• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this on the reddit

dsikgew76i031.jpg

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe the Kyber Crystal are $49.99 a pop.

Oooof

All for a different sound and color blade.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm curious... Does anyone know approx how many reservation spots there were per 4 hour time block?

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still feeling a perfect 50/50 mix of excitement and dread about visiting the Star Wars stuff when I go to Florida in November.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017

Wow... really? Are we supposed to be feel bad for him? Ohhhh, boo hoo, you got yelled at by a cast member pretending to be an employee of Hondo.... Dude, just laugh it off...

I do not understand why people get so sensitive about this stuff... If I were the pilot and was hitting things and people yelled at me, I would've been like "Have you ever flown this yet, because if you think you can do a better job, get your ass up here!" and if a CM tells you you owe them money, just look at them and laugh and say "Do you take a personal check" and then just walk away... It's all part of the experience... and who knows, maybe Disney can adjust the flight controls after they have received feedback from people...

His review sounded like one big "Feel sorry for me" blog post.

I give his review a thumbs down! ;)

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They've flat out told us for years that the characters would give you shit for being bad at it. It's not even the only ride to do that. MIB Alien Attack does it too if you lose.

Pilot: it takes skill and I was bad at it!

Gunner: WTF it doesn't take any skill!

That was good advice though to wait until later in the day to ride it. Everyone will go there first and then filter out into the rest of the land

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The post ride feedback is whatever, but I'm interested to verify the accuracy of the gunner and engineer positions being awful and making the ride uncomfortable due to the RV motion and how you have to physically turn to interact with the buttons.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
The post ride feedback is whatever, but I'm interested to verify the accuracy of the gunner and engineer positions being awful and making the ride uncomfortable due to the RV motion and how you have to physically turn to interact with the buttons.

The few videos I've watched of people actually riding it, shows the gunner setting the guns to auto and just pressing the button as quick as possible while facing front...

The engineer, I have not yet seen how they interact, but some reviews have said its the best postion because you can just sit back and watch the show and press a button here and there to repair the ship....

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the way the cockpit is set up you might have to
SWGE_Millennium_Falcon_empty.jpg

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The few videos I've watched of people actually riding it, shows the gunner setting the guns to auto and just pressing the button as quick as possible while facing front...

The engineer, I have not yet seen how they interact, but some reviews have said its the best postion because you can just sit back and watch the show and press a button here and there to repair the ship....

Yeah I'd probably prefer to be able to sit back and enjoy the ride if I don't get pilot. Pressing a flashing button doesn't really appeal to me.

Edit - who am I kidding, how could I possibly take the pilot position as a local instead of giving it to a kid who might only ever ride it once

Last edited:

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
What I want to see are videos of Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Billy Dee on Smugglers Run. I want to hear what Ford thinks of it... he'd probably say something real salty and I would love it.

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how Disney will handle guest complaints with the Smugglers Run ride if you get stuck with a group of people who are completely obnoxious and ruin the experience on purpose.

Also, I wonder if people will start selling job spots on the ride when they get assigned and someone really really really wants to be the Pilot.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
So, early reports coming out Batuu is that if you buy Jedi Robes or any other costume in Galaxy's Edge, you are not allowed to wear it while in Galaxy's Edge (what?), unlike at Universal where if you buy wizard robes, you can walk around in those robes without an issue...

Such an odd rule for Disney to implement, especially for a land that has been built around it being so immersive.

Oct 25, 2017
So, early reports coming out Batuu is that if you buy Jedi Robes or any other costume in Galaxy's Edge, you are not allowed to wear it while in Galaxy's Edge (what?), unlike at Universal where if you buy wizard robes, you can walk around in those robes without an issue...

Such an odd rule for Disney to implement, especially for a land that has been built around it being so immersive.

Looks like Disneybounding ain't going anywhere.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT

I find this rule totally bizarre and unnecessary. It's not like any CMs in the land is wearing Jedi robes.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Weird, I went to park yesterday to go check out the merch (btw everyone there's a ton of merch available in Star Traders and the pins are available pretty much everywhere in the park. Limit 1 of each item per person, it seemed), and I saw a TON of people dressed up. It was hard to discern who was wearing costumes they bought and who brought theirs from home. Also the park was fairly empty because everyone assumed it'd be crowded, so it was fine until about 5pm when the Grad Nite kids showed up.

