• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
My only big gripe with 3 so far is not being able to pause cutscenes. Otherwise I'm acclimating to the gameplay fairly well. Bosses feel tanky too I suppose.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not being able to pause f'real stinks. This is the one series where I don't mind the, like, 30m cutscenes but if I haven't prepared for them I feel SOL

I know it's a bit stupid but just immediately go into rest mode? PS3 versions had the options by just going to the home menu though hmm

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
This arrived today and ew, I do not like the packaging. Chunky two case sized cardboard box to put on the shelf, and it doesn't even have a standard PS4 case inside to put the disks in instead.
I agree, it sucks. I'm actually bummed since taking Y5 out of the cardboard box would leave this crummy looking Remastered Flip Book on my shelf.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's a bit stupid but just immediately go into rest mode? PS3 versions had the options by just going to the home menu though hmm

Yeah, if I have to I'll do that. Thankfully I haven't been in a situation where I have to yet.

I love how often land speculation features in these games. It feels appropriately large-scale and weirdly bureaucratic.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Oof! I might be crazy enough to return the Day One Edition and wait a few weeks for the standard edition. The flimsy case doesn't sound worth it.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a separate non-first-press edition confirmed? I've only seen the Day One Edition announced, and it's not clear to me that there's a standard edition coming out later.

Also, yo, Yakuza 5 PS3 case.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Is there a separate non-first-press edition confirmed? I've only seen the Day One Edition announced, and it's not clear to me that there's a standard edition coming out later.

Also, yo, Yakuza 5 PS3 case.
The standard edition product page is up but there are no pictures of it yet. It currently has Day One Edition pictures. It's expected to ship the second week of March so it's going to be a while: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WNS15YQ/?th=1

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
The product description shows a picture of what might be the standard edition.
Ah, I see it now. For anyone either lazy to click the link or is at work and can't see it, this is what it looks like:

25741a99-852f-42bd-9467-9c9747224fe2.__CR0,0,1694,2259_PT0_SX300_V1___.jpg

It looks good IMHO. I've gotten annoyed by the cardboard slipcases that Kiwami, Kiwami 2, and 6 came since it's so flimsy. The steelbook case that Kiwami 1 and Kiwami 2 came in is quite nice though. I'm strongly considering returning the Day One edition so I'll think about it. I can wait for a month.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I see it now. For anyone either lazy to click the link or is at work and can't see it, this is what it looks like:

It looks good IMHO. I've gotten annoyed by the cardboard slipcases that Kiwami, Kiwami 2, and 6 came since it's so flimsy. The steelbook case that Kiwami 1 and Kiwami 2 came in is quite nice though. I'm strongly considering returning the Day One edition so I'll think about it. I can wait for a month.

Consider keeping your day 1 edition for the PS3 case and double dipping when the standard edition is inevitably $20!

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
*plays karaoke*

Boy, as a rhythm game fan, I sure don't miss the older style compared to the PS4 engine games. Damn sudden speed changes between lines.

Also guessing there was some licensing issues because all the songs not by Kiryu sound like vocaloids.

Edit: I play nine-ball on BEGINNER & the CPU managed to get 4 balls in a row on the FIRST TURN. I HATE POOL.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Also guessing there was some licensing issues because all the songs not by Kiryu sound like vocaloids.
How are you doing the other songs? Because unless you invite girls to sing with you (from hostess dates) you will get that vocaloid style song. Same for the rest of the series, its why I love 7 so much, no hoops to jump through to have friends sing Karaoke aside from recruiting them in the story.

And yeah, those random speed changes are like Miku or even Groove Coaster on how they catch me out sometime. DJMax spoiled me!

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I went with just Kiryu to get karaoke out of the way.

Tried the hostess mini-game. I think I found a combination that makes it so the women are efficient in each category, which doesn't have that same level of strategy of the cabaret club mini-game from 0. Maybe it'll be more involved when I continue it.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So is Sega putting a Bandai Namco game into 5 (Taiko) why BN turned around and advertised the Sega arcade in Digimon Cyber Sleuth?

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I'm a little disappointed by the day 1 edition packaging. As you said, it's incredibly flimsy.

A steelbook would have been nice. Always a sucker for those.

wombleac

Nov 8, 2017
So jealous of everyone playing these amazing games for the first time. Y'all are in for an amazing ride.

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
The crowd was already that dense in the ps3 version. It was one of the first things I noticed when I played it ~2 years ago. It took a massive step back in 4 and 5.
Good thing they took a step back on it, it's really a little OD and jarring tbh
Also: my GOD is the golf hard. Getting that plat is gonna be way harder than I thought - no wonder I never tried back on PS3.

