• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I noticed that earlier Yakuza games lack is that sound effect when you execute a heat move... I think its added in 5? It makes a huge difference for me for some reason, replaying the earlier games and noticing they don't have it was bizarrely disappointing for me.
That sound effect not being there was the moment something felt off. I also wish the icon wasn't off in the corner, makes it a bit annoying checking to see of it's there while keeping your eyes on the fight, but that might've also been in the other PS3 titles & I just forgot.

At the very least, this is the start of Dad Kiryu, which is great.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta love it, UPS always drops by the office by 11am to drop off packages and they're nowhere to be seen today and I'm almost out of here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That sound effect not being there was the moment something felt off. I also wish the icon wasn't off in the corner, makes it a bit annoying checking to see of it's there while keeping your eyes on the fight, but that might've also been in the other PS3 titles & I just forgot.

At the very least, this is the start of Dad Kiryu, which is great.
Dad Kiryu and best orphan Taichi is some of my favourite bits in 3. Its a slower pace sure, but it uses it to its advantage most of the time. I just wish certain moves didn't need to be unlocked in every game (like the stomp heat move, the dodge attack etc. those should be unlocked at the start of every game)

Playing 7 right now and I really wish we could get another golf course like 3 and 4 got... they've changed the golf mechanics slightly in 7 for the driving range, but I prefer the 9 hole course to the nearest pin challenges 5/Kiwami 2/7 have.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Dad Kiryu and best orphan Taichi is some of my favourite bits in 3. Its a slower pace sure, but it uses it to its advantage most of the time. I just wish certain moves didn't need to be unlocked in every game (like the stomp heat move, the dodge attack etc. those should be unlocked at the start of every game)
Agreed, the fact some of the regular heat moves like stomping a downed enemy has to be unlocked is weird & makes the beginning feel even more limited in terms of what you can do while fighting. 3 really does stand out in that it's the first PS3 era title in the series, so it's in that phase of figuring things out. I'm actually really interested in how 4 will turn out, i.e. what'll be changed & how close to 5 will it be.

I do like how one of the cities is one I haven't seen in other games. Always like visiting new locations in these games.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
3 is going to be interesting, it seems to be the black sheep of the main series to the point there was a side story making reference to its reception if I remember correctly. I wanna say it was in...Kiwami 2? It was with a film director trying to make a sequel after everyone hated the 3rd movie & how it wasn't as good as the first two.

ahah wow I've done that side story and you just blew my mind ahaha

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Huh, didn't know you got some bonuses for save data.

Yakuza series: Ukiyo Bell
Fist of the North Star & Judgment: Gold Plate

Guessing these apply to 4 as well, or at least the fact you get some items. Always appreciate save data bonuses, even if they're not all that great/helpful.

3 is going to be interesting, it seems to be the black sheep of the main series to the point there was a side story making reference to its reception if I remember correctly. I wanna say it was in...Kiwami 2? It was with a film director trying to make a sequel after everyone hated the 3rd movie & how it wasn't as good as the first two.
Yup, its in Kiwami 2.

And wow. Thats a reference to Y3? Hmmm. Wonder how I will experience this game.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Just got mine delivered from Amazon, and it's...just the digipak with a shipping label on it? No box or envelope or anything? Has anyone ever had Amazon do this before?

It's not particularly damaged and I don't care about the slipcase, but...this seems kind of shitty? Thank goodness it has plastic wrapping.
WTF?

I had mine delivered with a couple other items so it was all in a box.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
ahah wow I've done that side story and you just blew my mind ahaha
"I've only been responsible for one of them so far, Yakuza Sunset 3. The one everyone hated."

"Every forum on the net was in an uproar, talking about how Sunset 3 was a disgrace to the franchise. They were calling for me to step down, or worse."

Kiryu watching the movie: "but....there's something off about the action. It's supposed to be a yakuza movie, but the fights don't feel extreme enough."

"Hmm, I definitely liked it, but it wasn't perfect. Something felt...off about it"

"The action was subpar. It just felt like something was missing. This was supposed to be a yakuza film, but there was no impact. No thrill of the clash"

For those who wanna see the full context, it's substory 55, Yakuza Sunset. Knowing it's basically about 3's reputation makes it even better, I think.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
WTF?

I had mine delivered with a couple other items so it was all in a box.

Yeah, in all the years I've ordered from Amazon I've never had them do this. Might send something into customer service, just wondering if I want to deal with all that.

If there hadn't been some concern about this release being limited, I could have just gotten it at Best Buy. Probably going to do that moving forward.

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019
how do you get the ps4 theme? i ordered it from amazon but there's no code and i didn't get an email, and i can't just download it in the store

edit: oh it seems its only with digital purchases? bummer, but oh well

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, in all the years I've ordered from Amazon I've never had them do this. Might send something into customer service, just wondering if I want to deal with all that.

