• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Maybe the ugliest console ever made, relative to the time period it released.
They legitimately came out with a 1980's VCR in 2013. Never owned that brick.
Base Xbox One > Xbox One S is easily the biggest upgrade in terms of aesthetics a revision has ever seen. Yes even topping Nintendo's various upgrades like the GBA SP and the DS Lite.

Funkallero

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
Didn't really care for the reveal, there were games I wanted to play at launch (Forza 5, Killer Instinct) so I got one day 1.
Xbox One was pretty good exclusives wise until Gears 4 and the Play Anywhere announcement.
Then I went PC last year so now i'm playing Xbox games on it and don't really care for their consoles...
Free Live Gold and 60fps for all their releases is where it's at for me now.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Television, television, TV, sports, sports, sports, television, calladoody, calladoody, TV, sports, etc.

Woke Bespoke

Banned
May 12, 2019
Crazy how they had the entire gaming industry in their palms with the 360, but completely blew an open layup. Still really haven't forgiven or forgotten about this. MS revealed their true colors that day.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
A day that will forever live in infamy.

Seriously, the entire state of the current console gen can be easily attributed to this one event torpedoing Xbox out of the competition, something they've only recently recovered from.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Best thing that ever happened to Xbox imo.

Can you just imagine what a toilet affair the Xbox division would be right now if they were successful enough to not have to reverse course? I'd unironically believe PS4's #4thePlayers branding. Our hobby dodged a hailstorm of bullets from a multitude of vectors and we should really be pretty happy that Xbox self-immolated the way they did, because everybody is now better for it. Well, except Sony, but that's to be expected.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
I was depressed for a while. What a colossal f-up. They definitely need to impress me before I buy in again. I'm open to switching platforms.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Maybe the ugliest console ever made, relative to the time period it released.
They legitimately came out with a 1980's VCR in 2013. Never owned that brick.
Base Xbox One > Xbox One S is easily the biggest upgrade in terms of aesthetics a revision has ever seen. Yes even topping Nintendo's various upgrades like the GBA SP and the DS Lite.
I actually liked how big the OG model was because the left side was convinently the exact right size to fit a Wii U on top of

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
The strong focus on Kinect was so bizarre. It already lost some of its trendiness by that point, so to charge an extra $100 for it and not offer a version of the system without it was enough to make the choice clear for me.

I did eventually buy an XB1 in 2016 tho. They really turned it around.

Oct 27, 2017
How I remember getting jumped on so much at gametrailers for saying that Microsoft lost the plot and that they would be demolished this gen because of it.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
one of the worst console reveals of all time.

the insane negativity around the box and the online drm that still haunts them in parts is just astounding.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
I like the meme where people are rushing to get a PS4 and Don is in the background saying no, please no xD

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Kinect is the future.

Twist: next Xbox is gonna use half its processing power for motion sensing gamming

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
6 years ago... I was a senior in high school and remember watching this conference in the library... that was 6 years ago...
This is way too much I need a moment.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

lol this was amazing. i couldnt believe how bad this reveal was.

I will say this at the risk of getting banned. I bought the console despite the reveal because at E3 they did show a lot of games. they had a pretty decent launch lineup with Dead Rising, Forza and Ryse. Ryse ended up sucking but thats not on them. it still has some of the best visuals this gen so it was worth a playthrough. Sony had Knack and Killzone. Knack was even worse than Ryse while KZ SF ended up being a disappointment. Sony had a weak 2014 while MS released Titanfall and Sunset Overdrive. Both games right at the top of my GOTY list. They had a few great looking exclusives in The Coalition Games new IP, Scalebound, Fable could have been great and Halo looked like a reboot. But then everything fell apart in 2015 and they just started making one bad decision after another. Cancelled many games. bought exclusitivity for Tomb Raider and Titanfall just to keep them off PS4. And spent the next few years just talking about loving gamers and gaas and all that crap.

The point i am trying to make it that despite the shitty conference, i feel MS was on the right track when it came to video games. but they took too long to realize they needed to invest in new studios and exclusives. this entire gen feels like a waste not because they werent successful but because gamers were treated to very few quality exclusives. last gen Sony lost billions and yet had their best gen when it came to games. they lost, we won. i think MS took way too long to course correct. i am excited to see what they can do this gen and i love them pushing Sony on the hardware front, but im deeply unhappy about their output this gen.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The TV sport reveal was absolutely dire but the game one later was actually the best of the two consoles at the time, problem was they just got it all wrong, ballsed it up big time and never recovered fully, it's an impressive turnaround and realignment that will show better gains next gen, glad they did it instead of giving up.

Remember Titanfall, year 2.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Don Mattrick almost single-handedly destroyed the Xbox Brand.

crazy how far they've come since then.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Easily one of the worst consoles of all time. That reveal. That price. Kinect. The 720p games.

