• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
The conference was not for gamer, it was for investors and share olders. They tried to show to them that theythought about new way to bring new people to the xbox brand. But, like most company, they forgot you need to keep the ones you already have...

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Anyway that conference felt like EA was managing Xbox, it had that terrible format.

- So much useless boring talk (things investors may want to hear)

- cringy jokes, fake audience ready to cheer for everything

- Huge ass sections for FIFA and COD because these are the famous games.

- no real announcement.

Eisen Sora

Jun 22, 2018
As a Xbox360 owner that conference was a major disaster. Totally lost focus on games and primary was a show about TV, sports, Call of Duty and no new games reveals ( except Quantum Break).

I was shocked in how bad was all that and planned to never touch that system and wanted to buy a PS4 instead.

Then e3 happened and with Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall and, later, Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3 appearing on the platform too I convinced myself to still try to get a Xbox One.

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The console looked nice but the brand message was awful. They were still stuck in the 360 era of sports and fps.

The console isn't really an issue anymore but the games catalogue is still a mess. Have they developed any new successful game they can take with them next generation? What, Sea of Thieves? :/

It's still only Halo, Gears and Forza. The rest were either 3rd party or a hot mess. It's just been a failure of a generation for the XBOX. I get their PR is better now but it still doesn't make sense why they still don't have games 6 years later.

Dec 31, 2017
The console looked nice but the brand message was awful. They were still stuck in the 360 era of sports and fps.

The console isn't really an issue anymore but the games catalogue is still a mess. Have they developed any new successful game they can take with them next generation? What, Sea of Thieves? :/

It's still only Halo, Gears and Forza. The rest were either 3rd party or a hot mess. It's just been a failure of a generation for the XBOX. I get their PR is better now but it still doesn't make sense why they still don't have games 6 years later.
Sea of Thieves is pretty big still and I'm sure an updated version with 4k 60fps will make its way to the next Xbox at some point, it only makes sense as I think that game will have long legs. Also, having Halo at launch will surely push out some hardware, and new acquisitions will work their magic soon enough. The Xbox One was fine, kinect was a bad decision as much as I like mine, although I've now switched to controlling my Xbox using Alexa. They had good games early on I think, just that it all fell pretty quickly and then there was also the fact it was less powerful than PS4. I still have good memories of the reveal though, I was so hype for Forza 5!

This gen's messaging was bad and so they got off on the wrong foot. I think their chances are good next gen to gain some ground.

Deleted member 55421

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
Responsibility was not on his really tho. He was head of studios. But he said many times he is 'to blame" also as he was in the meetings and part of the leaders group.
Thought this was intresting Spencer said during that big speech last year. The Xbox team was really in a bad place also.

I don't remember which interview it was, but I remember him saying in that interview that the Xbox one was a team effort in which a lot of people had a say in and approved, including him. It wasn't just pinned on one guy. It might have been an e3 interview.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Neither do i.

Live TV and the idea of Xbox tv originals failed, but the concept has become an industry standard. The biggest issue with the Xbox implementation of TV features was it was so tied to the old cable model.

It wasn't necessarily that it was tied to the old cable model -- it's that they tied it to physical cable boxes, and they all suck. The TV integration was basically a giant IR blaster, and IR blasting is a finicky solution (to put it nicely) when you have no better option. And since you'd have to use HDMI in (vs. native support), you'd get the great visual of the Xbox's UI overlaid on top of the cable box UI.

In hindsight, if MS had launched with hardware support for live TV, it would have been a better product story. They could have offered SKUs that either ship with just the console, or a variety of pack-ins: a CableCARD tuner (for US pay TV), an ATSC tuner (for US OTA TV), or a DVB tuner (for EU OTA TV), and include the ability to act as a DVR. The Xbox would, if you wanted, act as a wholesale replacement of a TV box (and function as a true all-in-one box) rather than an awkward interface on top of your cable box. Microsoft built DVR support Windows (eventually deprecated in Win10), including full CableCARD support for protected (read: premium cable channel) streams.

They also shouldn't have had the initial look be at the TV stuff -- the only people are going to be so into a console launch are generally going to be people wanting it for the games, so you have to put that out first.

