• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
That conference was so horrible. You saw them completely lose touch with their audience and try to sell this all in one media device. After they crashed and burned, Sony only needed to come out and say, "Yeah, all that shit they're doing, we're doing the opposite".

This was one of the best burns of all time.

I'm glad MS is starting to turn things around. Just get them damn exclusives going and we'll have ourselves a fight!

Grimace McRib

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I remember being really disappointed knowing that my friends wouldn't likely migrate over to the PS4 and I'd have to go through a watered down experience. Thank god they turned things around.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
I mostly go Sony+Nintendo so the reveal wasn't devastating. I still felt bad for Microsoft though. There were plenty of 360 games I was jealous of but almost nothing this gen. Plus nobody likes smug Sony. Microsoft's new approach really feels like they have learned lessons though.

I miss when people called it the x-bone. I don't see people doing that very often anymore.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This reveal and the early years represented everything I hated about Xbox and I am glad it failed miserably.

Now with Game Pass, Xbox One X, Kinect dead and buried, backwards compatibility and a significant investment in first party games we're back on track.

Definitely a tale of two halves.

The reveal was super disappointing and it sucked seeing a lot of friends switching over and playing on Xbox 360 all gen, but it was understandable.

I'm glad that this reveal got all that heat and that Microsoft got their ass kicked because it pushed them to do better and correct a lot of their issues, they still have to fix a few more but they should be good to go by next gen, if they would've been successful, we probably wouldn't have had GamePass, BC etc

I'm excited for both Sony/MS, can't wait to see what they come up with.

tatotiburon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Killa
i really miss snap tv..

Amazing how things change for the better, how the console itself survived all the hate and people saying that microsoft was doomed...

ChaosZeroX

Oct 26, 2017
I remember being in tears from a montage of the Xbox Conference. TV TV TV TV TV SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS CALL OF DUTY CALL OF DUTY.

IT was absolutely hysterical and sad at the same time.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I sat slack-jawed at what was unfolding in front of me.........I thought I was tuning in to watch the reveal of a next gen games console.......still not sure what I actually got,lol.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Xbox had achieved everything they wanted from the previous gen. Then Don Mattrick, sitting atop Xbox Landing, decided to torch his Xbox fans. His Mad Queen turn wasn't earned either.

With Phil Spencer now on the throne, Xbox looks like it's on a solid path to recover.

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
'If you're backwards compatible, you're really backwards'

Man, 2013 was a really long time ago

That conference was so horrible. You saw them completely lose touch with their audience and try to sell this all in one media device. After they crashed and burned, Sony only needed to come out and say, "Yeah, all that shit they're doing, we're doing the opposite".

To be honest, they lost touch with their core audience starting around 2010/2011 or so. The focus on exclusive titles switched almost entirely to Kinect based games. As a 360 owner primarily from 2005-2010, I spent 2011 building a new PC and then bought a PS3 in 2013 to play all the exclusives.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really great ui/hardware/controller design. Would have loved to own one of these instead of a ps4, but the price/performance/games just weren't worth it to me.

CrypticSlayer

Oct 27, 2017
In a weird way if it wasn't for the negative effects of this reveal, the brand wouldn't be heading in a more positive direction. Sadly though gems like SO and QB died for it.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I remember literally facepalming when Don Mattrick revealed the console's name. I remember Sony was restoring their gamer-focused cred at the time while MS were all down on Kinect for multiple E3s in the row, and it was frustrating a lot of the userbase at the time. To have that carry on was a bit tone def.

Plus there wasn't any fancy tech demos or anything, there was literally wireframe Fifa for god's sake.

Feb 10, 2018
I remember watching E3 2013 and being impressed by ryses graphics, titan fall and sunset overdrive, quantum break etc then when I checked the gaf thread I was like "did I even watch the same conference" the toxicity was on another level.

Feb 10, 2018
'If you're backwards compatible, you're really backwards'

Man, 2013 was a really long time ago

To be honest, they lost touch with their core audience starting around 2010/2011 or so. The focus on exclusive titles switched almost entirely to Kinect based games. As a 360 owner primarily from 2005-2010, I spent 2011 building a new PC and then bought a PS3 in 2013 to play all the exclusives.

Seems like a crazy thing to say considering they built in hardware to make 360 BC easier.

Matrick really lost the plot, was so out of touch.

Deleted member 55421

Banned
Mar 29, 2019
Xbox One is my primary console this gen but i have to say, what a disappointing gen for MS this time around. They could never regain momentum from that initial launch fisco. Plus, the first party stuff has been mostly average at best. Im sure theyre just anxious for next gen to get started at this point. They better be ready this time around.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
And everybody was so excited before the event - the tent on the MS campus even had its own twitter account.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Literally 2 weeks (between their reveal and E3) of PR nightmare for the Redmond company.

God, I feel so bad for their marketing team during that time.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This was a crazy time. The reveal was bizarre and the whole 180 on the always online stuff and the no trades etc. The hardware itself was honestly really bad, I was so underwhelmed when I got mine. Fast forward to Xbox One X and they've reversed alot of the negativity, put out a better console in every way and are working hard to give gamers what they want. Still got a ways to go but they are on the right track and it's looking good going forward.

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
Because of that reveal I was only PS4 until last year, Got an Xbox One S, beautiful design finally, great games and services. If they have sticked to that narrow vision of gaming I will be only a PS4 guy this generation. But surprisingly I play a lot more on Xbox One. Last year around the same time Xbox wasn't even in my radar.