Tried the hostess mini-game. I think I found a combination that makes it so the women are efficient in each category, which doesn't have that same level of strategy of the cabaret club mini-game from 0. Maybe it'll be more involved when I continue it.
It's definitely not the same scale - Y4's, mini-game is honestly quite repetitive and boring. Took me an entire grindy afternoon to get it done back then.

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely the Y3/Y4 version of the hostess management minigame isn't nearly as good as the club management in 0/Kiwami 2. You can see how the latter might have evolved from the former, though.

Graphics: it's weird that all this other stuff about Y3 is better, like framerate and resolution, but for some reason they didn't bother using higher resolution textures for, say, Kiryu, Majima and Rikiya's clothing. You stare at Kiryu's back for 95% of the game! It seems like such an obvious thing to do that I wonder if there's some arcane technical reason why it didn't happen.

Haruka: okay girl, how on earth does a sixth grader know about the illicit gambling den run by homeless people in Ryukyu? Have you been sneaking out of the orphanage at night? (also how on earth am I supposed to win 1000 tags in cee-lo, oh god)

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Do I get anything good for doing all the taxi + racing missions in Y5 for Kiryu? I can't help myself and always do side stories and side content before continuing the main story.

I did almost all side content in Y3 and Y4 but couldn't get myself to do all the hostess stuff, neither the training or getting to know all the girls. They just feel so utterly lame after Y0 and YK2 cabaret club stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
I had the day 1 edition pre-ordered, but when I found out it was just a cardboard sleeve fold case, I cancelled. I thought it was a steel book originally. The PS3 case is funny and a nice touch, but still doesn't make up for the rest. I'll get the standard edition later on instead, but I am looking forward to revisiting 3-5.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any missable trophies in yakuza 5?
Yes. The 100% completion trophy. The rest aren't missable, but if you sell off certain weapons (that you can only get one of) it means its impossible to mod every weapon, which means its impossible to hit the 100% completion target, which is a gold trophy. Its also the most time consuming of the series, so never sell/dispose of weapons!

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Yes. The 100% completion trophy. The rest aren't missable, but if you sell off certain weapons (that you can only get one of) it means its impossible to mod every weapon, which means its impossible to hit the 100% completion target, which is a gold trophy. Its also the most time consuming of the series, so never sell/dispose of weapons!

Thanks for the heads up! Thankfully I didn't sell anything, I just put everything in my item box.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Checked out the remastered Yakuza 5 yesterday and what's up with Kiryu's face? All the other characters have pretty nicely done faces, but Kiryu in some scenes looks like he is slowly turning into a corpse. I mean, I guess maybe he's supposed to be a little dishevelled/hermit-ish at the beginning of the story -- or is it just a really bad model/texturing? Does it change over the course of the story?

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
I went to buy it at a store 2 days after the release and the store clerk said it hasn't arrived yet.

fuck me.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Hostess maker is more about making your fetish than having the right stats.

Then, you go to the batting center.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I unlocked more training options in the hostess game, which translated to "I have found the optimal strategy", as I went from #10 to #2 in a single shift & I imagine the strategy will work for the other girls I recruit.

Sure, this technically makes it easier to cheese compared to the cabaret club game, but that was more involved & had more strategy as to what girls to send out, which made it more fun. This is just grindy. A cool idea in theory, just a bit undercooked compared to what would come later in the series. Not to mention the main hostesses had character.

At the very least, I'm sure going to the other hostess clubs will still be fun & interesting to learn the backstories of the women you hang out with.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
uOkugSS.jpg

Greasy goodness? Haruka no!

MBxX84U.gif

This is what happens when ya try an write off food thats bad for ya.

New PS4 background get!

O81zoU7.jpg

An look at this lil critter! Its just happy to be here! I'm keeping it!

Rikiya was harder than I remembered, but I'm also dumb an playing on normal despite forever swearing to only play these games on easy. I like how the first two chapter bosses tear their shirts off. Why save that for endgame when ya can do it whenever?!

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just caught a Swiss Watch during my first sea fishing minigame.

Uhh... apparently this is really rare and worth lots of cash? Sell it?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I unlocked more training options in the hostess game, which translated to "I have found the optimal strategy", as I went from #10 to #2 in a single shift & I imagine the strategy will work for the other girls I recruit.

