• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghostship

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. I don't think Nintendo, or at least Miyamoto, cares that much.
2. Until I see another post-Hey Pikmin source on it, I'm assuming Philips is spinning bullshit on Miyamoto's statements. See 1.
3. Your actually the first person able to provide me a non EG source on the topic, so that's some pretty significant ground. That said, it's prior to the announcement of HP, so it's not supremely useful.

Again, forget "at least" Miyamoto. Phillips secured - or, in your world, claims to have secured - a separate statement from Nintendo confirming Pikmin 4 is in development. Eurogamer is one of the biggest video game outlets going, and the news was subsequently reported by IGN, Gamespot etc. It's frankly a surreal stance for you to take, but more power to you.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The theory in the OP sounds persuasive given the information that we have in public view, but I have two problems with it that nobody seems to have raised.

1. Suppose you are a rumour-miller or news reporter who hears about Star Fox GP. Then you see the Starlink content, like the rest of us, and you think, "Huh, that looks uncannily like what I heard about Star Fox GP." Why wouldn't you say so? Why wouldn't you walk it back or admit that confusing the two was a real possibility? It would probably be a benefit to your credibility, and the main reason not to do it would be if it inadvertently reveals something about your source (i.e. that you weren't hearing about this from the sources plugged into Ubisoft). That none of the people who corroborated the rumour (by stating they also heard it from private sources) have walked it back tells me they are sitting on something specific that led them to see the Starlink footage and think, "No, that's not the thing I heard about."

2. The rumour mill is protective of its sources for obvious reasons, and sometimes multiple reports are tapping the same pool of sources (and they are sometimes aware of this from communications with each other, but other times not). But one network where we know that the rumour-mongers have established connections is Ubisoft. There is quite a lot of past precedent for believing that even unrestrained, hit-and-miss types like Liam Robertson are specifically plugged into Europe via NoE's marketing operations or via Ubisoft directly; Ubisoft is a giant of a business and a notoriously leaky ship. If these people are reporting on the Star Fox rumour as something to do with Retro, what that tells me is that they weren't getting this (or any other overlapping information) from their sources from Ubisoft, and didn't check it against their sources from Ubisoft even after the Starlink/Star Fox crossover was revealed last year. In a scenario where a reporter looks at Starlink and thinks, "Huh, that matches what I heard about Star Fox GP," they have the means to evaluate whether their sources might have had contact with either Ubisoft or Nintendo's licensing with third parties.

Basically, what I'm saying is that if a rumour reporter considers the theory that looks so plausible to us in the public view—that Star Fox GP was a misunderstanding brought on by Starlink—they have the means to privately evaluate whether this theory holds given the nature of their sources and information, a context that is available to them but not to us. And if this was a goof, they would have said so.

I think it's healthy to be sceptical of these things, to wonder where and how information might have gotten distorted along the way, and to recognize that sometimes reporters are all sitting on a mass of information that is not credible enough to report until somebody else says it first. And sometimes, all that says is that multiple reporters were fed approximately the same thing. In my experience, most of the front-line Nintendo-adjacent leakers actually do have various points of access, but terrible analytical skills when it comes to processing/handling the information, and not always the best judgement about what to report and when. And we do have to be cautious about apparent confirmations from reputable reporters under big mastheads when all they're claiming is, "We heard this too."

To be totally disproportionate about video games for a minute, you have to think about this like the Steele dossier and the pee tape. Sometimes what we get is a dump of raw intelligence: "This may not be true, but it's what people are saying, and you should know they are saying it." And whether the reporter commits to this information or walks it back is itself a tell, because what they know, and we don't, is who is saying it. If one of the people who originally reported on this comes out and says, "It's plausible that Starlink was the game I heard about," then it's safe to assume Star Fox GP was a lot of smoke. But in the meantime, it's significant that they haven't.

I did think about this, and you're right that someone could recheck with their sources now and tell us if the source may have confused Starlink footage with Starfox GP. I don't think the fact that nobody has done this yet should really be a knock against the theory though, since I don't expect reporters in general to have seen this thread (or the theory itself which predates the thread) and even if someone has it's unlikely they jumped immediately to contact their source who immediately got back to them. Generally these things take a few days of communication I'd imagine.

But yeah, it's certainly an interesting possibility.

If anybody else is able to re-confirm the existence of Pikmin 4, I'll believe it exists. But for now, it's just a bed of 2DS sadness.

Emily just the other day said it's real but was rebooted:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...d-about-something-read-op.98257/post-17711574

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I wonder what they have been working on that entire time then. Donkey Kong?

