• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FolderBrad

Oct 25, 2017
Im this has been discussed here, but what are the details on the new localization? We're they redone from scratch? Is it the ppl who did Yakuza 0 and on? How is it?

OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Im this has been discussed here, but what are the details on the new localization? We're they redone from scratch? Is it the ppl who did Yakuza 0 and on? How is it?
Localizations have been completely redone for each game. The effort was helmed by Jon Riesenbach, a junior localization producer for the series who has played a part in doing some of the other Yakuza games as well.

From what I've gathered, the team's efforts are largely appreciated, though I've seen some negative buzz here and there about out of place memes and strange dialects finding their way into the games (mainly Yakuza 5). Last I'd seen on Jon's Twitter, a patch is set to be deployed at a later date in order to remedy some of these issues.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Just keep in mind that you'll mostly want to mainline the story in Kiwami 1 as the side content is largely mediocre.

Since I'm playing through Kiwami 2 now I won't speak to the connections between it and Y0 so I'll take your word on that. As for Kiwami, the references to Y0 in that game are minimal, unimportant and kind of shoehorned into the game. Kiwami felt like a pretty straight remake of the original game just with some new side content (the most significant of which is the Pocket racers and the Majima Everywhere stuff) and the 3 fighting styles from Y0. I just think that if you want people to get through more than 1 entry in the series then Kiwami is the better start point than Y0.

I think Nishki and Kiryu's friendship in Y0 has more impact when you already know their fates (and Kiwami establishes that friendship pretty well on its own), Yumi basically doesn't exist in Y0 (I think there's an offhand comment about her but that's it) so if you go from Y0 to Kiwami Yumi will probably feel like this weird shoehorned in character, Kiwami sets a better tone for what to expect from Majima, for the 3 fighting styles in Kiwami that carried over from Y0 their unlock progression is much more straight forward and less time consuming than it is in Y0. Also, I think a big part of why so many people fall off of Kiwami after playing through Y0 is because Y0 is a big game (especially if you engage with a lot of the side content) so to go from that game to Kiwami which feels like more of Y0 which you just played and a lesser version of that game to boot I think results in people having a hard time getting through Kiwami. On its own Kiwami is a solid game with a good story and if you mainline it you can get through it quickly and then I think the narrative and side content in Y0 is that much stronger that people will have no problem then getting through Y0.

So basically, Kiwami sets the tone for the world, then Y0 goes back in time to expand on that and ratchet things up in terms of what to expect from the series and then based on your comments about Kiwami 2 it seems like Y0 would act as a great lead in to Kiwami 2 and also Kiwami 2 has that great recap of the events of Kiwami near the start of the games so you can refresh yourself in case you forgot anything. No matter the play order I have to suggest mainling Kiwami as I think people get bogged down by that game's largely mediocre side content and don't worry about progressing the Dragon of Dojima style as it's fine but the other 3 styles are all better and while the encounters with Majima generally are fun they're also kind of annoying at the same so maybe avoid him whenever possible.
I started writing out a huge response to this but I don't have the time to be honest as I'm at work. So without sounding dismissive and I apologize considering your detailed and thoughtful reply, disagree generally with a lot of what you said.

I do fully agree with Nishki and Yumi though which going from 0 to Kiwami was a bit of a story issue and I never felt Nishki got the story arc he deserved even with the new scenes they made for Kiwami from the original game. I don't however feel playing them the other way round would make that and less of a jarring narrative in any way though....

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
I think I am going to skip 3, 4 and 5 and play the rest.. is there some meaty recap video/movie with everything important and cool (I guess these memes and gifs arent for nothing)?

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
(and Kiwami establishes that friendship pretty well on its own),

I definetly disagree with this and I think the expanded look you get into Kiryu and Nishkis relationship is one the biggest reasons to play 0 before Kiwami. How little you get to see of the relationship between Kiryu and Nishiki was one of my biggest criticisms of the story in the orginal ps2 game and while the added scenes in Kiwami help explain why Nishiki changes it does not expand on or show you any more of his and Kiryus friendship. Playing 0 first really makes everything about Nishiki in Kiwami hit a lot harder than it would otherwise.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
Since I'm playing through Kiwami 2 now I won't speak to the connections between it and Y0 so I'll take your word on that. As for Kiwami, the references to Y0 in that game are minimal, unimportant and kind of shoehorned into the game. Kiwami felt like a pretty straight remake of the original game just with some new side content (the most significant of which is the Pocket racers and the Majima Everywhere stuff) and the 3 fighting styles from Y0. I just think that if you want people to get through more than 1 entry in the series then Kiwami is the better start point than Y0.

Yakuza Kiwami adds a ton of Nishiki flashback scenes that build on his character from Yakuza 0, and this content is not minimal. Those scenes are why people call Kiwami a sequel to 0, and why I and many others recommend starting with 0, instead.

