• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this has already been posted but: General advice for people playing 5 for the first time.

--5 is a huge-ass game. It's still the biggest Yakuza game and is easily at least twice as big as 0 in terms of total gameplay content. It's probably the reason they settled on no more than two playable characters and two cities per game afterwards.

--Each of the characters has this entire significant side quest that's as long as their main quest and involves some wacky day job. The gameplay in each is okay but I actually got swept up in them because I got invested in the characters.

--'lotta Majima backstory in Yakuza 5.

--The prison Saejima stays in is based on a real prison that featured in a documentary and at least one Yakuza movie back in the 70's or something.

--You're gonna wanna do some of the side combat training stuff as Kiriyu, otherwise the final boss (who comes out of fucking nowhere) is gonna be almost unbeatable.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Skipping 1 is silly... It introduces Haruka which is reason enough to play it. Not to mention it still has one of the best final bosses in the series (something the series after Yakuza 3 really struggles with) and aside from that one chapter that feels like filler (the deadbeat dads chapter) its a pretty speedy playthrough. Heck, the original Yakuza 1 (which still plays fine btw, aside from some camera and lockon issues, hardly gamebreaking) is the quickest 100% in the series. Again, like 4's I'd argue its problem is the opposite to glacial pacing but rather just not expanding enough on certain characters (something Kiwami rectifies... but then overdoes it with a bit too much Majima). Kiwami plays basically like a less refined 0 because it takes 0s excellent mechanics but doesn't really rebalance the design from 1's levels to compensate... that said, it really does enhance a few boss fights thanks to its superior combat (like Lau or Shimano 2 and even Arase benefits from the speedier movement of Rush style). Pity that Shimano 1 is two/three times as long as its previous boss fight, and that Majima's battles get a massive drop in difficulty compared to the original.
Its why if you can, instead of skipping 1, try and play both 1/2 and Kiwami 1/2 to see the differences between the two. 2 especially is an interesting case of both original and remake doing certain things better and worse than each other. But of course that means you need to track down a PS2/PS3/Wii U/emulate the originals on PC (and learn Japanese for the PS3/Wii U option) but its still worth doing if your a super fan of the series.

People playing this series need to at least watch a story recap of 1. It's too important to the stories of the later games, especially 6.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
--The prison Saejima stays in is based on a real prison that featured in a documentary and at least one Yakuza movie back in the 70's or something.

I'm curious as to what this documentary is, got a title? I'd love to check it out. Also, on replaying 5 last year, those dream sequences from the prison really could have been cut. I initially thought they built back story for one of the inmates, but I feel like at least one of them could be cut with absolutely no harm to the game content, and actually improve the pace in that part.

Oh, and speaking of the prison section, in Saejima's first chapter, its worth exploring Kamurocho before that happens in order to level up a few times and unlock a few moves. Makes the next few fights easier, and way more fun.

People playing this series need to at least watch a story recap of 1. It's too important to the stories of the later games, especially 6.
Totally. It introduces so many main stay characters for the next several games. And I just can't suggest skipping the game either, because some of those long fights rock, and its just not a long enough game that I feel like it needs skipping (and 0 builds it up so darn well that skipping it feels like it'd be doing one particular character a huge disservice).
Plus personally speaking, 1 has some of my favourite characters in the series, even if they are sorta under developed due to the simpler story. Pity it also has the worst boss fight in the series as well, which bafflingly enough was never fixed for Kiwami 1 (you had the perfect chance to correct that Nagoshi!)

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man I'm tempted but...I feel I'll get burnt out on 3 easily and the rest will just gather dust.

