learn it, and get over it.

Mr Moot

May 10, 2018
Annecy, France
It's funny cause I feel the complete opposite! Hate PS4 dashboard, can't find things. Have you tried to use the guide to learn how it works? The console explain everything at the first launch.

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
I think the best user interface was probably the Xbox 360's. I agree the Xbox One, even after so many redesigns, is still very strange and confusing, but once you learn the ropes you can at least go to your applications real quick, something I can't say for PS4 (Netflix, YouTube or any of the "TV" applications are a pain to navigate to)

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I just find it sluggish and slow. The main problem is that it's all relying on the internet and everything is updated on the go.

I go to my app/ games section and would have to wait for game pass, ea access etc to load, I go to the store and it takes an awful long time to load everything or would freeze and crash.

As someone else said, it doesn't help we can't hide/ disable stuff we are just not interested in either.

Unless I know I will be downloading something remotely or and update/ patch is coming out, the Xbox is set to fully turn off instead of instant.

The fresh start helps a bit with the quickness of the os.

Also the slow download speeds are another nightmare.

I have a 300mb line and the PS4 usually downloads in that region as well as all my other devices. The Xbox always goes up and down but mainly settles on average around 80-100.

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do Xbox UI defenders keep asking for proof? Do you think that all these people in this thread are lying? When somebody says that PS4 is worse or as bad my first thought ia always that their PS4 is broken. Because how could it be worse than Microsoft's mess?

Hardly a MS defender - my favorite games this generation are PS4 titles (avatar should be a giveaway). But we're asking for people to show us their experience because while variance in performance is possible, it's most likely being exaggerated. The video shown in a previous post still doesn't show the speed of the guide on that user's console.

I find the guide super useful to do any task I need to while currently in-game, while the PS4 quick menu is slow to load for me when I'm trying to invite friends to a party while playing Battlefield V. My biggest issue with my One X is that slight stutter I get when an achievement pops for some games lately (Ashen being the big one).

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
How do I turn the UI volume down? I use headphones and the achievement notification sounds like the end of the world.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I don't understand how people are still making threads about this. The dashboard hasn't changed pretty much at all in 2018, finally reaching a point of design stability.

Your go-to tool for everything is the guide. Hit the Xbox button, go left and right on the guide until you find what you want. There's an entire tab on there for captures/streaming.

The dashboard was a complete disaster at launch because everything was an app - achievements, friends, etc. They've scaled that back and used the Guide as a way to short circuit all of their previous design decisions. It's also lightning fast compared to the PS4 Quick Menu, which takes ages to load my friends list when I'm in a game.
It's pretty much the same as the Xbox 360 guide.

If you can't navigate an Xbox One console in 2018, how do those people even go through the Settings on an Android phone?

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
It's what happens when your platform isn't owned by people focused on gaming. They just don't get certain things and basically windows phone UI which I also worked on as a engineer was just slapped on without understanding why windows phone UI worked so well (hint: a tv is not a mobile phone)

Microsoft is dev and management driven . Design is heavily underrepresented especially at higher levels.

I still have nightmares from the Metro UI/UX.

Can't say that I'm happy with the Xbox One UI/UX, either. The guide is so annoying with everything taking an extra button press and it opening a new window in every step.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I can understand why the Xbox One UI can be confusing when you have both the dashboard and the guide. Two entry points where you can access content. Some stuff can only be accessed through the dashboard, some only via the guide.

If they want to make it easier to use, they should merge the two.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The dash has its quirks, especially if you have the Alpha builds but once you know where things are, it is quick and easy.

Feb 10, 2018
I can understand why the Xbox One UI can be confusing when you have both the dashboard and the guide. Two entry points where you can access content. Some stuff can only be accessed through the dashboard, some only via the guide.

If they want to make it easier to use, they should merge the two.

I think its simply a case of people coming from a different console and then being like

Different = crap.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I think its simply a case of people coming from a different console and then being like

Different = crap.

no, it's not. If one UI feels and controls better than the other, this is the whole reason.

The Xbox UI is slow, laggy and hard to understand. This is especially weird, as the X is such a powerhouse.
I use all sorts of systems privately and at work (I'm a developer), but I really needed some time to understand what this OS wants me to do. I also gave up on some features like pinned games. They always show up at the very bottom of my dashboard...

First improvement for me would be another tab on the dashboard/homescreen instead of the fucking Mixer thing where I see my games. How this is found in a separate UI, that has to load first, on a gaming console, is beyond my understanding.

