• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfstruck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's better if you guys stop spreading that 3 games exclusive from From. The rumor was from Verendus.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Eh, Kuon looks janky as hell, not sure how enjoyable a sequel would be. Bloodborne 2, on the other hand, would be amazing.
I dont know why you would use the original Kuon, a game from 2004, as the basis for what a new game that From Software is making in 2018... As stated:
Look up King's Field, which was the basis for Dark Souls.

People are saying Kuon could be the basis for this new game.

And yeah, Kuon followup is what I would put my money on.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
Are we sure about this contract? I keep hearing about it. I've heard it's three games. One is Bloodborne. What could the other two be? I hope the other one is at least a sequel to Bb.
What kind of contract are we talking about? Is it Verendus then you can throw that in the trash bin.

He said From Software was working on an JRPG with Sony which is not true referring to Dusk Golem's and Killer Queen's information. He also said Japan Studio is working internally on an JRPG like Final Fantasy which is not true either when Ruin4r has been teasing an unnamed space project from WWS (didn't say which studio in 2015 before E3).

So I would say the contract is pure BS. Japan Studio is not dealing with contracts according to Allan Becker. If they have a desire to collaborate with that creative individual they will contact them.

Jason Schreier has already called Verendus out as a fraud.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of contract are we talking about? Is it Verendus then you can throw that in the trash bin.

He said From Software was working on an JRPG with Sony which is not true referring to Dusk Golem's and Killer Queen's information. He also said Japan Studio is working internally on an JRPG like Final Fantasy which is not true either when Ruin4r has been teasing an unnamed space project from WWS (didn't say which studio in 2015 before E3).

So I would say the contract is pure BS. Japan Studio is not dealing with contracts according to Allan Becker. If they have a desire to collaborate with that creative individual they will contact them.

What did verendus actually get right? I know he was teasing beast souls or whatever before project beast leaked.

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Isn't Verendus the one who made up FFXV impressions?

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
Isn't Verendus the one who made up FFXV impressions?
Yes.

Don't listen to him. He was playing us like a damn fiddle and we unfortunate ate up everything he created for his gospel.

The more information we get about From Software the more of a troll Verendus was than a real insider.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I remember when I suggested that this might not be Bloodborne 2 and got bombarded with "It will be at PSX so shut the fuck up." We instead got a picture of Miyazaki sleeping during the PSX conference.

My theory will remain that this is likely a spiritual successor to Bloodborne that will be multiplatform similar to how Dark Souls was the spiritual successor to Demon Souls.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
I remember when I suggested that this might not be Bloodborne 2 and got bombarded with "It will be at PSX so shut the fuck up." We instead got a picture of Miyazaki sleeping during the PSX conference.

My theory will remain that this is likely a spiritual successor to Bloodborne that will be multiplatform similar to how Dark Souls was the spiritual successor to Demon Souls.
How many times does insiders like Omnipotent, Dusk Golem and Killer Queen had to repeat themselves.

Spiritual successor to Bloodborne is not happening. Anything Soulsborne related is done for now.

Why are people so obsessed with the idea of spiritual successor to Dark Souls and Bloodborne? Moving away from the Soulsborne brand means no Dark Souls or Bloodborne with a different name.

There is an action RPG in development according to Killer Queen that is moving away from the Soulsborne brand. But there is also other genres in development because From wants to experiment again.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
How many times does insiders like Omnipotent, Dusk Golem and Killer Queen had to repeat themselves.

Spiritual successor to Bloodborne is not happening. Anything Soulsborne related is done for now.

Why are people so obsessed with the idea of spiritual successor to Dark Souls and Bloodborne? Moving away from the Soulsborne brand means no Dark Souls or Bloodborne with a different name.

There is an action RPG in development according to Killer Queen that is moving away from the Soulsborne brand. But there is also other genres in development because From wants to experiment again.

Its amazing really how people will blind themselves even when information is right in their face.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR

I like what you are thinking. Sounds reasonable and going multi platform will bring in those $ for FROM.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting so you say it wasn't Miyazaki's idea?
Im sure Miyazaki and others expanded on the ideas and concepts and had their own. But i imagine that the broadstrokes were brought in by Sony then some back and forth brainstorming between From and the team. I cant point out who came up with what exactly, but I do know the general idea came from Sony.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I'm down for whatever. Something fresh and interesting would be awesome and I'd be fine with a Bloodborne 2 or a new Souls in a different setting. Either way, It will be awesome.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Im sure Miyazaki and others expanded on the ideas and concepts and had their own. But i imagine that the broadstrokes were brought in by Sony then some back and forth brainstorming between From and the team. I cant point out who came up with what exactly, but I do know the general idea came from Sony.