Surely it can't be another donkey kong. Tropical Freeze came out like 5 years ago, surely they wouldnt have spent a 5 year dev cycle on a single DK game. There has to have been something since they only just go put onto metroid prime.

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
I had the same thought Once I saw the racing segment for Starlink.

Star Fox and racing just don't mix and makes no sense to me.

But then the real question is what have Retro been doing all this time?

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Just to go over what I edited in the OP:

If this rumor is in fact real, then it would mean that Nintendo greenlit Starfox content for a Ubisoft game that includes a racing mode while also developing their own Starfox racing game.

I honestly just find that possibility much more far-fetched than the alternative I presented above.

This is the bit that boggles my mind the most, if Grand Prix is real. It would never make sense for them to compete with themselves like that.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
I did think about this, and you're right that someone could recheck with their sources now and tell us if the source may have confused Starlink footage with Starfox GP. I don't think the fact that nobody has done this yet should really be a knock against the theory though, since I don't expect reporters in general to have seen this thread (or the theory itself which predates the thread) and even if someone has it's unlikely they jumped immediately to contact their source who immediately got back to them. Generally these things take a few days of communication I'd imagine.

But yeah, it's certainly an interesting possibility.

Emily just said it's real but was rebooted the other day:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...d-about-something-read-op.98257/post-17711574
I forgot about that. But if she's right I guess it doesn't matter what its state was in the years up to now.

I'm going to drop this line of argument, but re-learning that he was the one reporting on the infamous Pokemon Stars leak definitely does not give me any confidence about his credibility.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
What's the possibility that Nintendo sees the excitement about this rumor and then remember a certain futuristic racing series they own?

Last edited:

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
The only problem I have with this theory is that Starlink was playable at E3 2017. These mistakes are excusable in a vacuum of information... but there was no vacuum. I suppose it still possible, but its a massive screw up for them to be this wrong.

GarrettInk

Feb 6, 2019
I never understood why people believed that rumor, tbh.
But I don't think the leak referred to starlink.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The only problem I have with this theory is that Starlink was playable at E3 2017. These mistakes are excusable in a vacuum of information... but there was no vacuum. I suppose it still possible, but its a massive screw up for them to be this wrong.

It was playable but it did not have Starfox. Starfox was only revealed to be in the game in E3 2018.

ghostship

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was playable but it did not have Starfox. Starfox was only revealed to be in the game in E3 2018.

But I suppose the point is that as it had already been revealed someone relatively switched on who saw it should be able to twig "hang on, this looks like Starlink but with Starfox in it".

The counterpoint to which is that the ground zero source wasn't relatively switched on, and then described it to journalists who - without images to give the game away - took them at their word.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Man, props to Retro for keeping whatever they have been working on under wraps this long. The most frustrating thing is we may never know. If their next released project ends up being Metroid Prime 4 several years from now, I'm gonna say it was real and canned. If anything comes out between now and then I'll say SF:GP was fake. That is as close to the truth as I'll probably ever get unless someone gets an interview with someone from Retro at some point.

Update from Jason Schreier

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So since I know a lot of you care deeply about this thing, let me make a quick comment. The way I constructed this story was very deliberate, and it was very heavily couched because I wasn't nearly as sure as I usually am when I report on these things. When I have confirmed something firsthand with my own sources who have direct knowledge of information, you'll see me be a lot clearer. (ie: "Sources: Watch Dogs 3 Is Real And Set In London.") When I'm sharing something that I think is true but can't confidently confirm (which is fairly uncommon), you'll see me be a lot more careful with my words, like this:

A piping hot new E3 rumor suggests that Retro Studios, the Nintendo-owned developer behind the Metroid Prime trilogy, is making a Star Fox racing game. These rumors have been floating around gossipy Nintendo fan and writer circles for at least a few weeks now, but they've only gone public today, suggesting that Retro's new game is called Star Fox: Grand Prix.
We've heard the same from a source plugged into goings-on at Nintendo, and we've also heard from two other sources that the Austin, Texas-based Retro had a separate project that went through a rocky development cycle and may in fact be canceled.

The second part of that statement I am still very confident in. Retro has had a troubled last few years, from what I've heard.

But today I spoke to the person I referred to as "a source plugged into goings-on at Nintendo" in that article and they are no longer confident that Star Fox Grand Prix is real. I won't burn my sources or say anything that could possibly identify them, but it's very, very possible that this is one of those rumors that never had much air in the first place. A lot of Nintendo rumor-mongers talk to each other, a lot of things get lost in translation, and sometimes what appears to be coming from multiple sources might actually be coming from a ring of people sharing information with one another. That's why I try to be very careful when it comes to reporting on Nintendo-related gossip that comes my way. So much of that stuff has turned out to be bunk, even from extremely reputable reporters.