I think Nishki and Kiryu's friendship in Y0 has more impact when you already know their fates (and Kiwami establishes that friendship pretty well on its own), Yumi basically doesn't exist in Y0 (I think there's an offhand comment about her but that's it) so if you go from Y0 to Kiwami Yumi will probably feel like this weird shoehorned in character, Kiwami sets a better tone for what to expect from Majima, for the 3 fighting styles in Kiwami that carried over from Y0 their unlock progression is much more straight forward and less time consuming than it is in Y0. Also, I think a big part of why so many people fall off of Kiwami after playing through Y0 is because Y0 is a big game (especially if you engage with a lot of the side content) so to go from that game to Kiwami which feels like more of Y0 which you just played and a lesser version of that game to boot I think results in people having a hard time getting through Kiwami. On its own Kiwami is a solid game with a good story and if you mainline it you can get through it quickly and then I think the narrative and side content in Y0 is that much stronger that people will have no problem then getting through Y0.

Conversely, Nishiki and Kiryu's conflict with each other may have a much greater impact on people who have already played Yakuza 0. Kiryu and Nishiki have hardly any scenes in Kiwami where they act like buddies, and I would not say that it "establishes" their friendship on its own (aside from the game telling the player that they used to be friends). Moreover, Yakuza 0's narrative is not centered on Kiryu and Nishiki's friendship, so 0 hardly needs a boost from prior knowledge of their friendship. On the other hand, Yakuza Kiwami ends up being very much about said friendship and benefits more from the players having a prior connection to Nishiki than 0 does.

If people fall off on Yakuza during Kiwami, having started with and finished 0, I do not think that beginning with the inferior game is a solution to get these people to play more Yakuza games. I think they're better off starting with Yakuza 0, the best the series has to offer, and seeing if they like that game. If they don't care for 0, then they will know not to bother with the rest of the series, since it will not be for them. Personally, I think people fall off on Kiwami because Kiwami isn't that great of a game or because they play it too soon after 0.

No matter the play order I have to suggest mainling Kiwami as I think people get bogged down by that game's largely mediocre side content and don't worry about progressing the Dragon of Dojima style as it's fine but the other 3 styles are all better and while the encounters with Majima generally are fun they're also kind of annoying at the same so maybe avoid him whenever possible.

The fully-upgraded Dragon of Dojima style is much better than the other three styles; Dragon of Dojima is only worse in its initial, nerfed state (which lasts far too long and requires a stupid number of Majima Everywhere encounters to upgrade, granted). Avoiding Majima and most of the side content will lead to a lot of missed experience points, which could make the final sections rather tough (I struggled against the second-last boss despite having Kiryu maxed out).

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
Stray observations after spending forty-so hours on Y5 : the rubberbanding in the taxi races is still absurd, Saejima's hunting sidestory is more annoying than I remember and Haruka's chapters are a chore. Still my favorite Yakuza tho. Can't wait to get back at Shinada. Also what's up with the encounter rate ?
May sound silly but goddamn I wish there was a Dead Souls remaster in there too. I've had this hitch of replaying through it but plugging my PS3 back for that the sub-720p res/30fps is sooo annoying.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
May sound silly but goddamn I wish there was a Dead Souls remaster in there too. I've had this hitch of replaying through it but plugging my PS3 back for that the sub-720p res/30fps is sooo annoying.
DS would so largely benefit from a simple remaster. Granted giving some improved camera and controls would also be nice but 60FPS without drops (or at least, without many drops) would be such a gigantic improvement. And yeah, keeping my PS3 plugged in for that, Kenzan and the HD collection of 1&2 is annoying, I wish I could have absolutely everything on my PS4 :( (and that's not counting the PSP games, but at least I have more faith for my PSP lasting several more years!)

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed playing Yakuza Kiwami over the last few days, and I think I might have gone a little overboard.

eM4oUMj.jpg

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Just finished Kiwami 2 and moved to Yakuza 3.

the fighting mechanics in these opening few hours has been painful.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Kiwami 2 and moved to Yakuza 3.

the fighting mechanics in these opening few hours has been painful.
It gets better, but yes, I won't lie to you, it's harsh. Make sure to get Komaki's skills, they can destroy bosses on their own.

I had the same transition, and it really showed me how bad Yakuza 3 has aged in that aspect lol. Yakuza 4 is a huge step forward, so I kinda recommend you that you push through Y3, the main story is pretty short.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It gets better, but yes, I won't lie to you, it's harsh. Make sure to get Komaki's skills, they can destroy bosses on their own.

I had the same transition, and it really showed me how bad Yakuza 3 has aged in that aspect lol. Yakuza 4 is a huge step forward, so I kinda recommend you that you push through Y3, the main story is pretty short.

