• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
And could have sworn I had this active, but seems I didn't have auto-renewal for my annual pass so it's expired now. Well either way think I'll opt to buy my annual pass in full next time if only because one can apparently get a discount when passes are close to expiring (which isn't available for flex pay) and because I can just pay in payments via PayPal. Might give it a wait until my younger sister is much more freely available.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
My birthday's at the end of the month so my wife and I are taking a long weekend trip to Dollywood and Kings Island.

I've never been to Dollywood and that last time I was at King's Island it was still a Paramount Park. Super excited.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
My birthday's at the end of the month so my wife and I are taking a long weekend trip to Dollywood and Kings Island.

I've never been to Dollywood and that last time I was at King's Island it was still a Paramount Park. Super excited.

The good news is that lightning rod might actually be open at Dollywood now that it's on a chain lol. You'll also get to see Cedar Fair's decent investment in Kings Island, with both a hyper and giga B&M at KI.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
D23 tickets were such a shitshow this year, but I managed to snag Sunday tickets so there's that

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Alright we got info for the Studio Tour 60th anniversary celebration.

blog.discoveruniversal.com

Guide to the Studio Tour 60th Anniversary Celebration at Universal Studios Hollywood

It all began with the Studio Tour – so let's celebrate it!

It will run form April 26 to August 11.

The Earthquake section will reopen on time with a new modern day aesthetic.

One of the discontinued attractions that will be brought back is the Runaway Train.

And we will in fact get to step out of the vehicles to check out the sets more closely.

And I'm gonna guess Norman Bates is the certain someone the blog is hinting.

And of course there is the usual food and merch themed to the tour, but some will be themed to Woody Woodpecker and Chilly Willy. Never imagined they would be part of this major celebration.

And there is in fact pass holder preview days for the tour as well for April 18, 22, 23, 24.

Last edited:

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
Re: Universal annual pass - does it last from the day you purchase to the same day the next year, or is it only valid in 2024 if I were to buy one this year?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Alright we got info for the Studio Tour 60th anniversary celebration.

blog.discoveruniversal.com

Guide to the Studio Tour 60th Anniversary Celebration at Universal Studios Hollywood

It all began with the Studio Tour – so let's celebrate it!

It will run form April 26 to August 11.

The Earthquake section will reopen on time with a new modern day aesthetic.

One of the discontinued attractions that will be brought back is the Runaway Train.

And we will in fact get to step out of the vehicles to check out the sets more closely.

And I'm gonna guess Norman Bates is the certain someone the blog is hinting.

And of course there is the usual food and merch themed to the tour, but some will be themed to Woody Woodpecker and Chilly Willy. Never imagined they would be part of this major celebration.

And there is in fact pass holder preview days for the tour as well for April 18, 22, 23, 24.
What is the state of the tour now? I'll be at Universal for the first time in a week or so, and haven't really researched what is going on.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
What is the state of the tour now? I'll be at Universal for the first time in a week or so, and haven't really researched what is going on.
There is some construction work going on there to prepare for the event, so you might skip certain section. Was at Universal last weekend and we skipped the picture cars, the flood section and the War of the Worlds section.

thedracocat

Jun 13, 2022
My wife works on the spine team at an orthopaedic clinic in Orlando and they see a lot of Disney/Cirque/Universal patients. She was telling me, with Disney, they have to be really specific about on-the-job restrictions with their patients or else Disney will try to put them to work. One of the specific restrictions they have to write is "No Character Heads," which is something not many other spine surgeons in the world ever have to write hahahaha

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Theme Park fans, I have a gamer question

I know there are a ton of games that let you make your own park and roller coaster, but are there any games that let you design your own Dark Ride? Ive never been a big roller coaster fan but I love Disneyland dark rides, I think i'd be so cool to design them.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
And seems concept art of the proposed avatar land for Disneyland has surfaced.

www.ign.com

Disney Reveals First Look Avatar Land Concept Art for Disneyland - IGN

Disney revealed a first look at Avatar Land concept art for Disneyland during its shareholder meeting.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
And seems concept art of the proposed avatar land for Disneyland has surfaced.

www.ign.com

Disney Reveals First Look Avatar Land Concept Art for Disneyland - IGN

Disney revealed a first look at Avatar Land concept art for Disneyland during its shareholder meeting.
That'd be pretty cool, even knowing it won't look quite like that in real life, haha.

I just hope they put in a decent number of new rides. Only getting 2 rides in Galaxy's Edge will always be a bummer (and I'm not even a big fan of the Millennium Falcon ride).

