• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DerAuto

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Please don't be Bloodborne 2.
I love the Soul series, but I hated BB D:

A new IP would be welcome if it's from From Software!

whats-wrong-with-you.gif

I don't think they would put up a trailer like this if it wasn't Bloodborne.

HDMF76

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No way this is BB2. I bet its another offshoot. They confirmed last year they arent working on any continuations.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Gooo new ip, the soulsborne formula is getting stale, i want from software and their considerable talent to go nuts with new ideas.

But it is going to be another soulsborne game because they sell well and that is all people want from them.

Last edited:

Llazy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dont think its tenchu from only made the psp ports for the tenchu games, they are not the main devs of the franchise.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm a bit disappointed in From if it's not BB. You don't hint so strongly to a specific game and have it be something completely different.

If it's a spiritual successor the fair enough but otherwise I really don't like what they did with the teaser.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OmnipotentComponent has provided evidence to the Admins that they are in fact in a position to know what they claim to know. That does not mean we can verify that they are telling the truth or that their information is accurate. As always, the member takes full responsibility for what they post.

Quoting this for new page because some people still seem to think this teaser is for BB2. It's not.

visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
whats-wrong-with-you.gif

I don't think they would put up a trailer like this if it wasn't Bloodborne.

I disliked Bloodborne combat because it forced you into aggressive or nothing playstyle for the most part.

The beauty of dark souls was the open builds and endless combinations. So much replayability.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Quoting this for new page because some people still seem to think this teaser is for BB2. It's not.

At this point, FROM could literally say it's not BB2 and people would still believe it is (I mean they sort of did already, Miyazaki already said they're not working on sequels as for now).

DerAuto

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I disliked Bloodborne combat because it forced you into aggressive or nothing playstyle for the most part.

The beauty of dark souls was the open builds and endless combinations. So much replayability.

That's exactly the part of Dark Souls I don't care about. But I completely get your point.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, that's a perfectly valid reason not to like BB. For the record, I also enjoyed BB, but was really not happy when its combat design started leaking into Dark Souls 3.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I legitimately think this is Kuon related.

01.) All of the sounds in the trailer are sounds used in Kuon. The flutes and drums are brief but both are in Kuon, and the final scraping sound sounds like a remastered version of one of the common 'scare' jingles in Kuon:

02.) In the background the language is ancient Chinese. Japan around the 10th-11th century went from China rule to become their own country before it was known as Japan, they used to use ancient Chinese but around this era began to create Japanese. Kuon is LITERALLY set in this time period, when Japanese culture is starting to rise as it's own thing, but China still is deeply rooted in their culture and language.

03.) On-top of this, the scroll in the background looks quite similar to the scrolls you read documents on in Kuon.

04.) There is a rope on the device, which could very easily be Silk Rope (especially as that's what most rope was made of in ancient Japan):

Kuon takes place in a shrine where they specialize in silk creation, that's literally a HUGE plot point to Kuon about their Silk creation process the Shrine uses, so there being what seems to be silk rope ties heavily into the setting of Kuon, as well as the next bit:

05.) In Kuon, there is a world of meat, lakes of blood, and demons beneath a shrine in ancient Japan. The Shrine needs to torture and sacrifice people to appease the demons so this Underworld will not grow out from beyond beneath the shrine. In the trailer the thing that's working seems like a torture device, it has blood being drawn over it's ropes and are pulling up, ALL of which ties in neatly into Kuon's themes.

06.) "Shadows Die Twice" fits perfectly with Kuon. In Kuon there is two Campaigns, "Chapter of Shadow", and "Chapter of Light", aka Yin and Yang. The game has a strong theme of duality, and without spoiling anything "Shadows Die Twice" fits completely with what happens at the end of Chapter of Shadow campaign in Kuon.

07.) This one is obvious and face value but needs to be said I think:The game has two obvious traits shown in its teaser: ancient Japanese culture and a tinge of horror. The IP that literally fits this description from their repertoire is Kuon.

Hell, the fucking rope thing is literally from the main key art of Kuon:

1512707482596.jpg

There's also lots of small things, like the Souls Team has to know about Kuon as for example the spell system in Bloodborne is literally the spell system From used in Kuon. They also talked about a 'weird' game and a reimagining in their talks of what was supposed to come this year. People often forget that Demon's Soul was a re-imagining of King's Field, I highly suspect what this project is would be a re-imagining of Kuon. I even doubt it'd use Kuon's name, or be Kuon 2 or something, but I'll bet this ends up being a spiritual successor to Kuon.