I'm about to set it to easy to just blow through it.

This fight with that Tetsuo yakuza boss was so annoying, took like 20 minutes because he blocks everything and I don't have any moves to break through, and he breaks out immediately when I try to grab.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm about to set it to easy to just blow through it.

This fight with that Tetsuo yakuza boss was so annoying, took like 20 minutes because he blocks everything and I don't have any moves to break through, and he breaks out immediately when I try to grab.
Yes, Yakuza 3 is infamous because of the bosses and subbosses blocking everything.

The Komaki skills I was talking about are counter attack skills that break any guard and deal a LOT of damage, so you at least can compensate there haha

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, Yakuza 3 is infamous because of the bosses and subbosses blocking everything.

The Komaki skills I was talking about are counter attack skills that break any guard and deal a LOT of damage, so you at least can compensate there haha

I'll be starting Yakuza 3 soon. Are those skills obtainable early on?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

People have talked about using the skills against a fairly early boss so I believe the answer is yes. I would argue that you don't need the skills to get through (I played the original without ever using Tiger Drop or the Komaki Parry) but they do help quite a bit.

Call of Duty

Oct 27, 2017
I was in the M Store in Yakuza 5. They were playing the theme song to Phantasy Star Universe.

Is there a jukebox mode to listen to songs featured in the game?

Oct 27, 2017
Are all the chapters in Y4 so short? Akiyama's chapter 2 was like 60 mins at best. It's been a lot of cut scenes so far, hoping it opens a bit soon

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
I'm hooked on knocking people to the ground all over again. Ryukyu was too chill ta be doing that to people, but Kamurocho? Watch out, here comes bulldozer Kiryu! Hunched over old grandpas? Going down. Those preppy scarf wearing nerds? Eat pavement! Everyone else (sans women cause they're oddly unknockoverable)? Have a nice fall!!

2 hostesses left ta go. I'm still hanging above 1 million yen somehow but I expect to drop well below cause these last two are expensive as heck! Then I can finally move on with what lils left of Ch.5!

5v2DShw.jpg

BOOOOOOOOOOO

What I'm saying is that 3's re-localization has come off as iffy to me a buncha times. Like not as a whole but the cracks in it are noticeable.

Chapter 5 which may or may not be early depending on how much side stuff you're doing. Even so its still after some toughie mandatory fights and theres a small kinda "quest" ta go on in order to get 'em.

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
5v2DShw.jpg

BOOOOOOOOOOO

What I'm saying is that 3's re-localization has come off as iffy to me a buncha times. Like not as a whole but the cracks in it are noticeable.

Holy shit. Although I would lie if I say it didn't made me chuckle.

It only happens on new sidequests or the main story also has weird choices in the new translation?

Oct 27, 2017
Just got to Lily's challenge in Y4 and wtf at Akiyama having her dress up as part of the loan test? Good lord if that isn't an abusive power dynamic idk what is. I know it's not meant like that, but it makes Akiyama much less likeable for me

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
Yo what happened to shadowman16? Here was I looking for tips to beat Gunrhein lol
In the yakuza 3 abilities menu there is a skill called recovery stance. it says push the last button in certain actions but it doesn't seem to do anything?
Ok I popped the game just to check and if you keep the triangle button pressed after certain finishing blows Kiryu will stay "in stance" and his heat will increase. It's not so much "repeat" than "keep it pressed down".

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
Yo what happened to shadowman16? Here was I looking for tips to beat Gunrhein lol

Ok I popped the game just to check and if you keep the triangle button pressed after certain finishing blows Kiryu will stay "in stance" and his heat will increase. It's not so much "repeat" than "keep it pressed down".
Really? Thanks. I check it later but if thats the case it's pretty poor translation.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 3 down. Got 100% on the completion log and all the trophies barring the one for Legend difficulty which I will get at a later time. I got Haruka's trust up to SSS during the story which was as high as it would go in the campaign but Premium Adventure adds the EX rank and good god, does this child get demanding at this point. 3000+ points on Extra Hard batting, 270 point score at bowling. Are you crazy, woman? You can stay at SSS.

Overall, it's a great game. This games will always satisfy me from a completionist standpoint as I love all the little minigames. In terms of story, I feel my opinion differs from others in that I really liked the slow beginning. Okinawa was a nice relaxed setting and the orphanage stuff was great for Kiryu's characters. When we get to Kamurocho, the story kind of starts treading familiar ground. Still enjoyable but the villains ultimately don't stand out for me as much as those in 0 and 2. The "Aaaahhh Shiiieeeetttt" guy was ridiculous but I can't say he didn't make me laugh so there's that.

I should probably take a break before getting stuck in Y4 but I am eager to keep playing. Want to see what all the fuss about this Saejima character is beyond that guy I saw briefly in 0 with his mouth holster.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Finally finished yakuza 6 and wrapped up the Kiryu saga.

