• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'm a little shocked at how well executed Flight of Passage is. I don't think it's the second coming or the best Disney ride ever (Splash Mountain <3) but Christ, my only complaint is I wish they went with the more restrictive 3D glasses seen on rides like Spider-Man. I occasionally glanced up or down and there's nothing from the glasses to restrict that, so I kinda ended up seeing half through the glasses and half not. Still, this is a nearly perfect ride from an execution standpoint. There's so many effects so that have to fire off perfectly - the motion, the wind (at different speeds no less), the smells, and some of best water effects ever imo, and it all goes off without a hitch. Aside from that, the position in which you ride in makes the experience feel super unique and while I have no emotional connection to Avatar, that art direction is wicked beautiful and inspired. This is a ride that really uses every trick in the book to great effect.

Good job, Disney.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
I'm a little shocked at how well executed Flight of Passage is. I don't think it's the second coming or the best Disney ride ever (Splash Mountain <3) but Christ, my only complaint is I wish they went with the more restrictive 3D glasses seen on rides like Spider-Man. I occasionally glanced up or down and there's nothing from the glasses to restrict that, so I kinda ended up seeing half through the glasses and half not. Still, this is a nearly perfect ride from an execution standpoint. There's so many effects so that have to fire off perfectly - the motion, the wind (at different speeds no less), the smells, and some of best water effects ever imo, and it all goes off without a hitch. Aside from that, the position in which you ride in makes the experience feel super unique and while I have no emotional connection to Avatar, that art direction is wicked beautiful and inspired. This is a ride that really uses every trick in the book to great effect.

Good job, Disney.

Overall I liked FoP but don't think it's the best "pure simulator" in Orlando nor the best ride in the park. The queue was really well done and impressive, it really is the next step up from FJ, Gringotts, RSR, or Kong in terms of storytelling and design. But the ride just lacked any emotion to me, it could have been random shapes on a 2D plane with effects for all I care. For me the boat ride actually accomplishes its goals better than FoP, personally.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Overall I liked FoP but don't think it's the best "pure simulator" in Orlando nor the best ride in the park. The queue was really well done and impressive, it really is the next step up from FJ, Gringotts, RSR, or Kong in terms of storytelling and design. But the ride just lacked any emotion to me, it could have been random shapes on a 2D plane with effects for all I care. For me the boat ride actually accomplishes its goals better than FoP, personally.

Haven't tried the River Journey and prolly won't for a while, but that's an interesting take.

I think I admire FoP more for its technical excellence and overall "solid as a brick, everything firing off as intended" execution more than just enjoying the ride straight up for its content, if that makes sense. Definitely see where you're coming from on it.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Haven't tried the River Journey and prolly won't for a while, but that's an interesting take.

I think I admire FoP more for its technical excellence and overall "solid as a brick, everything firing off as intended" execution more than just enjoying the ride straight up for its content, if that makes sense. Definitely see where you're coming from on it.

My friend compared the content of FoP to "a whale sounds album as a ride", and I think it's apt. The boat ride works for me more because there's an emotional arc using scenes and music till the climax of the AA (and the celebration) before returning to load.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
So totally hypothetically, if I happened to know someone who just rode Primeval Whirl for the first time and enjoyed it, would that make them a bad person

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys follow bioreconstruct on Twitter? He is always posting tons of in progress pictures of stuff in Orlando. Good twitter follow.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
So totally hypothetically, if I happened to know someone who just rode Primeval Whirl for the first time and enjoyed it, would that make them a bad person

I mean as a ride it's fine, if not fun. It's just everything around it that's bad.

Do you guys follow bioreconstruct on Twitter? He is always posting tons of in progress pictures of stuff in Orlando. Good twitter follow.

Bio's great, love his Potter coaster updates and have been using them along with some others to figure out what this ride is going to be.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

The main takeaway from this photo update is the fact that all of the World Of Color: Season Of Light infrastructure is back. The presents that make the floating foams, and the added light barges in the water.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
WDW Splash Mountain GOAT Status: Still GOAT

Splash Mountain is honestly the Resident Evil 4 of theme park rides imo (hey, it's a video game forum :p). It's relatively long but supports that length with superb pacing. Love the twin lifts at the start with a final drop preview in between, the drops are well paced both in their placement and their escalating intensity (with the exception of drop 3 which is more of a breather), and the final lift into the last drop along with the visuals and music there really makes a fifty foot plunge feel more daunting than it actually is. Soundtrack and the ending scene are also GOAT level. Great theming, pure fun.

Drawback: bad timing can have you get fuckin' blasted by the water cannon before lift 2. Not that I would know anything about that *runs away*

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
WDW Splash Mountain GOAT Status: Still GOAT

Splash Mountain is honestly the Resident Evil 4 of theme park rides imo (hey, it's a video game forum :p). It's relatively long but supports that length with superb pacing. Love the twin lifts at the start with a final drop preview in between, the drops are well paced both in their placement and their escalating intensity (with the exception of drop 3 which is more of a breather), and the final lift into the last drop along with the visuals and music there really makes a fifty foot plunge feel more daunting than it actually is. Soundtrack and the ending scene are also GOAT level. Great theming, pure fun.