Do you know this for sure or are you referencing that one video where Shu says JapanStudio proposed the idea to work with From/Miyazaki rather than the idea of Bloodborne.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I want this game to have the core Souls formula. I don't care if it's a new IP or a sequel to Bloodborne.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...ame-ps4-exclusive-says-possible-ps4/#/slide/1

It's more likely that Sony realized they fucked up with Demon's Souls, FROM was the new hotness at the time and Sony wanted what they figured would be a system seller (which is what they got). If that article has any truth to it, and with how similar (stripped down, but still similar) it plays like the other Souls games, if Sony had any overall influence, the impact was minimal.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...ame-ps4-exclusive-says-possible-ps4/#/slide/1

It's more likely that Sony realized they fucked up with Demon's Souls, FROM was the new hotness at the time and Sony wanted what they figured would be a system seller (which is what they got). If that article has any truth to it, and with how similar (stripped down, but still similar) it plays like the other Souls games, if Sony had any overall influence, the impact was minimal.
Im talking about the themes of the game, not mechanics or gameplay. So the victorian setting, lovecraft influence, etc. The circumstances youre presenting of the collaberation coming together are correct to an extent(which ive already talked about). But From and Sony have a good relationship from what I can tell.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Im talking about the themes of the game, not mechanics or gameplay. So the victorian setting, lovecraft influence, etc. The circumstances youre presenting of the collaberation coming together are correct to an extent(which ive already talked about). But From and Sony have a good relationship from what I can tell.

I always wanted to make a game set in the Victorian era, but to make it look good — with all the clothing and the architecture and things — required a console more powerful than the ones that were around. the arrival of the PS4 finally gave us that. Bloodborne isn't a game that could have been cross-generation, it was only possible on PS4.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Im not really looking to do a back and forth on the subject. But im posting about the situation as I understand it from a combination of public information and independant direct confirmation. Saying you want to make a game set in a specific era is one thing, but Bloodborne is a bit more than just a victorian era game. Like I said, i dont know exactly who came up with what specifically and to what degree, but as I understand it. Sony approached From with the idea for the game. which ideas, im not entirely sure. But i wouldnt say their input was minimal.

Oct 25, 2017
From every Miyazaki interview I've read, I have a hard time believing the themes came from Sony.

Everything just points torwards Sony wanting to work with From, and specifically saying they don't want Demon's Souls 2. I'm sure they played a role, since they were a part of the discussion, but I don't think they actually came up with the concept and pitched it to From.

Miyazaki even talks about reproduction and how more complex species have less children, and imagined what it would be like if there were species so advanced out there that they can't have any. This is one of the strongest driving forces of the game's story and events. You can also see a clear influence from authors like Lovecraft and Chambers as early as Demon's Souls. He just decided to make an entire game in that genre, instead of just briefly referencing it.

Didn't Miyazaki say that the weird game would be some kind of RPG inspired by Evangelical?
He said he wanted to make a game in the vein of Escaflowne once, but he never said it was actually something they were making.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
From every Miyazaki interview I've read, I have a hard time believing the themes came from Sony.

Everything just points torwards Sony wanting to work with From, and specifically saying they don't want Demon's Souls 2. I'm sure they played a role, since they were a part of the discussion, but I don't think they actually came up with the concept and pitched it to From.

Miyazaki even talks about reproduction and how more complex species have less children, and imagined what it would be like if there were species so advanced out there that they can't have any. This is one of the strongest driving forces of the game's story and events. You can also see a clear influence from authors like Lovecraft and Chambers as early as Demon's Souls. He just decided to make an entire game in that genre, instead of just briefly referencing it.
Im just relaying what Ive been told. I dont really have any reason to doubt the sources words. Maybe the conversation went "we know youve done some lovecraftian work in the past, we're also interested in that and think you could make a good game out of cosmic horror." And perhaps there was a mutual interest there where Fromsoft ran with the idea and expanded on it while injecting their own themes. But I would imagine only a small few people would know the extend of said discussions and I wouldn't be one of them.

Deleted member 15538

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't think they'll release another exclusive soon, would make more sense to have it within the first year on PS5.
There is also a VR game I believe.

Oct 26, 2017
Getting both a survival horror game and an Action RPG that continues/evolves the Souls formula would be best case scenario for me so I hope it's true.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

He said he wanted to make a game in the vein of Escaflowne once, but he never said it was actually something they were making.
It's literally said at 3:00 in this video

Japan Studio pitched the base idea, and from there it was a collaboration with Miyazaki as Director.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
My bad, DemonNite. What happened to him?
He just disappeared. I think it was all the tease he did that ruined surprises for users on NeoGAF and who complained on it.

Japan Studio pitched the base idea, and from there it was a collaboration with Miyazaki as Director.

Head of external development group said this and I don't know why they keep questioning someone who took a part in the development and was there.

