• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I haven't seen thread about it, so this is my take on that.

In the past, controller always had the same color as the console. Most of PS4 special version follow that pattern too (Spider Man, 20th anniversery, GoW, Days of PLay), with few exceptions (Death Stranding, recently).

When they made the Dualshock v2, the most obvious change was to make the lightbar visible on the top of the touchpad :

Does it remind you something ?
It is a "mirror" top down view of the PS4 / Pro.
SECONDE EDIT : So I was wrong, the PS4 revision doesn't have the light bar in front. It is still true for the Pro. I don't have a picture of the top down view of the pro but you can extrapolate from this :
playstation-pro-regular.jpg

So, if console has the same color as the controller, and if the touchpad is a top down view of the console, I guess (sorry for the poorly edit) this is the PS5 (but this time no mirror) :

The front view (I won't try to mock up it) is probably a sandwich of top white, middle light bar, bottom black.

What do you think? Do you like it?

EDIT
A better representation of what it could be than my poor edit. I don't think it will ba that thin and buttons on top, but that's the idea :
Something like this?
71mypfAU0GL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

EDIT2 :
So, this clickait website stole my idea and make a better edit of mine. So let's stole it :
1586391885_234_PS5-the-console-design-revealed-by-the-DualSense-controller.jpg

I believe in citing source, not matter what, so I will do it, but don't click, nothing to see here :
https://www.playerzdominiance.com/ps5-the-console-design-revealed-by-the-dualsense-controller/

Last edited:

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
We'll have to wait for Sony to randomly tweet out on a Thursday what the console looks like

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Though there's no mockup, OP has a point. That's the kind of design cue that follows through to a full form factors design.

OP
OP
Thera

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
So a lot of people can't see the images, where is the best way to put them that eveyones can see?

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
If they keep the dual intakes then I could see that shape being used in the middle, but I still expect a standard rectangle console.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
Is this the level of desperation we have reached? Lol

I do think it'll look similar to the controller though. And the blog post made a point to mention the two-tone colours. I think that'll carry over to the console itself.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Like the launch PS4 overhead shot looks nothing like the touchpad on the DS4. I don't know what OP is getting at.

I mean the obviously went with some kind of V shape with the DS5 touchpad and lights and the devkit has the same shape so yeah its possible the final console will have a V type shape but what does that have to do with the DS4 touchpad lol.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I think they will incorporate a V in some form, but i dont think it will look like this.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I get from the OP, and I agree, is that instead of the rectangular form language with harsh corners etc well see a more rounded take. Akin to the one of the Sony VR hardware and the new controller.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
The gentle 'V' of the touchpad does seem very deliberate, and no doubt is a touch more expensive than a rectangular pad. It is a bit of a reminder of some of the silhouette of the dev kit. Not saying the final box will look exactly like the dev kit, but I think some design elements might transfer over.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I think we might get something vaguely reminiscent of the devkit, but massively refined and more like the usual console design of recent years, lots of flat edges, minimalist.. but I think if the PS5 has insane cooling it could incorporate the V style trench from the devkit (but much shallower, maybe only a centimetre deep slit or something) and it will be lined with the strip led light reminiscent of the controller, yes.