• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Animal Crossing for the GC released in mid September in the US
Wild World in December
City Folk in November
And New Leaf in June (although in November in Japan)

So I doubt that factors in at all

Deleted member 42221

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
You're absolutely right. Also doesn't the Animal Crossing team make Splatoon? Splatoon 2 was fairly recent so I don't think 2018 is on the cards at all. Hell, 2019 might not be.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I am seriously concerned about what Nintendo will have for 2020 at this point considering 2019 is looking to be a packed year. I am not sure why the first half of this year was so dry. I don't think Animal Crossing will be later than 2019 though given the long amount of time from New Leaf already and the mobile app which is still fresh in a lot of people's minds.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
You're absolutely right. Also doesn't the Animal Crossing team make Splatoon? Splatoon 2 was fairly recent so I don't think 2018 is on the cards at all. Hell, 2019 might not be.
The team typically works on multiple projects at once. Splatoon 2 was also heavily based on the original game which really cut down on dev time-less than 2yrs between the original and 2's release iirc.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Alright, we're finished with the game! This will sell great this holiday!"

"Sorry, I can't allow this game to release. It's snowing outside."

Oct 27, 2017
I actually think AC will be released this Summer so it's a moot point about the weather. Nintendo badly needs something to come out in the next month or two to get some momentum for the Fall and whatever they're releasing then. AC is the perfect game to do just that. I'd be very surprised and disappointed if it doesn't come out soon tbh.

Oct 27, 2017
The team typically works on multiple projects at once. Splatoon 2 was also heavily based on the original game which really cut down on dev time-less than 2yrs between the original and 2's release iirc.
I don't think that was ever stated as a reason...

I actually think AC will be released this Summer so it's a moot point about the weather. Nintendo badly needs something to come out in the next month or two to get some momentum for the Fall and whatever they're releasing then. AC is the perfect game to do just that. I'd be very surprised and disappointed if it doesn't come out soon tbh.

Did you forget about Mario Tennis Aces?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's happening this year. I feel like Smash and Pokemon will end up being the big Nintendo games we get this fall. I'd love to be wrong though

Jan 9, 2018
If we get animal crossing smash Pokémon and fire embleM I don't think I'll touch another system outside of exclusives for 10 years

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
They also have a Pokémon game coming out that is heavily inspired by and has connectivity to Pokémon Go. This game comes out in November. Also Nintendo has released Animal Crossing games around winter too.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon, Smash, and Fire Emblem this Fall, there is little reason to have a big hitter like AC this year. Better to just save it for 2019.

A great 2019 lineup for Nintendo would be Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, Pokemon RPG, Animal Crossing, Retro's title.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing seems prime Early 2019 material to me. My money is on April

Nov 1, 2017
I don't care when it comes out I just want an announcement.
Confirmation that it's coming sooner rather than later and is actually a full fledged sequel to New Leaf.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
As much as I hate to admit it, you're probably right. iirc New Leaf released in Spring. Still, I'd love for them to bring it out and release it this summer/fall.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
Animal Crossing is Nintendo's biggest female-skewing franchise, it's a system seller and the last entry came out almost 6 years ago. It simply HAS to be among Nintendo's highest priorities to get running on Switch. It's not too crazy thinking it could come this year bye.

Nikachu

Jan 14, 2018
Theories aside I really just don't think it's coming this year, I think it's gonna definitely be a 2019 Title

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I don't think your reason is why they won't rekease it in 2018 - but I do now think it may be Spring 2019 since Smash and Pokemon are this fall. They don't NEED to release it this fall with those 2 juggernauts releasing. However, it's the one if tode 3 I want the most, by far, so I hope they do release it this year

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Only way I see it happening is if Fire Emblem gets pushed to 2019. I agree with the consensus that with Pokemon this year they don't need to rush out an AC. But damn I think it's overdue.

It's not a real Pokémon though, just one of those spinoffs that always underwhelm. Next year we actually are getting a real Pokémon, so we should hold AC back to go against that? This year's lineup is pretty sub par. Something like Animal Crossing would really improve things. Next year we probably have Metroid Prime and Pokémon, so next year is already in good shape.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's not a real Pokémon though, just one of those spinoffs that always underwhelm. Next year we actually are getting a real Pokémon, so we should hold AC back to go against that? This year's lineup is pretty sub par. Something like Animal Crossing would really improve things. Next year we probably have Metroid Prime and Pokémon, so next year is already in good shape.