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
Theme Park fans, I have a gamer question

I know there are a ton of games that let you make your own park and roller coaster, but are there any games that let you design your own Dark Ride? Ive never been a big roller coaster fan but I love Disneyland dark rides, I think i'd be so cool to design them.
Technically you can do this on Planet Coaster if you're really good at the game. There are some crazy elaborate Alien and Moonraker rides on Youtube.

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
My wife works on the spine team at an orthopaedic clinic in Orlando and they see a lot of Disney/Cirque/Universal patients. She was telling me, with Disney, they have to be really specific about on-the-job restrictions with their patients or else Disney will try to put them to work. One of the specific restrictions they have to write is "No Character Heads," which is something not many other spine surgeons in the world ever have to write hahahaha
That's incredible. Hahaha.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Whisper it, but it's looking like Disney might be getting construction rolling again at WDW in the not-too-distant future...

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Whisper it, but it's looking like Disney might be getting construction rolling again at WDW in the not-too-distant future...
On the upside, shouldn't be too many construction walls all over with where it is located.

Downside, I wonder how long the railroad is going to be out of service again.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What for? I'll be there in three weeks.
First up, they're re-doing Dinoland out in Animal Kingdom - they're re-theming it to Tropical America, with Indiana Jones, Encanto and Coco attractions. That looks pretty close to getting going - they're all permitted up, and Imagineering did a big presentation about what they're doing out there this week, so I'd guess a D23 announcement and construction starting not long after.

Secondly, they're planning big stuff for Magic Kingdom, too - they're getting permits ready to prepare the land out past Big Thunder Mountain for... something. Possibly a Villains Land, possibly something else. Potentially with a view to linking everything back up around Haunted Mansion.

In the short term, Tiana's Bayou Adventure is opening up in a few months, and they've just announced a June date for Test Track closing for its retheme too.

There are whispers of them building something on the Adventureland expansion area and in Animation Courtyard in Hollywood Studios too, but those are further off.

None of the construction projects are quite started, and probably won't be for a few months yet, but they're building up again - I don't think there's any coincidence that these things started rolling after they squashed their feud with the state.

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to hear more blue sky opining from Disney.

Give me concrete shovels in the dirt start dates and anticipated completion dates at D23.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Have they announced anything about it other than it's getting a modern retheme? I think I heard rumblings its going to be more like the original world of motion, but I have no idea if that had any truth to it.
I would expect the ride to be the same other than what you are looking at. The exterior track is still there in the concept art.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I'm jealous of how hard Disneyland goes on the meet and greets compared to Florida
Sabine-Wren-Star-Wars-Galaxys-Edge-Disneyland-Resort-Season-of-the-Force-11-879x1024.jpg

It's funny as a teen I thought this ahit was embarrassing (besides a very select few.) but as I get older it's an element I grew to appreciate and regret when we had our 1 big family trip there I refused to be in photos with characters

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Re: Universal annual pass - does it last from the day you purchase to the same day the next year, or is it only valid in 2024 if I were to buy one this year?
One year from date of purchase, unless they still have the promo where you get an additional 3 months.
One quick adjustment: It's from the 1st date you actually use it. At least that is how it is for USO. So I'd imagine it's the same for USH. So the first time you actually scan into the parks starts as your "1 year" mark (or 15 months with promo).

So if you buy an 1 year AP today (ignoring the promo to make this easier), but don't actually use it till May 1st, it will last till May 1st 2025.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
One quick adjustment: It's from the 1st date you actually use it. At least that is how it is for USO. So I'd imagine it's the same for USH. So the first time you actually scan into the parks starts as your "1 year" mark (or 15 months with promo).

So if you buy an 1 year AP today (ignoring the promo to make this easier), but don't actually use it till May 1st, it will last till May 1st 2025.
Wow, that's really great of them then. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the USH pass since it was $50 off but I won't be able to use it until next month. Good to know, thanks!

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
First time at USH today. Did early access for Mario and it was really worth it. Had done all the activities and rode Mario Kart twice by the time the early period ended.

Mario Kart is kinda overwhelming with everything going on physically around you plus also all the stuff you have to keep track of in your visors vision. The first time on we skipped past all the instructions so I had no idea what to do really. Ended up thinking the horn in the middle shot shells and not the buttons on the wheel. Second time saw all the intro videos, but the steering wheel wasn't working so I got no coins for turning nor any badges/trophies for the app. Maybe when I go back tomorrow everything will be working.

But the queue and whole land is just amazing. There is nothing there that is just a prop, every that is supposed to be moving is and it gives the land tons of life. There is some wear and tear though, some blocks don't work, or have their bottoms punched out. One of the periscopes is out. Just a little rough around the edges.