Unpopular opinion but I found yakuza 6 phenomenal and it is my favorite yakuza game along with 0.

It also has some of the best substories in the series and the fact that they're all voiced makes them way more enjoyable.

I won't go into details and spoiler territory because its 4:20 am and I'm in bed on my phone about to pass out but really that game was something else. I havent felt this way after finishing a yakuza game since yakuza 0.

It had some amazing new characters (I fucking loved Someya), the story was the best in the series imo (with 0, ofc.) and the ending was incredible, I was holding my breath during the whole final section / cutscenes of the game.

Can't wait for Yakuza 7.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Holy shit. Although I would lie if I say it didn't made me chuckle.

It only happens on new sidequests or the main story also has weird choices in the new translation?
I'd say it happens in both. Not a nonstop onslaught of oddities so you'll ready a line an be like wtf but then prolly forget it shortly thereafter.

I should probably take a break before getting stuck in Y4 but I am eager to keep playing. Want to see what all the fuss about this Saejima character is beyond that guy I saw briefly in 0 with his mouth holster.
His parts are what I'm dreading most about replaying 4 and playing 5 for the first time. I never liked his fighting style or character/story back in the day >.<;

Unpopular opinion but I found yakuza 6 phenomenal and it is my favorite yakuza game along with 0.
I didn't like 0, but I did like 6 a ton so theres an even more unpopular opinion! Can't wait to replay it after I'm done with this collection an this time around try to do all the substories an side stuff. I never did get deep into that tavern thing or the clan stuff on my first run, an at least for the tavern one I've read much praise for it!

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Is 3 worth replaying with the new localization/restored content?

If I ever carve out time, I was just going to jump to 5, but I really do love 3 (it's probably my favourite because it's my first, but I just love the orphanage storyline lol).

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
I still like Y3, may be my favorite Yakuza right after Y0, but the newer games are much more fun to play on hard. Right now I'm annoyed everyrime I have to fight. Not because it's difficult to win, the fighting just doesn't feel very good.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Kiryu you idiot (start of Ch.6):
yes walk out into a crowd of cops with your bloody ass jacket still on >_> that awful (pro-tip: all chase missions are awful) chase could've been entirely avoided!!

9hfUm8g.jpg

Daily reminder that Kiwami 2 is non-canon. NON-CANON. An that I'll never buy it and will forever replay good old vanilla Y2 whenever I'm rollin' through the series all over again!

Is 3 worth replaying with the new localization/restored content?
If you're into hostess stuff then thats all new since those were part of the gutted content. The 22 restored substories spread throughout the game have added to the fun in my book. Most of them were found in Ryukyu so having 'em back in makes those portions of the game no longer feel empty.

May 15, 2019
Yakuza 3 is a definite improvement, og 3 was dry as hell in addition to just not having everything translated. 4 and 5 seems like a sideways step since the PS3 translations for those were already good and I've seen plenty of examples where I preferred the OG translation.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
If you're into hostess stuff then thats all new since those were part of the gutted content. The 22 restored substories spread throughout the game have added to the fun in my book. Most of them were found in Ryukyu so having 'em back in makes those portions of the game no longer feel empty.
Hrm, the sub stories do seem interesting. That actually makes sense... just not sure if I want to go through the game again with my limited time. lol

I wish I'd started this on an earlier game. Cos I started 3 and I have no idea what's going on.
3 was strangely a good starting point for me at least, particularly because Kiryu had quit and the whole beginning is about running the orphanage.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Hrm, the sub stories do seem interesting. That actually makes sense... just not sure if I want to go through the game again with my limited time. lol

I was surprised at how quickly I was able to get through 3 the second time around, even with trying to do a lot more of the side content this time. It only took me about 35 hours, which seems on the low-to-mid scale for the franchise, and that includes almost 100 substories.

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I was surprised at how quickly I was able to get through 3 the second time around, even with trying to do a lot more of the side content this time. It only took me about 35 hours, which seems on the low-to-mid scale for the franchise, and that includes almost 100 substitutes.
Yeah, I remember without the stuff that got cut 3 being relatively short. But also I haven't played 5 or 6 yet so kind of eager to just jump into those... But 3 is a personal favourite and being in Okinawa again would be nice. lol

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing I'll say about 3 is that it has a ton of substories. Maybe 0 had about as much but it really felt like there was more here. Decent quality too. There was some filler people trying to con you missions that made up the bulk of Y1's substories but they were generally all pretty good. Murder at Cafe Alps might be my favourite substory in the series so far.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i went insane last night and bought remastered + 6 + judgement, so cracking into 3 now.

I've only just got to freeroam in Okinawa and I'm already hooked. What the fuck is going on. We're still in prologue flashback territory but I'm hooked.