Thank god they released the 1X

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I love my 1X as a premium piece of hardware, the excellent BC, great for console multiplats, 4K Blu-ray playback, whisper-quiet, etc., but not for exclusives outside of basically the Forza series. Hoping to see a turnaround in that respect next gen. I have to use a base XB1 at work, and it's just a terrible system all around. The way people complain about Switch IQ should fire up one of these! :)

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
Now that was a shitshow (the xbox one reveal). Barely touched my base One, but the One X has become my platform of choice. Seems like they learned lessons for the next gen, buying up companies for exclusives and all that.

Shakerovic

Apr 26, 2019

atNvAkW.gif

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
Why would I get an Xbox One when there was a perfectly good console for me who couldn't get internet connectivity! It was called the Xbox 360!

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this reveal wiped away their 360 lead.
They took that gamer mindshare they built over 7 years, and took it around behind the house and shot it in the face.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funniest thing about the Xbox one reveal was a lot of what people hated about it ended up becoming industry standards

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
In a lot of was E3 shortly after that was better than the competition but the damage was done. Online check ins, no used game, higher price point, and less capable machine. It was certainly a wake up call though. MS must've felt pretty good coming of the relative success of Xbox 360. They managed to come out with the completely wrong message and paid dearly for it. The tone of this new generation is so completely different. Its amazing really.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
Who in the world reveals a consumer device made for TV on a livestream.
Their target group spends a lot of time online and expects high performance core console gaming and you give them an under-powered box with tv features and gesture controls.

The Xbox One was the Anti-Xbox.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Microsoft is still repairing the damage they caused with that initial reveal.

I don't understand how loading a console full of features for watching live TV was a good idea in 2013.

Funniest thing about the Xbox one reveal was a lot of what people hated about it ended up becoming industry standards

Kinect, live TV, snap, and 24-hour check-in DRM didn't become industry standards.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
The only word for this reveal is disastrous. It's effects lasted years and still to this day on the mainstream consumer who doesn't keep up with gaming news. I don't think I've seen a strong brand tank itself and everything it spend years building up so quickly and effectively.
lol this was amazing. i couldnt believe how bad this reveal was.

I will say this at the risk of getting banned. I bought the console despite the reveal because at E3 they did show a lot of games. they had a pretty decent launch lineup with Dead Rising, Forza and Ryse. Ryse ended up sucking but thats not on them. it still has some of the best visuals this gen so it was worth a playthrough. Sony had Knack and Killzone. Knack was even worse than Ryse while KZ SF ended up being a disappointment. Sony had a weak 2014 while MS released Titanfall and Sunset Overdrive. Both games right at the top of my GOTY list. They had a few great looking exclusives in The Coalition Games new IP, Scalebound, Fable could have been great and Halo looked like a reboot. But then everything fell apart in 2015 and they just started making one bad decision after another. Cancelled many games. bought exclusitivity for Tomb Raider and Titanfall just to keep them off PS4. And spent the next few years just talking about loving gamers and gaas and all that crap.

The point i am trying to make it that despite the shitty conference, i feel MS was on the right track when it came to video games. but they took too long to realize they needed to invest in new studios and exclusives. this entire gen feels like a waste not because they werent successful but because gamers were treated to very few quality exclusives. last gen Sony lost billions and yet had their best gen when it came to games. they lost, we won. i think MS took way too long to course correct. i am excited to see what they can do this gen and i love them pushing Sony on the hardware front, but im deeply unhappy about their output this gen.

Why would this get you banned?

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What a shitshow of a reveal. They have come so far since then, crawling their way out of that self inflicted wound.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Legendary conference in the worst possible way.

I can't believe they were able to turn it around as much as they did.

Nov 2, 2017
I almost swore off the Xbox brand then. After the changes and some of the games coming out, I was curious. The mcc announcement in 2014 pushed me over the edge. Bought an Xbox one that holiday with no regrets.

I'm hopeful for the future of Xbox next gen

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Man, talk about a hype deflating reveal. Between this and their horrible representation leading up to and after E3 they completely lost me as a customer. I had money squared away for an XB1 and PS4 at launch. Spent all the XB1 money on games, a second controller and the camera for PS4. Just a disaster. Even owning a PC I've barely played any of their games this gen. They've done a decent enough job turning it around but I'm probably out for good. But if they have the software next gen I'll try some games on PC because I'm not holding a grudge or anything dumb like that.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft is still repairing the damage they caused with that initial reveal.

I don't understand how loading a console full of features for watching live TV was a good idea in 2013.

Kinect, live TV, snap, and 24-hour check-in DRM didn't become industry standards.

Live TV did just from Xbox Xbox. Hulu, sling, PS Vue have become big.

While 24 hour check ins aren't a thing the majority of modern AAA games are either always online, or won't work 100% without some sort of internet connection. Even single player games are doing this now.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
What a time to be alive. The lead-up to this gen was a fascinating thing to be a part of. So many twists and turns. I don't know if it'll ever be topped.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
The TV stuff really reeked of out of touch old dudes making decisions. I remember my middle-aged manager at the time being stoked about the TV stuff. It was a little awkward when I told him I didn't even have cable.

I even loved the original Kinect, but waited for the Kinect-less version. Man, those decisions were bad.