• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
I really shouldn't probably say anything, and I can't really prove I know anything, but I had two different discussions with two different people at two very different perods of time who both essentially told me the same thing; it's an open world game with very strong horror elements set in ancient Japan that's essentially a reimagining of Kuon.

I'm listening.

Oct 27, 2017
I really shouldn't probably say anything, and I can't really prove I know anything, but I had two different discussions with two different people at two very different perods of time who both essentially told me the same thing; it's an open world game with very strong horror elements set in ancient Japan that's essentially a reimagining of Kuon.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
It could be Bloodborne 2, or it could be something that looks similar to Bloodborne and plays like Bloodborne but isn't Bloodborne

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly wonder how From can innovate the Soulsborne genre past what Dark Souls and Bloodborne already. The former is the jack-of-all-trades and the latter focuses on aggressive melee combat with ranged combat and magic basically not existing. Focusing on defensive combat would be...well, boring, so perhaps they could try a game where magic is the main form of combat?

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
you will be getting a very angry letter from me if this is inaccurate

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, open-world From Software game? The reveal thread for this game will be legendary.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't Dusk Golem wrong about the DLC of RE7?

But it would be cool a survival horror.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for giving us something! I appreciate this. At least you're giving more info than that other guy.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Dusk Golem wrong about the DLC of RE7?

But it would be cool a survival horror.
I'll say this: I wasn't wrong, but there was a huge shift in the project from when I heard about it and the final form. It had a lot to do with a change in the director of the DLC, as the original director left a third of the way in the project to join Nintendo. But I'll talk more about that at another time.

People can choose to believe or not of course, but this is from different people and discussions anyways. I can only share what I hear from others and if they don't mind me sharing as I don't work in these companies but I know quite a few people. One person didn't want me to share, one didn't care, so I was conflicted in mentioning. In this case I think it may be true due to the two very different people I heard it from basically saying the same thing, but honestly it's kind of very broad anyway so I don't know how much it's worth. I probably shouldn't say, but I kind of figure a lot of people might already know this if two different people could tell me.

And frankly it in itself leaves a lot to speculation. For the record I haven't seen this in any way, shape, or form, I'm just passing what I've heard.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say this: I wasn't wrong, but there was a huge shift in the project from when I heard about it and the final form. It had a lot to do with a change in the director of the DLC, as the original director left a third of the way in the project to join Nintendo. But I'll talk more about that at another time.

People can choose to believe or not of course, but this is from different people and discussions anyways. I can only share what I hear from others and if they don't mind me sharing as I don't work in these companies but I know quite a few people. One person didn't want me to share, one didn't care, so I was conflicted in mentioning. In this case I think it may be true due to the two very different people I heard it from basically saying the same thing, but honestly it's kind of very broad anyway so I don't know how much it's worth. I probably shouldn't say, but I kind of figure a lot of people might already know this if two different people could tell me.

And frankly it in itself leaves a lot to speculation. For the record I haven't seen this in any way, shape, or form, I'm just passing what I've heard.

Fromsoft going full horror? Sign me the fuck up.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It looks like some changes happened, i believe in you. But speaking of that, could you talk more about re2 remake? i just want to know if we are going to see the game in E3 this year. :(

Oct 25, 2017
I was already in.

Terrorize me, From!

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Miyazaki himself did say that there were absolutely no plans or any steps taken towards the production of a BB2.

Whatever these new projects are, From's been awfully quiet about them in the dawn of Miyazaki's presidency. I still want to know what that weird, dream game he always wanted to make is though...

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watched a few minutes of Kuon since I have no idea what it is. All I can say is, Shrine of Winter seems to be a common theme for From Software pre-Miyazaki.

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: platform warrior rhetoric.
Whatever it is I hope it's a PS4 exclusive. The best FromSoftware games has been produced when working together with Studio Japan. Also for the salt.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Open world is a term that shrivels my tenderness...

Unless you count DkS's interconnected world as 'open'.

As for platform, if its not on one I own, I'll buy it. The Souls series is the most important new franchise in... I don't know, a long ass time though.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
If its a horror game I'm willing to bet there will be a much bigger focus on puzzle solving with minimal combat. I need to check out video of how Kuon played.

Max Deltree

Oct 31, 2017

That would be really, really awesome. Would you happen to know, by any chance, if the game will have character creation? Every modern From game has (in some way), and would be really personal an horror game with character creation. :)

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
This is topic worthy. I'm still holding out for Bloodborne 2, but we'll have to see how this does. I bet it will be awesome.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Dusk Golem, you said in this thread back in December that it's Kuon related.

I legitimately think this is Kuon related.

01.) All of the sounds in the trailer are sounds used in Kuon. The flutes and drums are brief but both are in Kuon, and the final scraping sound sounds like a remastered version of one of the common 'scare' jingles in Kuon:

02.) In the background the language is ancient Chinese. Japan around the 10th-11th century went from China rule to become their own country before it was known as Japan, they used to use ancient Chinese but around this era began to create Japanese. Kuon is LITERALLY set in this time period, when Japanese culture is starting to rise as it's own thing, but China still is deeply rooted in their culture and language.

03.) On-top of this, the scroll in the background looks quite similar to the scrolls you read documents on in Kuon.

04.) There is a rope on the device, which could very easily be Silk Rope (especially as that's what most rope was made of in ancient Japan):

Kuon takes place in a shrine where they specialize in silk creation, that's literally a HUGE plot point to Kuon about their Silk creation process the Shrine uses, so there being what seems to be silk rope ties heavily into the setting of Kuon, as well as the next bit:

05.) In Kuon, there is a world of meat, lakes of blood, and demons beneath a shrine in ancient Japan. The Shrine needs to torture and sacrifice people to appease the demons so this Underworld will not grow out from beyond beneath the shrine. In the trailer the thing that's working seems like a torture device, it has blood being drawn over it's ropes and are pulling up, ALL of which ties in neatly into Kuon's themes.