All the activities for getting keys and the final showdown game were really fun. As was looking for secrets and earning badges. Some badges seem like they are only possible for locals, or seemingly impossible if bricks happen to be out of order. Overall though really fun.

Got reservation for Toadstool Cafe pretty easily, though the link on the signs told me there was no availability all day, after googling I found a reddit post with a link that actually works, and could essentially choose any time. Fireball spaghetti was really good. Mario burger typical theme park burger. Fizzy boba drink really good.

Besides Super Nintendo Land, things that stand out are the really cool Pets darkride, the other Mario Cafe in the upper lot with more cool drinks and stuff to eat. Lots of stuff similar/same as USO. Liked having a tram tour since not going on MGMs in years. Some parts obviously skipped. Lots of parts dedicated to shows or movies I have no interest in, adverts for peacock, etc.

Staying at Hilton across the street is super convenient. Crowds really low, longest wait was 30 mins. Weather sucks. Going for one more day then down to San Diego for the week, then back to Disneyland next weekend.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
I think Super Nintendo World as a whole is really fantastic, but it's definitely sensory overload too. After a few hours of being there (doing the band activities, mario kart, just kinda wandering around), The way all the sounds just kind of bounce around in the land had really gotten to me. I was fairly sleep deprived from HHN the night before, but I feel like even fully rested and with zero hangover, it's still a lot. I do love the energy of the land though.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Some more closing thoughts after our second day at USO:
- Jurassic Park is so much better than IoA's. The whole aquarium section, so many more dinosaurs, how well animated they were, how much better shape every thing was in. It was a bunch of fun for a type of ride I don't really go for usually.
- Waterworld show is great too. I liked that all the actors really leaned into their personalities, and the big finale plane. Also that there wasn't this conceit that it was a production being filmed like Indiana Jones.
- Rained almost all day, managed that by riding Mario Kart several times in a row, until our Toadstool Cafe time. Finally got a few good runs on the ride with everything functional. My score I think was ~130 at the most, but today Team Mario won most times and I found all the hidden ? blocks (though they should really reward you with more coins for hitting them).
- Had same HP beers as USO. Dragon Scale still best. Hot butter beer with rum is delicious. Don't drink at the bar for over an hour then try to go on the studio tour.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
Islands of Adventure has the Jurassic Park visitor center and the coaster at least. They really need to do a big refurb on River Adventure though, while still keeping it JP themed.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
Canada's Wonderland appears to be getting a huuuuuuuge launch coaster for 2025 based on things seen by https://www.youtube.com/@AmusementInsiders

He thinks it's an Intamin and it looks like it launches through Wonder Mountain

Kinda excited to see the construction since it looks like they are going to be doing a lot of work during the Spring/Summer

Yeah I've been keeping up with Brendon's predictions for a while (Premier rides, what?). I know Wonderland's major show is all B&Ms but they're reliable and high capacity. I get they need a good thrill coaster, and the rumours of Cedar Fair execs riding Velocicoaster and saying "let's buy a couple of these" (with Wonder Mountain providing a good opportunity for some similar rock-work/head-choppers) but I can't wait for 15 minutes of downtime every other hour. lol

There's also the red herring of CF not working with Intamin since 2014, even getting Zamperla to refurb Top Thrill instead to what looks like an excellent result.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've been keeping up with Brendon's predictions for a while (Premier rides, what?). I know Wonderland's major show is all B&Ms but they're reliable and high capacity. I get they need a good thrill coaster, and the rumours of Cedar Fair execs riding Velocicoaster and saying "let's buy a couple of these" (with Wonder Mountain providing a good opportunity for some similar rock-work/head-choppers) but I can't wait for 15 minutes of downtime every other hour. lol

There's also the red herring of CF not working with Intamin since 2014, even getting Zamperla to refurb Top Thrill instead to what looks like an excellent result.

Yea, should be clearer if any track pieces show up

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Well from some videos I'm seeing for the Studio Tour, seems something will finally be done about the old Fast and the Furious: Extreme Close Up section (not to be confused with Supercharged) that will open next year. It looks like it will be Jurassic World themed.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
I wouldn't be mad if they got rid of Supercharged while they're at it, especially with that coaster coming in.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
I wouldn't be mad if they got rid of Supercharged while they're at it, especially with that coaster coming in.
Could expect that to close the moment the new coaster opens. Though I imagine this new section of the tour that is barely being constructed will likely take priority first. Gotta have something in the event one major section of the tour closes.

Also it looks like the city of Anaheim, CA has approved the Disneyland expansion.

View: https://youtu.be/Aauq38Lxjso?si=uZTIu5JBd-twt7rU

Though towards the end of the video, it's made clear this is an initial approval. There is still a procedural vote to take place.