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sea of Thieves is pretty big still and I'm sure an updated version with 4k 60fps will make its way to the next Xbox at some point, it only makes sense as I think that game will have long legs. Also, having Halo at launch will surely push out some hardware, and new acquisitions will work their magic soon enough.
I agree to an extent. I don't think the struggles XBOX faced this generation means it will necessarily struggle next generation. It's been shown that each generation is its own bubble. If Microsoft hits all the right notes, then the next iteration of the system can completely turn things around.

However, with that said, they really screwed up this generation when it comes to games. Thankfully they have Halo, Gears and Forza. Those three can help mitigate a lot of the pressure. I know their popularity has gone down (at least with Halo and Gears) but God of War has proven, you can re-ignite a fan base if a newer version is done well.

The biggest issue I see, is that Microsoft did not develop a new IP that they can take with them to the next generation. At least not one that excites and invigorates the fan-base. I know you mentioned Sea of Thieves, but it was a dud from what I remember at launch. It may be more polished now, and I'm not sure what the buzz is around it currently, but it may be more of a vocal minority enjoying it then a game that people are clamoring to buy the next XBOX for, or even switch consoles to play.

Halo, Gears and Forza will be there but these are 3rd and 4th generation games, there is nothing new in the library in terms of big scale excitement. For discussion sake, let's suggest the PS3 was a failure, however, that failure still gave us Uncharted and The Last of Us, which continued over to PS4. Those games gave a reason for gamers to stick/switch to PlayStation. This generation you get Horizon, Spiderman and Days Gone added to the list. Now you have fans of those games who will be excited to see the second iteration of those games on the PS5. It's a constant growth of games.

XBOX did not create any new brands this generation that garner the same reactions/excitement. Really makes you question, what the hell they were doing all these years. Not only was the output for new IPs abysmal in quality but also quantity. Games that gave them something/anything, like Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive, they just dropped support. I get those games weren't top-of-the-line but damn, maybe QB2 or SO2 could have been.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man, as someone who loved my 360 from 2007-2011, this was some sad shit to see. MS had already fallen off the glory days once they started pushing Kinect, but this was the kicker for me, and I didn't buy the X1.

I keep saying I'm going to buy one but, despite the turn around I don't even see the point anymore, I'm at the point in the generation where I have more games in my backlog than time in my hands to get around playing them.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I guess I'm one of the few people who were not terribly disappointed by that reveal. It's all about expectations, and going in I was aware of the fact that they announced their games blowout to happen at E3 a couple of weeks later. E3 was indeed fantastic when it came to game announcements, but they managed to mess up in other ways.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember which interview it was, but I remember him saying in that interview that the Xbox one was a team effort in which a lot of people had a say in and approved, including him. It wasn't just pinned on one guy. It might have been an e3 interview.
Probably Giantbomb interview at E3.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Watching the Giant Bomb reaction stream from back then, in my head it feels like it was just yesterday so seeing how much has changed is mindblowing, from the focus on multimedia to Ryan Davis RIP. And when was the last time Microsoft even mentioned the Kinect?

Also to this day the original Xbox One is the only home console I've broke open to attempt to fix. It didn't work out, but whenever I see the OG model these days I just remember it looking really flimsy inside.

Also the Xbox One controller is awful

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
The reveal was horrible so I held off on buying one for a couple years. I've enjoyed the system quite a bit though.

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
I agree to an extent. I don't think the struggles XBOX faced this generation means it will necessarily struggle next generation. It's been shown that each generation is its own bubble. If Microsoft hits all the right notes, then the next iteration of the system can completely turn things around.

However, with that said, they really screwed up this generation when it comes to games. Thankfully they have Halo, Gears and Forza. Those three can help mitigate a lot of the pressure. I know their popularity has gone down (at least with Halo and Gears) but God of War has proven, you can re-ignite a fan base if a newer version is done well.

The biggest issue I see, is that Microsoft did not develop a new IP that they can take with them to the next generation. At least not one that excites and invigorates the fan-base. I know you mentioned Sea of Thieves, but it was a dud from what I remember at launch. It may be more polished now, and I'm not sure what the buzz is around it currently, but it may be more of a vocal minority enjoying it then a game that people are clamoring to buy the next XBOX for, or even switch consoles to play.

