• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The YuYu Hakusho anime and manga are basically a 1:1 but starts to split a bit post Sensui. The Anime gives a more indepth look at the tournament while the manga skips a lot and gives you a summary of what happened at the tournament. The thing I don't like about the anime is post the tournament ending. Demons who not only are displayed to be actually evil (killing/torturing for the fun of it), but even a common C class can wreak havoc decide to not kill humans because the new demon king says so. These beings who have acted seemingly on their own now listen to authority.

In the manga there is a different twist, after the defeat of Sensui Koenma decides to investigate spirit world and figures out something else. A year and a half after the tournament Kurama does some exposition.
pqSsgyY.png

nXerfIe.png

d9x7aNT.png

09i5bWs.png

XwJQk3O.png
hCfkNzS.png

This twist changes the entire context of the story and brings it much closer to reality. Exploited people who are painted as evil and crimes against them are seen as necessary to stop their evil. This changes Yusuke from a savior to a soldier who fights on the beliefs based on what his superiors tell him. The best part is that it makes Yusukes journey really worthless as he mainly fought brainwashed demons and humans, Toguro being the only exception. In a world with beings just trying to exist the ones with power will use that power to exploit one group and use another group to pit them against each other, the moral reasons are generally made up, especially the ones pushed by the ones in power. My favorite frames are these ones that show that the victories of the past aren't even moral ones and should just be in the past
rjJ952y.png

vXYgmGk.png

I also enjoy the different epilogue (which I think is covered in the new OVA) but this twist is what makes the manga superior to the anime for me. (Both are excellent mediums for this series)

cJAYblazE

Dec 7, 2017
YuYu Hakusho is SO fucking good.
And i agree with you, i like both endings but the manga ending is more cohesive for me.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I had no idea the anime ending was different, thank you for this, I really love the dialogue of this ending

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I just wish it had stopped after the Dark Tournament. It was sharply downhill from there really.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Still need to check out the manga. Hope Viz does something for the 30th anniversary next year.
I just wish it had stopped after the Dark Tournament. It was sharply downhill from there really.
I enjoyed most of Chapter Black, except some of the Sensui/cave stuff at the end.

I was loving Three Kings at first, but then... yeah lol. Togashi was just done at that point.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
The twist in the manga would have been good if it was explored at all beyond that expo-dump. As is, I didn't feel there was any real weight given to it.

Also, that last manga arc makes for a weaker ending than the last anime episode, IMO, aside from us finally seeing Kuwabara help in a mission again.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The twist in the manga would have been good if it was explored at all beyond that expo-dump. As is, I didn't feel there was any real weight given to it.

Also, that last manga arc makes for a weaker ending than the last anime episode, IMO, aside from us finally seeing Kuwabara help in a mission again.
Well it likely was set up but Togashi was ready to check out. Though I can see where you're coming from.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I would have liked the manga ending more if it was a bit fleshed out more but that panel of Yusuke and Kurama was amazing.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I love the series, but everything after Sensui went super saiyan for no reason and Yusuke was revealed to have demon heritage was kinda weak

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I agree. And don't get me wrong, It's anime is good (& I own all four seasons of it on Blu-Ray), though I wish that it was completely based on the manga like with Sailor Moon Crystal.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty much. Thus massive twist that puts everything in the series in a new light is just stated in text and everyone seems to get over it super quickly. Come out of nowhere and goes just as quickly.