Trickstah

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
This only works if you actually have recent captures though. That's why as I mentioned earlier, I often take a random screenshot just to get into the screenshots app. That seems the quickest way to get into the screenshots app via the quick menu recent screenshots tab, though going through and loading screenshots is still extremely slow. If you don't use this recent screenshots method, it's difficult and cumbersome to get to them otherwise, and the GameDVR app doesn't seem to load them and instead loads recorded videos only.

It works whenever...

You literally click "See all" once the Recent Captures guide pops up and it takes you to "Manage Captures" where you can choose to see stuff on Xbox LIVE, on YOUR Xbox or what's Uploading...

The hyperbole in this thread is crazy. Lol.

II JumPeR I

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
There is nothing hard or confusing about the Dashboard lol

I still have nightmares from the Metro UI/UX.

Can't say that I'm happy with the Xbox One UI/UX, either. The guide is so annoying with everything taking an extra button press and it opening a new window in every step.
But at least the offline status works for you.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018
no, it's not. If one UI feels and controls better than the other, this is the whole reason.

The Xbox UI is slow, laggy and hard to understand. This is especially weird, as the X is such a powerhouse.
I use all sorts of systems privately and at work (I'm a developer), but I really needed some time to understand what this OS wants me to do. I also gave up on some features like pinned games. They always show up at the very bottom of my dashboard...

First improvement for me would be another tab on the dashboard/homescreen instead of the fucking Mixer thing where I see my games. How this is found in a separate UI, that has to load first, on a gaming console, is beyond my understanding.
You can get to apps and games quicker on X1, so you must think other systems are very very slow.

What part are you finding slow?
To get to a game u can have it on your pins or go to "my games and apps" which is the first think on the home screen.
Once your in a game, it's practically instant going to other apps and games, you just press the xbox button and your recent apps are right there or "your games and apps is a movement of the analogue stick and a button press away.
How is that slow or difficult?

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
i feel like every time this sort of thing comes up it would easily be solved if you actually tried to use it properly. it is not hard at all. if you still struggle with the guide just use pins which can literally be anything you want so there's literally no excuse for finding it hard other than laziness in not setting up your pins.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Apart from slowness while loading the one thing that annoys me is that you can't just show every game in a grid in the home menu. I don't want to manage pins to do that. I just want to be there.

The guide is totally functional and a fast way to access stuff but when simply launching a game from the home menu it shouldn't be needed.

Edit: the dashboard is totally useless to me unless I launch a game I've recently played.

Oct 30, 2017
Having used both PS4 and Xbox His, I have to say the current dash is far better. My 10 year old nephew flies through it no problem as well. Seems pretty snappy and intuitive to me.

Nov 8, 2017
The guide works well but the dash itself feels like its only there to show me ads for services I'm already subscribed to. I am pleased they let you customise your dash in theory but the vast majority of stuff is not useful. It's all pretty overdesigned.

Feb 10, 2018
Apart from slowness while loading the one thing that annoys me is that you can't just show every game in a grid in the home menu. I don't want to manage pins to do that. I just want to be there.

The guide is totally functional and a fast way to access stuff but when simply launching a game from the home menu it shouldn't be needed.

Edit: the dashboard is totally useless to me unless I launch a game I've recently played.

Why would you want all your games cluttering the home screen?

It is also literally one button press to a very organised games and apps section where you can see all your games and filter them if you want.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018

What infuriates me is that the last used apps also include stuff like Microsoft Store and Xbox Accessories or Avatars. I don't care about that, most of the time, I launch those by accident because some section of settings is a separate app (which is a questionable design choice on it's own) and I don't want to see them on my dashboard.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
isn't the guide like a popup side menu that takes up 1/3 of the screen?

seems like the main fullscreened UI is kind of indefensible if everyone just says you should use that

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
You can get to apps and games quicker on X1, so you must think other systems are very very slow.

What part are you finding slow?
To get to a game u can have it on your pins or go to "my games and apps" which is the first think on the home screen.
Once your in a game, it's practically instant going to other apps and games, you just press the xbox button and your recent apps are right there or "your games and apps is a movement of the analogue stick and a button press away.
How is that slow or difficult?

Everything takes time to load, even my list of games is a spinner for some seconds. The Dashboard takes like 20 seconds before I see everything.
Placing all my games, the main reason I bought a gaming console, behind a button as big as the ad beside it, is just ridiculous. At least give me the option to have my games on the first tab, not in the settings or what it's called.

Whatever I do on my PS4 is instant. On the X many actions needs time and have a slight delay.

Well, I still prefer it over my PS4 though, wonderful machine otherwise.