Ultimately, I don't know if Star Fox Grand Prix is real or was ever real. I'm not as interested in that question as I am in the question of how the recent Metroid Prime 4 deal came together (and just what's been happening at Retro over the past few years), but that's a story that has proven difficult to tell. Hopefully one day!

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
jschreier Thank you for the update! Very interesting, and I greatly appreciate the transparency.

But I suppose the point is that as it had already been revealed someone relatively switched on who saw it should be able to twig "hang on, this looks like Starlink but with Starfox in it".

The counterpoint to which is that the ground zero source wasn't relatively switched on, and then described it to journalists who - without images to give the game away - took them at their word.

The other counterpoint is, if a source sees a game with Starfox characters that looks a bit like Starlink, would they first think it's a new Nintendo game or would they first think Nintendo has allowed Ubisoft to add Starfox characters to an existing multiplat? I'd naturally go with the former.

Sawzer

Nov 5, 2017
Retro's "secret project" (if there is any) can be revealed at any Direct up until the re-reveal of MP4. Why do people say that E3 2019 is the last possible venue for that?

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
So since I know a lot of you care deeply about this thing, let me make a quick comment. The way I constructed this story was very deliberate, and it was very heavily couched because I wasn't nearly as sure as I usually am when I report on these things. When I have confirmed something firsthand with my own sources who have direct knowledge of information, you'll see me be a lot clearer. (ie: "Sources: Watch Dogs 3 Is Real And Set In London.") When I'm sharing something that I think is true but can't confidently confirm (which is fairly uncommon), you'll see me be a lot more careful with my words, like this:

A piping hot new E3 rumor suggests that Retro Studios, the Nintendo-owned developer behind the Metroid Prime trilogy, is making a Star Fox racing game. These rumors have been floating around gossipy Nintendo fan and writer circles for at least a few weeks now, but they've only gone public today, suggesting that Retro's new game is called Star Fox: Grand Prix.
We've heard the same from a source plugged into goings-on at Nintendo, and we've also heard from two other sources that the Austin, Texas-based Retro had a separate project that went through a rocky development cycle and may in fact be canceled.

The second part of that statement I am still very confident in. Retro has had a troubled last few years, from what I've heard.

But today I spoke to the person I referred to as "a source plugged into goings-on at Nintendo" in that article and they are no longer confident that Star Fox Grand Prix is real. I won't burn my sources or say anything that could possibly identify them, but it's very, very possible that this is one of those rumors that never had much air in the first place. A lot of Nintendo rumor-mongers talk to each other, a lot of things get lost in translation, and sometimes what appears to be coming from multiple sources might actually be coming from a ring of people sharing information with one another. That's why I try to be very careful when it comes to reporting on Nintendo-related gossip that comes my way. So much of that stuff has turned out to be bunk, even from extremely reputable reporters.

Ultimately, I don't know if Star Fox Grand Prix is real or was ever real. I'm not as interested in that question as I am in the question of how the recent Metroid Prime 4 deal came together (and just what's been happening at Retro over the past few years), but that's a story that has proven difficult to tell. Hopefully one day!
Thanks for the update, appreciate it.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Seeing as nobody is able to say anything definitive about Star Fox Grand Prix, I am not surprised that you seem to have a similarly difficult time with finding out about the last half decade of Retro and Metroid Prime 4. Retro continues to be the Swiss bank of the gaming industry.

In any case, appreciate the transparency here.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
hadyouapkgu.jpg

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing as nobody is able to say anything definitive about Star Fox Grand Prix, I am not surprised that you seem to have a similarly difficult time with finding out about the last half decade of Retro and Metroid Prime 4. Retro continues to be the Swiss bank of the gaming industry.

In any case, appreciate the transparency here.

If this turns out to be fake then it's absolutely nuts how tight lipped Retro is. Imagine working for a studio that hasn't put out an original product in 5 years, still keeping silent on what you're working on even after all of that stress and rumored turmoil.

It's pretty remarkable how secretive they are.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
I was just about to tweet to Jason, lol.

Something that I found funny since the whole Metroid Prime 4 debacle is: So Star Fox Grand Prix was leaked but NOBODY leaked the fact that Retro was again working in Metroid Prime 4?

Yeah, it's a bummer to read that this may have never existed but at least we won't be expecting a reveal whenever a new Direct is announced.

ghostship

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
jschreier Thank you for the update! Very interesting, and I greatly appreciate the transparency.

The other counterpoint is, if a source sees a game with Starfox characters that looks a bit like Starlink, would they first think it's a new Nintendo game or would they first think Nintendo has allowed Ubisoft to add Starfox characters to an existing multiplat? I'd naturally go with the former.