Drawback: bad timing can have you get fuckin' blasted by the water cannon before lift 2. Not that I would know anything about that *runs away*

Fun Fact: that ride is based on Song of the South, which is one of Disney's most racist movies and I believe it is no longer available to rent, buy, or even watch...

Aside from that, I do like that ride a lot, but I never want to get wet, because then I have to schlep around the park with wet socks and sneakers and its annoying.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
At DHS for the first time in forever

Holy shit I forgot how GOAT Tower of Terror is. The facade, its place on Sunset Boulevard, the theming, the preshow, the AIRTIME

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
At DHS for the first time in forever

Holy shit I forgot how GOAT Tower of Terror is. The facade, its place on Sunset Boulevard, the theming, the preshow, the AIRTIME

ToT single handedly makes me go "well maybe I should go to DHS" despite any logic. It's just disappointing to see the whole lead up has been toned down over the years with generic shops, RnR, and Fantasmic being added. But yeah the ride is fantastic and still one of the best in Orlando, I will riot if anything happens to it.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Not a fan of the updated Star Tours overall but the Crait scene was pretty damn good actually. Dat Galaxy's Edge shill at the end doe :l

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of the updated Star Tours overall but the Crait scene was pretty damn good actually. Dat Galaxy's Edge shill at the end doe :l

Have they not turned that back into a randomized rotation yet? I guess they're keeping it until Galaxy's Edge comes out like they did when Force Awakens and Last Jedi were coming out. It basically serves the purpose of keeping Star Tours in the loop since it's not in the themed land.

Fun Fact: that ride is based on Song of the South, which is one of Disney's most racist movies and I believe it is no longer available to rent, buy, or even watch...

Aside from that, I do like that ride a lot, but I never want to get wet, because then I have to schlep around the park with wet socks and sneakers and its annoying.
I managed to track it down and watch it. Basically what they did for the ride was remove all of the live action bits (although the quotes scattered around the queue are from the live action parts of the movie) and combine the animated segments into one large segment. Having context for what's happening over the course of the ride helps but it isn't completely necessary to understand it. It's kinda funny how much of a presence that ride has considering the source material was basically completely swept under the rug.

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Went to Magic Kingdom yesterday and Space Mountain was a bit bumpier than I remembered it being.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Just got my silver FL resident annual pass again. We back.

Awwwww yeeeeee

Time to start dat lifestyln'

Went to Magic Kingdom yesterday and Space Mountain was a bit bumpier than I remembered it being.

MK Space has been a raging dumpster fire for years imo. Way way way too fucking rough. Needs a total rebuild from scratch.

Greatest theme attraction in the world.

It's really tough to say if it's number one for me overall (Splash Mountain and Spider-Man are reallllly good), but for theming? Yeah it's tops easily.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
We don't talk too much about theme park food in here, but I just wanted to say that I resent that they took away the vegetable and pork egg rolls from Magic Kingdom. Now they only have the Cheeseburger and Potato and Bacon varieties. Mess. I dunno how long it has been this way as I don't tend to eat from the food stands that often.

I went to the parks during the recent cold snap here in FL. That coupled with all the winter decorations made for a good time.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Friend of the pod Alicia has uploaded a good video on the Mario Kart rumors.

That is a cool ride system and would fit perfectly in a MK setting, but like the narrator says, she doubts that that is what is going to be used...

Also, if the rumors are true that the Super Nintendo World in Orlando is going to anchor their 4th gate, then I am all for a delay in them opening it. I want to be able to hop on a quick flight down to FL and experience the biggest version of that land...

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
That is a cool ride system and would fit perfectly in a MK setting, but like the narrator says, she doubts that that is what is going to be used...

Also, if the rumors are true that the Super Nintendo World in Orlando is going to anchor their 4th gate, then I am all for a delay in them opening it. I want to be able to hop on a quick flight down to FL and experience the biggest version of that land...

It's 100% in the fourth park. Reportedly the Donkey Kong ride is being upgraded too.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Reportedly the Donkey Kong ride is being upgraded too.

oktne88.gif

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone else check out this video of the new Beauty and the beast ride coming to TDL? The AA Animatronics look insane...

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017

So this leaked, and I've been working on a write up of the park. Check it out.

http://www.parkscope.net/2018/12/lets-talk-about-universals-fantastic.html

That rumor first popped up around July of this year, with several theme park and non theme park sites reporting on it, and then nothing ever came of it... I mean I am not saying its not real, and it makes sense that Nintendo World is part of it, as its always been believed that it was going to anchor a new park and not get shoe horned into USF... I assume USO will announce this and possibly the new Potter coaster sometime early in the new year...

Bucknuticus

UCF Super fan! Go Knights!
Oct 25, 2017
going to any disney park on NYE or Christmas seems like hell on earth and the worst idea

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Booked my flights for Florida earlier tonight. This will be my first time going with friends rather than family, so will be interesting to see how that changes things.

We're heading over late October/early November so hopefully the new Star Wars section will be open, but I am truly dreading how busy it's going to be.