I got three pins (the opening day limited release ones and the Annual Passholder one), a patch for a friend, and a DJ R3X Metal Earth for another friend, but there was a LOT of shit there to buy.

Walking through there like
tenor.gif

Last edited:

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Weird, I went to park yesterday to go check out the merch (btw everyone there's a ton of merch available in Star Traders and the pins are available pretty much everywhere in the park. Limit 1 of each item per person, it seemed), and I saw a TON of people dressed up. It was hard to discern who was wearing costumes they bought and who brought theirs from home. Also the park was fairly empty because everyone assumed it'd be crowded, so it was fine until about 5pm when the Grad Nite kids showed up.

I got three pins (the opening day limited release ones and the Annual Passholder one), a patch for a friend, and a DJ R3X Metal Earth for another friend, but there was a LOT of shit there to buy.

Walking through there like
tenor.gif

You seem to be talking about DL proper having people dressed in robes.... Did you go to Galaxy's Edge? I believe that that is where they do not want anyone wearing any costumes...

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Also:

But in better news here's one of my favorite theme park you tubers who does great intros at Galaxy's Edge!

I agree about the droids and the sabers....

What happens if there was no rule about using the saber on Battu, and you and your friend start to duel and you accidentally hit another guest, or hit something else and it breaks? You are now out $200 and who do you blame? Disney? The guest for getting in your way? Or yourself for taking it out in the first place?

With the droids, its the same principle... Dad takes little Johnny to go make a droid and drops $100 on it, and then they leave the shop and little Johnny takes it out and starts playing with it in the land and some other guest walking with his family doesnt see it and kicks it and breaks it. Whose fault is it now that little Johnny is out of a brand new droid and dad is out $100? Disney? The other park guest who didn't see it? Or yourself for taking it out in the first place....

I guarantee that in both of those situations the paying park guest will blame Disney or the other guest that led to the breakage of their saber or droid... even though there are rules in place for not taking it out in the first place.

I see people comparing Universal to Disney with how they allow kids and adults to wear wizard robes and use wands in their lands, and while I do think it is stupid on Disney's part to forbid guests from wearing robes and what not on Battu (I mean CM's are wearing name badges, so it'll never be a case of mistaken identity), I do not think it is dumb for them to ban the use of your $200 saber in the park or your $100 droid.

Lastly, I have seen many a photo of park guests on Battu posing in front of the Falcon or Kylo's ship or the X & A Wing ships with their sabers on display or their droids on the ground... the difference is that once the pic if over, they are putting them away.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Going to Alton Towers this week for a couple of days :) Can't wait to get back on Wicker Man.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Prolly gonna re-up my Universal Orlando AP for Hagrid's. Ride sounds totally bonkers. Arguably the best ride in Orlando?!

Planning to go on Saturday. I'm expecting heavy crowds but hopefully I can snag a virtual line slot not too long after park opening.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017

Finally, a ride video has been posted! It looks good, but I get the feeling it's a hundred times better at night.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
First time I saw it I was like "this is a night ride."

Weren't the side cars supposed to separate at some point?

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
Cant help but think it'd be improved by adding even more trees, theres still a lot of empty space around Fluffy and the car that, again, you wont notice as much when its night.

Also, it'd be better if they slowed down at Fluffy, maybe have it bark at you to go away.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Prolly gonna re-up my Universal Orlando AP for Hagrid's. Ride sounds totally bonkers. Arguably the best ride in Orlando?! Planning to go on Saturday. I'm expecting heavy crowds but hopefully I can snag a virtual line slot not too long after park opening.

At the Hyatt bar in MCO, cya in the parks this weekend?

First time I saw it I was like "this is a night ride." Weren't the side cars supposed to separate at some point?

Nope!

Cant help but think it'd be improved by adding even more trees, theres still a lot of empty space around Fluffy and the car that, again, you wont notice as much when its night. Also, it'd be better if they slowed down at Fluffy, maybe have it bark at you to go away.

