• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
SO this is the guy who made a video shortly after the reveal of how skeptical he is, stating that he was never a huge fan of it, but felt it was going in the wrong direction.

So he still sticks to what he talked about in his original video but now having played the game, goes on to expand on him.

He says a better game that does what this game does is God hand.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Should put it into context that GamingBrit is a huge fan of well thought out combat systems and so that's what he's going to drill into more than anything for an action game.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Saw around 10 minutes of the video, dude is focusing WAY too much in things that last like 15 minutes total in a 40h+ game, like carrying the blue crystal or the boy/boar. Edit: he also complains a lot about mashing buttons which means he didn't even bothered looking at the menus.

It seems pretty clear that the game is not for him but he insists in complaining about every single thing. It's not like what he's saying is wrong, but personally I can't see the things he mentions as a problem, it's really just a matter of personal taste. Why bother wasting so much time in a game that he clearly doesn't like? Just move on lol

OP
OP
foxuzamaki

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Saw around 10 minutes of the video, dude is focusing WAY too much in things that last like 15 minutes total in a 40h+ game, like carrying the blue crystal or the boy/boar.

It seems pretty clear that the game is not for him but he insists in complaining about every single thing. It's not like what he's saying is wrong, but I also can't see it as a problem, it's really just a matter os personal taste. Why bother wasting so much time in a game that he clearly doesn't like? Just move on lol
Because everyone wanted him to play it, he is also the character action game personality on youtube

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I have already seen that video. I disagree with him entirely. People like him are the reason writing in games is still mostly bad.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
I love Godhand and all but combat is least of its 'pros'. Most of the time, the players of Godhand is fighting the camera as much as the enemies.

But hey...to each his own. Many of us asians love southeast asia Chicken Rendang the way it is...but occasionally you will have some brit 'chef' complaining that chicken rendang is not 'crispy' enough... :P

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
People already are discussing this in review thread and looking at how the last thread of one review turned out this won't be any different. Better to discuss in review thread with the others.

lordlad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
Because everyone wanted him to play it, he is also the character action game personality on youtube
i consider Maximillan Dood the character action dude on Youtube and GoW is his current GOTY so who opinion should i listen?!?! Oh the humanity!!!

As do every critical acclaim game that came before, here comes the contrarians. Not saying they can't 'not love' the game. In fact, they can and have every right to. All they need to know is they are not changing the opinion of the majority, that's all.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Well, I find myself mostly agreeing with him. But seeing where he is coming from, it really doesn't surprise me that he dislikes the title for the most part.

lordlad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
mod, can this be locked? It seems weird that all the 'good score' reviews were consolidated into the review thread while the contrarians are given dedicate threads......which begs the question......why?

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I love Godhand and all but combat is least of its 'pros'. Most of the time, the players of Godhand is fighting the camera as much as the enemies.

But hey...to each his own. Many of us asians love southeast asia Chicken Rendang the way it is...but occasionally you will have some brit 'chef' complaining that chicken rendang is not 'crispy' enough... :P

Woh there. John Torode is Australian.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Saw around 10 minutes of the video, dude is focusing WAY too much in things that last like 15 minutes total in a 40h+ game, like carrying the blue crystal or the boy/boar.

It seems pretty clear that the game is not for him but he insists in complaining about every single thing. It's not like what he's saying is wrong, but I also can't see it as a problem, it's really just a matter os personal taste. Why bother wasting so much time in a game that he clearly doesn't like? Just move on lol
He explained that outright in the beginning. People were basically hounding him over his old video saying "Haha, see, what do you think now that the critics are all raving about this game?!", which makes him feel he has to reply or else it's gonna hang over him. Like, he says this all as the introduction to the whole video.

You can argue that GoW is a really well done cinematic game and many aspects of his critique can be waved away as genre conventions, but I feel he hits the nail on the head in terms of problems with the combat system, which I don't think is something that can fall under that blanket of protection. I think that you want the combat system to be as deep as you can make it, and they prioritized making it into a stat based thing, while hindering your movement, and then designing encounters that exploit that lack of movement, which are then compensated with less engaging mechanics like the triangle warning system.

Personally, I don't mind these sorts of combat systems myself, and while I don't think it's particularly great, I don't mind the lack of depth like he does...but I think he is providing a lot of good insight to the weaknesses of the game. Insight hte devs might take and improve upon in the next game. I think it's good to have a diversity of voices critiquing the game. So why is he even reviewing a game he doesn't like? Because clearly people wanted to hear his opinion on it, and even though I forgot about him until this review came out, I think it's better that he did review it than that he didn't.

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He makes some good points. The combat is good, but not amazing. So I think he's right about a lot of things relating to that.

But you also have to realize that the tone and style of this game dosent jive with him and that's fine.

It's a good review from a different perspective and one I agree with plenty about. I think GoW is a pretty solid game, but I've got my own issues with it.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is a pretty good review overall from someone with a degree of bias against where the title is coming from.

Indeed, I missed elements like Jumping, combo counters, resource management and so on and disliked stat management in context of an action game as well. The puzzle elements weren't the most amazing either, but they worked fine.

OP
OP
foxuzamaki

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i consider Maximillan Dood the character action dude on Youtube and GoW is his current GOTY so who opinion should i listen?!?! Oh the humanity!!!