Microsoft you were this close to loose me this generation.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Hmn. I would imagine Phil had a say in it. Has he ever taken a share of the responsibility for the reveal?
Responsibility was not on his really tho. He was head of studios. But he said many times he is 'to blame" also as he was in the meetings and part of the leaders group.
Thought this was intresting Spencer said during that big speech last year. The Xbox team was really in a bad place also.

"I'd been in the role a month when I had the oppurtunity to speak to everyone in the team at an all-hands meeting," Spencer recalled. "The team was in a world of pain, we hadn't done our best work with the announce of Xbox One, the product we'd built wasn't meeting the expectations of our customers, market share [was] taking a nosedive and it was painful to read all the headlines. Plus, most importantly, the [Xbox] team thought that the leadership team had gone totally tone deaf about what our customers were demanding from us.

"I knew I had to do more than just communicate our strategy to our customers, I had to win back our team's trust. So we chose to tell our team some confidential news we couldn't take public for a couple of months. As well as the strategy behind that decision, thousands of my team heard the news that day and the amazing thing is - word didn't leak. Not one tweet, not one forum post. That was a significant milestone in our journey to rebuild trust between the leaders and the team. It was about empathy, and addressing their worries and trusting them first."

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was gutted with what they revealed, the poor specs, the design...I still bought it day one though solely to play Dead Rising 3.

But I love my One X now and Game Pass is a stellar service.

Oct 27, 2017
A dreadful reveal but in truth I've always had a soft spot for the Xbox One. I even liked the original hardware, and Titanfall was such an exciting. I've probably spent the majority of this gen on Xbox and they've done some great things recently. Backwards Compatibility has been incredible.

That said, I recently dug back into my PS4 and I'm currently in catch up mode with Sony exclusives. Recently finished God of War and it's probably the best game I've played this generation. Instantly in the conversation for my own GOAT lists. Ultimately that's the way the gen has gone.

Dot-N-Run

Oct 27, 2017

Wow this is pretty much exactly what happened with me. I never bought a kinect so my interest slowly dwindled in the system.

In hindsight, this reveal event really was just the logical endpoint of the new direction that Microsoft had already started a few years prior. I'm glad that they have since reversed the trend, and have made great strides in other areas too (backwards compatibility, that accessible controller, etc.).

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I remember watching E3 2013 and being impressed by ryses graphics, titan fall and sunset overdrive, quantum break etc then when I checked the gaf thread I was like "did I even watch the same conference" the toxicity was on another level.

We're not actually talking about the E3 2013 conference.

This the the Xbox One reveal that was held on May 21st and everyone was genuinely flabbergasted by how off-message it was. That's not "toxicity", it's how it was.

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
Remember when all the always online and Kinect rumours were going round, was so sure Microsoft would not be that blind. Effectively trying to sell a console for americans alone, but failing to understand the market wasn't ready for such, also having the guts to charge $500 for a weaker console. It's like they collected whatever nintendo was smoking with the Wiiu.

The reveal was sad, made sure I was not going anywhere near a Xbox, they have turned it around and if I had cash I would own am Xbox x. Men time flies. I wished the market reacted this way with online playwall though

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
The Xbox One X is such a fantastic designed console. I don't game much on it since i'm more of a PC gamer, but Microsoft has mad fantastic strives this gen for consumers. BC, Play Anywhere etc. This gens PS3

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
The day Microsoft handed Sony a free pass for the generation.

I was actually talking about this with my friends last week, remember how parties and invites worked when the X1 launched? You just wait around and...maybe you'd be connected to a friend, or more likely absolutely nothing would happen at all. What a fucking disaster.

It's incredibly they've managed to turn shit around as much as they have.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
The three weeks or so that spanned the Xbox One reveal and Jack Tretton's shit-eating grin at the Sony conference at E3 were pure magic that can never be replicated.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I owned a 360 since day one and was so excited about the prospect of a new Xbox. Then the reveal happened and holy fuck, I wasn't on board at all. I've never been a fan of anything Sony, yet, after that reveal I thought "maybe I'll have to bite my balls and buy a PS4". That's what I did in the end and I felt miserable until Bloodborne and Persona happened (I switched from PS4 to Pro too) When they revealed the X and Gamepass, I said "time to jump ship." I'm glad I did, as I've been super happy with my X and I've been playing it way more than I ever played my PS4.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
The three weeks or so that spanned the Xbox One reveal and Jack Tretton's shit-eating grin at the Sony conference at E3 were pure magic that can never be replicated.

Or for me three weeks + of being sick to my stomach. What a shit show. I never want to see Mattrick, Yusuf & crew near an XBOX product again. Penello and Major aged 10 years those first 6 months.

Feb 10, 2018
We're not actually talking about the E3 2013 conference.

This the the Xbox One reveal that was held on May 21st and everyone was genuinely flabbergasted by how off-message it was. That's not "toxicity", it's how it was.

I'm sorry I didn't realise this thread was restricted to the unveal event.

And why do QUOTE me saying something about E3 2013 but use it for the unviel event?

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
Responsibility was not on his really tho. He was head of studios. But he said many times he is 'to blame" also as he was in the meetings and part of the leaders group.
Thought this was intresting Spencer said during that big speech last year. The Xbox team was really in a bad place also.
That's cool. I've never read that before.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I still bought an xbox one because of Halo, but I remember that the xbox one reveal was a prime example of how not to it, and how to burn your customer's base goodwill.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Yes, this was a low point in MS/Xbox history. However, they've really turned the tide. I feel they have not been rewarded with sales numbers the Xbox One X would deserve after offering a much better product with great services though. Maybe with the next Xbox and more exclusive content, they finally will be successful again.