Shibi

Oct 25, 2017
Yea. While 1 (and Kiwami 1) is among the worst Yakuza games overall, I would highly recommend playing it anyway. Luckily it's relatively short and easy. Furthermore, while Yakuza games don't tie-in to each other very much, they almost all tie in to Yakuza 1 in one way or another. I'm also one of the few who considers 1 to have one of the best stories in the franchise.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Skipping 1 is silly... It introduces Haruka which is reason enough to play it. Not to mention it still has one of the best final bosses in the series (something the series after Yakuza 3 really struggles with) and aside from that one chapter that feels like filler (the deadbeat dads chapter) its a pretty speedy playthrough. Heck, the original Yakuza 1 (which still plays fine btw, aside from some camera and lockon issues, hardly gamebreaking) is the quickest 100% in the series. Again, like 4's I'd argue its problem is the opposite to glacial pacing but rather just not expanding enough on certain characters (something Kiwami rectifies... but then overdoes it with a bit too much Majima). Kiwami plays basically like a less refined 0 because it takes 0s excellent mechanics but doesn't really rebalance the design from 1's levels to compensate... that said, it really does enhance a few boss fights thanks to its superior combat (like Lau or Shimano 2 and even Arase benefits from the speedier movement of Rush style). Pity that Shimano 1 is two/three times as long as its previous boss fight, and that Majima's battles get a massive drop in difficulty compared to the original.
Its why if you can, instead of skipping 1, try and play both 1/2 and Kiwami 1/2 to see the differences between the two. 2 especially is an interesting case of both original and remake doing certain things better and worse than each other. But of course that means you need to track down a PS2/PS3/Wii U/emulate the originals on PC (and learn Japanese for the PS3/Wii U option) but its still worth doing if your a super fan of the series.
I'm not saying outright skip it, I'm saying watch the cutscenes on Youtube. You're right, it sets a LOT of foundation for the series but it's also full of garbage. Hell, the first chapter where you have to go on a wild goose chase for a ring is emblematic of the game's pacing issues, and they never really get resolved. I'll also say: playing it on Legend is an exercise in frustration. Zero and Kiwami 2 (the only other two I've played on Legend) feel balanced and fair, just difficult. Kiwami 1 on Legend makes me think nobody even playtested it at all. It's bad.

If someone wants the whole story, yes they should absolutely play it themselves. But I would not, at all, blame someone for giving up on it.

As a first game? There's no way it's a better place to start than Zero.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying outright skip it, I'm saying watch the cutscenes on Youtube. You're right, it sets a LOT of foundation for the series but it's also full of garbage. Hell, the first chapter where you have to go on a wild goose chase for a ring is emblematic of the game's pacing issues, and they never really get resolved. I'll also say: playing it on Legend is an exercise in frustration. Zero and Kiwami 2 (the only other two I've played on Legend) feel balanced and fair, just difficult. Kiwami 1 on Legend makes me think nobody even playtested it at all. It's bad.

If someone wants the whole story, yes they should absolutely play it themselves. But as a first game? There's no way it's a better place to start than Zero.
Never said it was a better place to start with 0, not sure why you'd bring that up. My point was solely not skipping playing the game, that's it.

As for pacing in Kiwami, sure that added ring hunt is pointless (well, almost pointless, I like Shinji's dialogue) but 1 still doesn't have this glacial pacing when compared to the other games. I mean, 3 which is included in this collection has a really slow start, the first few chapters. 6's prologue and first chapter is pretty damn long and at many points linear, and heck Yakuza 7's first few hours serve as a set up for Ichiban and other main characters. In contrast, 1's first few hours are much faster paced and aside from one filler chapter I don't really agree that its glacial in its approach to story telling or pacing.

Also, sure it sucks playing parts on Legend, but no one playing 1 for the first time will experience that, what with that difficulty being a unlockable after clearing the game. So again, not sure what it has to do with skipping playing the game in favor for just the cutscenes.