The teaser's brief and vague so it's hard to be certain of anything, but I think literally there's more evidence this is Kuon related than anything else that's been suggested.

I'm down with this.

visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's a perfectly valid reason not to like BB. For the record, I also enjoyed BB, but was really not happy when its combat design started leaking into Dark Souls 3.

oh I LOVED the game, tbh it's probably my top 5 of all time. The setting, lore, atmosphere and whole package is a Lovecraftian masterpiece. I just really disliked that they forced an aggressive playstyle. It would be perfect if they had shields, more magic and weapons. It almost felt watered down in that reguard. I see why they did it though, the formula was seen as getting stale to some (I personally disagree)

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
You post went unnoticed, but I 100% agree with you. Not only Bloodborne doesn't need a sequel, but the whole obssession about sequels in video games is quite troubling. I understand some people want more of something they love, but they can ask for a reboot, a spiritual successor or anything but a sequel. Some serie I love were butchered by sequels. Good sequels are very rare and most of the time they could have worked as spiritual successor or reboot, yet some can't help themselves.
Actually if you look at strictly sales, fan reception and critical reception it's usually the sequel that is more refined, more ambitious and more beloved in like, the vast majority of popular franchises. Heck sometimes it's the third or 4th entry in a video game franchise before a series hits it stride. That's because video games aren't movies. They are interactive pieces of art that inherently benefit from iteration.

It's actually pretty silly to compare games to film in this regard. My view anyway.

That said I have no desire for a Bloodborne 2 unless that's what from really wants to make. I'd rather see something new, mostly becuause Bloodborne is already technically the 4th game in that style and they pretty much perfected it there.

Peace

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
France
Actually if you look at strictly sales, fan reception and critical reception it's usually the sequel that is more refined, more ambitious and more beloved in like, the vast majority of popular franchises. Heck sometimes it's the third or 4th entry in a video game franchise before a series hits it stride. That's because video games aren't movies. They are interactive pieces of art that inherently benefit from iteration.

It's actually pretty silly to compare games to film in this regard. My view anyway.

That said I have no desire for a Bloodborne 2 unless that's what from really wants to make. I'd rather see something new, mostly becuause Bloodborne is already technically the 4th game in that style and they pretty much perfected it there.

I never spoke about movies or the movie industry, but they aren't different in this regard. Each time a movie is succesful, a sequel has to exist to makes more profit out of the IP, without any regard to the damage that can be done to the aura of the first movie. Those sequels are after thought and turns bad more often than not. Safe money talks better than everything else and sequels in movies mostly are shameless cash grab attempt, unless we're speaking about trilogies that were thought as such from the begining (LOTR etc).

From the top of my head good sequels in the video game industry in the last 20 years are rare, in my opinion. I can think of Mario galaxy 2, Uncharted 2, Portal 2, Half life 2, ZOE2... But the price to pay for those is high, I'll be forever burned by DMC2, MGS2 (technical marvel but a let down overall), KH2 original release, which was awful and Hotline Miami 2. Those are my favorite serie and the sequels to the first game were brutal. I'm kind of ok distant prequel, at least they require some efforts and turns well more often than not (MGS3, DMC3, BBS).

In some genre it's entirely justified though : fighting game, racing game, sport game genre, MP game only... But I still much prefer the way Gran Theft Auto, Persona or Zelda handle it by making a new takes of the serie entirely or completely change the setup.

Not every serie needs sequel and I think people asking for Chrono trigger, TWEWY, Bloodborne, Fez, don't really understand those piece of arts really well and what made them great in the first place (fresh and original proposition yada, yada).

Phonomezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd rather it wasn't another Bloodborne. Game was good but is completely overblown by its irritating fan base.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
I'm seeing a similar style to B.B. in the teaser, but can't help and feel that it will be a new IP akin to what Demons Souls was to Dark Souls if you catch my drift. I'm seeing more of a Japanese theme here than an old world Victorian one considering the music/sound effects choices and the beautiful calligraphy in the background. Can't wait to find out more.

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
I hope it's BB and I don't buy that Sony would necessarily attach themselves to the teaser right away as it'd immediately give away what it is, making the cryptic nature of it pointless. There'll be plenty of time for Sony to do all the promoting they want if it is BB2.

It very well might not be, but I hope it is. I just don't think the fact that there isn't a Sony logo present provides any clarity in either direction.

Ashram_

Dec 13, 2017
Maybe "Shadow's Die Twice" is hinting at a literal major gameplay/story concept? Haha :)

Yep, like « project beast » was a hint.

Bloodborne's about beasts in many ways. In the lore of course, but even for the main character, which is some kind of beast. No mention for bosses, they often are humans who turned into monsters because of the blood.