There's *a lot* of trees and not all of it is supposed to be the forrest. That being said this ride will grow in a lot and will be even better in a few years.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
At the Hyatt bar in MCO, cya in the parks this weekend?

lol, I would have said yes, but after today? Was following IU and your updates and that had to be rough as hell to deal with. Think I'm gonna give it another week or two.

I'm guessing the reported utilities/infrastructure(?) issue from this morning was the source of the problem? Weather aside, the ride seemed to have operated much smoother yesterday. Wonder what happened. Hopefully you can get another crack at it under less strenuous circumstances :l

Last edited:

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking at other on-ride experiences for Smugglers Run and people got a scene where your hyperspeed drive fails on the way back to batuu and you get stuck in an asteroid field. This only seems to happen in videos where they were doing badly.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking at other on-ride experiences for Smugglers Run and people got a scene where your hyperspeed drive fails on the way back to batuu and you get stuck in an asteroid field. This only seems to happen in videos where they were doing badly.

This happened to me on my 2nd time on. The reason for this is because one of the engineers was a 3yr old who had no idea what was going on or what she had to do and her mom was the other engineer and she was just filming everything, so neither of them were pressing buttons. At point I was shooting tie fighters and also trying to repair the ship and then launch the tow cable at the train. Man, when reservations end and the park opens to everyone, if someone takes this ride to seriously and something like this happens, they're gonna be pissed, especially because they probably had to wait in a 3hr line.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This happened to me on my 2nd time on. The reason for this is because one of the engineers was a 3yr old who had no idea what was going on or what she had to do and her mom was the other engineer and she was just filming everything, so neither of them were pressing buttons. At point I was shooting tie fighters and also trying to repair the ship and then launch the tow cable at the train. Man, when reservations end and the park opens to everyone, if someone takes this ride to seriously and something like this happens, they're gonna be pissed, especially because they probably had to wait in a 3hr line.
Yeah I can see this being an issue for some really frustrated people vs some people who just decided to stick their kids in the important seats. Only thing I had was that every single left pilot in each of my runs failed to hit the brakes in time because they don't tell you where the brakes are ahead of time. While slightly frustrating because you take a big hit from that crash, I do appreciate the subtle callback to original Star Tours with that. On top of that you can see the new Star Tours starspeeder landing on Batuu at the end right before you land back in the hangar

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
That feeling when you want to go back to WDW but no one wants to go with you...

It has been 11 years...

☹️

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I can see this being an issue for some really frustrated people vs some people who just decided to stick their kids in the important seats. Only thing I had was that every single left pilot in each of my runs failed to hit the brakes in time because they don't tell you where the brakes are ahead of time. While slightly frustrating because you take a big hit from that crash, I do appreciate the subtle callback to original Star Tours with that. On top of that you can see the new Star Tours starspeeder landing on Batuu at the end right before you land back in the hangar

It's not like they can stick the kid wherever they want, you are assigned positions, but still, you really should be able to understand what is going on and how to press buttons.

Also, I am not sure why its so hard for people to perform their functions... each time you need to press a button or flip a switch or jump to lightspeed, the corresponding button, switch, or lever blinks green....

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not like they can stick the kid wherever they want, you are assigned positions, but still, you really should be able to understand what is going on and how to press buttons.

Also, I am not sure why its so hard for people to perform their functions... each time you need to press a button or flip a switch or jump to lightspeed, the corresponding button, switch, or lever blinks green....
Interactivity on a ride isn't something people are used to. Theres no Mission Space out here

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Interactivity on a ride isn't something people are used to. Theres no Mission Space out here

Regardless, Mission Space has no real interactivity aside from when Gary Sinise tells you to push a button, but even if you do not push it, there is no different outcome to the story. With Smugglers Run, if you forget to push something, it directly affects the story and the shape the falcon is in when it comes back to port...

Now, granted, there are no real instructions ahead of time, but any normal person should figure out that if they see a blinking green box around a button, they should press it.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless, Mission Space has no real interactivity aside from when Gary Sinise tells you to push a button, but even if you do not push it, there is no different outcome to the story. With Smugglers Run, if you forget to push something, it directly affects the story and the shape the falcon is in when it comes back to port...

Now, granted, there are no real instructions ahead of time, but any normal person should figure out that if they see a blinking green box around a button, they should press it.
You expect too much of tourists