Jul 24, 2018
I disagree with the first Yakuza being a better starting place than 0. The first Yakuza has aged like milk. It introduces a bunch of characters that don't do much, the plot is all over the place, the pacing is glacial. Honestly, as someone replaying the entire series on Legend (I'm about 2/3 through Kiwami 2), I might actually say to play Zero and then, unless you REALLY want to see the full thing, skip 1/Kiwami and just watch the cutscenes on Youtube or something.
So I naturally don't agree with this for a list of reasons. First of all, it introduces a lot of important recurrent characters and the story in the game is also heavily tied to what happens in the sequel.
The reason I feel one should play these games in chronological order to be honest, before doing 0 is the same reason for why one should not play Snake Eater before Metal Gear Solid 1. Sure, Snake Eater/0 are mechanically better games, and some would argue a better story (I honestly liked the story in Yakuza 2 or Ishin the best etc the opinions vary on that)most people would consider them the best so they want new people to go in with a good first impression from the get go to keep their interests so that they play the other ones too but I don't think that would make a difference. Considering that these games have been developed on a snares foundation of sequels with similar mechanics in both story and gameplay. You could honestly start with almost any entry in the series, I know a few who started with 4 for instance. Plus the story in both examples do a lot of callbacks to prior entries in the series that would honestly hit closer to home if you play those first. Yakuza 0 references some significant story events in Yakuza 4, quite a few prominent characters from Yakuza 1 and 2 shows up which won't really mean much with any prior knowledge.
Then there is also the way Majima is written in 0 which doesn't gel with his crazy persona he was introduced with in Yakuza 1 and 2, where he is basically just an asshole who messes with Kiryu, and only sort of develop into the kind of character he is in 0 in Yakuza 3 and 4. In retrospect, as big of a fan of this series as I am, I honestly never really found the storytelling in these games to be all that amazing. They are littered with ludicrous plot twists and characters acting stupid for no reason other than drama, which got old by the time of Yakuza 4 and 5 haha. Judgment and 0 are genuinely well written though I'll say, I also like Ishin's story it's generally always been its charming characters like Akiyama that makes the story of men constantly going unto to the top of skyscrapers to have a shirtless fist fight be engaging to me. Plus I like bashing faces into the pavement.

Another reason would be the gameplay. The gameplay in the remakes, and 0, are modernized whereas 3 and 4 isn't, so playing the games out of release order will inevitably feel jarring in the long run. This is why I wish they had brought over the HD Remasters of the original games as well since they have slightly updated combat that plays similarly to the PS3 titles. But Yakuza is a series with a big history that Sega now has to try their best to impose on new fans, and it is tough.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Also noteworthy about Kiwami 1. It's pretty darn fun. You've got quite a big moveset. It's on the most refined version of the PS3 engine, which always feels crunchy, precise and very cathartic. Also, it's got a bit of challenge, something that some of the surrounding games are missing.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Still need to finish Kiwami 2. Hopefully by the time I do this gets announced for PC.

Excited to eventually play it nonetheless. Will miss Kiryu.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Never said it was a better place to start with 0, not sure why you'd bring that up. My point was solely not skipping playing the game, that's it.

As for pacing in Kiwami, sure that added ring hunt is pointless (well, almost pointless, I like Shinji's dialogue) but 1 still doesn't have this glacial pacing when compared to the other games. I mean, 3 which is included in this collection has a really slow start, the first few chapters. 6's prologue and first chapter is pretty damn long and at many points linear, and heck Yakuza 7's first few hours serve as a set up for Ichiban and other main characters. In contrast, 1's first few hours are much faster paced and aside from one filler chapter I don't really agree that its glacial in its approach to story telling or pacing.

Also, sure it sucks playing parts on Legend, but no one playing 1 for the first time will experience that, what with that difficulty being a unlockable after clearing the game. So again, not sure what it has to do with skipping playing the game in favor for just the cutscenes.
I brought it up because my original post was about definitely not starting with Kiwami, which I further expanded into "maybe just don't play Kiwami at all."

Frankly, I think the pacing in 1 is way worse than in 3. Sure, 3 starts slow. But at the same time, it's a ramp up, with the bottom of the ramp being Kiryu running an orphanage and the end of it being political scandals and whatnot. Yakuza 1 starts slow (the ring garbage) but then quickly becomes interesting (The Dojima/Nishiki/Yumi thing) but then after that the pacing is all over the place. You bounce between saving a little girl who might know where Yumi is, to helping Date and his daughter make amends. The game spends less time on a key character getting shot than it does on those three street gangs who don't matter at all to this game or the overall series. At some point you have to find someone who can forge documents in a bit that takes way too long to justify one kinda lame plot twist. Then at some point you have to help the Florist's kid who he clearly doesn't care about? There's just SO MUCH narrative meandering that it makes playing the game a slog on any difficulty.