06.) "Shadows Die Twice" fits perfectly with Kuon. In Kuon there is two Campaigns, "Chapter of Shadow", and "Chapter of Light", aka Yin and Yang. The game has a strong theme of duality, and without spoiling anything "Shadows Die Twice" fits completely with what happens at the end of Chapter of Shadow campaign in Kuon.

07.) This one is obvious and face value but needs to be said I think:The game has two obvious traits shown in its teaser: ancient Japanese culture and a tinge of horror. The IP that literally fits this description from their repertoire is Kuon.

Hell, the fucking rope thing is literally from the main key art of Kuon:

1512707482596.jpg

There's also lots of small things, like the Souls Team has to know about Kuon as for example the spell system in Bloodborne is literally the spell system From used in Kuon. They also talked about a 'weird' game and a reimagining in their talks of what was supposed to come this year. People often forget that Demon's Soul was a re-imagining of King's Field, I highly suspect what this project is would be a re-imagining of Kuon. I even doubt it'd use Kuon's name, or be Kuon 2 or something, but I'll bet this ends up being a spiritual successor to Kuon.

The teaser's brief and vague so it's hard to be certain of anything, but I think literally there's more evidence this is Kuon related than anything else that's been suggested.

Now, you're saying it is Kuon related. Why four months later come out and say something about it? Jc.

All I will say is from all the evidence and from an angle that I can't fully speculate anymore is that it's not called Kuon 2, but yeah, it's Kuon 2 basically.

I know a lot of people want it to be Bloodborne, but there's a lot of readily available information out there to show it's not, from the words of Miyazaki himself to a confirmed insider here on ResetEra directly saying it isn't. I know people want to believe, but when you're plugging your ears and not listening to the creator of the series and a confirmed insider, you're just dreaming then.

I know Kuon will seem like a stretch to some people, and that's fine. But I will say it's... I'll choose the words 'very probably,' though I want to say more, that it's a new entry to Kuon how Demon Soul's was a new entry to King's Field essentially.

edit: didn't mean to double post, sorry.

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
I adore Bloodborne and it's one of the greatest titles of all time in my humble opinion. But as much as I want more of it, it also needs no sequel. It's a perfectly encapsulated gem, with enough mystery and suggested depth to keep it interesting. Best left alone.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I was getting Kuon and Koudelka confused. Never played Kuon, but a modern From take on survival horror would be incredibly intriguing.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Dusk Golem, you said in this thread back in December that it's Kuon related.

Now, you're saying it is Kuon related. Why four months later come out and say something about it? Jc.

edit: didn't mean to double post, sorry.

I theorized then, I talked with some people afterward is the story there. Between now and then kind of thing.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
Holy shit. The reason Bloodborne attracted me in the first place was because of the dark, gothic atmosphere. If there's more of a horror focus for their next game, I know for sure that I'll be excited as hell. I hope Dusk is right about this one.

I adore Bloodborne and it's one of the greatest titles of all time in my humble opinion. But as much as I want more of it, it also needs no sequel. It's a perfectly encapsulated gem, with enough mystery and suggested depth to keep it interesting. Best left alone.

I agree with this. Another reason why it doesn't need a sequel is because I can't imagine how they'd build on the formula of the souls game following Bloodborne and DS3 The bar set by those two games is pretty high. At the very least, it needs a break.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
I theorized then, I talked with some people afterward is the story there. Between now and then kind of thing.
Hrm, okay. I'm getting so sick of this insider train the old forum and this one has. There needs to be much more strict guidelines if "insider' info is going to be shared, regardless of whether you're the actual leaker or not.
This game sounds awesome but I wish we knew nothing, would have been a cool surprise for E3.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if an open world is a good thing or not. I'd have hoped they would expand on the idea of a connected world like they did on DS and BB. I guess we'll have to wait and see. The horror part however is fuckin good.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland

Strong horror elements sound absolutely wonderful, since that's what I loved the most about Bloodborne as well. From going with the open world fad like everyone else is anything but wonderful though, since the "Metroidvania" structure works far better.

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017

Open-world? I hope it's more of an interconnected setting with decent level variety. So is it more of a horror game than a dark fantasy game? Is the combat system similar to the Souls series (melee combat systems, challenging and difficult encounters) or is it something completely new?

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I really need a Japanese horror game now... There is no such level games in this GEN. I miss Siren,Fatal Frame...

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
whatever it is...i sure hope FROM learn something in terms of engine optimization for their next game on console...

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game will be to Bloodborne what Dark Souls was to Demon's Souls.

Dec 3, 2017
Let's hope not. I don't want From to make another stupid console exclusive when they could make a game on a platform that can actually run games well. A 120hz From game would be so very nice.

What I wouldn't mind, assuming that it's another Souls style game, is something like the first Dark Souls: basically take the Bloodborne aesthetic, which is really awesome, only make a new game out of it and release it on all platforms.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Horror like BB or RE? I hope it's the first because I really can't play games with heavy on horror.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Sad that it isn't Bloodborne 2 but big horror focus is the next best thing. I need more japanese horror games this gen. When it comes to decent budget ones there's RE7 and... that's kinda it, huh? You could of course count Bloodborne as a horror game too but that's another discussion entirely.

rip Silent Hills

I'm very sceptical on DMC5 dipping their toes into that pool.

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude...that's the kind of Bloodborne surrogate I gladly approve.

HOLD ME!

Status
Not open for further replies.