Yes, really it depends on exactly what the source saw, and under what circumstances, at which point we're dancing with angels on pinheads.

Interesting intervention from Jason there though! That actually makes me a little more confident about my idea that Retro has struggled badly away from Tanabe, and the latest decision is a way to get both them and MP4 back on track.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, really it depends on exactly what the source saw, and under what circumstances, at which point we're dancing with angels on pinheads.

Interesting intervention from Jason there though! That actually makes me a little more confident about my idea that Retro has struggled badly away from Tanabe, and the latest decision is a way to get both them and MP4 back on track.

Yeah you have an interesting theory too. Tanabe also "struggled" with Next Level Games (although that game may have been better received if we knew mainline Metroid wasn't dead at the time) so maybe this is a way to get both Retro and Tanabe back up to snuff.

I really hope it works out.

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the update, Jason. I'm going to wait til E3 before I completely give up on this rumor but my expectations are very low.

Man, I can't imagine what's going on at Retro. At this point, I'm just hoping they have something new to release. It would really suck if rebooting MP4 is all they're doing at this point.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017

Metroid Prime 4 would make a fantastic chapter for Blood, Sweat and Pixels 2! Hahaha

Keep doing your thing, Jason, you're one of the most reliable sources when it comes to these rumors. Thanks for clarifying what you know.

Jan 11, 2018

This is so interesting, thanks for sharing. If Retro really is indeed has been troubled over the last half decade, it makes the whole MP4 situation even more bizarre.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unbelievable. Sounds like I can start discussing any type of Retro game again after this update. Starfox GP is looking dead.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm left at two scenarios. All of Retro's games have been canceled and this is a "Metroid Prime 1" type of situation again or there is some kind of game Retro does have.

Good god this is like two extremes to me. One is just sad af to think they have nothing from DKCTF in 2014 all the way to possibly 2022.

The second scenario puts us back to 2014 to where we have no clue what game they have and we can have an OPEN discussion about anything again. Lmao

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm left at two scenarios. All of Retro's games have been canceled and this is a "Metroid Prime 1" type of situation again or there is some kind of game Retro does have.

Good god this is like two extremes to me. One is just sad af to think they have nothing from DKCTF in 2014 all the way to possibly 2022.

The second scenario puts us back to 2014 to where we have no clue what game they have and we can have an OPEN discussion about anything again. Lmao

Well Jason noted that he's still confident in his other sources who indicated that at least one project had a troubled development and may have been cancelled.

So it's still possible they have worked on a separate game since then (or before or concurrently) that will actually ship, but it just isn't (likely) Starfox GP.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017

If it's scenario 1.

Looks like Retro is going to release a Prime Game of the Generation again. (I'm thinking positive here).

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I have no idea if the game exists or not, but I was told pretty bluntly and honestly from a person at Retro who would know and wouldn't lie to me -- Retro never worked on a Star Fox Grand Prix. Take my words with a grain of salt if you want, but I'm certain that they weren't doing it.

I choose to believe you because
1) I really hope the rumor was wrong. Starfox GP sounds like a horrible idea
2) I instantly thought roughly the same as OP during the direct when Starlink happened.

Thanks for the insight mate

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well Jason noted that he's still confident in his other sources indicated that at least one project had a troubled development and may have been cancelled.

So it's still possible they have worked on a separate game since then (or before or concurrently) that will actually ship, but it just isn't (likely) Starfox GP.
Yeah. Plus with the writer Jon Verrall leaving there in June 2018 tells me they had something going good. I'm leaning towards my second option.

I'm just so happy I can talk about Startropics reboot from Retro again 😭

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately all we really know about what Retro is/was working on is that they had a project in development as of E3 2015 when Tanabe confirmed that Prime 4 wasn't in development, as well as at E3 2017 when Nintendo confirmed that Retro wasn't developing Prime 4, and that their schedule opened up in or before January of this year when they took over development of Prime 4.

I could very easily see Retro having a completed project that Nintendo sees as enough of a headliner to sit on for E3, though.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea if the game exists or not, but I was told pretty bluntly and honestly from a person at Retro who would know and wouldn't lie to me -- Retro never worked on a Star Fox Grand Prix. Take my words with a grain of salt if you want, but I'm certain that they weren't doing it.
Sorry if you don't mind me asking, are you just like a friend of someone who works at Retro?

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Really hope Retro makes a cracking Metroid game because wow, it seems like they've had quite the rough time the last few years

Hateno

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 30, 2017
Add another to team OP.

Not only does yesterday's footage suggest this, the fact there was any sort of western Nintendo leak correlates with Ubisoft being the leakiest ship on the seven gaming seas.