I should maybe rephrase my point like this: Do I think people should play Kiwami to get the full story of this incredible series? Yes, absolutely. Would I blame someone for not wanting to actually play it? Not at all.

SevenOfRhyme

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
As someone who started with 0 and recently finished 4 remastered, just start with 0. There were some really wild moments, especially in 4, that I enjoyed because I played 0 first. And honestly, only 3 sucks gameplay wise since most enemies block way too much. 4 felt a lot closer to 0/K1&2.

I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow so I gotta wait a week to play 5, but at least I have something to look forward to when I get back :)

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I would agree with playing Yakuza 1 before 0 only if you are willing to play the original version, not Kiwami, which assumes you've played 0. And the original has terrible load times.

So, for 99% of the possible audience, I recommend 0 first because Kiwami 1 & 2 build off it.

It doesn't hurt that 0 is a really truly great game, and specifically a much better game than 1 or Kiwami.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Just got my copy!-
yakuza_remastered.jpg

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Y5 plays and feel so good to me, I'm loving it.

Also just like usual, playing hard mode and getting my ass kicked by thugs on the first proper fight.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Beat all of these before, but I haven't played through the US version of 5 and this was in 2012 so I think it's time to revisit these titles in 60fps glory! Also love the idea of the Yakuza 5 PS3 case btw.

The whole yakuza collection is now at your fingertips. There's no excuses to get into the series now!

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Just got my copy as well. There's a message from each of the directors and producers from 3-5 on the inside of the case which is quite nice.

I'll finally play 5! I remember starting a new game in 5 roughly when this collection was announced, so I decided to wait to play it in a higher res at 60fps. Can't wait!

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I should look up all the stuff that was changed/removed from 3, if I played the original back in the day, this would've made for an interesting revisit. I just know some side stories & mini games like the hostess club were removed.

Also what the hell, a free theme but only for digital owners? Bummer, would've been a nice bonus for waiting for the physical version.

Shibi

Oct 25, 2017
In the original Y3 Western release 20+ sub stories were removed (including some of the more memorable ones), visiting hostess clubs was removed, though you could still do the dates with hostesses, they'd just be at the normal locations you meet them at. The #1 hostess minigame (available in Y4) was removed as well. All have been restored in the remastered release.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, over 20 of them? I knew some got removed but not THAT many. Looks like shogi & mahjong were removed as well, which....I KINDA understand the logic of "most Americans don't know how to play", but at the same time, no harm in just leaving them in.

Oh cool, the case for the discs has a bunch of messages from the producers & directors of the series.....also holy crap Yakuza is 15 years old & there's been 8 main games, dead souls, Fist of the North Star, & Judgment. Geeeeez. Also cool, now I have two Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio stickers, the first being included with Judgment.

Now to figure out where to put this on the shelf. I wanna put it between Kiwami 2 & 6, but it goes against my alphabetical sorting...

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Another reason would be the gameplay. The gameplay in the remakes, and 0, are modernized whereas 3 and 4 isn't, so playing the games out of release order will inevitably feel jarring in the long run. This is why I wish they had brought over the HD Remasters of the original games as well since they have slightly updated combat that plays similarly to the PS3 titles. But Yakuza is a series with a big history that Sega now has to try their best to impose on new fans, and it is tough.

I agree, Yakuza 1&2 are still my favourite versions of these games - the Kiwami versions look tacky especially when they remake the old cutscenes in those newer engines.

MsMuerta

Nov 8, 2017
I want an entire game just based off Haruka's chapter in Y5.

But with actual fighting to kick some shady producers' asses

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
I brought it up because my original post was about definitely not starting with Kiwami, which I further expanded into "maybe just don't play Kiwami at all."