Sure, this technically makes it easier to cheese compared to the cabaret club game, but that was more involved & had more strategy as to what girls to send out, which made it more fun. This is just grindy. A cool idea in theory, just a bit undercooked compared to what would come later in the series. Not to mention the main hostesses had character.

At the very least, I'm sure going to the other hostess clubs will still be fun & interesting to learn the backstories of the women you hang out with.
4 uses the same mini game but the difference being once you get them to rank 1 you can then date them like other hostesses in the series which was a nice touch.

And yeah, once you find the optimal training strategy and outfit selection etc. it becomes really easy to hit top ranks. Keep in mind in order to hit rank 1 though you need to have the hostess earn a certain amount of money in all three sessions AND be rank S on all stats - to hit the sales target you basically just need optimal outfits based on what customers are asking for per session.

I like the idea of ranking them up, and love some of the different little clips you get when the hostess either does good/bad but it does become a matter of wasting time after a certain point. It definitely helps to pave the way for the Cabaret stuff in later games for sure.

I just caught a Swiss Watch during my first sea fishing minigame.

Uhh... apparently this is really rare and worth lots of cash? Sell it?
Yeah. You can sometimes grab stuff like watches or Plat plates when fishing and there's no need for them other than gifts to hostesses, or selling them for cash (selling them are the better option). If your playing Yakuza 3 you can also catch Tuna's fairly easily and those sell for lots of cash. So you can sorta farm them for some early game money. Also, when you reach a certain side story that asks you to buy a Tuna, the NPC will give you lots of money to buy one, and if you catch a Tuna instead, you can still complete the story but pocket the cash!

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also found a glitch in 5... Kiryu started walking to a guy in a cutscenes and got stuck behind a car, still walking. Wouldn't progress for a bit till I home buttoned in and out.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I started my 2nd hostess training & after the first shift, she shot up to #9. After the 2nd run, I had two scenes of super service & hit #2.
4 uses the same mini game but the difference being once you get them to rank 1 you can then date them like other hostesses in the series which was a nice touch.

And yeah, once you find the optimal training strategy and outfit selection etc. it becomes really easy to hit top ranks. Keep in mind in order to hit rank 1 though you need to have the hostess earn a certain amount of money in all three sessions AND be rank S on all stats - to hit the sales target you basically just need optimal outfits based on what customers are asking for per session.

I like the idea of ranking them up, and love some of the different little clips you get when the hostess either does good/bad but it does become a matter of wasting time after a certain point. It definitely helps to pave the way for the Cabaret stuff in later games for sure.
Least 4 made it a bit more interesting/motivating to do it. I can see the foundation for future mini-games, but yeah, once you know what to do, all the fun is gone. At least it doesn't take as long when starting out, especially when you unlock more clothing options that make it even easier to max out all 4 different traits.

Probably will do this & the available hostesses for the time being until I've done all the optional stuff I can in terms of side stories & then I finish ch. 3.

Oct 27, 2017
What? That's a bummer. Damn I hope they patch that at some point. Specifically for multiple playthroughs.

Well they do let you turn on the option to skip, so if you don't want to watch cutscenes on a new play through that's always an option! But yeah not being able to pause and go to the bathroom is a big bummer.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
A bit off topic, but now that the series is fully available on one platform, I'm wanting to dive into it. Where's a good starting point? I own 0, Kiwami, and Kiwami 2.

I've read plenty of back and forth about whether to start with 0 or Kiwami.

Edit: If someone can point me to a thread where this was discussed before, I'd be happy to read it!

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
A bit off topic, but now that the series is fully available on one platform, I'm wanting to dive into it. Where's a good starting point? I own 0, Kiwami, and Kiwami 2.

I started with 0 and fell in love with the franchise. I just finnished Kiwami 2 and Zero is by far the best games of theese three you have. Kiwami games are not bad at all, but they feel a tad restricted in some areas compared to Zero wich is also twice as big when it comes to ingame stuff, combat and length. So my advise is start with Zero. The best one so far imo. Also, theres story elements in Zero that continues on in the Kiwami games.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's one of Shinada's that's just as brutal. Use a bike instead, for my favourite ever heat move, its so damn funny and a crime that its only used in one single game and never again ;(
Oh when Kiryu hops on the bike and starts riding it?

BTW in 5 how often do you switch characters? Should I worry about doing everything with Kiryu right now or progress first to get a taste of everyone.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Edit: If someone can point me to a thread where this was discussed before, I'd be happy to read it!

Straight numerical order in my opinion (0-6) is perfect.