Shadows is a big hint, makes me think of stealth

Dies is pretty obvious : hardcore difficulty

Twice : sequel (doesn't fit for Tenchu) or, more probably, 2P coop, maybe asymmetric. This could be, as well, 2 points of view for the story, 2 ways of playthrough.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
I never spoke about movies or the movie industry, but they aren't different in this regard. Each time a movie is succesful, a sequel has to exist to makes more profit out of the IP, without any regard to the damage that can be done to the aura of the first movie. Those sequels are after thought and turns bad more often than not. Safe money talks better than everything else and sequels in movies mostly are shameless cash grab attempt, unless we're speaking about trilogies that were thought as such from the begining (LOTR etc).

From the top of my head good sequels in the video game industry in the last 20 years are rare, in my opinion. I can think of Mario galaxy 2, Uncharted 2, Portal 2, Half life 2, ZOE2... But the price to pay for those is high, I'll be forever burned by DMC2, MGS2 (technical marvel but a let down overall), KH2 original release, which was awful and Hotline Miami 2. Those are my favorite serie and the sequels to the first game were brutal. I'm kind of ok distant prequel, at least they require some efforts and turns well more often than not (MGS3, DMC3, BBS).

In some genre it's entirely justified though : fighting game, racing game, sport game genre, MP game only... But I still much prefer the way Gran Theft Auto, Persona or Zelda handle it by making a new takes of the serie entirely or completely change the setup.

not sure how you can say movies aren't different than games in this regard, unless you only ever watch cut scenes and don't actually play video games lol. I guess...agree to disagree? lol

Peace

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
France

I meant that games and movies aren't differents when it comes to cash-in on the names of successful products.

Seven4sses

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I want to believe its a Bloodborne sequel mainly because I took the object in the trailer as a trick weapon mechanism breaking. It just made sense to me based on how it was presented.

Compsiox

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The chisel sold me. It's definitely Bloodborne 2.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Yep, like « project beast » was a hint.

Bloodborne's about beasts in many ways. In the lore of course, but even for the main character, which is some kind of beast. No mention for bosses, they often are humans who turned into monsters because of the blood.

Shadows is a big hint, makes me think of stealth

Dies is pretty obvious : hardcore difficulty

Twice : sequel (doesn't fit for Tenchu) or, more probably, 2P coop, maybe asymmetric. This could be, as well, 2 points of view for the story, 2 ways of playthrough.

Shadows dying twice could fit with their boss design they've settled on and were happy with in DS3 and B.B., where every boss has two distinct phases. If bosses are "shadows", killing them once only leads to the second phase with a second life meter where they'd have to be killed again. This would solve one issue with this design, where in some boss fights you'd be able to dish out a bunch of damage and push well into the second phase to make it easier than it was meant to be.

Just my thoughts if this is indeed an action RPG with typical FromSoft combat.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
While this is bumped, anyone know when the next convention or awards show will be that could feasibly show more of this game?

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Well, as it was bumped.....

I'm confident we will get a Bloodborne 2, but can't decide if this Shadows Die Twice trailer is a tease for that game. Why would a Sony IP get shown off at the game awards? Surly if it was Bloodborne 2 it would have been shown off at PSX.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
That Shadows Die Twice is probably not Bloodborne 2, at least that is my opinion.
In spite of that, I do think that we will get either a sequel to Bloodborne or a different new IP exclusive to the PS4/5.
Sony knows how good Bloodborne was for the PS4, I am sure they may want to repeat the same thing soon, maybe with their next console.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of people here who:

-want BB2 even though Dark Souls 2 was complete ass
-want From Software to become a soulless sequel-factory instead of making wild new and inventive IP's

is absolutely staggering.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
The amount of people here who:

-want BB2 even though Dark Souls 2 was complete ass
-want From Software to become a soulless sequel-factory instead of making wild new and inventive IP's

is absolutely staggering.
We know they're making a game that is 'familiar' to the Souls games. It's not a question of what we want.

Bloodborne is my favourite 'Souls' game, by far, and I don't want a sequel at all, but not because DkS2 wasn't great (although complete ass I don't agree with). I don't want one because Bloodborne was about discovering the truth of the nature of that Universe. We've done that now. It's pointless to go back. It would be like a BioShock 4 after Infinite. It would devalue the central conceit of the previous game.

The question is just that if this is the Souls-like or the other new title. It's obviously not the next Armoured Core.

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
I don't mind if it's not Bloodborne 2 if it is another soulsborne type game. I just hope that it is as good as Bloodborne and dark souls 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.