If there hadn't been some concern about this release being limited, I could have just gotten it at Best Buy. Probably going to do that moving forward.
I mean this has happened to me with big box items but nothing like this.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Packaging for these aint so great. Glad I'm getting physical copies of course just rather have real cases and the PS3 one does nothing for me as a 0 convert.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Does this collection (or any of the games in it) provide a recap for the previous games? I've only finished Kiwami and never played 0 or 2.

Picking up my copy later after work at Best Buy

Shadow Walker

Oct 27, 2017
Just got mine delivered from Amazon, and it's...just the digipak with a shipping label on it? No box or envelope or anything? Has anyone ever had Amazon do this before?

It's not particularly damaged and I don't care about the slipcase, but...this seems kind of shitty? Thank goodness it has plastic wrapping.
Mine was delivered like this as well a guy in a uhaul dropped it off it was strange. Mine is in great condition but still odd...

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Well, crap, hitting the PS button to go to the home menu doesn't pause the game. Oh well.

wombleac

Nov 8, 2017
If you have never played Yakuza, pace yourself. Play one then play a couple different games between then play another. The end of Five really pays off and is really emotional at least for me; I love these characters. This is my Game of Thrones(book version, never watched the show.)

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
Just started 0 today and within the first hour I smashed a guys head in a car door then violently kicked it shut with his head still in it. This series is amazing and it's gonna eat up hundreds of hours this year.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just started 0 today and within the first hour I smashed a guys head in a car door then violently kicked it shut with his head still in it. This series is amazing and it's gonna eat up hundreds of hours this year.
Just dont burn yourself by playing too many games tho, the story and gameplay/sidequest really worth it but if you play too many game, you are going to hit a plateau since the games are structured the same way. I'll say 0 is a masterpiece, Kiwami is basically 0.5, kiwami 2 was a different engine but i didnt get all the praise that yakuza 2 back on ps2 got. Yakuza 3 is an older engine but i kind of like the combat more than kiwami 2 to be honest. Also i like the new sidequest made specially for kiwami and kiwami 2 but you could really see the other sidequests and story being from a different time (made 15+ years ago) if you compared them to Zero for exemple. Haven't played yakuza 4-5-6 but hopefully the sidequest is going to get better with each games.

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
Just dont burn yourself by playing too many games tho, the story and gameplay/sidequest really worth it but if you play too many game, you are going to hit a plateau since the games are structured the same way. I'll say 0 is a masterpiece, Kiwami is basically 0.5, kiwami 2 was a different engine but i didnt get all the praise that yakuza 2 back on ps2 got. Yakuza 3 is an older engine but i kind of like the combat more than kiwami 2 to be honest. Also i like the new sidequest made specially for kiwami and kiwami 2 but you could really see the other sidequests and story being from a different time (made 15+ years ago) if you compared them to Zero for exemple. Haven't played yakuza 4-5-6 but hopefully the sidequest is going to get better with each games.
Thanks for the advice, I'm on pc so I'll rotate some different stuff between the Kiwamis, maybe Judgement later after that if it doesn't mess with the story order (12345 etc)

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any newbie tips for 5?

Just ran into a dude and played Shogi. I dunno what I'm doing

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
The day one edition isnt a metal case, is it? :/
Nope. Just picked my copy up. Comes with an extra ps3 case

gQywNSF.jpg

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Nope. Just picked my copy up. Comes with an extra ps3 case

gQywNSF.jpg

Damn. After the two Kiwami games came in a steelbook, I was expecting the silly two-disc thing to be a metal one as well. Oh well, my fault for hoping. Got it coming from amazon so I'm kinda stuck with it, too much effort to send it back lol, but oh well. Own the entire series now so it's something.

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoying 3 atm, barely in chapter 2. Visuals are a bit rough but that's to be expected. Can't wait to see where the story goes. Played 0-2 on PS4, own 6 but haven't played it. Gonna try to finish the series this year

Pace

Dec 15, 2018
Oh nice so we can finally buy the digital versions separately now. Just what I was waiting for since I only wanted one of them.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
qMiELuv.jpg

Just wanna soak this in some more. Good old 2009 Yakuza 3 having very useful an good options that 2019 Shenmue 3 did not!

Guess the movie subtitle ones not perfect though. Haruka's "bye bye!" to Sayama wasn't subbed, despite that scene being a movie-mode one.

Oh an the slow start of Yakuza 3 is 100% not the S tier gaming goodness that is running the orphanage. Oh no it isn't. Its Chapter 1 in which ya walk circles around a tiny slice of Kamurocho empting ta fill Haruka's bottomless stomach and go broke playing the UFO Catcher for her.

My copy of Kiwami is a regular PS4 case...
Lucky! Was given my copy months after launch an yet somehow it was the steelbook version >.<

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Random question: does Yakuza 3 have really hot/overexposed highlights at times on PS4 Pro? Most of the time it looks fine but sometimes in daylight the highlights from the sun are blinding, and it looks weird. I'm fine with it as long as it's not me or my setup screwing things up, just figured I'd ask.