Frankly, I think the pacing in 1 is way worse than in 3. Sure, 3 starts slow. But at the same time, it's a ramp up, with the bottom of the ramp being Kiryu running an orphanage and the end of it being political scandals and whatnot. Yakuza 1 starts slow (the ring garbage) but then quickly becomes interesting (The Dojima/Nishiki/Yumi thing) but then after that the pacing is all over the place. You bounce between saving a little girl who might know where Yumi is, to helping Date and his daughter make amends. The game spends less time on a key character getting shot than it does on those three street gangs who don't matter at all to this game or the overall series. At some point you have to find someone who can forge documents in a bit that takes way too long to justify one kinda lame plot twist. Then at some point you have to help the Florist's kid who he clearly doesn't care about? There's just SO MUCH narrative meandering that it makes playing the game a slog on any difficulty.

No, I don't think that's remotely correct for two reasons.

1, the orphanage. Pacing in 1 is maybe a bit wonky but at least, it doesn't completely stop 75% in the game.
In 3, we have a slow start in the first chapters where you get a 5mn "prologue" bit that shows you when the story starts, then you pretty much do errands for the kids for 3 chapters before finally leaving for Kamurocho. Then, after the story ramps up and the answers start to pile, the game decides to just stop for 2 chapters just before the end to make you do errands again. Some people may like to just forget that you're in a Yakuza story but I think there is a reason the orphanage part gets completely forgotten in Y4, 5 & 6. It's not the reason people play the game.

And a big 2, the gameplay in Kiwami is good, being the most refined "old engine" gameplay we have and will have now.

If you play 0, there are some of the bits that get an ending in Kiwami. It's also the shortest game in the series. There is no point in skipping Kiwami, if people don't like it, they clearly will have issues going through 3.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 3 Hard Mode is some BS.

Enemies keep blocking and Kiryu was doing such a small amount of damage to the Chapter 3 boss even though I had weapons and all the upgrades I could possibly get at the time, like if the other bosses are like this I might just turn the difficulty down to normal cause this game so far has what I absolutely hate about hard mode in some games.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
...gave in and bought 5 standalone digitally.

I tried 4 way back when and found it too intimidating with all you could do, so hopefully I get into the groove this time.

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
Man I remember getting a PS Now subscription to power through Yakuza 5 because 6 was about to come out. I don't remember anything except the bear and the ending.

I really do want to check out 3 again because it was the first Yakuza game I ever played, but I might wait for a discount.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Started Yakuza 3. Never played the original on PS3 for some reason.
Yeah, its battles are downright bad, ennemies have way too much health and they spend way too much time blocking. I'm interested in the story and Okinawa seems like a nice change of pace but battles are so boring...

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, didn't know you got some bonuses for save data.

Yakuza series: Ukiyo Bell
Fist of the North Star & Judgment: Gold Plate

Guessing these apply to 4 as well, or at least the fact you get some items. Always appreciate save data bonuses, even if they're not all that great/helpful.

3 is going to be interesting, it seems to be the black sheep of the main series to the point there was a side story making reference to its reception if I remember correctly. I wanna say it was in...Kiwami 2? It was with a film director trying to make a sequel after everyone hated the 3rd movie & how it wasn't as good as the first two.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Got mine! Had no idea I'd be getting a PS3 case. If only it held both discs because I hate the flimsy ass fold out thing they got the actual discs in. SEGA HEY. Please stop trying to be fancy with this series packaging. Just gimme normal ass PS4 cases!

0 - normal case hooray
Kiwami - steelbook of shit
6 - book book of what even is this
3/4/5 - fold out hunk of junk thing

Please, no more.

On another note why the the heck are there Day 1 patches for these???? They're remasters ffs! An 3 & 4 have been "out" for like half a year now >_<!

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza 5 is so damn good still. I just spent the whole day just going around doing side stuff.

Sure, you could argue the story gets so damn corny and weird at the end (especially at the finale without going into spoilers). But over all the game is one of the best in the series. I love the series for the brawling and it is at it's best here (pre style systems) and you get so much minigames and side stuff it is insane.

For those looking dor something as good as zero (story finale aside) then this is the game for you.

Last edited:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
*can't pause cutscenes in Yakuza 3*

Damn it.

Already, something seems......off with the story. Who are these guys that just appear out of nowhere? Why be all "yeah so this major character in 2? We're writing her out of the sequel....and the series" to the point some of the characters even question it.

Also I will always walk slow so Haruka can hold Kiryu's hand, like a good father would.