There has never been a "spinoff" like this one. It's real Pokemon but with casual elements which most certainly could interest people who like AC.

kitsuneyo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
It depends what the Switch games pipeline is like and whether Nintendo can make enough Switches to fill demand for Pokemon, AC and all the rest this year. I guess if we do see AC this year, it means Nintendo has even more awesome stuff lined up in 2019!

But I'd guess AC is a 2019 game yeah.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
Given the audience Animal Crossing is aiming for, it makes more sense to release it further down the line once the console is cheaper. This way, it acts as a system seller to more casual gamers who aren't interested in Zelda and Mario but it also acts a supplementary title to current console owners.

One of the things the Wii got right with its software strategy was the focus on releasing 'core' focused system sellers early on and then the more casual friendly titles from around late 2008 to mid-2010. They seem to be copying that strategy with the Switch.

100% expect both my girlfriend and her mother to buy a Switch for Animal Crossing down the line if the system is available for around £199 here in the U.K.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think we'll get Animal Crossing before the fiscal year is over. No reason for me to believe it. Just a hunch

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With the announcement of Smash and Pokemon, I've lost all hope of Animal a Crossing being at E3, and that makes me sad.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
honestly I think the reason it's not releasing is that they don't need it and it's a big card that they can play later. pokemon, smash, and potentially fortnite are coming by the end of the year. you don't need more than that. I wouldn't be surprised to see animal crossing come at the beginning of the next fiscal year just to spread the love out.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
latest
lol

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
We have Smash and Pokemon I don't think it's gonna happen either.

Aren't you guys overestimating the effect of Smash a little? I mean, yeah, it is a huge game, but it's still nothing more than a fighting game. The last entry didn't have much effect on Wii U and 3DS hardware sales and software wise, it was behind Nintendo's big guys like Zelda, Pokémon, AC,etc. Sure it's going to be a multi million seller, but it and Pokémon alone won't generate ~20m of hardware sales. There needs to be another big name for this fall.

What about Yoshi and Fire Emblem??

Assuming FE will be revealed at E3 and released before the end of the year, there isn't enough time for monthly updates the game needs, 5 months are just not enough. FE is without a doubt a 2019 title.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Assuming FE will be revealed at E3 and released before the end of the year, there isn't enough time for monthly updates the game needs, 5 months are just not enough. FE is without a doubt a 2019 title.
I would definitely take that bet if I didn't already make several others with other people lol. Literally just last year Nintendo announced an FE game in late January and released it in early May. So I'm not sure what you're talking about if you think doing it again would be so unrealistic.

I also don't know what you mean by monthly updates. Not every FE game or even every Nintendo game in general has received monthly updates, so that point is moot.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a early 2020 game.
That's too late.

Nintendo needs it ASAP, it's evergreen and it captures the much desired female audience.

Gap between platform and Animal Crossing release:

NDS - Wild World: 13 months (Switch version would come out in May 2018)
Wii - City Folk: 24 months (Switch version: March 2019)
3DS - New Leaf: 21 months (Switch version: December 2018)

It's coming.

MjpUECG.gif

Jan 9, 2018
If we get fire emblem this year it wouldn't make sense to put out animal crossing this year.
I think it's animal crossing next spring with a new 2d Mario game and prime 4 next fall.
Pikmin in the summer and other random stuff to fill gaps

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure if AC has ever come out alongside Pokémon before, and feel like it won't be doing that on Switch. I think it could be in Kirby's spot next year, if it's anywhere near complete, that is.

Haha, people used to say that about Smash Bros, and there's still zero updates since it was announced.

Last edited:

borges

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Argentina
offtopic and stupid comment, but every time I read the title of this thread on the main page, I read "Theorry:..." like the name of the user. lol.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
There has never been a "spinoff" like this one. It's real Pokemon but with casual elements which most certainly could interest people who like AC.

It's pretty similar to Pokemon go, which while hugely popular was also free. I'm not saying it won't sell well. But it won't sell like next year's game will, in my opinion. I think even Animal crossing switch will outsell it. So delaying AC for let's go and pitting it against a real Pokemon game next year would be dubious logic to me.