In chapter 3 now, discovered the cabaret club in Okinawa. Was this really not in the PS3 version? It seems awfully familiar and I don't think it's because of the one from Yakuza 4 but I could be wrong. Weird how I probably bounced off this minigame back in the day but am now determined to make Kirie the number one hostess.

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
A solid 12 hours into Yakuza 3 and loving it, as expected.

I'm honestly surprised how good this game looks- as long as you don't zoom in on the textures. I think taking a break after Kiwami 2 helps ease you into 3, considering the progress in gameplay/presentation. I started the PS3 version back in December but dropped it and decided to wait for this collection to release before picking the story back up.

I went back to play the PS2 versions for the sake of completion and comparison. This is all from October 2019 and on, so it's quite fresh in my mind.

Yakuza - Dead Souls - 7/10. Honestly surprised by the story and cutscenes being so good. Needless to say, never start here lol.
Yakuza 0 - 9.5/10
Yakuza Kiwami - 8/10. Basically an expansion to 0.
Yakuza - 6/10. Felt like a chore to get through after Kiwami.
Yakuza Kiwami 2 - 9.5/10
Yakuza 2 - 6.5/10. The first one, but slightly better.
Yakuza Kenzan! - 6.5/10. Relying on internet guides really hurts this game. A localized version would certainly score higher.
Yakuza 3 - ??/10. We're just getting started!

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Random question: does Yakuza 3 have really hot/overexposed highlights at times on PS4 Pro? Most of the time it looks fine but sometimes in daylight the highlights from the sun are blinding, and it looks weird. I'm fine with it as long as it's not me or my setup screwing things up, just figured I'd ask.

In chapter 3 now, discovered the cabaret club in Okinawa. Was this really not in the PS3 version? It seems awfully familiar and I don't think it's because of the one from Yakuza 4 but I could be wrong. Weird how I probably bounced off this minigame back in the day but am now determined to make Kirie the number one hostess.
Cabaret clubs were excluded from the western release of 3 because Sega thought players wouldn't understand it. Clubs were in the game but they couldn't be entered. Thus, 3 in the Remastered Collection is the definitive edition.

My copy is arriving soon. I'm disappointed that the package is flimsy as I've heard similar impressions across the board. I'm curious to see how the standard edition looks when the product page is updated with the SE pictures. Whether I jump straight into 3 or play something else between it remains to be seen.
I can't seem to find any guides for yakuza 5, every other one yes.
I found one pretty quickly by CyricZ. He's written guides for pretty much every Yakuza game: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps3/644272-yakuza-5/faqs/72848

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
This arrived today and ew, I do not like the packaging. Chunky two case sized cardboard box to put on the shelf, and it doesn't even have a standard PS4 case inside to put the disks in instead.

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
Cabaret clubs were excluded from the western release of 3 because Sega thought players wouldn't understand it. Clubs were in the game but they couldn't be entered. Thus, 3 in the Remastered Collection is the definitive edition.

My copy is arriving soon. I'm disappointed that the package is flimsy as I've heard similar impressions across the board. I'm curious to see how the standard edition looks when the product page is updated with the SE pictures. Whether I jump straight into 3 or play something else between it remains to be seen.
I found one pretty quickly by CyricZ. He's written guides for pretty much every Yakuza game: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps3/644272-yakuza-5/faqs/72848
Cool thanks.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Was anything cut in the original English release of 5 added back here?
Only stuff cut in PS3 Yakuza was music, and no those were not added back into the PS4 version. Technically the PS3 game let you read untranslated manga in the Poppo Mart but that was cut in all regions for the PS4 no doubt due to licensing.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Oh god, the newly translated / localized dialogue in 5 is kinda bad sometimes. Big meh. Did they change the other games, too?

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
I started 3 last night, the story immediately hooked me with THAT REVELATION.

Once the game opened up a bit I fished as much as I could and the fully leveled up a cabaret club hostess

I love these games. I love Island Time Kiryu.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Oh god, the newly translated / localized dialogue in 5 is kinda bad sometimes. Big meh. Did they change the other games, too?
I believe they re-localized everything if not mostly everything. Can you expand on that? I won't get to play this for a bit but I'm curious. I thought it would be better since it's a lot of the same people that did 0-6/Judgment.

edit: Looks like it was the same team

Last edited:

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
So my copy which I accidentally didn't cancel from Amazon US arrived today.

That's 3 days to Ireland and it was in a jiffy bag and in immaculate condition. It takes longer for stuff to arrive from the UK (and sometimes Ireland), and usually in worse condition.

If it wasn't for import tax, I'd make a habit of this.

Back OT, I suppose I should get around to finishing Yakuza 6 so I can do 0-5 now.

Not to mention Judgment, 7 and Fist of the North Star.

I don't think I ever need another game as long as I live! I really hope PS5 back compat is a real thing.