As do every critical acclaim game that came before, here comes the contrarians. Not saying they can't 'not love' the game. In fact, they can and have every right to. All they need to know is they are not changing the opinion of the majority, that's all.
Uhhh isn't max the fighting game dude on YouTube?

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
Is his style supposed to be so "nose up at games with narratives"??

Like, I love God Hand, but comparing any third person action game to fucking God Hand is pointless. Of course God Hand has more depth. The combat in that game is basically all it has going for it. The criticism about the gear is also not taking into account that it doesn't just add stats? There are attributes to gear that change how moves operate? (Execute X move and Y has low/med/high chance of occurring) It's not terribly complicated but he still oversimplified.

Also his gripes with the narrative are things I'm not really feeling. Changing voice actors doesn't change a character. Kratos is different in this game and changed off screen. That's almost the whole point of the game? He's running from his past, and it manifests in ways that, if not confronted, could ruin his new life.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped watching when he said rolling out of the way is slower than dashes in God Hand.

Because you can't do split second dashes in GoW right?

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
i feel like GoW biggest detractors are DMC fans with a chip on their shoulder about this game not being like their favorite series.

maybe if Cory adds a meter with a bunch of corny words like "smoking" in the next GoW people will stop acting like this game is all narrative no gameplay

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the "no depth" argument. Did we play the same game?

Game is much deeper compared to the older GoW games. More combos, more magic (runes), more strategic and intense gameplay.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
No game is perfect, but GoW is pretty close to it. A pity for this reviewer not to be able to recognize greatness.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A bunch of good reviews got its own threads. Anyway, you all will complain until this gets locked and they re-open the review thread like happened last time.
And are threads supposed to be made to even out some good vs bad force on the forum?
I believe joe and dunkey get their threads because they do fairly non conventional reviews and have a massive subscriber count on youtube.They would have and always do get their own threads regardless of the score they award games.
So whats notable about his review other than the fact that he has a negative opinion on it?

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
mod, can this be locked? It seems weird that all the 'good score' reviews were consolidated into the review thread while the contrarians are given dedicate threads......which begs the question......why?
Didn't AngryJoe and Edge get a thread?
And the review thread was open at the time, i really don't get all the whining, don't like the guy, skip the thread

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, Max is pretty gifted when it comes to combat games. It amazes me how he can pick up characters and combo well with them in fighting games especially new characters. Seeing him mess around in GOW and do well in it on the hardest difficulty, and seeing him praise the combat was all I needed to see. I never played God Hand, I'll respect this guys opinion, I might not trust it, but I'll go look up some God Hand videos to see if that type of game look interesting to me. It's a PS2 game or something though, eh worth a youtube look anyway.

------------
Some of the reasons those big reviewers get a thread each time they make a video is because their videos are long 30+ minute entertainment, or informative videos that's a bit more than a normal review.

Skill Up's Nier, and Monster Hunter review videos for example. It's pretty much a documentary with a side of review in a way. Educational on the history of the games, and a piece on how he feels about the current game.

Last edited:

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
The criticism about the gear is also not taking into account that it doesn't just add stats? There are attributes to gear that change how moves operate? (Execute X move and Y has low/med/high chance of occurring) It's not terribly complicated but he still oversimplified.
Much of the things added are themselves more stats, but even concerning the actual mechanical changes they grant, I don't know if this is a good mechanic. If he's focused on wanting to create skillful plays, then a roll of the dice buff isn't something I'd expect him to praise.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No game is perfect, but GoW is pretty close to it. A pity for this reviewer for not to be able to recognize greatness.
as a God of War fan it feels good to know that I won't get shit on for this post of yours, like back when people expressed similar feelings toward another game in another franchise I'd consider myself to be a fan of, and we were all instantly and collectively branded as the worst fanbase in creation

Past that, I feel a lot like you do. God of War is one of the best games I've ever played and I love the combat. Damn shame that it didn't click with this guy, but it is what it is. I feel a lot of his complaints but not one dragged down the game for me like it did for him.

Last edited:

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

God Hand is absolutely known for its combat system. What would even be its pro otherwise?

You will struggle with the camera if you treat it like a regular game. It works differently, just like GoW does.

Max is great for fighting games, not so much for action games. It's like looking for his opinion on RPGs...

About bolded, that's the same for every review, who is they saying that this would change the opinion of the masses?
There's a report button if you feel so bad about this thread (considering all your posts...), and plenty of YouTube videos get their own thread, unlike review threads usually being more about scores and quick reviews.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Max is pretty gifted when it comes to combat games. It amazes me how he can pick up characters and combo well with them in fighting games especially new characters. Seeing him mess around in GOW and do well in it on the hardest difficulty, and seeing him praise the combat was all I needed to see. I never played God Hand, I'll respect this guys opinion, I might not trust it, but I'll go look up some God Hand videos to see if that type of game look interesting to me. It's a PS2 game or something though, eh worth a youtube look anyway.
Trust me, God Hand is one of the finest action games you could ever play. It is a shame it is so damn forgotten as it is amazing.

Please remaster it capcpom. I would take it as a PS2 classic on PS4 as well.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I can't take this seriously when he praises Godhand's combat over this. Sure it was a fun dumb game back then but it had huge issues with camera and it was repetitive as fuck.

Thebeast!

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I would not trust the gaming brits opinion on gow. Hes a part of a subclass of reviewers who thinks western developers cant make good games and also he seems to hate modern games that even includes yakuza 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.