Miyazaki said he has always wanted to do Victorian setting. Japan Studio came to him and asked if he wants to expand on Lovecraft he loves so much and they should go for cosmic horror this time.

Even the lead producer from Japan Studio said in the interview he wanted more action oriented combat than Demon's Souls. So they revisited this collaboration to try a new direction. They wanted to go beyond Demon's Souls players. He wanted Bloodborne to appeal to action and RPG players.

With all that being said, there is no direction that say "let's make another action RPG like Bloodborne again" as many here wants to happen.

Masaaki Yamagiwa comes from action games and not action RPGs. If anything next time they will expand on horror without RPG elements and try open-world instead of the semi-open world formula we have seen in the Soulsborne games.

Even lead game designer Kazuhiro Hamatani worked on Bloodborne as his first action RPG. His background is mainly action-adventure like Otogi and Ninja Blade. Survival horror with Kuon. Action game like Metal Wolf Chaos.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
Taking from Metro UK's translation from 4Gamer interview with Miyazaki in June 2016.

Project 1: An action role-playing game with a dark fantasy setting similar to Dark Souls, but approached from a "different angle".

Project 2: A reboot of an existing franchise.

Project 3: A brand new IP that's something different from what the company has been doing previously and "a bit weird".

Dusk Golem's input is interesting and helps a lot.

4Gamer interview 12/28 2015
Japan Studio producer Teruyuki Toriyama (Bloodborne):
"I will try my best to deliver an ambitious title in 2016, so please support SIE Japan Studio from now on!"

4Gamer interview 12/27 2016
Japan Studio producer Teruyuki Toriyama:
"While I can't provide any details yet, we're also moving forward with creation of ambitious new titles and concept for new games, so please continue to support SIE Japan Studio In 2017!"

Japan Studio producer Masaaki Yamagiwa (Bloodborne):
"Since behind the scenes activities have been ongoing since Bloodborne, I hope this will be a year that bears the fruit we've built upon so far."

4Gamer interview 12/28 2017
Japan Studio producer Teruyuki Toriyama:
"In 2018, I intend to take on new challenges such as ambitious title announcements and fully starting a new project currently in planning, so please continue to support SIE Japan Studio in the future."

Japan Studio senior producer Kentaro Motomura (Bloodborne):
"I hope to be able to put out a follow-up report on the mobile version of Wild Arms already announced by ForwardWorks, as well as debut unannounced title(s) and so on. Please give us your support next year."

Japan Studio producer Masaaki Yamagiwa:
"Like last year, we have been active behind the scenes since Bloodborne, so I'd like to make 2018 the year all we have done so far bears fruit. Please look forward to it."

There you have it, now let's speculate on project 1 as I assume that is the multiplat project. Project 3 is with SIE Japan Studio that falls in line with what Dusk Golem has information on horror, open world and set in ancient Japan.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Of course BB was likely an idea from combining the most popular PS2 action game Devil May Cry with Souls-formula. You have business guys who works hard on finding ideas which will sell and you have From which mainly makes Mecha and fantastic Souls games with boring fantasy setting

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Bruh..

Sony Japan involved with it? I tried..
Silent can you tell me if this ARPG will use the same engine as BB and DS3 ?

Last pages are fueling my hype for this e3

My take is that From is working on atleast two new games and they probably following this formula:

New multiplat ARPG franchise (like DS1-3)
New Sony collaboration (like BB)

Thanks Henrik, Omnipotent and ASilentProtagonist for all the info

Unfortunately, as of now, I really can't say anymore. I'll be in talks with some admins for a bit, but I should be able to drop some teases/info around May.

Auctopus

Self-requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Holy shit, thank you for posting this. I knew this existed somewhere but the amount of times people on this forum post "Only FROM could come up with Bloodborne" is such ignorant fanboyism. The talking out the ass of "Sony Japan was only there to help them run it on PS4" and ridiculous armchair comments like that.

Deleted member 4067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, thank you for posting this. I knew this existed somewhere but the amount of times people on this forum post "Only FROM could come up with Bloodborne" is such ignorant fanboyism. The talking out the ass of "Sony Japan was only there to help them run it on PS4" and ridiculous armchair comments like that.

I don't know why people keep spreading that video

"To speak precisely on the timing, it was just about when we were wrapping up Prepare to Die when Sony approached From Software," Hidetaka Miyazaki told us. His response to Sony? "Why don't we start talking about next-gen?"

But of course, the world of Bloodborne was something that Miyazaki had been thinking about for quite some time. "...the game mechanics, or the gothic theme for example, those were some areas or concepts that were always brewing, and one of the areas that I always wanted to achieve in my career, and I knew that when that trigger was pulled, this was it."

Read the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.