Halo, Gears and Forza will be there but these are 3rd and 4th generation games, there is nothing new in the library in terms of big scale excitement. For discussion sake, let's suggest the PS3 was a failure, however, that failure still gave us Uncharted and The Last of Us, which continued over to PS4. Those games gave a reason for gamers to stick/switch to PlayStation. This generation you get Horizon, Spiderman and Days Gone added to the list. Now you have fans of those games who will be excited to see the second iteration of those games on the PS5. It's a constant growth of games.

XBOX did not create any new brands this generation that garner the same reactions/excitement. Really makes you question, what the hell they were doing all these years. Not only was the output for new IPs abysmal in quality but also quantity. Games that gave them something/anything, like Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive, they just dropped support. I get those games weren't top-of-the-line but damn, maybe QB2 or SO2 could have been.
But it's not a bubble anymore. It's about persistent libraries, platforms and services.

Unless MS find new customers, I'm not convinced they'll steal many away from Sony, especially given the strength of Sony's first-party at this point in time when compared to MS.

Last edited:

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
MS burned their bridges with me a bit before that with confirmation of the DRM rumors. But that conference said exactly what i was fearing. It was a trainwreck in slow motion

Mistermetz

Jun 17, 2018
Can't believe how time flies. Great console after all. And interesting to see that the switch will overtake it probably by next year.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Now that was a fuck up of monumental proportions. Went from market leader to struggling to get 3rd place(?). I remember my buddies and I ragging on MS pretty bad for this.

I feel they will do better next gen though

Jan 19, 2018
So, for this gen, I went PS4 first thanks to Microsoft's mess of a launch. Eventually though, I couldn't resist the allure of Forza Horizon 2 and Sunset Overdrive, so I bought it. I didn't play it much outside of those games for a while though, sticking to PS4.

When Horizon Zero Dawn released, I got a 4K TV and a PS4 Pro. I stuck with that console for a good while.

However, just last year, Microsoft got me again with Forza Horizon 4's 60 FPS mode... I bought the X. Since then, it's slowly been stealing away play time from the PS4. I'm conflicted because I now have great libraries on both platforms, but I pay for both Live and Plus. I'd love Game Pass too, but it's starting to cost a lot.

Either way, I now love the Xbox One.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
A disastrous reveal, and part of the death throes of the old, Ballmer-led, Windows-centric Microsoft. That said:

-My satisfaction with the Xbox 360 had been so high that I stayed within the ecosystem and didn´t jump ship to PlayStation. 6 years laters, I don´t regret the choice because of a plethora of factors (friends, controllers, achievements, UI, prices in my region, first party franchises, etc.).

-This is counter-factual thinking, but I do believe that the Mattrick-led trainwreck ultimately forced Microsoft to transform Xbox into a much more competitive division, which is now vastly better prepared for the future.
Even if Sony sold about double the plastic boxes during the Eight Generation, the innovations introduced during the Xbox One lifespan have been impressive (Game Pass, Xbox One X, Elite controller, Mixer, game streaming foundations, etc.) and that could be eventually decisive considering that one of the only companies in the world that can go toe-to-toe with Microsoft is about to enter the gaming industry supposedly in full force.

Verchod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still don't get why everyone kicks off about this reveal. They said they would reveal the machine and what it could do in general, then show games at E3. Which they did. But everyone complains they didn't show games at the reveal.
Whether or not you like the original idea of the their machine, it turns out now that people's media use and how they consume is pretty similar to what Xbox was aiming for. They just probably don't use an Xbox one for it.

Seems to sum Microsoft up in general. Right ideas, bad timing.

Oct 27, 2017
But it's not a bubble anymore. It's about persistent libraries, platforms and services.

Unless MS find new customers, I'm not convinced they'll steal many away from Sony, especially given the strength of Sony's first-party at this point in time when compared to MS.
Eh of course like mainland Europe and japan aren't going to hemorrhage gamers to Xbox, but the US and UK are much more fickle and can sway like that.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
It's amazing how inward looking they must have been to spend years on developing a console with a camera that was supposed to solve a problem basically no one had. After the success of the first Kinect I sort of understand why they wanted to ship it with the console from start this time. But who wanted the Kinect in 2013? Did they have a survey showing an immense support for a new Kinect?

Nintendo did something similar with the Wii U, except they actually admitted they didn't look at anyone else, they just did stuff and hoped (or assumed) people would buy it.