Shibi

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 5 is so damn good still. I juat spent the whole day just going around doing side stuff.

Sure, you could argue the story gets so damn corny and weird at the end (especially at the finale without going into spoilers). But over all the game is one of the best in the series. I love the series for the brawling and it is at it's best here (pre style systems) and you get so much minigames and side stuff it is insane.

For those looking dor something as good as zero (story finale aside) then this is the game for you.
It's not a popular opinion but Yakuza 5 is my favorite game in the franchise. So much content, Another Dramas, huge cities, and Haruka's silly rhythm battles. There is so much to do, and it's almost all enjoyable. While the story does get a bit ridiculous, I still like it.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol how could anyone say that starting with 0 is bad. Everyone should start with 0.

...gave in and bought 5 standalone digitally.

I tried 4 way back when and found it too intimidating with all you could do, so hopefully I get into the groove this time.

That's like saying spice level 8 is too high for you and after all of that you take spice level 9. Enjoy :D

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not a popular opinion but Yakuza 5 is my favorite game in the franchise. So much content, Another Dramas, huge cities, and Haruka's silly rhythm battles. There is so much to do, and it's almost all enjoyable. While the story does get a bit ridiculous, I still like it.
Exactly.

I personally like the story up until they try tying everything together and forcing certain characters into the final battle for the sake of an "everyone is her" moment. Not to mention the overusing of "dreams". Other than that I love each story. Kiryu's taxi drama, Saejima's jail adventures, Haruka's idol career that showcases that trash that is the idol industry and how creepy it is. And of course Shinada'ss struggle life.

3 is the best told story in the PS3 trilogy and 4 is the worst over all in the story. 5 is the best over all game though.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone having problems with 3's combat... make sure your doing side stories to get EXP and also get the Komaki moves asap. Kiryu gets really strong pretty fast - Tiger Drop is unlocked in something like chapter 4/5 and its your key to victory. Then again, I loved the defensive enemies in 3, because after that game the AI for enemies go braindead and the games have been damn easy ever since even on harder difficulties. I miss those pre 4 days when Yakuza had difficulty....

Is bowling in yakuza 5?
Yeah, you can go bowling in 2/5 cities.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Just got mine delivered from Amazon, and it's...just the digipak with a shipping label on it? No box or envelope or anything? Has anyone ever had Amazon do this before?

It's not particularly damaged and I don't care about the slipcase, but...this seems kind of shitty? Thank goodness it has plastic wrapping.

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
Anyone having problems with 3's combat... make sure your doing side stories to get EXP and also get the Komaki moves asap. Kiryu gets really strong pretty fast - Tiger Drop is unlocked in something like chapter 4/5 and its your key to victory. Then again, I loved the defensive enemies in 3, because after that game the AI for enemies go braindead and the games have been damn easy ever since even on harder difficulties. I miss those pre 4 days when Yakuza had difficulty....

Yeah, you can go bowling in 2/5 cities.
Sweet

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Does hitting the PS button pause the game?
Maybe. I need to test this out.

Just did the fighting tutorial &....I know this was the first PS3 entry so it's the first of that particular engine, but wow this feels underwhelming. The heat actions, while still cool, don't have that same....punch to them. Also it was mentioned already, but man do enemies like to block. I guess I should see that as making use of grabbing them, but I have a feeling it's gonna get annoying later on. Or maybe it'll get better once I get stronger.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Just got home and downloading 5 now. Cannot wait to play it again after having to deal with the PS Now version 2 years ago.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe. I need to test this out.

Just did the fighting tutorial &....I know this was the first PS3 entry so it's the first of that particular engine, but wow this feels underwhelming. The heat actions, while still cool, don't have that same....punch to them. Also it was mentioned already, but man do enemies like to block. I guess I should see that as making use of grabbing them, but I have a feeling it's gonna get annoying later on. Or maybe it'll get better once I get stronger.
One thing I noticed that earlier Yakuza games lack is that sound effect when you execute a heat move... I think its added in 5? It makes a huge difference for me for some reason, replaying the earlier games and noticing they don't have it was bizarrely disappointing for me.